Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:47:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  LARS ULRICH: KURT COBAIN Didn't Want To Share The Stage With GUNS N' ROSES
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LARS ULRICH: KURT COBAIN Didn't Want To Share The Stage With GUNS N' ROSES  (Read 21464 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2004, 11:44:33 PM »

Back to the main topic....I think that the only thing we can really say for sure is that Kurt had a much higher opinion of Metallica than he did with Guns N' Roses, and that's because Nirvana and Metallica were much closer together on the rock spectrum than Nirvana and GN'R.  After all, Metallica had spent much of the 80s as the thrashy "alternative" to Sunset Strip hair metal, they were more politically correct, and they weren't concerned with image.  Except for the fact that they were metal, Metallica had most of the characteristics of a so-called alternative band.  So Kurt could probably respect them for that, while he slagged GN'R as the figurehead of glam excess.
kockstar99
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2004, 12:31:12 AM »

That just shows how little Kurt Cobain knew... He was nothing more than a junkie from Seattle.. limited Guitar ability, nonsense lyrics,  some people think he was such a genious... but most of his lyrics were nothing more than drug filled banter...

what better way to get more headlines for your up and comming band then to start a good fued in the media with the number 1 selling band in the world...

war of words nothing more...
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2004, 12:38:00 AM »

That just shows how little Kurt Cobain knew... He was nothing more than a junkie from Seattle.. limited Guitar ability, nonsense lyrics,  some people think he was such a genious... but most of his lyrics were nothing more than drug filled banter...

what better way to get more headlines for your up and comming band then to start a good fued in the media with the number 1 selling band in the world...

war of words nothing more...

Coudn't have put it better, i think Kurt was just jelous of the power GN'R had, and he wanted that for Nirvana so the best he could do was challenge them

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2004, 03:18:53 AM »

Kurt didn't like GN'R because of GN'R's lifestyle. All the cash spending, ego

issues and cancelled shows. That's mostly all about it why Kurt didn't like GN'R. I

bet he liked some of the GN'R'S songs, althouhg he has said that they are

bunch of untalented players....but it was all about that glamorous lifestyle he

didn't get it. Actually he hated everything that GN'R represented.  
slashsaxl
VIP

I'll never find anyone to replace you....

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2004, 04:41:05 AM »

And Cobain never said GNR can't play or that even he himself could play well, so why bring that up?  

no, he actually called gnr a bunch of talentless people....thats where that whole argument came from

rock n' roll

To Be A Rock And Not To Roll....
Guilty
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2004, 08:33:56 AM »

And Cobain never said GNR can't play or that even he himself could play well, so why bring that up?  

no, he actually called gnr a bunch of talentless people....thats where that whole argument came from

rock n' roll

Allright then, my mistake. Anyways, that's obviously a joke, just to piss off gnr and more so the fans. I so hate fans.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 08:35:54 AM by Guilty » Logged
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2004, 02:31:17 PM »

Kurt didn't like GN'R because of GN'R's lifestyle. All the cash spending, ego

issues and cancelled shows. That's mostly all about it why Kurt didn't like GN'R. I

bet he liked some of the GN'R'S songs, althouhg he has said that they are

bunch of untalented players....but it was all about that glamorous lifestyle he

didn't get it. Actually he hated everything that GN'R represented.  

Axl once said, concerning cancelling shows or showing up really late, that he'll only perform if he can give his audience 100%.  That obviously sucks for people who buy tickets to concerts where he doesn't show up.  But then, Kurt Cobain often did shows where he was fucked up, playing and singing really badly, cutting sets short, whatever.  On average, Kurt was less concerned than Axl about giving his fans a good show.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2004, 06:15:24 PM »

The new Kurt Loder article on MTV.com points out that Guns N' Roses drove Kurt nuts.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/n/nirvana/news_feature_040325/
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2004, 06:16:27 PM »

Cobain was a zero.No guitar skills,no voice,no songwriting ability. When he died,he became a hero,when actually he was nothing but a coward that couldn't face life and celebrity.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2004, 06:30:54 PM »

Cobain was a zero.No guitar skills,no voice,no songwriting ability. When he died,he became a hero,when actually he was nothing but a coward that couldn't face life and celebrity.

Hmmmm... see this always confuses me.... Ummm.... Nirvana's Nevermind came out before Kurt died right? and it was a huge fucking hit?... You're right though, if Kurt hadn't died, no one would ever remember that album, or a song like Smells Like Teen Spirit.   Roll Eyes

Guys, if you make a Diamond-selling album... you're going to be remembered, suck it up.  Nirvana rocks.
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2004, 08:23:40 PM »

Ok!
Enough is - enough!
I've been watching this for quiet some time and most of the people on this board - made me sick!
Wheather you accept it or not - Kurt WAS very talented musician who was far better text writer than Axl.
(And so is Billy Corgan).
Nobody here can say I am talking bad about their Axl cause I am HUGE GNR fan (and have been longer than most of your were even born!).
I have far more GNR bootlegs than I have from NIRVANA,    but you guys went tooooooo far!
Ive been listening for 15 years thoose two bands and them + SMASHING PUMPKINS are my 3 favorite bands.
Estranged,  Coma and Don't cry were phantastic songs.
BUT,  apart from that AXL went on,  and on and on about bitches,  fuckers, foreigners,  drugs .. and that was it!
Kurt and Billy wrote songs about much more serious things!
People being shitty to one another,  love,  hate,  people having bad times.
AXL was (to use DUFF words) bitter about everything and his songs were mostly full of hate.
Billy and Kurt were talking about MUCH more internal issues.
They haven't hated anyone.   They were talking about our society not being righteous (Just think of 'One in a million' on one side,  and Kurt refering to rednecks and people who hated others cause they were scared of not knowing them).
Kurt didn't hate anyone and that shows that he was brighter.
I hope there isn't one of you who thinks hateing is smart - cause it is not.
Nobody forces you to love anyone,  but respect is least you can have for others (especially if you don't know them).
Here is the truth!
Axl HAS outed himself as NIRVANA fan everywhere till he asked Kurt to open up for GNR and Metallica when Kurt rejected the offer.
Indeed,  why do you say crap about him,  isn't it his choice?
Wasn't NEVERMIND selling more at that time (summer 92) than GNR?
Should've he said YES,  and then been pulled into mud (like the rest of GUNNERS and METALLICA) right at the start of his career by that insane idiot Axl?    Just cause that well known night Axl tried to be bigger star of the night than poor James Hatfield who got third degree burns.
Sorry people,  but for all you AXL lovers,  I have a fanzine in my hands where Axl has blue NIRVANA cap on top of his head (not vice versa!).
Kurt NEVER started the fight with AXL (not GNR!).
AXL (after Kurt rejected him and it hurt his ego) DID!
AXL was right for saying that crap about Kurt,  Courtney and their baby, but,  he rolled a 'snowball' there that went on and on.
Fact is,  Kurt and Courtney were polite enough to send AXL christmas card every year (so is Perla).
I don't remember that selfish prick ever send one to anyone apart from letters 'you are fired'  (be honest and don't tell me he couldn't say that to SLASH,  DUFF, IZZY,  GILBY in their faces).
These people MADE him who he was.
He was just ok songwriter with superb band who couldn't sing.
He lost voice by 6th song of almost every concert I've seen,  heard, attended.
He was dragging around supermodels,  changed his clothes every 5 songs and wore fur coats to bars they went to after gigs.
Therefore,  don't tell me who was rock star!
I was at GNR concerts and I know what I am talking about.
Funny,  nobody says crap about Kurt but even AXL's latest hero (whom he used as a gun against SLASH),  says crap about him.
Come on,  BH was your people hero till 5 days ago.
As far as AXL is considered,  even the ones who were called in to 'play'  SLASH,  DUFF,  MATT, IZZY and GILBY are running away.
You can be right 3 - 4 times,  but man,  everyone is running away from that guy!    How can you protect him!     How can you downplay Kurt,  SLASH,  DUFF,  MATT,  IZZY and GILBY,  when they haven't said one bad thing about him.
Kurt didn't like him for the sake of the amount of hate in his songs.
Do you blame him?   I don't!
Talking about all those stories where GNR and NIRVANA hated each other..
They were all friends damn it!
DUFF WAS (!!!) the last person who saw him alive!
They chatted for hours on the plane.
DUFF was gonna offer Kurt a ride home but Kurt dissapeared cause he was afraid Duff might talk him away from the suicide.
So much about Duff going to fight Kurt and Nirvana at MTV VMA awards 92.
KRIST NOVOSELIC got in fight with DUFF's gorillas but not DUFF (not only they were friends,  but he is taller than Duff...).
SLASH often said how much it hurt him when he got the news about Kurt.
People,  don't talk crap about things you don't know much about.
Their relationships belong to them not you.
Don't get involved.
I know a lot about both bands,  read every magazine and book on them and many of you talk crap here.
NIRVANA,  SMASHING PUMPKINS and GNR were top three bands of the 90's (and will forever be my favorite bands),   and don't make difference btween them
Just don't.   Kurt died and let it be.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2004, 08:41:24 PM »

I don't remember that selfish prick ever send one to anyone apart from letters 'you are fired'  (be honest and don't tell me he couldn't say that to SLASH,  DUFF, IZZY,  GILBY in their faces).

i dont think anyone on this board would rember that. and you dont even know that for a fact. all you know is that non of the X members dont say if they get a x-mas card from axl.......

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2004, 08:48:33 PM »

Send this post to the Kurt vs. Axl thread we already had going...
Evolution
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2004, 08:59:47 PM »

BUT,  apart from that AXL went on,  and on and on about bitches,  fuckers, foreigners,  drugs .. and that was it!
Kurt and Billy wrote songs about much more serious things!
People being shitty to one another,  love,  hate,  people having bad times.

come on!kurt pieced together poems to comprise lyrics.he wrote about rubbish half the time.

Kurt NEVER started the fight with AXL (not GNR!).

if your referring to the vma's yes he did.he shouted over to axl "would u like to be the godfather of our child"or some words to tha effect.obviously a provocation.

He was just ok songwriter with superb band who couldn't sing.
He lost voice by 6th song of almost every concert I've seen,  heard, attended.

if you are trying to compare the likes of november rain to come as you are etc. dont even bother

Therefore,  don't tell me who was rock star!
I was at GNR concerts and I know what I am talking about.
hihi

DUFF WAS (!!!) the last person who saw him alive!

he was the last music celebrity to see him alive

People,  don't talk crap about things you don't know much about.
Their relationships belong to them not you.
Don't get involved.

oh and you do know a lot?

I know a lot about both bands,  read every magazine and book on them and many of you talk crap here.

oh i see because the magazines are gospel?

Just don't.   Kurt died and let it be.

take your own advice maybe?
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2004, 09:01:28 PM »

Kurt writes better than Axl? He's the worst songwritter I've ever seen... how can you say he talks about hard themes if the songs dont have sense?

Tell me, about what is Smells Like Teen Spirit?

Load up on guns
Bring your friends
It's fun to lose
And to pretend
She's overboard
Myself assured
I know I know
A dirty word

Hello (x 16)

With the lights out it's less dangerous
Here we are now
Entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yeah

Yeah, after listening November Rain, Breakdown, Estranged, Locomotive and Madagascar, I just can say: FUCK YOU
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 09:16:46 PM by Fuckin' Gunner » Logged

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2004, 09:45:42 PM »

Kurt was a great vocalist/songwriter, although he wasn't the idealized version that many people seem to hold of him (you included).  

Cobain was much more concerned about his image and career than many people realized.  He had a sense of humour, but he could be cruel really.  He had domestic disputes with Courtney where the police were called to his house, he passed out on drugs when his daughter was born, he collected guns, he phoned a female journalist's home and threatened to kill her for writing unflattering things about him.  He had just as big an ego as any other rock star and that's the truth.  

As for Axl, he did love Nirvana's music.  Axl reacted against being rejected and ridiculed by Kurt.  Cobain slammed Axl in many interviews/publications I saw, before the VMA awards thing ever happened.  

As for lyrics, Cobain's are much more abstract and poetic than Axl's.  Axl's are like little snapshots of realism.  They are different, not really comparable.  That doesn't mean one is better than the other imo.

Axl definitely has a lot of misogynistic lyrics, a problem with women and of course One in a Million.  Myself, as a woman, I can listen to an artist's experience without taking the lyrics personally.  I understand that Axl wrote OIAM, as a young person coming to a strange place, and those were his feelings of fear at the time.  I don't have to agree with it, nor do I have to judge him, to enjoy the power of that song, even if it is negative energy.  

Frankly, what Kurt attacked Axl for was a real snobby, elitist thing, imo.  Would Kurt have lectured Prince about excess/extravagance?  Or Snoop Dogg about misogyny?  Don't think so.  Kurt had derision for Axl as a way of holding a kind of white boy punk credibility, and Axl responded because he's well....nuts.  And it probably sincerely hurt his feelings.  

I like Kurt's music, but if he had lived, he might have gotten paunchy, lost his hair, dumped Courtney, put out questionable music and been skewered by the next up and comer.  And so it goes.  

Oh, and PS, Duff most certainly was part of the fray on that fateful VMA award night.  He did try to corner KN until security stepped in.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 09:49:21 PM by Freya » Logged
swosh26
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2004, 10:32:36 PM »

Kurt writes better than Axl? He's the worst songwritter I've ever seen... how can you say he talks about hard themes if the songs dont have sense?

Tell me, about what is Smells Like Teen Spirit?

Load up on guns
Bring your friends
It's fun to lose
And to pretend
She's overboard
Myself assured
I know I know
A dirty word

Hello (x 16)

With the lights out it's less dangerous
Here we are now
Entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yeah

Yeah, after listening November Rain, Breakdown, Estranged, Locomotive and Madagascar, I just can say: FUCK YOU

haha man i agree with you. I new his lyrics were bad but after reading this i have confirmed that his song writting was a joke! Nothing more then a joke. and he couldnt tune a damn guitar for fuck sakes to add on top of this.
tanya
Opening Act

I'm a goddess

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2004, 10:34:49 PM »

Grin    i dated axl for five months wehn i was a junior in highschool we met thru is brother stuart. I got to be good friends with axl, stuart and amy. Nicest bunch of people you could ever hope to meet. and axl was close to his brother and sister. he had custody of stuart  since stuart was seven or eight years old. we had a blast together.

IM an earth goddess
ktucker450
Rocker

Don't follow my footsteps, i walk into poles

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2004, 11:02:52 PM »

i dated axl for five months wehn i was a junior in highschool we met thru is brother stuart. I got to be good friends with axl, stuart and amy. Nicest bunch of people you could ever hope to meet. and axl was close to his brother and sister. he had custody of stuart  since stuart was seven or eight years old. we had a blast together.

and I'm Axl's kid.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »

Kurt was a great vocalist/songwriter, although he wasn't the idealized version that many people seem to hold of him (you included).  

Cobain was much more concerned about his image and career than many people realized.  He had a sense of humour, but he could be cruel really.  He had domestic disputes with Courtney where the police were called to his house, he passed out on drugs when his daughter was born, he collected guns, he phoned a female journalist's home and threatened to kill her for writing unflattering things about him.  He had just as big an ego as any other rock star and that's the truth.  

As for Axl, he did love Nirvana's music.  Axl reacted against being rejected and ridiculed by Kurt.  Cobain slammed Axl in many interviews/publications I saw, before the VMA awards thing ever happened.  

As for lyrics, Cobain's are much more abstract and poetic than Axl's.  Axl's are like little snapshots of realism.  They are different, not really comparable.  That doesn't mean one is better than the other imo.

Axl definitely has a lot of misogynistic lyrics, a problem with women and of course One in a Million.  Myself, as a woman, I can listen to an artist's experience without taking the lyrics personally.  I understand that Axl wrote OIAM, as a young person coming to a strange place, and those were his feelings of fear at the time.  I don't have to agree with it, nor do I have to judge him, to enjoy the power of that song, even if it is negative energy.  

Frankly, what Kurt attacked Axl for was a real snobby, elitist thing, imo.  Would Kurt have lectured Prince about excess/extravagance?  Or Snoop Dogg about misogyny?  Don't think so.  Kurt had derision for Axl as a way of holding a kind of white boy punk credibility, and Axl responded because he's well....nuts.  And it probably sincerely hurt his feelings.  

I like Kurt's music, but if he had lived, he might have gotten paunchy, lost his hair, dumped Courtney, put out questionable music and been skewered by the next up and comer.  And so it goes.  

Oh, and PS, Duff most certainly was part of the fray on that fateful VMA award night.  He did try to corner KN until security stepped in.  

wow, an intelligent post on this board, much less on a Kurt Vs. Al thread, i am quite impressed.
I love reading these posts because some of you posters are so full of shit. "Axl sucks" "no, kurt sucks" "no, you suck!"  hihi
Do any of you people realize that human beings are complicated and nuanced (you may need to look that word up) and their situations/conflicts/relationships are rarely black and white? Can any of you maintain opposing thoughts simultaneously?
It IS what Freya wrote- they both played parts in their rivalry, they both had massive egos, Kurt was very much both a rock star and its antithesis (might want to look that word up too) and this conflict contributed greatly to his self-loathing (yes, Kurt was self-loathing), Kurt provoked Axl and Axl responded in the way Kurt wanted (with violence and intimidation).. it was very much like when the kid who was bullied on the playground walks up to the bully, 10 years later, to prove himself and the bully tries once again to use the same pseudo masculine aggressive tactics... except, and i have mentioned this before, they were both bullied. Kurt and Axl had so much in common and i think that is why they had such a hatred for each other (though Axl only really hated Kurt because Kurt dissed him, very publicly, and i agree with Freya, his feelings were hurt).
She is also correct that Kurt's lyrics were more abstract while Axl's were more literal.
But people, it's not one or the other. It's amazing that these people choose music as a way to communicate their inner most feelings and thoughts and so many of you don't get their message.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: