Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227904 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  LPs revisited...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: LPs revisited...  (Read 11007 times)
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »

I wonder if they could've just postponed the vinyl release a few weeks in order to fix the issues....

It's not like the whole release was gonna be postponed.

Maybe it wasn't possible to fix it since it was a double album and the fix might've required them to make it a triple?

/jarmo

I think your right on both ends.  It is somewhat common for the vinyl version of some new albums to come out on a later date, no big deal. 

But in CD's case I think the only sure fire way to fix the issue is/was to make it 3LPs, but it was probably to late in the process for that to be pheasable.  Makes you wonder if anyone at the record company actually listened to a test pressing before they gave the ok to press the whole lot.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 06:04:14 PM »

Well, got my player and have it set up. Packed out all my old vinyl, from Michael Jackson to Springsteen, Sabbath to Zep, and now ofcourse Chinese Democracy...

ok

Here's the thing: I have a semi-serious set-up. An Onkyo SR606 amp (critical darling), Atlantic Tech front and center speakers and subwoof, with Eltac back speakers and now a Pro-Ject Debut III record vinyl player.

And it (Chinese) sounds .... GREAT!!  Cool

The album is in the std. packaging, with the records themselves being 180 gram vinyl and in black glossy covers. From what I've heard so far, the sound is terrific. It's fat and warm. I can't say it's better than the compact disc version, because you probably won't find any better mastered/produced album around.. at all. Seriously.

But it sounds terrific and I'm going to really dig in over the next weeks. Vinyls can be fickle: I also got the latest Black Crowes (Warpaint) and it's also 180 gram - but a picture disc! The packaging and everything is ace, top notch, but I'm hearing major groove dirt on all the cuts. Even after having wiped it (the record) down repeatedly! Bummer.

As for Chinese and inner groove distortion; I'll check back when I've given it some more spins.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »

^^^^^^
That's a nice turntable you have.  What kind of cartridge are you using?  I think your setup should reduce the inner groove distortion quite a bit.  I am currently running a technics sl1200 mk5 with a AT 440mla stylus, and it does wonders for the IGD.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

Have been BLASTING Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and Sketches from Spain - both on 200 gram vinyl - all day, and the sound is warm, fuzzy, deep and wide. My audio setup is really good. However, I bought it all throwing my money in the face of someone who knows his hi-fi - I went in pretty much blindfolded!

Same for the cartridge.. I have no idea. It's what the shop recommended. They're pretty savvy, so it's probably top of the line. I know I paid plenty!

I must say; Chinese Democracy sounds great. I can't wait to really stretch its legs!

Cool

Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 08:37:05 AM »

Okay. So now having been hearing Chinese Democracy on vinyl (bought in Europe) for the past couple of weeks on my new set-up (see above posts) I must say... I can't locate any inner groove distortion?

Even for I.R.S. which has a slight metallic sheen of sorts to it and is the last song on side 3.... nothing.

The sound on vinyl (180 gram standard) is thick and vibrant and maybe not as 'clarified' as on digital (compact disc) - but easily a warmer sound than on compact disc. Maybe it's because of the fantastic production and mastering job, I don't know. But it sounds absolutely terrific.

For me, the title song and TWAT really "jump out" at you. Maybe they all do, but I've been playing the latter all day while doing stuff around the house.

Cool

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »

This is good news overall I guess. Now I just gotta bite the bullet and find out how much it'll cost me to get one imported to the US.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »

Here you go:

http://www.imusic.dk/item/0000001574711/guns-n-roses-2008-chinese-democracy-lp

Cool
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »

Thanks so much. Any clue what that'll run me USD with shipping?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »

It doesn't say, but shipping costs will be shown when you sign in and put an order through. International shipments are available at that site. Shouldn' be too much; probably around 10$.

Cool

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »

What type of turntable set up do you have?  I honestly think that if it is not a similar set up in quality as Rainfox's, you are more than likely going to experience the same IGD issues as the US pressing.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

What type of turntable set up do you have?  I honestly think that if it is not a similar set up in quality as Rainfox's, you are more than likely going to experience the same IGD issues as the US pressing.

Oh. Good call. I just have a run of the mill Sony turntable. I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »

How much is DKK 269,95? lol Tongue
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »

5 Danish kroner is approx. 1 US dollar.

Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »

Got my EU version of the vinyl in the mail today, and I must say it's pristine. Haven't played it yet, but after my problems with the US one, I'm glad there's a good pressing of it out there! ok
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 01:58:09 AM »

That's great, Moonlight.

Let me/us all know how it works out!

Smiley
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »

Well, it's like they say. There is some inner groove distortion, but considering I own a second hand $100 Radio Shack turntable, it's totally acceptable. The album sounds fucking awesome, btw. I just wish I could crank it, but alas we are living the apartment life. Once we get a house, I'll invest a chunk of dough in a decent set up. Playing this majestic monster at a high volume level will definitely be an experience I look forward to. I did crank the beginning of Better before the kick in just to see, and it was nice! I'll just have to settle for rocking car rides in the meantime, as I also just bought the Japanese SHM CD. Anyways. I 'm happy my dreams of owning a decent copy of CD on vinyl are now a reality. Woohoo!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »

Well, it's like they say. There is some inner groove distortion, but considering I own a second hand $100 Radio Shack turntable, it's totally acceptable. The album sounds fucking awesome, btw. I just wish I could crank it, but alas we are living the apartment life. Once we get a house, I'll invest a chunk of dough in a decent set up. Playing this majestic monster at a high volume level will definitely be an experience I look forward to. I did crank the beginning of Better before the kick in just to see, and it was nice! I'll just have to settle for rocking car rides in the meantime, as I also just bought the Japanese SHM CD. Anyways. I 'm happy my dreams of owning a decent copy of CD on vinyl are now a reality. Woohoo!

Oh cool! Can you give a review on the difference between the regular CD and the SHM version when you get a chance? I may just order that instead of putting more money into the vinyl if there's a big enough difference.

Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »

Yeah, no problem. I was gonna do a blind test anyways. I'll post the outcome in a day or so. From what I've read, there's a SHM debate because of the CD coating supposedly, technically not being a factor in how a disc should sound. My Best Buy copy is pretty beat anyways, so I figured why not order it? Can't really hurt to have a back up. Listening to "Catcher" right now.  Grin
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »

I was down in Madison last weekend, and stopped in at the Exclusive Company. They had a copy of Chineese Democracy that was opened, and had the same problems as the one I got before. Anyways, they had this also, and it made me think how cool it would be if the GNR catalog, or at least CD would be released like this.  Grin http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=439133&from=GBUS
It would be great I think but with a different backround

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 01:09:46 AM »

I'm all for vinyl because while cds are convenient, and mp3 and ipods are even more so, you're really not getting the whole sound as you should, that much we all know. However, analog went out almost 20 years ago, everything's been recorded digitally since, unless you see the sticker that says "remastered from the original analog masters". Even if you see that advertised that on a cd today, you're still not hearing the recording as you should, because the analog has been compressed onto a cd, some quality is lost. Remember this before they totally went digital, "We've used the original analog recordings and have tried to preserve as much of it as possible, but there are some limitations". This was printed on some of those earlier pressed cds that some of us may still own. Then they totally went digital, and it's been a proven fact the more recent years that digital recordings clip, they're mixed way too loud, and they don't sound near as well as analog did, hence the recent revival of vinyl....but here's my question, how are these new albums and even reissues of 20 year old albums coming out any different from a cd? Everything's digital right? No more analog right? So how does a digital recording sound any better on vinyl than a cd?Huh?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: