Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "why was rio cancelled? I dont like the excuse.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "why was rio cancelled? I dont like the excuse.  (Read 19868 times)
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« on: April 01, 2004, 10:35:39 PM »

last tour they played pretty much all AFD, now why do you need three guitarists? they never had 3 guitarists when they first started out... i just don't see why robin and richard can't handle the duties..

What Goes around comes around!
swosh26
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 11:10:30 PM »

The thing is AFD slash dubbed his guitar parts so there really was 3 guitars playing in that album. All the new songs were worked out in a 3 peace guitar orchestra. Dont kid yourself im in a band and when you practise with 3 guitarosts or 2 and a member isnt there it is as hard as hell to cover up all the parts that everyone worked out together.
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »

yeah i get that, but they still only used two players during the old tours...and how long does it take to find a fill in replacement? a guy just to play a couple of shows? axl could hire a interim replacement.. how long after izzy left did they hire gilby? im not bashing, im just wondering why they have to cancel.

What Goes around comes around!
GNR-Rules
This space was intentionally left blank
Rocker

I used to live behind Tower Records on sunset!

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 03:57:10 PM »

I know that is a very good question. But i think Axl wants to get the perfect replacement for Buckethead after all that could take some time but maybe he can't play the new songs at Rio without Buckethead or another replacement so maybe thats why..Regardless he gave you an explanation why and it was because of Buckethead so obviously thats the reason.

Chinese Democracy Starts Right Now!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 04:37:04 PM »

Its not that hard to figure out.

If slash quit a few months before rio would the old band continue on? hell fukin no.

Its the same thing with bucket. Hes a pivotal member of the group. They have to figure out what they ae gonan do about the situation now.

Who the fuck cares how many guitarists the old lineup had. Did you ever stop and think that maybe there are 3 guiatristrs in the band because 3 guitarists are necessary for thier own material.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 04:48:24 PM »

Its not that hard to figure out.

If slash quit a few months before rio would the old band continue on? hell fukin no.

Its the same thing with bucket. Hes a pivotal member of the group. They have to figure out what they ae gonan do about the situation now.

Who the fuck cares how many guitarists the old lineup had. Did you ever stop and think that maybe there are 3 guiatristrs in the band because 3 guitarists are necessary for thier own material.

So you think this band minus Buckethead couldn't belt out a few songs for a couple of hours?  Maybe 3 guitarists are necessary for their own material, but why couldn't they play a set of old tunes and explain to the crowd the situation?  Or would that make too much sense?

You're thinking in this "GN'R has to make a big return and take over the world" sense... why couldn't they just be a band for a few hours at Rio?  Play the AFD songs, learn one or two new songs, and maybe play a cover that's never been done by GN'R before.  There are no rules to what a band has to perform live.

I'm not saying they should tour without Buckethead, but at least live up to the Rio obligation.  My respect for Axl would've gone way up if he actually went out and played that show.

axls#2 is right, thier reason for cancelling is not great.  I believe the Rio organizers thought the same way... that's why they made the comments they did when people were trying to find out if the MTV article was true.
Mr_Brownstone16
Headliner

I don't kiss ass to anyone

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 04:51:30 PM »

>Who the fuck cares how many guitarists the old lineup had. Did you ever stop >and think that maybe there are 3 guiatristrs in the band because 3 guitarists are >necessary for thier own material

They didn't cancel the tour just because of Buckethead. Axl didn't have his shit together once again. He has been giving excuses for years now.
estranged.1098
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 06:24:51 PM »

Everyone knows Axl's a perfectionist, he simply doesn't want to do a show when they don't know what they're going to do with the band or even if BH is out for good. That's just the way he is. Period.

And if someone doesn't think he'll deliver then stop wasting your time.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 06:44:39 PM »

So you think this band minus Buckethead couldn't belt out a few songs for a couple of hours?  Maybe 3 guitarists are necessary for their own material, but why couldn't they play a set of old tunes and explain to the crowd the situation?  Or would that make too much sense?
Of course they could have done it, but again I ask you this....
If Slash quit before the rio gig back in the day would the band get a interim replacement and play rio? And the answer to that is no. So why should it be different with this band.

Buckethead was a pivotal band member. Your all coming from the point of view that this is some unorganized project. Axls intentions are to make his comeback with a band. And that band included buckethead. Now they have to regroup and figure out how they are going to move on.

Yea they could have played the same old songs, but then the next day half this board would be complaining about the same old setlist. Yet another gnr fan contradiction. Some fans are starting to catch up with  Axl in the contradiction department.

I'm not saying they should tour without Buckethead, but at least live up to the Rio obligation.
There obligation was for gnr to show up at rio. Gnr consists of axl,buckethead,robin,fortus,pittman,tommy,dizzy and brain....buckethead, their lead guitarits and important band member decides to quit. Plus they notified rio and the public well in advance. And its quite possible they notified the rio organizers much sooner than the press release we got.

I just dont understand why people are making a big deal over this rio cancellation. Who cares. Im more pissed because bucket is out. Who cares about a cancellation. It means nothing.
and ill ask the question to u all again....
if slash had quit before a gig like rio, would the old lineup continue on and do that show?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 06:46:34 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
killerbee_vr6
Opening Act

The lights they shine so bright

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »

This is just like the European cancellation a few years back. The chances of Bucket's departure being the real reason why the show was cancelled are almost zero. Remember when he "got sick"? It's just a convenient reason for Axl to use to not show up. He just doesn't have his shit together.

4/3/93 Sacramento
12/29/01 Las vegas
12/31/01 Las Vegas
9/20/06 SF
9/21/06 SF
estranged.1098
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 07:53:08 PM »

This is just like the European cancellation a few years back. The chances of Bucket's departure being the real reason why the show was cancelled are almost zero. Remember when he "got sick"? It's just a convenient reason for Axl to use to not show up. He just doesn't have his shit together.

I'm sure Axl opened a couple of bottles of champagne when he found out that the BH left GN'R.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 07:55:57 PM by estranged.1098 » Logged
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 10:29:07 PM »

First off, seeing as Buckethead hasn't responded to Axls remarks tells us he is pretty much the only reason for Rio being cancelled.

Second, lets look at the past few years:

MTV:
Axl takes alot of shit from quite a few people about a shitty performance.

US Tour:
Axl takes alot of shit for playing almost the entire Apettite album, with no new songs.

If Axl played rio this year without bucket, even if he got a 3rd guitarist in time, the guitarist wouldn't be able to play an entire headlining set of new songs.  You can't learn and be expected to play competently a 1.5+ hr show if you haven't even heard the songs before.  Therefor, they would be forced to play roughly the same set as the did on the US tour.  I remember people saying that if guns played the same set as on the US tour, they'd be finished and that they HAD to play new songs in RIO.

I'd much rather Axl drop this one show and spend the time, that otherwise would be wasted on rehearsals, on finding a new guitarist and finishing Chinese Democracy.  I have a feeling that Axl actually cared about Lisbon and was gonna announce the release date of Chinese Democracy then, since the press release said a couple months, and Lisbon is in a couple months.

BTW, I doubt that the 2001 cancellation due to a stomach ailment of Bucketheads was a fake because I don't see bucket as sitting back and being a scapegoat for Axl.  If it was a lie, bucket probably would have come out after Axl put out the press release to say that Axl lied in 2001.  It would give him alot more press, and people would like him cause he's taking a shot at Axl.

/Ben

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 11:50:57 PM »

If Axl played rio this year without bucket, even if he got a 3rd guitarist in time, the guitarist wouldn't be able to play an entire headlining set of new songs.  You can't learn and be expected to play competently a 1.5+ hr show if you haven't even heard the songs before.  Therefor, they would be forced to play roughly the same set as the did on the US tour.  I remember people saying that if guns played the same set as on the US tour, they'd be finished and that they HAD to play new songs in RIO.

Finally somebody who has some good points....
Mr_Brownstone16
Headliner

I don't kiss ass to anyone

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 12:27:02 AM »

I'd much rather Axl drop this one show and spend the time, that otherwise would be wasted on rehearsals, on finding a new guitarist and finishing Chinese Democracy.  I have a feeling that Axl actually cared about Lisbon and was gonna announce the release date of Chinese Democracy then, since the press release said a couple months, and Lisbon is in a couple months.

Yea,  more like he is probably just sitting in his mansion........thinking about who he can get to rerecord buckethead's parts. then he'll wait a little more. then try to do a scratch vocal...................
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 07:42:38 AM »

Bah, the excuse was very poor.

If u ask me Axl never had any intention of appearing.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 02:06:30 PM »

Well, my question to you all is this........

IF bucketdude has been  " unofficially " out of the band for nearly a whole year( if what i have read is actually correct! ), i know if it was me and my band, i would have searched for a new replacement a loooooong time ago.

So, that makes axls excuse pretty fucking lame to me.

i think this band of axls doesnt exist, or hasnt existed since the american tour failure anyways.

I think the rio thing was just one big missunderstanding from the brazilian side of things, expecting axls solo effort of a band to appear as per usual.

-------and time goes by-------
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »

last tour they played pretty much all AFD, now why do you need three guitarists? they never had 3 guitarists when they first started out... i just don't see why robin and richard can't handle the duties..

He has lost his third guitarists and he feels that his ideal concept of the band has fallen apart..

Axl is a perfectionist..if he can't get his way, it won't happen..Now when he is building his band back to

its feet, he won't perform and release the album, until he's 100 % sure that the timing is right and the band is

being re-build correctly.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 02:23:56 PM »

Why do you say so?
I thought the excuse bit was pretty odd in that statement as well.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 05:55:12 PM »

Why do you say so?
I thought the excuse bit was pretty odd in that statement as well.

The fact there was never any confirmation from the GNR camp,

the fact that Bhead had been out of the band for over a year, unofficially or other wise - plenty of time to get a replacement or do something about it

The fact he lets the absence of an unessery third guitarist interfere in the sole tour date on the year.

The whole thing seemed wrong from the start, i knew they wouldn't show.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 07:01:41 PM »

Ok ive had enough of this bullshit...all the media has givin axl for the last 8 years is shit after shit in the press..i read somethin today that his letter to the fans about rio was the worst one ever that god dam ridiculous...i dont know what the real excuse was for the cancellation of rio..but aviasly they were confirmed because if they werent axl either wouldnt of said anyting to he would of said that they werent confirmed.....and in a interview from dizzy they said that buckethead was gone a year ago..well that interview was called fake and according to dizzy it never happened so theres no proof he was gone a year ago.....Axl didnt have time for another guitar player to come in and learn all the new stuff or have the other guitar players learn bucketheads parts..so i think it was a good reason..and i comend axl...and im tired of hearing the press talk shit about axl  rant rant rant

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: