Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Gibson or Epiphone?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gibson or Epiphone?  (Read 13920 times)
ratfinkle
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: April 25, 2004, 12:02:26 AM »

I'm just wondering if theres any difference between a Gibson Les Paul and an Epiphone Les Paul, they look the same but the Epiphone is alot cheaper. So is there any difference in sound or anything?
slashglp
Opening Act

breasthead

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 07:22:11 AM »

the epiphone is a cheap copy of the gibson although some can come close in terms of quality but not all. the gibson will be made of better wood, have better pickups and will probably age better with time.

if you can afford it get the gibson.

im being thrown out of my house....
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 04:53:51 PM »

Epiphone is obiously a cheap copy of Gibson.If They were better than Gibsons they would cost about 4.000 dollars.

the gibson will be made of better wood, have better pickups and will probably age better with time

Exaclty, Gibsons are also better built.
Go for the GIBSON(if you have the money)

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Chunkie
Headliner

Here Today... DEAD Tomorow

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 01:13:13 PM »

That's right buy the gibson but if u want to afford other guitars and not just one but the epiphone but as told the gibsons are made better and of better material

God damn Slash The Man
Jesse James
Rocker

tss tss tss tss gnnnnnn!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 06:51:58 AM »

Well if I were you I'd do the following.
Get an Epiphone of good quality(talkin 'bout woods here)-(with a 3A or 4A flametop drool)
give the same amount of money you gave for the Epi and change the bridge and the keys with Schaller ones (or sth of equal or better quality) change the pickups with Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio of your choice, change the plastic nut with a one made of bone.
If you make those changes -and maybe even more- to the Epi you 'll have a guitar thats a lot cheaper than a Gibson and eventhough plays like one...!!! smoking smoking smoking

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 04:02:44 PM »

ehhh... the difference is the PRICE lol

in a gibson you're paying great mics, one piece body in better woods and finishes... expensive materials and if you keep your gibson in good conditions it gets more expensive with the time, and also sounds better.

epiphone is just a copy

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 08:12:32 PM »

Well if I were you I'd do the following.
Get an Epiphone of good quality(talkin 'bout woods here)-(with a 3A or 4A flametop drool)
give the same amount of money you gave for the Epi and change the bridge and the keys with Schaller ones (or sth of equal or better quality) change the pickups with Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio of your choice, change the plastic nut with a one made of bone.
If you make those changes -and maybe even more- to the Epi you 'll have a guitar thats a lot cheaper than a Gibson and eventhough plays like one...!!! smoking smoking smoking

Well...if you actually want to make it better, don't get a flame top on an epi unless you're 100% sure that it's actually a maple cap of considerable thickness, not just a veneer (which almost all epi's are).

If you're dead set on an epi, go into every guitar store you can find and play them all unplugged and see which one sounds best.  Buy it.  Take it to a decent tech, strip the Polyurethene lacquer about 5mm thick and oil the body.  Replace the bridge, the pots, the pickup switch, the jack socket, get a graph-tech nut and some grovers or high ratio schallers...then you'll have a decent guitar.  Oh and get sopme new pickups.
By the time you've done this it'll probably have cost the same as a new Gibson though, and you'll still have a gay looking headstock.

Alternatively, buy a Dean.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
mookie
Opening Act

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »

A top of the line Epiphone (maybe not a les paul) is as good as a base model Gibson.  Gibson has been overpricing their product for decades now.   
Mrbreeze
Opening Act

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »

If you can afford a lower cost Gibson go for it. But you would not go wrong with a higher-end Epiphone and mod the guitar to your liking.

When I first got my Squire Strat as a starter guitar it was a basic beginner thing. But over the past couple of years, I modded it replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans and recently removed the bridge tone knob and it sounds just like a real Fender. I have a lower-end Gibson that I got for 300 below sticker and I love it. It's a 2017 gold top. Has Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone but now I am gonna put Duncans in it.

If you can't afford a Gibson get an Epiphone and mod it to your liking and it will be as good as or better then real deal ok   beer
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: