Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  what a good year
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what a good year  (Read 8026 times)
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« on: April 22, 2004, 11:07:16 AM »

1992,in yugoslavia we had 3 tv chanel1,2,and 3.3 chanel was chanel of popular music,films and other cool stuff.In june 1992 i saw on third chanel special information "in friday we will have special show of the biggest rnr  band gunsnroses,and after that gnr big show in paris".i was in trans,i taped all paris show on tape and watched this xxx...
After couple weeks they put don't cry from tokyo,and then said"new gnr show,from tokyo".i was in trans again.

1992 was a year when GNr was the biggest band in the world

what a good year
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 11:16:30 AM »

Hmmmm wouldn't you say 88-93 were good years, GN'R wereb the biggest in them 2

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 11:27:35 AM »

you're right,but for me 1992 was something special
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:57:23 AM »

Yeah, 1992 was a big year for GN'R.

Sold out stadium shows, Freddie Mercury Tribute, November Rain video, MTV VMAs...

GN'R were popular back in 1988 too, but to me it seems like they got more media attention in 1992. Maybe because they toured over here in 1991-93 and didn't play in Europe in 1988.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 11:59:25 AM »

Thats cool, 2001 was special for me cos thats when i discovered Guns N' Roses Smiley

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Chunkie
Headliner

Here Today... DEAD Tomorow

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 02:20:06 PM »

Lets just say that all guns n' roses years are good! (maybe not all but they are passing in a wait for a new record)

God damn Slash The Man
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 05:29:35 PM »

When I read the topic title I thought you were talking about this year and I just didn't get it  Smiley

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 05:41:34 PM »

When I read the topic title I thought you were talking about this year and I just didn't get it  Smiley

Me too! Call 2003 and 2004 the un-1992. Cripes. I remember when they were touring in '92 it seemed like it would never end.

I've seen enough.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 01:37:38 AM »

I was only 11 at the time, but I seem to remember Axl doing something on MtV every other minute back then. How do you go from being the most visible man in rock to some dude who hides out in Malibu for a decade? Huh
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 01:38:10 AM by NickNasty » Logged

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 02:54:20 AM »

I was only 11 at the time, but I seem to remember Axl doing something on MtV every other minute back then. How do you go from being the most visible man in rock to some dude who hides out in Malibu for a decade? Huh

It shocks us all hihi

slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 07:48:17 AM »

Good question,i know of only one red headed guy that could possibly answer ok

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
Evolution
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 09:18:43 AM »

this year has bn my best as a gnr fan because gh has rejuvinated everybody in scotland about gnr and i feel cd is close
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 07:47:40 PM »

92 was the first year without IZZY, it was a downhill slump from beginning to end

At the beginning of the year they were 'the most dangerous band in the world', by the end they were regarded by most (I am not saying its true) as a faultering self parody of their once great selves.

This is the image of GNR that still sticks in the minds of many people, its an incorrect image and one that Axl should finnally get to bury for good with his awesome new band.

92 was the year that I try and forget.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 09:41:26 PM »

GNR were coming to OZ in 93, n' i remember all through out 92 it was GNR, GNR, GNR, the talk, on tv, everywhere. Plus...could be only in Australia but they had a GNR compatition on Pepsi cans, once you finished it, you look inside the can to see if you won or not to see them live in the next year.
I must have bought hundreds that year.  yes
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 09:44:57 PM by clintron » Logged

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 05:30:29 AM »

GNR were coming to OZ in 93, n' i remember all through out 92 it was GNR, GNR, GNR, the talk, on tv, everywhere. Plus...could be only in Australia but they had a GNR compatition on Pepsi cans, once you finished it, you look inside the can to see if you won or not to see them live in the next year.
I must have bought hundreds that year.  yes

Man i wish i was old enough to be able to see them when they came to Oz, they sounded like really good shows Cry

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 10:16:18 AM »

hey Rale, where are you from?
I'm from Split!

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 11:22:51 AM »

hey torcida(hajduk), i'm from kragujevac(100 km from belgrade).
what are you doing?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 12:10:34 PM »

Torcida and rale, please use PMs....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 03:22:54 PM »

Sure GnR was big in 1992 but the end was near.  Nirvana's Nevermind came out in the Fall of 91 and by summer of 92 the reaper was at the door for the entire hair metal scene.  Despite the fact that GnR and Metallica were touring together and conquering the world, Nirvana still totally changed the direction that music was going.  So I don't know how good of a year 92 actually was for the Gunners...
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 03:34:13 AM »

Sure GnR was big in 1992 but the end was near.  Nirvana's Nevermind came out in the Fall of 91 and by summer of 92 the reaper was at the door for the entire hair metal scene.  Despite the fact that GnR and Metallica were touring together and conquering the world, Nirvana still totally changed the direction that music was going.  So I don't know how good of a year 92 actually was for the Gunners...
But dude tell me this. From September of 1991 to July of 1993 GN'R sold 32 million copies of the Illusion albums worldwide while Nirvana only sold 8 million copies worldwide of In Utero and Nevermind. They sold 24 million more copies than the biggest Grunge band ever in a period of one year and 10 months. What kind of slump is that? Dude back in the 1990s Guns N' Roses pulled out Michael Jackson type of album sales. That you can't forget.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 03:35:02 AM by IndiannaRose » Logged
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 04:01:26 AM »

2003 was the best GN'R year...

All the anticipation and the agony...

and the RIR4 announcement...

and the Greatest Hits cancellation...

Well, at least I visited L.A. and went to the Roxy and the Rainbow...

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 04:54:06 PM »

GNR ain't a fuckin' hair band,dude!!!!  Nirvana didn't change the direction the music was going.Stop beleving in all the crap documentaries you see on TV.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 07:44:02 PM »

It was kind cool in 92 how GNR went totally against the grain, and while new bands or grunge bands were stripping everything down GNR went and got extra musicians/singers and made the most expensive videos ever.

That took some balls and they got a lot of stick for doing it.

Nirvana may have put the last nail in the coffin of hairmetal but GNR dug the grave.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »

MadmanDan, please tell me how you know so much about what went on in 91-92?  You were about 7-8 years old, I'm sure you were listening to the radio a lot then!!  To deny that Nirvana changed the way that music was going is a total shortcut to thinking.  Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and STP were starting to dominate the radio and MTV, as was NIN.  People were growing tired of the thoughtless party music that the 80s scene produced, they wanted music with substance. I didn't have to watch documentaries about it, I was 18-19 years old.  You were still watching Saturday morning cartoons and playing on the swings at recess.  I didn't say that GnR was a hair metal band but like it or not that is how they were classified at the time.  Don't get me wrong, I love GnR, but your statement was bullocks.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 01:13:18 PM »

MadmanDan, please tell me how you know so much about what went on in 91-92?  You were about 7-8 years old, I'm sure you were listening to the radio a lot then!!  To deny that Nirvana changed the way that music was going is a total shortcut to thinking.  Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and STP were starting to dominate the radio and MTV, as was NIN.  People were growing tired of the thoughtless party music that the 80s scene produced, they wanted music with substance. I didn't have to watch documentaries about it, I was 18-19 years old.  You were still watching Saturday morning cartoons and playing on the swings at recess.  I didn't say that GnR was a hair metal band but like it or not that is how they were classified at the time.  Don't get me wrong, I love GnR, but your statement was bullocks.
i don't aggry with you man,gnr was more more popular than nirvana(gnr album was sold in more more copies than nirvana,gnr uyi tour was bigger than any nirvana or pearl tour).nirvana,pearl jam had a bog media popularuty,but never was big like gnr.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 01:38:57 PM »

Some of you just don't get it!  I never said that Nirvana or any other Seattle band sold more than GnR, I never said that their tours were bigger, etc.  My point was and still is that 1992-93 was the beginning of the end for GnR and the start of a new music scene, Alt-Rock, Grunge, whatever you want to call it.  The influence of these bands (Nirvana, AIC, PJ, NIN) can still be heard today in countless numbers of bands.  They changed music!  How many bands today have a GnR or 80s metal sound?  One or two??  Even in them, the Brides of Destruction, The Darkness, you can still here how Cobain and others influenced their sound.  I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just sayin'....
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 03:31:20 PM »

Even in them, the Brides of Destruction, The Darkness, you can still here how Cobain and others influenced their sound.  I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just sayin'....

I don't know the Brides Of Destruction, but about The Darkness, where exactly did you hear something close to "Cobain"?

I see more GN'R than Cobain in The Darkness...

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »

I hear it in the dirtiness of the guitar sound.  It's not as crisp as the 80 metal sound.  In my opinion, that comes from the Seattle Era sound.  Maybe not specifically Cobain, perhaps Jerry Cantrell or Kim Thayil.  At any rate, the new psuedo 80s rock has been influenced and updated thanks in great part to the bands that rocked from the mid-90s.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »

I hear it in the dirtiness of the guitar sound.  It's not as crisp as the 80 metal sound.  In my opinion, that comes from the Seattle Era sound.  Maybe not specifically Cobain, perhaps Jerry Cantrell or Kim Thayil.  At any rate, the new psuedo 80s rock has been influenced and updated thanks in great part to the bands that rocked from the mid-90s.

Jarmo knows I love the Darkness. I saw them live and I got lots of bootlegs.

From my experience with the Darkness, I don't have the same opinion as you.

But that's just my opinion...

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 01:48:36 AM »

Some of you just don't get it!  I never said that Nirvana or any other Seattle band sold more than GnR, I never said that their tours were bigger, etc.  My point was and still is that 1992-93 was the beginning of the end for GnR and the start of a new music scene, Alt-Rock, Grunge, whatever you want to call it.  The influence of these bands (Nirvana, AIC, PJ, NIN) can still be heard today in countless numbers of bands.  They changed music!  How many bands today have a GnR or 80s metal sound?  One or two??  Even in them, the Brides of Destruction, The Darkness, you can still here how Cobain and others influenced their sound.  I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just sayin'....
i dson't aqgryy with you again.well,as i said grunge music have had media popularity,and we have many bands know which cdopied gnr,but these bands are underground
Hung Well
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 10:00:10 PM »

But dude tell me this. From September of 1991 to July of 1993 GN'R sold 32 million copies of the Illusion albums worldwide while Nirvana only sold 8 million copies worldwide of In Utero and Nevermind. They sold 24 million more copies than the biggest Grunge band ever in a period of one year and 10 months. What kind of slump is that? Dude back in the 1990s Guns N' Roses pulled out Michael Jackson type of album sales. That you can't forget.

Nobody is denying that GNR sold a lot of records in '92-93.  

However, by the end of 92, at least in America, GNR was clearly out of favor with the public, with Nirvana and Pearl Jam taking their slot.

This was never more apparant than at the '92 VMA's.  GNR sleepwalked through their performance of NR.  Nirvana performed Lithium in one of the most memorable VMA performances ever--topped off with Grohl mocking Axl  (ironically, its up there with GNR's '88 performance of WTTJ, which was  Shocked)

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: