Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:32:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Better versions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Better versions  (Read 4115 times)
Pretty_D
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: April 13, 2004, 08:59:58 AM »

Why do you think that gns make a better versions of the original songs..like Live and let die...or Knocking???

sorry..but  I do not write  very well in english
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:29:52 AM »

Live- Knocking on heavens door
Studio/ Live and let die

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Immortal-Cry
Banned
Headliner

W.A.R. is my answer!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 01:22:04 PM »

IMHO
- the originals are soft, slow and sleepy.
- the studio versions of GN'R are cheesy.
- the live versions of GN'R are raw and sprayin' pure energy around.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I DO!  
anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »

The 2002 version of Knocking On Heaven's Door kicks the ass of any version that came before.

Counterfeit_God
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 02:56:17 PM »

Interesting...the 2002 version of KOHD was the only song I felt I could have slept through-even from the front row.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 10:44:06 PM »

Best version of KOHD is from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert 1992. The whole band just rips through the song!

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 12:57:21 AM »

After watching the Tokyo dvds last night, I have to say the live version of Double Talkin' Jive with the extended Slash solo is much better live than on record too.

I forgot about how great Slash is. I've always known that he's good, but he absolutely shreds on during the Tokyo concert! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
SunKing278
Headliner

The loveliest girls are always in your GN'R

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 03:56:39 AM »

From the perspective of a hard rock/metal fan, the GNR version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is light years ahead of Dylan, or Eric Clapton's reggae-lite version for that matter.  Granted, the general population would disagree, but those versions didn't have Slash and Axl to give them life.  And I don't even consider this to be one of GNR's better songs.  I felt they could performed "Civil War" on the 2002 tour in lieu of this one.  Now how earth-shattering would that have been?

"Live and Let Die" was one of the only halfway decent Wings songs, but GNR's version totally kicks its ass.  Again, GNR just adds an energy and life to it that wasn't there before.

As for Spaghetti Incident tracks, I'll only mention the ones of which I've heard the originals.

Slash's opening to "Since I Don't Have You" is heavenly.  A vastly underrated  - even by GNR fans - cover version of a great 1950's standard.  I'd say the two are about equal in quality.

Slash and Michael Monroe added a truly sinister edge to the Dead Boys "Ain't It Fun" missing from the original.  Granted, Stiv Bators sounded pretty damn serious, but Axl and Monroe (a former roommate of Stiv's) take this song to new heights.  The original's guitar work was very weak, something Slash corrects and then some.

GNR does an okay job with Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog," but Axl sounds rather uninspired on it.  Doesn't hold a candle to the original, truly one of the all-time great hard rock standards.

Misfits' "Attitude" gets an edge over GNR's version, if only because Duff McKagan is no Glenn Danzig.  No offense, Duff.

I slightly prefer The Damned's "New Rose" to GNR's, but I love both versions.

I love what Axl does with the New York Dolls' "Human Being."  About equal to the original version.

"Raw Power" was just a bit more raw when done by Iggy and his Stooges, but give GNR credit for trying.

GNR's "Buick McKane" can't compare to the T. Rex original, especially since they only play a portion of the song before segueing into the chorus of "Big Dumb Sex" from Soundgarden.  Axl and Slash sing this one together, although Slash is barely audible.  Basically done as a farce, but a very cool Slash riff throughout.  Both of these songs are classics.  T. Rex is the greatest glam rock band of all-time, bar none.

Fear's "I Don't Care About You" is a lot better than GNR's, although Axl screaming "Fuck You" at the top of his lungs makes their version utterly entertaining.

I've never been able to find the original Steve Jones "Black Leather," but I would love to hear it.  My favorite song on Spaghetti Incident.  Never heard UK Subs "Down on the Farm," but I crack up laughing everytime I hear Axl attempting to sing in a British accent ("I'd rather be back in Soho than down here on the farm!").  The only other song I've never heard the original of is Duff McKagan's loving tribute to Johnny Thunders, "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory."  The Manson song is not worth mentioning, and nobody will ever hear the original, anyway.

"A great song can be found anywhere.  Do yourself a favor and go find the originals" - from the liner notes to Spaghetti Incident

SunKing278
Headliner

The loveliest girls are always in your GN'R

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 03:59:04 AM »

Oh, Jesus, have could I have forgot?Huh  SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL.  Like the GNR version, but that song - as done by the Stones - is one of the Top Five Rock N'Roll songs ever.  Can't top perfection!

Pretty_D
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 06:04:31 PM »

Dead Flowers is also better that the original song of the RS..in my opinion of course.
Counterfeit_God
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »

If I remember correctly, Duff sings Down on the Farm, but I am half asleep right now.
bill213
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 06:32:54 PM »

wrong my homie from ML1.......the axl miester sings down on the farm in a british accent.  
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 12:34:45 AM »

For what it's worth to you, not only have I heard the original Charles Manson version of "Look At Your Game Girl", I bought his CD that was released.....

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Counterfeit_God
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 09:55:06 AM »

wrong my homie from ML1.......the axl miester sings down on the farm in a british accent.  

I stand corrected Bildo!  The cd was 3 feet away from me when I posted that yesterday, but i was too lazy to reach forward and look.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 04:44:59 PM »

The Manson song is not worth mentioning, and nobody will ever hear the original, anyway.

I love both the original and the GNR version. Manson actually has a pretty cool voice, you should download the mp3 Wink

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 07:14:37 PM »

In the case of KoHD, the band just updated the sound, and the new band's version, especially the Rio version, is just astonoshing. With LALD, it was a very weak song back then, with all the circus-like tinker-bells and whatnot, but GNR just adds 110% of adrenaline into it and make it kick ass...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: