Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:03:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What exactly does mixing and mastering include?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What exactly does mixing and mastering include?  (Read 10407 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 01:48:04 PM »

I do realize who we're talking about here, but all your estimations are way too long. Mixing, even for professional albums is usually one month max: even on complex albums. Mastering is usually a very short process (usually a week): once again even on complex albums. 

A.K.A. Late April or Early May

I also want to add that there are reports of Andy Wallace doing mixes way before which leads me to believe that they are just mixing down Frank and Bumble's parts. Andy said that everyone was "delighted with the mixes" sometime last year. Think about it.

Admittedly, I know nothing about this stuff.  But IF the album was believed to be able to be finished by March 6th (when it was announced in December), then mixing can't be TOO long of a process.  With an eight week turnaround, Axl clearly thought the album could be mixed/mastered in about 6 weeks. 

By the way, for my mental timetable, is mixing/mastering done by the band and producers etc. that they work with, or is it done by the label's people, once all recordings are submitted?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »

If they're truly just starting formal mixing right now, which I doubt, but if they are...'07 isn't happening.

I think thats pretty cynical to rule out 2007 already.

Well, I did say that I doubt that is the case.

As I said, they took nearly a year to mix Use Your Illusion, and yeah it was a double album, but recording took a year and mixing took almost a year. Recording CD took years and years and mixing will take...a while I'm assuming.

Which is why I optimistically guessed that the mixing has been going on for a while (which it obviously has since that Better leak sounds 90% final).

My actual realistic guess is that it will come out sometime between May and July, but if mixing doesn't go smoothly, it could still be a long way away.

I'm actually glad there's no release date anymore. I'm pretty sure hindsight being 20/20 Axl would have gone with the version of the open letter that didn't include the tentative date if he could do it over again.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:51:31 PM by SterileEyes » Logged

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »

I do realize who we're talking about here, but all your estimations are way too long. Mixing, even for professional albums is usually one month max: even on complex albums. Mastering is usually a very short process (usually a week): once again even on complex albums. 

A.K.A. Late April or Early May

I also want to add that there are reports of Andy Wallace doing mixes way before which leads me to believe that they are just mixing down Frank and Bumble's parts. Andy said that everyone was "delighted with the mixes" sometime last year. Think about it.

Admittedly, I know nothing about this stuff.  But IF the album was believed to be able to be finished by March 6th (when it was announced in December), then mixing can't be TOO long of a process.  With an eight week turnaround, Axl clearly thought the album could be mixed/mastered in about 6 weeks. 

By the way, for my mental timetable, is mixing/mastering done by the band and producers etc. that they work with, or is it done by the label's people, once all recordings are submitted?

del said the band is currently mixing the record.....     so it`s not the record company. in general, it`s never the record company, as the mixing plays a very important role in the final sound of the album.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »

mixing: Getting your voice to sound as badass on tape as you think it sounds in your head.

Well, it isn't ALWAYS that, but photographs and film need often need to be color corrected because the camera or the film isn't able to reproduce the actual color and light at the scene... though it still records adequate data.

Similarly, microphones, tape, and ADCs do not perfectly replicate the sound that one hears in the recording environment. So often, EQ, ADSR and compression are adjusted to make what ended up on the recording sound more like it did when it was performed live.

acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »

To give some persepective, Nine Inch Nails started mixing their new album in January, the album is due in April.  Linkin Park started mixing their new album in February and their album is due in May.  If GNR are mixing now...we should be looking at a May/June release.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »

It's hard to tell how much mixing needs to be done.
Lots of the album could have been mixed already.
If they needed to add a new guitar solo or drum track in, that's not that big of a deal if everything else was already in place.

Can you imagine how many different takes and tracks they must have to choose from?
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 04:08:44 PM »

If Axl is mixing alone, look for a 2010 Release. 

I bet it will be out sometime in the summer. 
brock
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »

To give some persepective, Nine Inch Nails started mixing their new album in January, the album is due in April.? Linkin Park started mixing their new album in February and their album is due in May.? If GNR are mixing now...we should be looking at a May/June release.
this is great info, and i would tend to think their goal is to have EVERYTHING done before they hit the road again in April.  After that its probably just finding the best tuesday along the way to release it coupled with a single/Video ETC
Montrealrocks
Rocker

Get on board...or fuck off!

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 12:42:53 AM »

I was listening to a DVD today.  They were saying that it took 6 months of mixing for the 2 Illusions cd.

So basically, it took 3 months to mix each.

I hope that it won't be that long for Chinese Democracy! Huh

@gnrworld on twitter

Montreal 17/05/88
Montreal 08/08/1992
New York 14/05/2006
Ottawa 17/11/2006
Quebec 18/11/2006
Montreal 27/01/2010
Quebec 01/02/2010
Quebec 12/07/2013
Montreal 14/07/2
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 12:51:47 AM »

Bumblefoot said this:

Usually after that, the process would follow with mastering the mixes, cd design, a lot of promotion and preparations for the release.  Hopefully all the business stuff won't take too long, and the album will be available...  (here comes the magic word......)   *SOON*   Smiley

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
gnrbacik
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 01:44:18 AM »

When Axl is ready, he'll be ready
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 03:49:00 AM »

I have a random question

Why do albums usually get mixed at more than one location? Surely it makes sense to mix songs together to get the right feel?

Here today...ready to rock
mrgnrdvd
Headliner

Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundh

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 08:06:13 AM »

another 5 years

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »

it's funny..almost everyone here thinks that it's bullshit just cause of the past.What happened in the past happened in the past.It's done over,never gunna happen again.so Give them a chance before you go doubting it..bumblefoot says we're in the mixing stage,Del says we're in the mixin stage..so it probably is..have some patience and just wait.

This is good news and every ones being so negative..it almost makes me sick

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 11:03:44 AM »

Mixing & Mastering =  another 90 -120 days before the album's release.

yes

/bringbackadler

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »

I was listening to a DVD today.? They were saying that it took 6 months of mixing for the 2 Illusions cd.

But this was also two albums worth of material to mix...that's the reason it took twice as long.  But recording for UYI took roughly 3 years...while CD took 10 years of recording.  So I guess anything is possible.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Chief
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »

one other thing you have to think about, back then they didn't have as many fancy computers and what not, so it would have taken longer to mix.  now it is a lot easier...

at my friend's home studio, we were able to get pretty professional results in just a few days.

I was listening to a DVD today.  They were saying that it took 6 months of mixing for the 2 Illusions cd.

But this was also two albums worth of material to mix...that's the reason it took twice as long.  But recording for UYI took roughly 3 years...while CD took 10 years of recording.  So I guess anything is possible.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »

the mixing phase is as long as the recording phase ...

i hope it started a long time ago.

General rule of thumb is 1-2 hours for every minute of music. I'm sorry but when I hear Axl Rose and mixing , I just think of years and years. If he wanted the recording to be perfect , the mixing is like the perfection of perfection. Mastering is just getting the mix to the right level basically , Mixing is what takes the longest.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »

I was listening to a DVD today.? They were saying that it took 6 months of mixing for the 2 Illusions cd.

Bill Price said it took so long because Slash and Axl were arguing over every single mix of every single song. If Axl liked it, Slash hated it, and vice versa. So most of that time was trying to appease both of them.

And as someone mentioned before, mixing does not take long.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2007, 01:44:48 PM »

which band's album do you think will hit the shops first, Gn'Rs or VR's?

Both albums are at the mixers. VR's album has been mixed 12 times so far (rumour has it), so I guess they are almost done. How many mixes will Gn'Rs CD go through before it's in the can? 1 months, 2 months, or whole years worth. Is it possible that an album can go to the mixers without good results, thus the band has to do some re-recording?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: