Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:33:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227897 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A new fans take on Chinese Democracy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A new fans take on Chinese Democracy.  (Read 13127 times)
GIMH
Opening Act

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »

Now, if you had heard the album first and then the leaks. Then you might have a point. In your case, I know that didn't happen.

Interesting one. A few years back I decided to stop posting at GNR forums until Chinese Democracy came out or had a proper release date because I figured I would enjoy things more that way. I did download the first leaks of TWAT, IRS and Better (only had one minute of it) and enjoyed them...

I avoided the rest of the leaks pretty much...largely because through avoiding GNR boards I didn't really know they were there. I listened to the odd youtube clip, to get my fix basically, but always made sure it was a song I'd already heard (ie one of the above three, The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy) and so when the album came out, loads of it was brand new to me and I love it to death.

Now about a month later, I was heading to a rock bar with some friends. One the way, one suggested we go halves on playing the whole of Chinese Democracy if they had it on the jukebox. I get there, I see the cover, I stick my money in, start selecting the tracks...then realised it wasn't the right tracklisting - Oh My God & Silk Worms were on there and there were a few missing. So basically, it was a collection of leaks plus those two songs.

It was a really interesting listen...all I heard with each and every one was how much the songs had progressed between those leaks being made and the album I had already grown to love being released. I genuinely couldn't understand why I had read certain people preaching so much about the leaks being so much better. I mean, some of them appeared to have the same vocal track, but there wasn't a single song I enjoyed more on that leaked version.

That being said, I did enjoy listening to them, and would do so again, but only in the same way that I like to stick the Don't Cry demo on from to time...it's good...but it's not the real thing, and there's a good reason why it's not the real thing.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »

Chinese Democracy didn't desappoint me at all, because my hopes were not too high. That caused that I enjoyed the record. I mean I never hope a record as great as Appetite and Illusions because I know that without the former musicians in the band were impossible, on the other hand I knew that Axl Rose still was there, that's enough to have a very good record, and I got it.

There's something else I don't get it although, as people says that Chinese Democracy it sounds like old Guns. No way, the only thing in common is the Axl's voice, but all the rest (guitar solos, guitar riff, bass player, drums, etc..) it has nothing to do with the sound of the old Guns. I'm not saying it's better or worst, just different, very different.

There was never an intention to sound like the old band

I actually think there are a few moments on the album that definitely channel Old Guns ("This I Love" and "Catcher In The Rye" could have easily been UYI tracks IMHO and "Prostitute" is "Estranged" slimmed down and on steroids for me). Overall, I think it's one of the real achievements of the album that it comes across as a "logical progression" of the Old Guns' "sound".

Just my take though... 

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
GIMH
Opening Act

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »

Agree on TIl and CIR, but can't buy that prostitute is anything like Estranged  Undecided
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »

I have to say that Bumble's CITR solo really grew on me and now it's probably my favorite on the album.  Just don't see why anyone would prefer the leak.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
H76
Headliner

Human Being

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »

Catcher was my fave leak but Bumble's solos kill it for me now.

Quote from: Axl
That said, you have those who become emotionally attached to how the leaks sound, which, for better or worse, usually isn't so great to contend with. And it seems that those who often do so and complain publicly, oddly and coincidentally, have a history of basically being detractors as well even if they're somehow considered part of a "fan" base.

Without hearing the leaks, you might've actually liked the track.

Or wait, not you. Somebody else might have.  Lips Sealed

/jarmo

At least for me hearing the leaks/live performances were a positive thing.. It gave me time to adjust to change. I must have been one of the very few fans in Helsinki consert in 2006 jumping up and down during all the new songs (Better, Blues, Madagascar). That does not make me appreciate the finished (official and legal) product any less.

But back to music since that's what this thread is about. I've fallen in love with Madagascar long time ago and that has not changed. That song has every element of a hit song I can think of. My other favourites are 'This I Love' and 'Catcher In the Rye'. TIL surprised me with it's style. It's more pop than rock ballad. CITR has more of a nostalgic feel to it which appeals to me.

Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul. ~ Wayne Dyer ~
Longbow
Opening Act

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:16 PM »

Anybody else liking solo on Scraped? One of my favorites on CD.

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a
straight razor. That's my dream,
it's my nightmare. Crawling, slipping along
the edge of a straight razor and surviving...."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »

Anybody else liking solo on Scraped? One of my favorites on CD.

its my fav bumblefoot solo on the album. 
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »

CD is a great work of art. You have to consider that the method of recording has changed over the years. Is that a good thing? It depends on what kind of recording you are into creating.
I do find that there is a difference in recording the basic tracks live as a group than recording it track by track. There is something of an energy element in performance that some how magically transforms itself into the recording process when you record a live band together. (In example: Drums, Bass, basic two guitar tracks with no leads). I know that sounds impossible but if you listen to Appetite that's how that LP was done. Than some overdubbing is done to finish it up.
It's really a matter of a reflection of what is going on in the evolution of music. CD is loaded with some many ideas and arrangements that it probably would of been a train wreck at first to record all of the basic tracks live. Plus I have a feeling that most of the arrangements were edited later on the computer. With the technology we have now one can spend weeks cutting and pasting sections of the waves of the songs into different versions. Than the producer and artist can sit back and decide which arrangement is most appealing to them for the final mix for the album. : )
Insomnia
Opening Act

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2009, 07:38:10 PM »

There's something else I don't get it although, as people says that Chinese Democracy it sounds like old Guns. No way, the only thing in common is the Axl's voice, but all the rest (guitar solos, guitar riff, bass player, drums, etc..) it has nothing to do with the sound of the old Guns. I'm not saying it's better or worst, just different, very different.
You know... My mom isn't a fan of the band and she isn't into music at all but she had to listen to them in the 90s when I used to listen to them a lot. So she knows some songs and the videos (though the wouldn't tell the names etc.). Today she came into the room when the intro of The Street of Dreams was playing. And she said: Oh, is that Guns n Roses? I was like  Shocked How do you know?? And she said: Well, it reminds me of the old stuff  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 07:40:06 PM by Insomnia » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: