Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:48:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Li'l Gn'R article
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Li'l Gn'R article  (Read 2725 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: May 02, 2004, 11:11:27 AM »

KIDS ROCK!

By ROBERT RATISH

Knight Ridder Newspapers

It's Sunday night in New York's East Village and 9-year-old Alexa Palminteri of Ramsey, N.J., rocks.

Alexa is Li'l Axl, the lead singer in Li'l Gn'R, an all-kids Guns N' Roses tribute ''band'' that sings over recorded favorites like ''November Rain'' and ''Patience.'' Ranging in age from 6 to 11, the group's members -- all from New Jersey -- were not even born when their namesakes began playing the Sunset Strip in the 1980s.

And although they are a G-rated version of the original -- their set list excludes songs with objectionable lyrics -- Li'l Gn'R knows how to put on a show.

Li'l Gn'R combines humor with a serious rock ethos. Its logo, an image of two toy guns shooting bubbles over a couple of roses, appears on their tour T-shirts, along with the motto ''Appetite for Instruction,'' a play on big Gn'R's most popular album, ''Appetite for Destruction.''

But ask someone from a Li'l Gn'R audience what they think of the group and you hear adjectives normally not heard at a rock concert.

''It's very cute,'' said Kate Westfall of Gainesville, Ga. ''I'm very excited to see Li'l Slash. He's precious.''

At the most recent show, the group took over the club Cinema Classics on East 11th Street. Before the performance, 6-year-old Joshua James of Jersey City, aka Li'l Slash, released a burst of energy, running throughout the club, jumping and letting out an occasional scream. His thick, dark, curly hair was a perfect match for the real Slash's trademark 'do.

Joshua even wears a hat like the real Slash, although he compares the look to another celebrity. ''I wear a big top hat like the Cat in the Hat,'' he said. Others in the group said Li'l Slash is their free spirit.

''Nothing can stop him from being a wild man,'' observed 11-year-old Dylan Gordon of Randolph, Li'l Steven Adler in the group.

''He's 6 years old so he can't hurt anybody,'' added Dylan's twin sister, Arielle, who plays Li'l Izzy Stradlin.

The group was founded in October by Mark Malkoff, a comedian whose homemade films are part of his show. Past films featured him trying to find a prom date in Times Square or get a Broadway celebrity to ride a Ferris wheel with him. His latest idea was to film his efforts to put together and manage an all-kids Guns N' Roses tribute band. ''I love kids and I love Guns N' Roses,'' Malkoff said.

About a hundred kids responded to an open casting call. ''A lot of kids came in with knowledge of the band, but we were just looking for kids who wanted to have fun,'' Malkoff said.

It was later that Malkoff got the idea to put the kids on stage.

So he tried to book a gig at CBGB, the legendary rock club in the East Village that launched the careers of such groups as The Ramones. ''No one ever thought they would book us,'' he said. But in January they did, and the group suddenly switched gears, learning their lyrics and becoming a live act.

Since then the group has received offers to play other venues. This summer they're booked at B.B. King Blues Club, a midtown spot that draws big acts.

The group doesn't plan to stop there. Arielle said she would like to play Madison Square Garden or Continental Arena someday. Until then, group members said they're content to play smaller venues where they can interact with the audience, which usually represents a mix of the parents who listened to Gn'R and their kids.

''The good thing is that kids can come to the show,'' said Alexa, a fourth-grader at Ramsey's Mary A. Hubbard School whose musical taste ranges from Guns N' Roses to the rap artist Ludacris. ''This little girl came up on stage while we were playing so I started dancing with her.''

Alexa's mother, Julie, said she and her husband initially had some doubts. ''We were a little leery considering Guns N' Roses' reputation,'' she said. ''Axl Rose is not exactly what you want your child to aspire to.'' But she said Malkoff has kept the show family-friendly, and the kids enjoy the chance to play rock stars.

As Alexa sings, Li'l Izzy Stradlin sings backup and 6-year-old Li'l Slash jams on the guitar, occasionally stopping to fix his top hat and shades. Li'l Duff McKagan strums along and Li'l Steven Adler pounds on the drums -- which, unlike the guitar playing, is real.

Seeing the audience react is a thrill for the band members. ''They yell and scream. They yell, 'Go Li'l Gn'R!''' Dylan said. ''I'm probably going to start my own band or stay with this one. I'm getting drum lessons.''

Known as much for their bad behavior as their music, the real Guns N' Roses still enjoys a great deal of popularity. Geffen Records recently released the band's first best-of anthology, and its classic albums remain big sellers. The Internet is awash in fan sites and although the group broke up in the early 1990s, tribute bands perform their songs all over the world.

Before their first performance, the kids got a crash course in being Guns N' Roses. ''We watched clips that showed us a brief glimpse of what their concerts were like,'' Dylan said. ''They're a great band. They rock the stage. It's amazing how they pump it up.''

The show features a film ''documenting'' the auditions for the band and Malkoff's efforts to teach them to act like a true rock group. In one scene he encourages them to trash a hotel room while downing bottles of chocolate syrup.

''And who cleaned everything up?'' Malkoff asked them.

''Mark did,'' Arielle said.

''For four hours,'' Malkoff emphasized.

As part of the act he plays the greedy band manager who reminds the group that this is all about making money. But in reality, Malkoff has developed a friendship with the kids. As Li'l Slash got ready to leave after the show, he threw his arms around him to give him a big hug.

''The kids have a good time. If they didn't, we'd stop doing this,'' Malkoff said. ''My philosophy is don't talk down to them. Make them feel included. I just wanted them to feel like this is their band.''

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/entertainment/8572845.htm

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 11:15:31 AM »

'although the group broke up in the early 1990s'

I wish people would get their damn facts straight rant .  How could a group who split up in the early 1990s of played the 2002 MTV VMA's
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 11:54:25 AM »

I wanna see lil Gnr 1 day

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »

http://www.lilgnr.com

They are cute!

I wounder what Axl Rose thinks of them, or if he even knows about them?

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 03:34:29 PM »

I think Lil'Gnr is as close as must of us are ever going to get to seeing a GNR concert nervous

I wonder what Axl thinks? Oh wait i know - the lawyers are already rolling.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 04:15:59 PM »

KIDS ROCK!

At the most recent show, the group took over the club Cinema Classics on East 11th Street. Before the performance, 6-year-old Joshua James of Jersey City, aka Li'l Slash, released a burst of energy, running throughout the club, jumping and letting out an occasional scream. His thick, dark, curly hair was a perfect match for the real Slash's trademark 'do.

Joshua even wears a hat like the real Slash, although he compares the look to another celebrity. ''I wear a big top hat like the Cat in the Hat,'' he said. Others in the group said Li'l Slash is their free spirit.

hihi Awwwwwww bless! Awwww!

''Nothing can stop him from being a wild man,'' observed 11-year-old Dylan Gordon of Randolph, Li'l Steven Adler in the group.

Well observed!

As Alexa sings, Li'l Izzy Stradlin sings backup and 6-year-old Li'l Slash jams on the guitar, occasionally stopping to fix his top hat and shades. Li'l Duff McKagan strums along and Li'l Steven Adler pounds on the drums -- which, unlike the guitar playing, is real.

How coooooool!

The show features a film ''documenting'' the auditions for the band and Malkoff's efforts to teach them to act like a true rock group. In one scene he encourages them to trash a hotel room while downing bottles of chocolate syrup.

rofl Funniest thing today!

''And who cleaned everything up?'' Malkoff asked them.
''Mark did,'' Arielle said.
''For four hours,'' Malkoff emphasized.

yes Go Li'l GNR!

As part of the act he plays the greedy band manager who reminds the group that this is all about making money. But in reality, Malkoff has developed a friendship with the kids. As Li'l Slash got ready to leave after the show, he threw his arms around him to give him a big hug.

Li'l Slash Rules!!!!!

Mint article!  hihi
I hope Li'l GNR come to the UK!  Grin
It'll be funny!
It'll be good to see the "real GNR's" thoughts!  ok

SCOM on tv!!!!  yes  yes  yes Best bloody song ever!
" where do we go?"

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
Christine
Opening Act

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 01:03:41 PM »

priceless, I am sure Axl would totally think they are cute.

HMMMMM
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 01:38:14 PM »

I don't think that this thread should be in this section.  Why should we care about a bunch of little brats that are being exploited by their parents for the almighty dollar?  Couldn'y pay me enough to care about this shite!
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 02:58:25 PM »

I don't think that this thread should be in this section.  Why should we care about a bunch of little brats that are being exploited by their parents for the almighty dollar?  Couldn'y pay me enough to care about this shite!

rofl porbably- but Li'l Slash is cute you gotta admit!  hihi
Btw one thing is wrong with ya post- Jarmo put it in this section, so it ain't in the wrong section!  ok

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: