Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Song Writers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Song Writers  (Read 3154 times)
GitFuckedUp
Humble as a mumble in the jungle of shouts and screams
Rocker

Downpresser man, where you gonna run to?

« on: May 02, 2004, 04:45:06 AM »

Greatest Hits says:

Civil War (McKagan/Rose/Slash/Stradlin)
You Could Be Mine (McKagan/Rose/Slash/Stradlin)
Don't Cry (McKagan/Rose/Slash/Stradlin)
November Rain (McKagan/Rose/Slash/Stradlin)
Yesterdays (Arkeen/James/McCloud/McKagan/Rose/Slash/Stradlin)

The Illusions Albums say:

Civil War (Slash / Duff McKagan / W. Axl Rose)
You Could Be Mine (Izzy Stradlin' / W. Axl Rose)
Don't Cry (Izzy Stradlin' / W. Axl Rose)
November Rain (Rose)
Yesterdays (West Arkeen / Del James / Billy McCloud / W. Axl Rose)

What's with the discrepancies, and who really wrote the songs?

-Catch you on the flip-floP-
slashnbuckethead
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 05:37:00 AM »

it looks like they just gave credit to all the gnr members for all the songs and then added anyone else involved.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 07:32:47 AM »

I would go with the notes in the UYI booklets, the band put them together - that GH is crazy enough as it is.......

Quick! To the bandwagon!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 07:36:08 AM »

I think cos it's the greatest hits they wanted to recognise the whole band as putting input into all their songs

But the Illusions are prolly right

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 07:49:49 AM »

i don't understand this,because every song was written by singer,bas  player,guitar players and drumer.
axl wrote lyrics and piano on november rain,but slash do guitar solo.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 07:59:15 AM »

i don't understand this,because every song was written by singer,bas  player,guitar players and drumer.
axl wrote lyrics and piano on november rain,but slash do guitar solo.

There referring to the lyrics

As for who wrote what on which songs - there are people on this board who would tell u Axl did the drum parts..... confused

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 09:07:51 AM »

My guess is that on the Greatest Hits they credited the people who get money from Guns N' Roses Music (their publishing company), while the UYI credits actually say who wrote most of the songs.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
alwaysoutparading
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 12:05:09 PM »

Axl's bible back in the day (The Platinum Rainbow i think) said that you can only copyright melody and lyrics so whenever a band he was in would write a song, no matter who wrote the guitar riffs, if he wrote the melody and lyrics, he would want credit for it. he would say "well i wrote the melody and lyrics, so its my song" and I think the Illusions credit who wrote that, but of course Slash was writing his own guitar parts, Duff his own bass lines, etc..

so on the GH, they gave them all credit.

*that bit about the platinum rainbow is from Over The Top by Mark Putterford. good book...
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »

For me it was a sign that something is wrong in the band that they credited the UYI songs the way they did, however it's obvious that Slash had a really big part in NR, Estranged, The Garden, Breakdown, You Could Be Mine, and maybe even in Double Talkin' Jive (I just cannot imagine Izzy writing the guitar solo) and Pretty Tied Up. As I think, Duff was also 'undercredited'.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 03:11:36 PM »

As for who wrote what on which songs - there are people on this board who would tell u Axl did the drum parts..... confused

What the fuck are you saying? Axl didn't play drums? Yeah, right like anyones gonna believe that bullshit! Adler was fucked up so Axl layed down most of the drums for AFD. As for UYI, Sorum couldn't produce sound by farting on a snare drum so it's a good job Axl was there to clean up.

Oh, and those live drum solos..... that was Sorum sitting there with Axl behind him poking his arms from under his armpits and doing the drumming!  rant Tongue rofl

Anyway, it's clear that UYI booklets are correct as the band put them together. GH is a joke in so many ways.

@#$%Muther
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 04:56:37 PM »

This is one of the reasons why I don't listend to GN'R Greatest Hits, It's fucking bullshit, November Rain was and always will be Axl Rose's song. Wink

IMO Use Your Illusion I and II credits are accurate. GH was ceated by some jack ass millionaire behind a desk that compiled this piece of crap. rant

Don't get me wrong, this peice of crap was branded with the GN'R logo and still sold pretty well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 04:57:21 PM by volcano62 » Logged

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 08:50:35 PM »

I would assume the Illusion credits are correct, and the new credits have more to do with royalties, like jarmo said.

Of course, each member wrote their own bass line, or drum line, or whatever, but coming up with a part that fits into a song isn't the same thing as actually writing a song.

Axl, or Izzy, or anybody can sit down with a single guitar, strum some chords and just hum a melody and that's it, a song is written.  Later on the drum parts get added and the bass line is written and the singer comes up with lyrics and so forth.  The person who sat down with the guitar and came up with the melody at the beginning is the primary songwriter, though, and usually the person who would be credited for writing the song.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Dizzy
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 10:29:11 PM »

I'm with everybody here, the UYI credits are the accurate ones.  Every band member on the "Making of Don't Cry" video stated that Axl and Izzy wrote the song.  During the "Who wrote 'Don't Cry'?  I did!" comedy bit, Duff came out and said "I didn't!"
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »

Without Slash's solos, NR and Estranged would be no more than a boring song. Slash made them classic. Same for The Garden.  yes

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: