Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Better voted 3`best song of the naughties in classic rock magazine
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Better voted 3`best song of the naughties in classic rock magazine  (Read 9712 times)
richwoman
VIP

« on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

guns n roses Better voted 3` best song of the naughties by classic rock magazine Smiley they write a small but nice piece saying that after being prejudiced to start with after listening to it again "Axls made a classic" also there`s a link to a live version of Better theres a link on the website i was wondering if anyone knows  which show its from Axl seems in a great mood . HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone 2010 is gunna be one of the best years for all G`N`R fans
Il?vatar
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »

Fuckin awesome! But that CR website is a bastard to view, never works right  Huh

Edit*

Finally it uploads, what an absolutely killer video of Better they used  Shocked
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:34:31 PM by greentee » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-greatest-rock-songs-of-the-noughties-nos-10-2/#more-27677

That's the link I found for this discussion.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »

3. Better ? Guns N? Roses
From the 2008 album Chinese Democracy. After waiting seemingly centuries for the album to be released, wasn?t it inevitable that everyone would be initially disappointed with the results? Then you start to go back and discover this gem such as this, and slowly it dawns on you that Axl?s actually made a classic ? but we?ve been too prejudiced to give it a chance

Exactly. Certain people didn't give the album a fair chance......

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:29 PM »

From the 2008 album Chinese Democracy. After waiting seemingly centuries for the album to be released, wasn?t it inevitable that everyone would be initially disappointed with the results? Then you start to go back and discover this gem such as this, and slowly it dawns on you that Axl?s actually made a classic ? but we?ve been too prejudiced to give it a chance

/jarmo

Certain people?  I would say a very sizable percentage of the population went into listening the record with a prejudice/bias. ok

Ali
brazil66
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »

People can digest this album possibly now for it's quality of music rather than the just the expectations. The timing IMO is perfect to tour behind the album now, these recent comments about better are more than welcome. There are multiple dynamics in terms its breadth and balance of "Chinese" that you can listen to at different levels....it just grows on you. The last week I have been listening to the album just for the drum lines.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »

Been back listening to CD a lot!  worked out to it last night and I have no clue why this album has been so overlooked. The prejudice people must listen to this with.

I guess if Axl had mumbled a bunch of nonsense over computer bleeps and simple guitar drivel it would be hailed as groundbreaking..........

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
brazil66
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »

Take away the relevance of the brand (old or new GNR), its ex players/current players and endless delays. Take the politics and media nonsense away and just listen to it, its a great record and a wonderful piece of art. I am very proud of it and  can relate to this record and to the current tour with these talented musicians. All this energy that has been sapped away by events in the past can be released by a massive world tour. We can are going to see a great band with great chemistry. Appetite had to be released and re-released with endless touring. To appreciate this record, tour, tour and keep touring and keep ramming great songs like better live. It will get the respect it deserves.
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 02:19:02 AM »

What utter bollocks.

Better is #3 behind "Random AC/DC Song That Sounds Like Every Other AC/DC Song" and The Darkness.
Sev.
Opening Act

A Real French Soul

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »

That's cool!
Better is a catchy song with excellent lyrics, great solos. I was disappointed with its lack of success as a single.

When CD was released, a french magazine (named Rock N' Flocks, well known in France) wrote a very goog review and called Better " le tube ultime" = "the ultimate hit".
It's cool to see that people finally open their ears!

Si vous ne trouvez rien, cherchez autre chose
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 05:55:52 AM »

What utter bollocks.

Better is #3 behind "Random AC/DC Song That Sounds Like Every Other AC/DC Song" and The Darkness.

anything goes (the ac/dc one) isn't your usual AC/DC Song That Sounds Like Every Other AC/DC Song.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 06:09:26 AM »

What utter bollocks.

anything goes (the ac/dc one) isn't your usual AC/DC Song That Sounds Like Every Other AC/DC Song.

Indeed. It's a bit more 'poppy' than your regular AC/DC. Personally I think them putting it at #3 in a list of best songs of the whole decade is a good thing, and it's not even my favourite song off the album.

Got the magazine the other day but haven't read it yet it, so I don't know what other songs are on it....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Fernando
The REAL Fernando
Rocker

Adz sucks irl.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

/jarmo

Certain people?  I would say a very sizable percentage of the population went into listening the record with a prejudice/bias. ok

Ali

CR has been a motherbitch about things Chi Dem.

I always knew that GNR doesn't make a record for the month, but for the lifetime.  Within time, more people will discover what most of us already know - that Chi Dem is a true gem.

Narcissism has a lot to do with selfishness and deep need for adoration, not giving a fuck for others and promoting themselves at the expense of others often publicly.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »

Been back listening to CD a lot!  worked out to it last night and I have no clue why this album has been so overlooked. The prejudice people must listen to this with.

Alot of people I know are still so pissed it was actually released after all the shit that they talked about it and how it would never be released that they point-blank refuse to listen to it on the off-chance they'll actually like it.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »

/jarmo

I think a lot of the general public were waiting to hear singles and see videos before deciding on picking up the album. They never really came, so it passed 'em by.

As for reviewers...well, I guess rags like NME and Kerrang just decided Axl wasn't 'in' this season. All in all, a sizable portion of the fans were happy with the album and thats what matters - the reaction that the new songs got in Japan sounds great. Its reputation's gonna grow over time, organically, now that people aren't seeing things through their own expectations.

And there goes the challenger...
Chinese Monopoly
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

CR has been a motherbitch about things Chi Dem.

I always knew that GNR doesn't make a record for the month, but for the lifetime.  Within time, more people will discover what most of us already know - that Chi Dem is a true gem.

I've heard that Classic Rock have both "Atlas Shrugged" and "Silkworms". Sue them! hihi

I would say that this is the key statement of the article, "slowly it dawns on you that Axl?s actually made a classic ? but we?ve been too prejudiced to give it a chance", everyone who has taken a negative view of what currently is Guns N' Roses needs to read that.

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »

Now I have a reason to go to BORDERS after work tonight..Actually 2 reasons, the other being the curiosity of seeing the Tara Ried Play Boy!! But I can't tell the wife about that one:-). Just got the 1 year subscription to CR, $100.00 in the US, well worht best ROCK mag out there..
Anyone remember the great review RS gave CD...A couple issies back that liberal rag ripped it...
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »

yes,there were lot of prejudiced about this great album.
On my facebook page i put "this i love" words...More than 20 of my friends like it,and they wanted to found a song...

This fuckin album is brilliant

But also,we can blame gnr menagment,because thet didn't realised videos for better and til...

but who knows
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »

/jarmo

maybe they would have if the album had some promotion perhaps.......

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Chinese Monopoly
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »

maybe they would have if the album had some promotion perhaps.......

Promotion? It was there for anyone to listen, it was one of the most anticipated albums ever, it didn't need any kind of promotion upon release. People didn't turn away from the album because it wasn't "promoted" enough at the start, it was as stated in the article, they were prejudice towards the album from the start, they just refused to admit to themselves that Axl succeeded, and closed the chapter of the past.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:04:44 PM by NewGNRnOldGNR » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: