Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:49:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227821 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Does Axl suffer from schizophrenia?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Axl suffer from schizophrenia?  (Read 16446 times)
BucketRose
« on: February 23, 2004, 12:33:28 AM »

He wants to tour....he doesn't want to tour....he says he's hard at work on the album....another year passes without an album....he's in the public eye for a stint....then he vanishes without a trace.  He makes Dr. Jeckyll look like a consistent and balanced individual.

What do you think?  Maybe schizophrenia would help explain his ever-revolving goals/focus/intent.  

I'm not trying to rip on Axl in this thread....just trying to see if any of you think that schizophrenia might be the reason for his infamously erratic behavior.

SlashFan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 12:50:20 AM »

I think he has bi-polar disorder, which causes massive mood swings.

That's what I heard also smoking
Smoke
Rocker

nobody ever told me baby,how it was going to be

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 12:56:01 AM »

I don't think that there is anything medically wrong with him, I just think that he doesn't think the way we do.  In that I mean the way we think about something is common sense.  Like we would never not show up to a concert but maybe he doesn't think thats a big deal at all.  I don't think he realizes what he does sometimes and he doesn't think things through the way a normal person would.  Acts before he thinks.  He is like a lot of talented people.  They have this incredible gift that is unlike anything else but they have faults that they really can't do anything about, which probably came from troubled childhood.  And that is a shame because sometimes that talent is not used up to its potential.  
SlashFan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 01:01:59 AM »

I don't think that there is anything medically wrong with him, I just think that he doesn't think the way we do.  In that I mean the way we think about something is common sense.  Like we would never not show up to a concert but maybe he doesn't think thats a big deal at all.  I don't think he realizes what he does sometimes and he doesn't think things through the way a normal person would.  Acts before he thinks.  He is like a lot of talented people.  They have this incredible gift that is unlike anything else but they have faults that they really can't do anything about, which probably came from troubled childhood.  And that is a shame because sometimes that talent is not used up to its potential.  

Well he's just a person,so he's no different than anyone else and I have read that he does have mental problems,but I don't know for sure,he sure acts like it. smoking
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 02:30:55 AM »

He's said in interviews that he was diagnosed as a manic depressive (which was the old non-PC name of Bi-Polar Disorder). I've known people with this disorder and it is a very difficult to have to deal with.

BucketRose
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 03:19:02 AM »

I wouldn't be so quick to accept Axl's self-asserted diagnosis as gospel truth.  Schizophrenia is more debilitating than bipolar....I can't imagine if Axl suffered any symptoms of schizophrenia that he'd go public with it, or mention it in interviews.  It would hurt his image more than its already been hurt...and make him an object of intense media scrutiny, which I'm sure he wouldn't want.

Besides...how many years ago was it that he was mentioning that he was bipolar?  He may have been bipolar 10 years ago....but perhaps he's developed more serious psychological disorders since then.  I think alot of us have become overly familiar with Axl...and therefore, we lose sight of how bizarre his behavior actually is.  I don't think that mood swings can fully account for his bizarre actions...and even if there was something more, I doubt we'd be hearing about it in the media.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 03:20:14 AM »

I doubt he is a schizo because it would be hard to hide his delusional state from the world for this long of a time. I've heard he was bi-polar (haven't actually seen where he admits to it) and it makes a lot of sense. It would explain his violent temper and his indecisive nature. Feeling good about the tour would probably be when he is in a manic phase while being unable to show up would be the depressive phase. It's a terrible disease and it's likely we'll never see the album unless he finds a way to be get the change in moods under control.  Undecided
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 03:31:05 AM »

As i'm not axl i won't jump to any conclusions of what mental ilnesses he may have, but him being schizophrenic wouldn't surprise me but.......i think his problems r just the mental and emotional shit thats happened to him in his life. Like he admits to being physically and sexually abused as a child...u tellin me u wouldn't look at the world differently or b acting weird sometimes, thats my opinion i think his childhood has made him socially withdrawn and it's hard 4 him to trust ppl after whats happened to him

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 05:54:46 AM »

I suggest you to do a bit more research on schizophrenia before making this hypothesis. If he was a schizophrenic, he would NEVER have made it in his career the way he did, because schizophrenia is a huge handicap in everyday life.  
However, I have studied psychology and it looks quite clear to me that he exhibits the symptoms of bi-polar disorder. It's actually a disease from which a lot of artists seem to suffer  Undecided

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 07:37:58 AM »

He has confirmed, in a couple of interviews, that he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.  Do a google on "Axl Rose bipolar" and you should be able to easily turn up at least one of the interviews.

He doesn't, however, seem to agree with the diagnosis.....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 07:39:45 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 07:49:11 AM »

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/celebs/a/axlrose.htm

Between 1987 and 1991, Axl was arrested several times for assault. At some point he was diagnosed as bipolar and put on lithium; one source says he also underwent anger management therapy. Axl himself has been quoted as saying, "I'm very sensitive and emotional and things upset me and make me feel like not functioning or dealing with people... I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was to take one 500 question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive. 'Let's put Axl on medication.' Well, the medication doesn't help me deal with the stress. The only thing it does is help keep people off my back because they figure I'm on medication."

It's impossible to say categorically whether Axl Rose is bipolar. Some of his behaviors - explosive anger, alcohol use in youth, substance abuse - could point to this, but could also be signs of post-traumatic stress disorder or other affective disorders. Accounts of his life give information about his childhood that is conflicting at times. Yet certainly he has had a turbulent life, and by all accounts, not a happy one.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
BucketRose
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 07:52:29 AM »

I'm not talking about if Axl was schizophrenic back during the time that he was launching himself to superstardom....and working hard to become the biggest rockstar in the world.  I'm talking about where his mind has gone during the last few years...and his ever-increasing weirdness.

And yes, I've read the interviews firsthand when they came out...where Axl mentions bipolar...one of them was in RIP magazine around '91, if I remember correctly.

But as I said....that was over 10 years ago.  During these past 10 years....Axl has isolated himself away from the world for most of that time....doing God knows what....thinking God knows what. Who's to know what has become of his mind during the last few years?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:03:13 AM by BucketRose » Logged
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 08:16:41 AM »

I'm not talking about if Axl was schizophrenic back during the time that he was launching himself to superstardom....and working hard to become the biggest rockstar in the world.  I'm talking about where his mind has gone during the last few years...and his ever-increasing weirdness.

And yes, I've read the interviews firsthand when they came out...where Axl mentions bipolar...one of them was in RIP magazine around '91, if I remember correctly.

But as I said....that was over 10 years ago.  During these past 10 years....Axl has isolated himself away from the world for most of that time....doing God knows what....thinking God knows what. Who's to know what has become of his mind during the last few years?

It's highly unlikely that he would have become a schizophrenic in the last few years, because this disease mostly appears when you're in your 20s. He's a bit too old to develop it now Wink

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 09:01:45 AM »

what kind of person would go " yeah, i have Bi POlar disorder, yeah, i'm cool ..."

come on,
stop analysing people
stop trying to find a mystery or a cool drama explanation
life is life
people do stuff because of several reasons that are far more complex and numerous than a simple diagnostic.

all the pshyco, schyzo, analysis, is SHIT.

we're not in a movie. this is not a book were people can be explained in 2 words.

axl is man = complex = we can't analyse.

Luckyme
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 09:34:04 AM »

I'm just curious who diagnosed him? confused  Was it some court appointed shrink?
Crowebar
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 10:19:09 AM »

This is another bullshit post put up here out of sheer boredom.

Axl's a human being just like the rest of us and he has his own problems just like the rest of us.

All of this psycho-babble isn't doing us or Axl any good.

Who cares???

Leave the guy alone and if/when the album comes out and if/when you get to see him perform live again, cherish that moment because it just might be the last time you ever see it again.

Remember that.
Luckyme
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004, 10:24:20 AM »

I agree with that!  Kudos! love
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004, 11:22:57 AM »

one in five people will suffer some sort of mental illness in their lifetime. There were 5 original members. You do the math.
Syd Vega
Headliner

Let me break your heart

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 11:34:13 AM »

what kind of person would go " yeah, i have Bi POlar disorder, yeah, i'm cool ..."

come on,
stop analysing people
stop trying to find a mystery or a cool drama explanation
life is life
people do stuff because of several reasons that are far more complex and numerous than a simple diagnostic.

all the pshyco, schyzo, analysis, is SHIT.

we're not in a movie. this is not a book were people can be explained in 2 words.

axl is man = complex = we can't analyse.

reading this is like a relief...way too much blahblah about stuff nobody knows nothing about...
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 12:08:25 PM »

yes axl is bi polar he used to take meds for it.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: