Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:12:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  World Premiere Of "Slither" On BBC Radio
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Premiere Of "Slither" On BBC Radio  (Read 56589 times)
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2004, 06:06:36 PM »

you can't stand the guitar solos in NR ? No more questions here. rofl

Nope, and it's not that I don't think the solos aren't good, I just think they disrupt the flow the song.  I just want to hear the song get back to the piano parts.

Anyway, I'm glad you're able to make up your mind on this kind of stuff based on such little things.  No more questions here, either.  ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2004, 06:08:42 PM »

Reject sessions was a bit harsh on my part.  I actually think The Blues and Madagascar are good songs, with potential to be better.  I'll reserve judgement until I hear the studio versions--but for now, they don't stand up to the UYI balads like November Rain and Don't Cry.
I actually am not the biggest fan of November Rain (that's a whole other discussion, but quick summary: I love the piano and melody, I love "everybody needs somebody" part of the song, but I can't stand the guitar solos in the middle of the song)
HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

That's all I can really say.

You don't like the guitar solos in November Rain?!?!

Maybe you might be more at home at a...I dunno....Westlife board or something...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
loretian
VIP

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2004, 06:16:05 PM »

Yeah, yeah, I'll take shit for having an unpopular opinion.  Smiley

Like I said, it's a great solo, but it just doesn't fit in the song for me.  I don't find November Rain to be the absolute perfection so many other people do, or the absolute perfection I find in other Gn'R songs.

Btw, I have no idea who Westlife is, so that insult has no meaning to me.   Gn'R is the only band I've ever had enough interest in to actually post on a message board and become involved with the community.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 06:17:13 PM by loretian » Logged

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2004, 07:08:33 PM »

Yeah, yeah, I'll take shit for having an unpopular opinion.  Smiley

Like I said, it's a great solo, but it just doesn't fit in the song for me.  I don't find November Rain to be the absolute perfection so many other people do, or the absolute perfection I find in other Gn'R songs.

Btw, I have no idea who Westlife is, so that insult has no meaning to me.   Gn'R is the only band I've ever had enough interest in to actually post on a message board and become involved with the community.

Each to their own I guess, but coming to GN'R board and saying you don't like the solos in NR is like a public execution! hehe

Part of what made GN'R so great is Slash's guitar playing, but if you dont like it I guess you dont have much basis to judge a song by a new band featuring predominantly Slash's guitar playing... confused

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
loretian
VIP

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2004, 08:36:56 PM »

Each to their own I guess, but coming to GN'R board and saying you don't like the solos in NR is like a public execution! hehe

Part of what made GN'R so great is Slash's guitar playing, but if you dont like it I guess you dont have much basis to judge a song by a new band featuring predominantly Slash's guitar playing... confused

Well, agreed on the public execution part.  Grin

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying.  I love Slash's guitar playing.  I just don't like the solo in November Rain, that's it.  My understanding is that Axl basically spelled out what he wanted from Slash for the solo, and that's how it comes across to me.  I think I would have liked it more if Slash did his own thing, but who knows.

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2004, 11:12:26 PM »

Well, agreed on the public execution part.  Grin

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying.  I love Slash's guitar playing.  I just don't like the solo in November Rain, that's it.  My understanding is that Axl basically spelled out what he wanted from Slash for the solo, and that's how it comes across to me.  I think I would have liked it more if Slash did his own thing, but who knows.

Fair enough, but it doesn't sound that way to me. Just sounds like the beautiful melodic solos that Slash has always played.

Listen to the solo in You Got No Right, its sounds just like the solos in NR, and Axl wasn't involved with that song.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
loretian
VIP

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2004, 11:22:41 PM »

Fair enough, but it doesn't sound that way to me. Just sounds like the beautiful melodic solos that Slash has always played.

Listen to the solo in You Got No Right, its sounds just like the solos in NR, and Axl wasn't involved with that song.

First of all, it's definitely a "Slash solo", as far as it sounding like him, which I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  However, to me, the feel of the NR solo is just an extension of the feel of the whole song, without any sort of "edge" to it.  Slash solos are usually kinda epic or just blazingly rockin', but there's usually a conflict with the main piece of music that makes it a lot more interesting, and it's quite obvious that more than one musician worked on the song because of it.

I just get so bored listening to the NR solo's; there's nothing surprising about them.  One solo I could forgive, but the second one is so unnecessary.  I think the second part of the song "everybody needs somebody" would sound even cooler if the electric guitar wasn't prominent up until that point either.

I haven't heard a good copy of You Got No Right, and could barely hear the solo.  I just really like the overall feel of that song, I'm waiting for the studio version to make my final opinion.

I think Slash's guitar work sounds great on Slither, because it doesn't quite fit perfectly with the feel of the the song, which is very slick and produced sounding.  It's by far my favorite part of the song.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 11:25:59 PM by loretian » Logged

liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2004, 11:02:40 AM »

since this thread started off discussing slither!!
here my .02$
i think its an awesome song....an absolute rocker
despite the fact that we havent heard a great quality version of it ...its still great
most of the reviews here are unnecesarily critical
for one ...this song's  sposed to have a menacing bass line...and the bass on this radio rip is pretty faint
ths slash solo is incredible...i mean hes back babbbyyy!!!
matt's drumming is really good as well
though i don like the "hey's " of scott on this song...i guess thats owing to the fact this is a radio rip and they are not prominent enough
aside from that this a great song from a great band!!!

and it doesnt make sense to compare it to maddy ot the blues...1. those are lyricallly-intense personal ballads
2. weve heard for a looong time now
3.they took a much looonger time to make
4. th guitar solos there suck!!

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2004, 06:18:28 AM »

Great song....First time i heard the live vers i dident really like it because i dident like scotts live vocals...not really very loud of clear...But i really LOVE the studio version....Its a great rocker for sure.. ok ok
Scotts got an excellent studio voice as well..he can sing in lots of different ways...... ok
I hope they make a great clip to help promote the single and new Album........ peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
madagas
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2004, 09:09:47 AM »

Alright, I have listened to the whole song two or three times now. Pretty good, much better than Set Me Free. I still don't really care for the tone of the guitar's on the main riffing of the song. However, Slash's solo is killer. .....ps Don't tell anybody, but now that Bucket is gone and my enthusiasm for the new band is lukewarm, I would love to hear Slash put a real solo on Chinese Democracy and the Blues. Those two songs are tailor made for his "slash and burn" style. A little more conventional solo on Rhiad and Maddy would be nice as well. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: