Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Steven Adler
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Adler  (Read 29237 times)
Axl
Opening Act

Where do we go now?

« on: February 04, 2004, 10:01:58 AM »

Does Axl still speak to Steven? I know that Izzy, Slash and Duff do, but I mean, does Axl? He's still sponging off of GN'R 13 years after he was kicked out of the band, so I would have thought that Axl isn't too fond of him.....?

I'm a hard case that's fuckin' tough to beat!
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 10:31:36 AM »

I'm pretty sure he doesnt. Steven have told that he even sent letter to Axl around rir or late 90's but he never got answered back
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:02:03 AM by John Daniels » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 02:01:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure he doesnt. Steven have told that he even sent letter to Axl around rir or late 90's but he never got answered back

Excuse Mr. Rose please!!!! The guy has been real busy recording an album for the last 10 years!! Sending a letter these days takes too much time and effort.  Wink

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 04:21:31 PM »

He's still sponging off of GN'R 13 years after he was kicked out of the band, so I would have thought that Axl isn't too fond of him.....?

If u weren't a newbie i would destroy you for a comment like that.

As it is i will let Dizzy do that instead.

Steven Adler was 1/5 of GNR, he was crucial to them, did u notice there are drums on AFD and Lies..well guess what, Axl didn't write em!

Sponging? GNR kicked him out with nothing, he is entitled to every penny he gets...and then some more

Quick! To the bandwagon!
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 04:58:24 PM »

Does Axl still speak to Steven? I know that Izzy, Slash and Duff do, but I mean, does Axl? He's still sponging off of GN'R 13 years after he was kicked out of the band, so I would have thought that Axl isn't too fond of him.....?

If I ever have 1/100th of the musical influence on someone that Steven Adler had on me, then I will consider myself extremely lucky.  I like to make fun of Steven as much as the next guy, but sponging off a band that he was a member of?  ... come on ...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 04:59:27 PM by echrisl » Logged

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 05:15:38 PM »

If I ever have 1/100th of the musical influence on someone that Steven Adler had on me, then I will consider myself extremely lucky.  I like to make fun of Steven as much as the next guy, but sponging off a band that he was a member of?  ... come on ...

Not only was he a member of Guns, he was the foundation they damn well built the band on. Matt was great, Steven was something else.

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Dizzy
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 06:01:55 PM »

I think Axl refuses to speak to any of the bandmates who helped shape and further his career.  That's his way of saying 'thanks'.   Tongue

But I must say that I am happy that Steven, Izzy, Slash, and Duff are on all speaking terms and get along well.  It's doubly wonderful that they still play together sometimes.

And as everyone else has said (in other words), Steven RULES!   Cool
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 06:05:20 PM »

if you think he is sponging off of GN'R, then what do you call what Axl does?

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
raoxsle
Banned
Rocker

Raoxsle is dead. You may call me....The Joker.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 12:31:21 AM »

I think Axl refuses to speak to any of the bandmates who helped shape and further his career.  That's his way of saying 'thanks'.   Tongue

Being as they all shaped and furthered each others careers (as you like to point out Dizzy), he doesn't owe them any thanks.  Or they him, for that matter.

"There's no difference between me and everyone else. All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.&am
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 02:31:35 AM »

Bullshit he is....as someone said b4 how could he b sponging off a band he helped create.

I don't know what everyone's prob with steven is...if it's the drug thing thats fucked cos evryone in that band even after steve was kicked out was stuffed with drugs. Duff almost died and Izzy was forced to quit from all the drugs and axl cos they couldn;'t clean up.

In a interview izzy was quoted as sayin that slash and duff were on his top ten list of guys that might die that week round the time of the illusion tour.

So everyone lay off steve he's much part of that band as any1 of them was

STEVE RULES

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 07:49:37 AM »

if you think he is sponging off of GN'R, then what do you call what Axl does?

This topic has been discussed at least three times over the past two months.

On topic, I don't know why Steven sent Axl a letter to begin with as somebody else mentioned before rock in Rio. Their relationship had been buried for 10 years and all of the sudden Steven shows signs of being alive. I wonder why? what did he have in mind?  Only Axl knows ( or maybe Beta as well, she probably read the letter and never gave it to Axl hihi ) what the content of that letter was.

I must say though ( as I mentioned earlier) Axl should've replied to that letter and at least showed some interest to his former friend/band mate. This seems to be Axl's behavious pattern when it comes to former bandmates though. The only band member I could  think of with whom he's reached some kinda status quo is Gilby clarke.
Dizzy
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »

On topic, I don't know why Steven sent Axl a letter to begin with as somebody else mentioned before rock in Rio.

I never heard that Steven did write Axl a letter.  What's the source for this?  On Steven's site, he had said that he wrote Slash a letter around the time Slash got denied entry into the Vegas show, but that was after Rio.  But I never heard that Steven had written Axl a letter, although I'd certainly believe it.

Their relationship had been buried for 10 years and all of the sudden Steven shows signs of being alive. I wonder why? what did he have in mind?

That's probably exactly why, because their relationship had been buried for so long.  Steven had finally cleaned himself up, and as he has said many times on his site, he wants to let bygones be bygones.  He's made an effort to reach out to all his former bandmates.  He was the one who went to see Izzy and Duff when they were recording one of Izzy's solo albums, and they ended up jamming together, and then Steven and Izzy had lunch a couple times soon after.  And then there was the Slash/Izzy/Steven jam at the Adler's Appetite show back in October.

So given Steven's desire to let the past rest, it seems only natural that he'd attempt to reconcile with Axl as well as everyone else.  But Axl obviously wants no part of it.  And Axl probably wouldn't have spoken to Gilby ever again if he hadn't run into him that night they sang together.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 06:04:11 AM »

I never heard that Steven did write Axl a letter.  What's the source for this?  On Steven's site, he had said that he wrote Slash a letter around the time Slash got denied entry into the Vegas show, but that was after Rio.  But I never heard that Steven had written Axl a letter, although I'd certainly believe it.

Neither have I. I'm just going by with what a poster mentioned in a previous post.

That's probably exactly why, because their relationship had been buried for so long.  Steven had finally cleaned himself up, and as he has said many times on his site, he wants to let bygones be bygones.  He's made an effort to reach out to all his former bandmates.  He was the one who went to see Izzy and Duff when they were recording one of Izzy's solo albums, and they ended up jamming together, and then Steven and Izzy had lunch a couple times soon after.  And then there was the Slash/Izzy/Steven jam at the Adler's Appetite show back in October.

So given Steven's desire to let the past rest, it seems only natural that he'd attempt to reconcile with Axl as well as everyone else.  But Axl obviously wants no part of it.

Maybe, but Axl sure has strong reasons to ignore Steven. I'm not saying I would agree with Axl's behaviour, I'm just trying to see the big picture here. Axl Axl feels betrayed by all of his former bandmates. Bare in mind Steven sued GNR/Axl.

Wouldn't you be upset if someone you are close to sued you?

And Axl probably wouldn't have spoken to Gilby ever again if he hadn't run into him that night they sang together.

That's not correct. Axl bumped into Phantom at a Pink Floyd concert in LA. Axl was told Gilby was gonna perform later that week at the cat club. Axl's apperance was not a coincidence.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 06:42:24 AM by Chinasky75 » Logged
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 06:39:13 AM »

I said that that Steven even send letter to Axl (if I remember correctly)..I try to find it somewhere.

edit.

Nunk asks:  "I wanted to ask Steven if he heard about Slash being turned away in Vegas at the Guns N Roses show and what he thought about it?"

Yeah, I heard! That's so fucking sad that he (Axl) has to be that insecure. That he can't even let a partner in life, 'cause it's not just a band, there's millions of Rock and Roll bands, but Guns N' Roses was the people's fuckin' band. What they did to me as a personal member was bad enough, but that's so wrong not to let him in, let him onstage. Not even let him play! I'm pissed that he didn't give me a call! I sent him a letter.  I'd love to talk to him, it's only been 12 years. I have nothing against him, whatever he said, whatever happened in the past, happened, it's old.  It was just fuckin' news, it's fuckin' over. We were young. We know how to rock, obviously. You don't need all these issues. But, I have to say, Axl was the greatest frontman ever, period.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 06:47:25 AM by John Daniels » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 07:39:12 AM »

I said that that Steven even send letter to Axl (if I remember correctly)..I try to find it somewhere.

edit.

Nunk asks:  "I wanted to ask Steven if he heard about Slash being turned away in Vegas at the Guns N Roses show and what he thought about it?"

Yeah, I heard! That's so fucking sad that he (Axl) has to be that insecure. That he can't even let a partner in life, 'cause it's not just a band, there's millions of Rock and Roll bands, but Guns N' Roses was the people's fuckin' band. What they did to me as a personal member was bad enough, but that's so wrong not to let him in, let him onstage. Not even let him play! I'm pissed that he didn't give me a call! I sent him a letter.  I'd love to talk to him, it's only been 12 years. I have nothing against him, whatever he said, whatever happened in the past, happened, it's old.  It was just fuckin' news, it's fuckin' over. We were young. We know how to rock, obviously. You don't need all these issues. But, I have to say, Axl was the greatest frontman ever, period.

Thanx for the source. So Steven did send Axl a letter...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 08:53:37 AM »

Maybe, but Axl sure has strong reasons to ignore Steven. I'm not saying I would agree with Axl's behaviour, I'm just trying to see the big picture here. Axl Axl feels betrayed by all of his former bandmates. Bare in mind Steven sued GNR/Axl.

Wouldn't you be upset if someone you are close to sued you?

Steven didn't abandon GNR..he was thrown out!

Steven only sued for the money he was legally entitled to, Axl can be pissed off but he was breaking the law.

There is something so tragic about GNR.......it would make a great story...how they fell to bits on the verge of greatness, and how the members all drifted apart. Its great that there are signs the wounds are healing with Izzy/Duff/Steven and Slash all atleast on civilised terms with each other. Why Axl can't just meet up with them is beyond me....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 09:10:21 AM »

"When they kicked me out of the band the intent was to screw me. Right off the bat, they had me sign papers that I didn't, couldn't read 'cause it was a stack about five inches thick! They took every penny from me. They were going to give me $2000 and say "that's it", like I never existed. That's why I sued them. I got my money back. I thank God, Jesus, and my Grandmother for being able to support myself and my family."

- Steven -
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:15:22 AM by John Daniels » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2004, 09:35:39 AM »

"When they kicked me out of the band the intent was to screw me. Right off the bat, they had me sign papers that I didn't, couldn't read 'cause it was a stack about five inches thick! They took every penny from me. They were going to give me $2000 and say "that's it", like I never existed. That's why I sued them. I got my money back. I thank God, Jesus, and my Grandmother for being able to support myself and my family."

- Steven -

Jesus Christ!!! You guys are making Steven look like a fucking retard. Yes he was on dope, he might've been a bit slow at the time, but For God's sake, Geffen didn't put a gun on his head and said, you better sign this fucker! He was given papers to sign for the love of God! If he didn't understand them,  ( still don't get it) take those papers to a fucking lawyer!! He was Guns N' Roses drummer. I'm  sure he could've afforded one.
Dizzy
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 05:45:33 PM »

but For God's sake, Geffen didn't put a gun on his head and said, you better sign this fucker!

No, Doug Goldstein just tricked him into believing he was signing probationary papers.

Doug said, "we're putting you on probation until the drugs are kicked."  He gave me a stack of papers to sign, and all I remember is him pointing to these colored paper clips.  He said, "Just sign here, just sign there, just sign here and there".  I had no idea what I was doing.

Narrator: It turns out, Steven Adler wasn't on probation after all.  He was out of the band; signing away his partnership, his royalties, his reason to live.

I tried to kill myself.

(Next segment was about Steven's suit against GNR, in which it is revealed that the trial was stopped and the jury awarded Steven $2.5 million and all rights to royalties.)

Narrator: The juries sympathies were obvious as Steven left the courtroom...

Oh yeah, they were giving me hugs and telling me how sorry they were, because they could see that what they [GNR] did to me was wrong.

--Steven, the Secret History of Rock n Roll, TV special

If you are led to believe you're only signing probationary papers, you don't need to consult a lawyer.  And keep in mind that the jury sided with Steven.  If GNR had legally gotten Steven to sign over his rights and his royalties, they would not have sided with him.  But they obviously were shown enough evidence to decide that, simply put, Steven got screwed.

We've already discussed this anyway.

But it is difficult to discern to whom Steven was referring.  He refers to both Axl and Slash as "him" during this answer.  So it's unclear as to whom he sent the letter.

It has been 12 years or so since he's seen Axl.  But then again, he said "I'm so pissed off that he didn't give me a call."  If he and Axl haven't spoken in years, why would he expect a call from Axl?  On the other hand, he and Slash had reconciled in the late 1990s, and they spoke often.  Plus, the phone call statement came right after he was referring to Slash as "him".  So it makes more sense that he was pissed that Slash didn't call him, and he sent Slash a letter.  But since he does say "it's been 12 years...", that kind of sounds like he's talking about Axl.

So given that statement, it's unclear as to whom Steven sent the letter.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 06:10:23 PM by Dizzy » Logged
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2004, 02:37:57 AM »

Dizzy, it's difficult see if he's meaning Axl or Slash, but as I see it, Steven and Slash have being in contacts in the 90's, whereas Axl hasn't. and the part where he says; "I'm pissed that he didn't give me a call! I sent him a letter.  I'd love to talk to him, it's only been 12 years." I highly doubt that these lines are about Slash 'cause he has talked with Slash and he has been in contacts with him in the past 12 years, and they are friends...so that's why I think it's definetely about Axl!

and this line; "I have nothing against him, whatever he said, whatever happened in the past, happened, it's old.  It was just fuckin' news, it's fuckin' over. "

it's about Axl and the past..I mean, what could be these huge wounds that Steven and Slash have..I don't remember any steven/slash arguments that has carried this far..I mean, think all these lines with logical reasoning..this has to be about Axl.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 02:38:53 AM by John Daniels » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: