Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  50 Bands that changed the world
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50 Bands that changed the world  (Read 9155 times)
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« on: April 29, 2004, 05:01:03 PM »

I was looking in Q Magazine here in the UK and it said 50 Bands that changed the world as soon as I saw that I knew GN'R would be in it and yes GN'R Come 12th so thats pretty cool they beat bands like Queen so GN'R still got it I didn't check the rest as I was just reading in a shop quickly  ok Just thought I would share that with you.

EEEERRRR Little boy
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 05:05:26 PM »

Cheers mate, any money says Nirvana won or were at least in the top 5......motherfuckers rant
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 05:29:06 PM »

fuck that list! it had the strokes on 20- place!! what the hell did The Strokes ever do beside playing boring old fashion straight forward boring rock?

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 02:45:59 AM »

GNR should be number 1 or at least number 3 behind the beatles and Zeppelin, that i could accept but GNR should be up higher than 12.  rant

peace peace

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 05:04:02 AM »

Could ya give the full list by any chance mate?

I hope Nirvana werent high on the list though they prolly were Angry

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 07:12:20 AM »

To me 12th is a great position...but, GNR would just be behind o' bands like Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Ramones and MAYBE Kiss...

PS.: I'm not sayin' that I like these bands more then I like GNR, but, we have to agree, these bands was so mutch important to rock n' roll then gnr was...even you like 'em or not...

Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 11:46:11 AM »

I dont have the full list but its in Q Magazine in the UK

EEEERRRR Little boy
W.Bailey
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 12:50:06 PM »

GNR should never come behind anybody except for Zep
minto
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 01:32:14 PM »

Sex Pistols were no.1, Beatles were no.2, and I THINK Nirvana were at no.3
POPmetal
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 01:44:07 PM »

These lists are irrelevant because bands no longer change music. Ever since the advent of the 90s, the industry has been running things as it wants. What becomes popular is a function of whether record companies, MTV, and music critics like the politics of a given band. Music has taken a back seat. It's not a big deal if they have no talent, because as long as the industry likes them, they will make up some excuse, like "they're just keeping it real" or "it's not just music, it's an attitude" and stupid morons are gonna buy it anyway.

In a 1991 interview with WNEW 102.7, GN'R were asked about their feelings on the music industry and this is what Matt Sorum had to say:

"You know? You know? You know, I saw something. I think it was with Jimmy Page or something. And in the old? like, in the sixties and the seventies when the bands first like? rock bands first came out. There was old, really old guys running record companies that didn't know anything about rock n' roll. So they would say: "We'll give this band a go, but we don't know anything about rock n' roll." So they let these rock n' roll bands record albums. But they had no idea? about rock n' roll. So they let rock n' roll bands make records. And now we got these young guys. They're all like: "Ok, we have to do this because of this and this and this and this and this and this." You know, before, they knew nothing about it. Now they know everything about it. Which is the problem"

So the damn list shouldn't be just about bands, it should also include companies and the top entires should include MTV, Geffen(especially the DGC subsidiary in the early 90s before geffen became a part of Interscope), Columbia, Warner, Rolling Stone(the magazine),  Interscope, The Beatles, EMI, Vivendi Universal, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin.
POPmetal
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 01:53:20 PM »

rofl I can tell how unbiased that list is right there. The Sex Pistols ahead of the Beatles?!?!? That's simply preposterous. I like the Pistols, but they were nowhere near as world changing as the Beatles. Nirvana should be second behind the Beatles, but I think their influence was in the negative direction, and it would be more accurate to say a combination of Nirvana, MTV, and DGC(David Geffen Company) changed the world.
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 03:38:52 PM »

rofl I can tell how unbiased that list is right there. The Sex Pistols ahead of the Beatles?!?!? That's simply preposterous. I like the Pistols, but they were nowhere near as world changing as the Beatles. Nirvana should be second behind the Beatles, but I think their influence was in the negative direction, and it would be more accurate to say a combination of Nirvana, MTV, and DGC(David Geffen Company) changed the world.

SEX PISTOLS ROCK!
They created punk! Which is amazing!!!!!  beer
I'm a huge punk fan!
Ok so I don't dress like a 70's punk but it don't mean i don't like it! Sex Pistols showed the world punk, and then loads of punk dudies were born like....... THE RAMONES, JOHNNY T, DAMNED, STIFF LITTLE FINGERS, BUZZCOCKS, RUTS, CLASH etc.
They deserve number 1 spot!
Beatles vs. Sex Pistols= SP because they are more my thing!
Probably cos I'm British! But Sex Pitsols rocked, they were hilarious, down-to-earth, kicked serious arse! {GNR even said no great bands were out since Sex Pistols} Good guitar solo's from Steve, Jonny was mint, Paul was one of the coolest punk drummers!  Tongue
And...
Sid was the man!  yes

My top 5 would include GNR definately, because they they were the bomb!
I mean you guys know how GREAT they were... words can't simply describe!
GNR for me number 1, followed by SP, Ramonesssssssssssa {i'm a Ramones freak btw!} erm...... dunno can't think!

What about Motley Crue n' Aerosmith you guys?

OMG....... David Bowie ROCKED!!!  beer He will on that chart for sure... i mean EVERYONE idolised David Bowie! {even Sid!}

Nirvana deserve a top 10 spot, cos they did grunge n that, However they are over-rated cos all these moshers/goths these days, think they know Kurt when really no-one knew the real Kurt!
NO-ONE should be higher than GNR!  beer

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 03:47:10 PM »

Sex Pistols No.1...sigh

For sheer influence the list has to go something like

Elvis
Beatles
Stones
Sabbath

they shaped modern music - i don't think Sex Pistols did and as for Nirvana u'd think they'd altered the fabric of space/time itself - for all the ''effect'' they had they had only sold 3 million copies of Nevermind in 1991.......

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 03:55:14 PM »

SEX PISTOLS ROCK!
They created punk! Which is amazing!!!!!  beer
I'm a huge punk fan!
Ok so I don't dress like a 70's punk but it don't mean i don't like it! Sex Pistols showed the world punk, and then loads of punk dudies were born like....... THE RAMONES, JOHNNY T, DAMNED, STIFF LITTLE FINGERS, BUZZCOCKS, RUTS, CLASH etc.
They deserve number 1 spot!
Beatles vs. Sex Pistols= SP because they are more my thing!
Probably cos I'm British! But Sex Pitsols rocked, they were hilarious, down-to-earth, kicked serious arse! {GNR even said no great bands were out since Sex Pistols} Good guitar solo's from Steve, Jonny was mint, Paul was one of the coolest punk drummers!  Tongue
And...
Sid was the man!  yes

My top 5 would include GNR definately, because they they were the bomb!
I mean you guys know how GREAT they were... words can't simply describe!
GNR for me number 1, followed by SP, Ramonesssssssssssa {i'm a Ramones freak btw!} erm...... dunno can't think!

What about Motley Crue n' Aerosmith you guys?

OMG....... David Bowie ROCKED!!!  beer He will on that chart for sure... i mean EVERYONE idolised David Bowie! {even Sid!}

Nirvana deserve a top 10 spot, cos they did grunge n that, However they are over-rated cos all these moshers/goths these days, think they know Kurt when really no-one knew the real Kurt!
NO-ONE should be higher than GNR!  beer

Sex Pistols created PUNK?!? I must have lose something...

SP created the PUNK style, like dress and stuff, BUT PUNK MUSIC was created by THE RAMONES!

Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 04:12:52 PM »

SP created the PUNK style, like dress and stuff, BUT PUNK MUSIC was created by THE RAMONES!

Yeah they created the style!
Don't make fun.. i ain't good with words!  Tongue

No, you know Sex Pistols were more hardcore than the Ramones though! You can't disagree with that!

I mean Ramones wore leather n' stuff, but Sex Pistols were practically famed for taking the "throne of Punk"!
I mean the SP had everything Punk bands could possibly have really... if ya think bout it! like image wise; i mean they swore, and had the couldn't care less attitude!
But i mean being around for around 1 year {as John Lydon said} they certainly made a huge name of themselves!
They took punk to another level really!
Sowwy if i go on! i'm just the gayest at words!  Roll Eyes

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
POPmetal
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 06:06:14 PM »

SEX PISTOLS ROCK!

I agree ok I wasn't slamming the Pistols, I just think that no one comes even close to the Beatles in a list of "bands that changed the world."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 06:15:32 PM by POPmetal » Logged
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 07:28:50 PM »

Yeah they created the style!
Don't make fun.. i ain't good with words!  Tongue

No, you know Sex Pistols were more hardcore than the Ramones though! You can't disagree with that!

I mean Ramones wore leather n' stuff, but Sex Pistols were practically famed for taking the "throne of Punk"!
I mean the SP had everything Punk bands could possibly have really... if ya think bout it! like image wise; i mean they swore, and had the couldn't care less attitude!
But i mean being around for around 1 year {as John Lydon said} they certainly made a huge name of themselves!
They took punk to another level really!
Sowwy if i go on! i'm just the gayest at words!  Roll Eyes

Allright, but talkin' about PUNK ROCK, the music. Ramones created. End of the history...Ramones was the greatest punk band on the world, and you can't deny it!

PS.: Just a little thing: Ramones' first album was release in 1974 (I think) and the SP's first album came out in 1977... ok

ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 11:58:50 PM »

Dame right Popmetal,
as much as i hate to admit it, i dont think rock/metal...etc will change music again, i hate todays scene because it's so full of shit.
The only thing (IMO) that can save it will be CHI-DEM!!

HENDRIX 1st and the last band was.....
(im sorry...but) KORN, they changed everything. Dont get me wrong, i hate them but after they exploded into the scene, every fuckin' band tuned there guitars down  as low as they can, this is the end result!!

The music scene and the rock star is....lost! Undecided

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
SunKing278
Headliner

The loveliest girls are always in your GN'R

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 06:58:23 AM »

These lists always end up making me so angry.  The fucking Sex Pistols, who couldn't even play their instruments and released one lousy record, are the most important rock n'roll band of all time according to some British rag.  Some arrogant limey at Q Magazine obviously has his head up his ass for thinking this up.  Granted, the Pistols - and punk rock in general - have always been a much bigger deal over there than here in the States, but the Beatles are also British and they only got ranked number two?  I'm sorry, but that's an easy number one on any list.  They really did change the world.  I don't know if solo artists were considered, but JIMI HENDRIX changed the world.  Actually, he did have a band, the Experience, so why aren't they number two or three?  Nearly 40 years later, and nobody has ever come close to matching him.  Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, Queen, the Who, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath, ALL British bands, are the most important and influential rock groups ever.  Their music achieved worldwide popularity; nobody outside of England really gave a rat's ass about the Pistols.

Nirvana, in typical rock critic fashion, gets ranked number three.  I suppose they could be in the bottom half of the top ten, but I don't think their music will ever be as loved as Zeppelin's, or as influential as Sabbath's.  Their back catalogue will never sell as much as Zeppelin's or Floyd's has.  Kurt Cobain shot himself (or was murdered) only two years after they hit big.  Queen was the world's biggest rock n'roll band for fifteen years!  Worldwide, more people know the name of Freddie Mercury than do they Cobain or Johnny Rotten.  Hendrix may have only been on this earth a short time, but his impact was 100 times greater than Nirvana's.  After Hendrix, we had the most creative and important period in music history.  After Cobain, we got a bunch of generic grunge rip-offs and "nu metal."  You tell me who was more important.  

The Stones have been around for 40 years and are still sell out football stadiums! Over 30 years after they broke up the Beatles are still the world's most popular and loved group.  They continue to sell more records than literally everybody else.  How in God's name does a band whose one claim to fame was insulting the Queen of England compare?  Oh, sorry, I forgot about the bass player killing his girlfriend, there's a claim to fame.  I guess that's what makes them so cool, so "rock n'roll," in the eyes of Q Magazine.  The Pistols had a reunion tour and nobody cared, but somehow they changed the world more than any other rock artist in history?  Has anyone ever heard a Pistols song on the radio?  Nearly 30 years later, and I don't think "Nevermind the Bollocks" has sold more than 500,000 copies in America.  I know that I can turn on the radio anytime of day or night and hear something from Zeppelin.  Come to think of it, I could probably name at least 50 bands that are greater in every sense than the Sex Pistols ever were.

Maybe this whole thing is just a bad joke designed to get the magazine some cheap publicity.  That's all these lists usually are anyway, just as Blender's "worst songs of all-time" thing is a mere ploy to get someone to actually buy their lousy rag.  "Abbey Road," "Dark Side of the Moon," "Physical Graffiti," "A Night at the Opera," and "Paranoid" continue to inspire artists and shape the face of modern music years after they were made.  Meanwhile, punk rock - which, by the way, was done far better by the Ramones, the Clash, Black Flag, and the Damned, among others - has morphed into teeny-bopper, mall-rat music, surely a sign of its impending death.  Look at the likes of Good Charlotte and that Avril girl.  That is what is considered "punk" these days.  The best elements of punk did, in fact, influence a whole generation of heavy metal and alternative rock artists, but let's not overstate its importance here.  Guns N' Roses obviously loved the Sex Pistols, but their music was light years beyond anything Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious were capable of creating.  Black Sabbath created entire genres of rock with their music - almost forms of metal (other than hair metal, Zeppelin was the predominant influence there), and probably grunge, as well.  The Pistols can't even say they were the most influential group in their own sub-genre.  The Ramones had a far greater and everlasting effect.  Hell, I haven't even mentioned earlier artists like Elvis Presley (now he changed the world).

I just wonder what the likes of Jimmy Page, Brian May, Dave Gilmour, and Pete Townshend must think when they see this?  Do they get insulted - rightfully so - or just laugh, knowing their place in rock n'roll history is secure?  Sorry, but I don't need some rotten (pardon the pun) British magazine to insult me, and just about everyone else who loves music, like this.

Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2004, 02:27:14 PM »

Allright, but talkin' about PUNK ROCK, the music. Ramones created. End of the history...Ramones was the greatest punk band on the world, and you can't deny it!

PS.: Just a little thing: Ramones' first album was release in 1974 (I think) and the SP's first album came out in 1977... ok

Ok Ok Ok! I get ya!!!  Tongue

The Ramones rock there one of me fave bands!!!!!
I have a huge Joey poster thats got a pic of him in CBGB's in 1992, and it says "Joey Ramone 1951-2001"  crying
I love him! He's my fave Ramone!  crying

{See for us Brits Sex Pistols were like a huge turning point because like they are known as a huge punk band to us! It shocked Britain!
Ramones were more famous in the USA cos they were New York punk rockers obviously but the whole world no's them!!}

OMG SCOM IS ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: