Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:28:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227821 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  greatest hits proves that Chinese democracy will sell big
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: greatest hits proves that Chinese democracy will sell big  (Read 11844 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: April 09, 2004, 11:09:56 AM »

i was one bitchin bout how the greatest hits was a horrible idea

tracklisting sucked, there was no need for it etc

the greatest hits sold almost 170,000 copies in its first week, had GNR not released it with the buzzsaw that is Usher and the NOW compilation it wouldve been number 1

think about it, no single, very little promotion, crappy tracklisting and it still was a top 5 album

so to me that leaves little doubt that CD wont debut at number 1

a new highly anticipated mysterious cd, a single and video there is no way chinese democracy can fell

Usher and Norah Jones already proved that the internet isnt as significant as everyone thought cause they moved over a million units first week which reinforces that music sales are down simply cause the music is shit

with the greatest hits doing so well axl in my opinion cant use the scared or self concious excuse cause if the greatest hits doesnt prove that fans still care for GNR and are thirsty for more, nothing will

think about it

heavy promotion,a kick ass single and video, press

if GH's can sell without those things imagine how well CD will sell

i guarantee over 500,000

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 11:27:48 AM »

With the right single & video I would say it could do upwards of 800,000 in it's first week.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 11:40:30 AM »

I think the Greatest Hits proved that GN'R had some hits and that people want to hear them on one album.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 11:40:35 AM »

I'll see your 800,000 and raise you to a million
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »

I'll see your 800,000 and raise you to a million

Well Hell how bout the bet nsync''s Record of 2+ million, sombody has to eventully they have just as  good of a shot as anybody

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 11:47:02 AM »

I think it doesn?t prove Chinese will sell big...I think it proves(maybe) that people are old GnR thirsty...they want the old, original and real GnR.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 12:17:22 PM »

Maybe it proves that people don't want to buy more than one album to get the few GNR songs they want to own. Maybe people just want November Rain and SCOM on one disk.

I think CD will sell depending on the strength of its singles, like everything else. Without a popular single upon release it will sell no more than 200,000. You look at a band like Aerosmith, who just released their album without a single (a top 5 release at about 150,000). They're fans are still there and bought it, plus maybe some people who read a good review or two, but the casual listened isn't going to buy it without a single.

I believe Axl will have singles good enough to sell a lot, because I think people miss GNR, and even more they miss rock. But until we hear the singles, we won't really know.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 12:18:08 PM »

I think it doesn?t prove Chinese will sell big...I think it proves(maybe) that people are old GnR thirsty...they want the old, original and real GnR.
i think that people want real rnr,and they know what axl can do!
wheatever old or new band,new gunsnroses album will have a great selling,and with couple songs like madagascar and the blues,and some great hard tunes,new album will have a great sucess.
Mick jager and stiven tayler are too old,and world need new rnr icon.Only axl rose can be that!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 12:18:40 PM »

I think it proves(maybe) that people are old GnR thirsty...they want the old, original and real GnR.
Dude give it a fukin rest.

The people saw an album that had classics on it. They say lets buy that. The hardcore fan might say soemthing like that but the casual fan is not sweating over the old vs new...trust me...and thats another thing...

the greatest hists sales proves my theory about non hardcore gnr fans buying CD.
A lot of the people on these boards did not buy this GH album. That means non hardcore fans did. That means when gnr release their next album and the music is good they will buy it too.Along with the people on these boards that didnt buy GH. What we have hear is a shortage of CD at you rlocal store :}

Everyone on these boards will buy atleats 1 copy of CD. Add that to the casual rock fan, the casual gnr fan{that hasnt been following them since 95ish}, the new kids, and everyone else that might appeal to the new sound of gnr. hence you have the hottest album in the country.
Once gnr get their shit together they will be fine. The peopel are craving for a good album. Hopefully the material will deliver. and it will....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 12:23:23 PM »

It shows that GN'R fans out there are still willing to buy material, and i think 1,000,000 copies in the first week is spot on Smiley

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 01:03:30 PM »

I think the Greatest Hits proved that GN'R had some hits and that people want to hear them on one album.

/jarmo

Exactly.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 02:18:27 PM »

^ Common sense

And very little promotion?  Where are you from?  Because Ive seen television ads and print ads and heard tons of radio coverage, including live reads from Howard Stern.  
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 02:22:26 PM »

I don't know, I thought that GN'R name was quite of damaged..I never thought that GH and expecially the brand of Guns and Roses would sell this good. Good sells numbers give me a bit of hope about Chinese Democracy....well..good GH selling figures can be explained that people want to hear GN'R's hits on one album as Jarmo and Falcon stated..
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 03:24:08 PM »

What Jarmo said Smiley
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 03:28:02 PM »

I thought that GN'R name was quite of damaged
The whole gnr name is ruined idea is was overated and gets overblown. The band hasnt had a good run in the pr department but the sales speak for itself. People will buy GNR cds. And they will buy the new cd{if its good}. The issue with the casual fan is if the material is good not the whole old vs new thing that we have argued about for years on this board.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 03:29:44 PM »

Exactly. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the GNR name is still a huge entity. I think the new album, with a single/video and promotion could sell upwards of 700k units the first week, and I'm not joking.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:46 PM »

And very little promotion?  Where are you from?  Because Ive seen television ads and print ads and heard tons of radio coverage, including live reads from Howard Stern.  

No doubt, I've seen tons of TV and print ads as well, heard
countless radio spots (none on modern rock stations but that's another dead horse) and the release has been commented on virtually every music news website imaginable.

I am thoroughly impressed by early sales of GH but holding judgement for a few more weeks.  If I'm not mistaken, sales dipped in the 2nd week 48%, crunch those numbers over some time and you've got a complete stall in about week 7 or 8 at approximately 600,000 units sold, if that.

With no unreleased tracks or single to spike sales, GH albums in general tend not to have "long legs", musicspeak for selling multiple units over a long time period.

Keep the above in mind before declaration of early sales figures meaning anything in regard to CD's future numbers.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 04:09:58 PM »

If the new album (which I don't think will be called CD anymore, after all the negative association with that name, 2002 tour and such) gets as much of a promotional push from Geffen as GH did, it will easily shift at least 500,000 in its 1st 2 weeks. Thats, again if it is ever released. Roll Eyes

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 04:47:24 PM »

The GH in no way 'proves' that CD will sell big.  Roll Eyes

I've had a ton of people come up to me and ask 'hey, who's this cool new band with the dude with the top hat and those other blond dudes?'

People still see the old GN'R as being 'cool'. They're timeless.

The new band? Well...I VERY much doubt the reaction will be anywhere near the same. The casual observer would be 'who are these weird looking guys doing the old songs by those other dudes?'

People will expect a record that has Aerosmith-inflected rock. Classic rock style music is big again. Industrial-inflected experimental records (which I imagine CD will be) probably won't sell like a Darkness album, or even a GN'R GH.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy CD if it comes out, but the fickle masses will probably reject it.  Undecided

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 05:30:42 PM »

Industrial-inflected experimental records (which I imagine CD will be) probably won't sell like a Darkness album, or even a GN'R GH.

Wow, I really hope you're joking. It won't sell like a "Darkness album"Huh What in the blue hell are you smoking? And you all are really going overboar with all the "it's too industrial" crap. Do 'Madagascar', 'The Blues', or 'Chinese Democracy' sound the anything industrial? NO!

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: