Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis Thread - Official
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis Thread - Official  (Read 95086 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »

I was supposed to play tennis for the first time ever today, but the windy conditions have canceled my plans.

We'll try again tomorrow.

I bought a Wilson racket and a canister of Wilson Official U.S. Open balls.

The whole transaction only set me back $20!
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »

I was supposed to play tennis for the first time ever today, but the windy conditions have canceled my plans.

We'll try again tomorrow.

I bought a Wilson racket and a canister of Wilson Official U.S. Open balls.

The whole transaction only set me back $20!

You never know, the wind may have helped....blowing the right way Tongue
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2009, 04:36:38 AM »

Agassi on meth? I would've never thought of that...

Agassi's tennis career was a rollercoaster; lot's of ups and downs.

I remember right after his win in Wimbledon in 1992, he soon dissapeared from the tennis world for at least 18 months. Out of shape and out of touch. He then came back as a truly underdog in the US open series in 1994 where he win his first US open.

On a side note,  I'm going to London in 3 weeks to catch some of the ATP World Tour Finals. My plan is to attend two days (if budget allows). I'll post some pics  yes
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »

Agassi on meth? I would've never thought of that...

Agassi's tennis career was a rollercoaster; lot's of ups and downs.

I remember right after his win in Wimbledon in 1992, he soon dissapeared from the tennis world for at least 18 months. Out of shape and out of touch. He then came back as a truly underdog in the US open series in 1994 where he win his first US open.

On a side note,  I'm going to London in 3 weeks to catch some of the ATP World Tour Finals. My plan is to attend two days (if budget allows). I'll post some pics  yes

Have a great trip, Ignatius.

I got to play on Thursday, I had so much fun.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »

already got Agassi's book preordered

one of my fave athletes of all time

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #265 on: November 01, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »

I have great respect for Andre Aggasi...and this latest news does nothing to change that opinion.  Smiley
Crystal meth or no crystal meth, I really love that guy.

btw, I know nothing about crystal meth (Crystal Light yes) but not crystal meth.  Is it smoked, inhaled, or what? 
Not that I do drugs, I was just curious how the hell it is taken.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »

Is it smoked, inhaled, or what? 

Yes.

(I've never done drugs either, but I know...  nervous)

Andre is my favorite ever and I could care less about his mistakes.  That would be like ditching Axl because he has done a few bad things.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »

Fuck Safin...Fuck Navratilova...and anybody else who continues to diss Agassi.
Navratilova compared Andre to Clemens.  Fuck that!  Agassi took a recreational drug proven to FUCK YOU UP!  He didn't take a drug that enhanced his performance, it fucks up performance.  If anything, give the man some credit for crawling out of that pit!  Such assholes.  I can't wait to hear some voices that (while not condoning the behavior) have some sympathy and respect for the guy.
 rant

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

I don't really care if Agassi used meth or not. That's not an enhancing drug, but neither it's cocaine and players like Richard Gasquet, Puerta have been suspended from using it. Agassi should've been suspended as well.

People are not dissing him cause he used meth and was not suspended. People are dissing him cause what he says is a disgrace and insult to the sport.

A friend of mine read the book and some of the stuff Agassi says is pretty fucking shocking.

One of the things he says is how he let  Michael Chang beat him in the Semi final of the AUS open in 96 cause he (Andre) didnt want to face Boris Becker in the final. Apperantly, Agassi and Becker never liked each other and Andre was worried that Boris was going to constanly blow kisses his girlfriend at the time... (Brooke Shields)

Then we have the FO final in 1990 against Andres Gomes. Agassi lost the final and he didnt really care.  At the time Andre was already wearing a wig and he was more concerned that the wig was going to fall off his head than really losing or winning the match.

Also he disses Pistol Pete (calls him a boring robot), and his Davis Cup mates Courier and Chang.

On Sampras: Agassi says Sampras "sounds more robotic than" a parrot. At his depths, Agassi thinks: "I envy Pete's dullness. I wish I could emulate his spectacular lack of inspiration, and his peculiar lack of need for inspiration." Agassi tells of betting coach Brad Gilbert about how much Sampras tipped a parking valet; they ask the valet, who says $1; Agassi's conclusion: "We could not be more different, Pete and I."

_On Chang: "He thanks God ? credits God ? for the win, which offends me. That God should take sides in a tennis match, that God should side against me, that God should be in Chang's box, feels ludicrous and insulting. I beat Chang and savor every blasphemous stroke." When Chang wins the 1989 French Open, Agassi thinks, "I feel sickened. How could Chang, of all people, have won a slam before me?"

Pretty shocking stuff to be honest. I mean, letting Chang win because he was concerned if Becker could annoy Shields? Agassi wearing a wig and making such a big deal about it, big enough that he would not care about winning a Gran Slam final?

I have respect for Agassi as to the obstacles he's overcome and the player he later became, but  I have to admit, some of the things he did make him look bad, not to mention unprofessional. No wonder why people are dissing him. Losing a match on purpose and screwing up a GS final because your wig could fall apart doesn't really speak greatness.

Links to the info above.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/292738,agassi-book-says-hair-his-biggest-worry-at-first-grand.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis-ace-andre-agassi-deliberately-lost-australian-open-semi/story-e6frf9if-1225795908193
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:31:21 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »

I'm going to London this friday. I already have tickets for the ATP world Tour Finals on tuesday the 24th (evening session). Can't wait!

I'll happy if I see Nadal or Verdasco, but any match would do really. The best of the best will be at London.

Group A

Fedex
Muzza
Verdasco
Delpo

Group B

Rafa
Djoker
David Enko
SoderKing

Strong favorites are Djokovic, Davidenko and Murray. I have a feeling Nadal won't pass the round robin matches (He will win 1 lose 2).

Federer remains a mystery. He has not really played since the US open, he's out of tune, but he's the most talented player of them lot.

Delpo has lost early in all tourneys since the US open too.  I don't think he'll pass the first round either.

I'll post some pics  yes

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #270 on: November 26, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

Delpo defeated Federer and qualified to semifinals!!

goodbye Murray! So long, farewell!  beer

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2009, 03:27:29 AM »

I came back from London last night and boy..what a week.

I attended two night sessions. First night I got to seat in a box high up. Lots of space and good view but not close enough to my taste. The match I saw was Murray Vs Federer. To my surprise, the crowd rooted for Federer more than they did for Murray. The swiss was cheered before, during and after the match. The O2 arena was packed, with the execption of a few empty seats scattered around the low tier.

On Wednesday I attended the night session as well. This time Rafa was up against Davidenko. I do have to say I have not ever been to a sports event where the crowd was so one sided (not even football). It's increible to witness the following and fan base Rafa has in the UK. The whole crowd was behind him from the first minute. Maybe the crowd was different or they were just simple drunk, but Rafa got more cheers and claps than Federer and Murray the night before. The Arena was packed as well, only a few seats empty in the low tier too.

This time around I purchase low tier tickets, very close to the court, the view was much better than being in the box the night before.  The match was more or less what I expected. Nadal is not playing with confidence and against top players it shows. I must've said "Vamos Rafa" like a million times throughout the match.

As far as the match itself, first set against the russian was one sided, the second however could've gone either way. Rafa played much more aggresive which put him in a position to win the second set. In the end the russian prevailed with a deserved win.

On group A things were so equal. Verdasco lost all matches but he managed to take to a third set tie break in the last two. Murray, Fedex and Del Potro won the same number of matches and sets, so the tie breaker had to be games won and lost. Delpo beat Murray by ONE way and advanced to the semis.

I'll post some pics soon  Smiley
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #272 on: February 03, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »

Is Nadal going to be healthy for the French Open?

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
domi
Kashmir
Rocker

Vae Victis!

« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »

From what I read he is injured for at least a month . But the French Open doesn't start until may 23 so there is enough time to recover and hopefully come back in full strength.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:35:17 PM by domi » Logged

Omne ius hominum causa constitutum.
(Hermogenian, D. 1,5,2)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

Things Get Ugly Between Two Legends At Charity Event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSK9t6OrgU
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2010, 05:47:30 AM »

From what I read he is injured for at least a month . But the French Open doesn't start until may 23 so there is enough time to recover and hopefully come back in full strength.

Truer words have never been spoken. Nadal has swept the clay court season and breaking Agassi's record of 17 Master Series (or 1000's) tournaments at only 23.

Things are looking well for the French Open.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »

Bump.

Nadal's won the French Open for the Fifth time!  Cheesy

This victory means a lot to Rafa. Not only he's shut down those critics who said his career was over after last year's injuries and lack of confidence. He's done it in style beating no other than Soderling (the guy who beat him last year). And he's even killed two birds with the same stone as he will be number #1 again from tomorrow.

Nadal, who just turned 24, has already 7 GS titles under his belt (just one short of the likes of Lendl, Connors or Agassi), 18 Master series events (he holds the all time best) and a 40 singles titles in his young career.  (Federer has 62).

Next is Wimbledon in two weeks!

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »

Damn, from what I know this will leave Federer one week shy of most weeks at #1 behind Pete.  I hope he can bounce back at Wimbledon!  Hopefully we get something similar to last years Roddick/Federer final as opposed to the domination Rafa showed in this most recent French final.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2010, 09:00:32 PM »

All I have to say is how the hell is the tennis thread at the top of this page with the stanley cup finals game 5 and nba finals game 2 on tonight...this is ridiculous

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:19 AM »

I have to say is how the hell is the tennis thread at the top of this page with the stanley cup finals game 5 and nba finals game 2 on tonight...this is ridiculous

I guess this thread would not have been so ridiculous if an american had just won the French Open...

BTW Eazy, Federer has a difficult year ahead. He defends 2000 points at Wimbly (Nadal defends nothing) and runner up at the US Open and Cincy. This only means that even if Nadal lost in the first round of Wimbledon and Federer won the title, Nadal will still be number 1.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: