Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 08:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash & Duff to sue Axl! part 2 (New info in Slash/Duff lawsuit)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash & Duff to sue Axl! part 2 (New info in Slash/Duff lawsuit)  (Read 65932 times)
kockstar99
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2004, 02:05:34 AM »

A re recorded WTTJ would have FUCKING ROCKED!!!

WTTF from the 2002 boots sounds better than the 1987 AFD recording... its too bad i have to imagine what a re recorded Studio version would sound like..
darkmonth
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2004, 07:58:28 AM »

now you are talking shit... sort it out
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2004, 08:21:46 AM »

Instead of having your band cover other people's work, release new material. I love New GNR and think they play other people's work reasonably close to accurate, but you do not release covers of timeless legends like Jungle. That and I would not want to hear Axl ruin the song with his higher pitched voice, he can still howl a bit as we heard at spots, but he just does not have the agressiveness and snarl in his voive to have done an 87 version of Jungle justice. Let's stop focusing on trying to cover old songs and give us new ones. I can't believe there are people supportive of this.
madagas
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2004, 08:41:32 AM »

You know who Axl sounds like now......Geddy Lee from Rush! "And the men who hold high places, must be the ones who start, to mold a new reality, closer to the heart!"
kockstar99
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2004, 11:03:53 AM »

. I can't believe there are people supportive of this.
I cant belive people are not...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2004, 11:08:33 AM »

Why?

Because I would rather hear some new material. If I wanted to hear a GNR cover band cover Jungle I could go down to the local bar. There is no need for the band to do a cover version of Jungle. Because that is essentially what it would be. Release new stuff and make an identity for themselves, not have there guitarists get up there and mindlessly play Slash's rifts instead of their own. There is no need to cover songs GNR has already released, release something of your own before you worry about cover albums or songs.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2004, 12:09:58 PM »

While I don?t mind WTTJ by New GNR, I totally agree with Naupis on this.  yes
And imagine how boring it must be for creative musicians to redo others work on and on and on?. no
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2004, 12:24:43 PM »

So someone rejects the principle of "whoring" out the music when they assume its Slash and Duff behind it, but when they realize Axl has been "whoring" the music out, the principle changes.

Well as usual, Axl does seem to have some selective standards for selling their music.  He does movies (some I had forgotten about!), but has never sold to advertising campaigns, which I'm sure there have been a few offers over the years.  Would Slash and Duff do that?  I don't know.  
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2004, 01:02:48 PM »

Why?

Because I would rather hear some new material. If I wanted to hear a GNR cover band cover Jungle I could go down to the local bar. There is no need for the band to do a cover version of Jungle. Because that is essentially what it would be. Release new stuff and make an identity for themselves, not have there guitarists get up there and mindlessly play Slash's rifts instead of their own. There is no need to cover songs GNR has already released, release something of your own before you worry about cover albums or songs.

I agree - and about the lawsuit, i think Slash and Duff should have input on what the old Gn'R songs are used for, fair enough the name and the new band are Axl's but the old songs are still Slash/Duff/Izyy/Axl/Steven and to some extent Matts.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 01:03:17 PM by Lineker10 » Logged

Riot In Everyone!
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2004, 01:26:43 PM »

I cant belive people are not...

Well, how would you feel if Velvet Revolver re-recorded WTTJ?  
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2004, 02:02:33 PM »

Excellent point Girl Gunner.....

It's ok though because it's Axl singing, even though the rest of his band can't play the song note for note. If VR did it, they would play the song note for note but the singing wouldn't be right. These are the problems you encounter with cover bands. Anyone playing the old GNR stuff, VR or GNR are covering material that is not theres. Doing it live for the fans is fine, but there should never be actual re-records designed to be released.
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2004, 03:41:36 PM »

Excellent point Girl Gunner.....

It's ok though because it's Axl singing, even though the rest of his band can't play the song note for note. If VR did it, they would play the song note for note but the singing wouldn't be right. These are the problems you encounter with cover bands. Anyone playing the old GNR stuff, VR or GNR are covering material that is not theres. Doing it live for the fans is fine, but there should never be actual re-records designed to be released.

You lot crack me the fuck up Roll Eyes

It is okay for Axl to do it because AXL ROSE OWNS THE GNR NAME!!!!!!!  So you say this has nothing to do with the GNR name.  The fuck it does not.  Those fucktards left Axl.  Slash and Duff have stated this many times.  So are you lot going to say that they retract that statement now?

IT HAS BEEN PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE THAT SLASH AND DUFF WALKED OUT ON AXL AND GNR.  I DO NOT CARE WHAT SHODDY PIECE OF SHIT LAWSUIT/PAPERS THAT SLASH AND DUFF HAVE CONJURED UP.  IT WILL NOT HOLD UP IN COURT, IT WILL NOT HOLD UP WITH THE FANS.  EVEN SLASH AND DUFF FANS THINK THIS IS STUPID BECAUSE THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING 9 FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Whoever thinks the new band can not do justice to the old material needs to put down the crack pipe.  

Like Mysteron said.  It is a cheap shot on behalf of Duff and Slash.  And that Slash and Duff fans is all that sticks out at the moment.   peace
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 03:44:15 PM by TIPSY » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2004, 03:54:33 PM »

Well of course it is retarded that it took them 9 years to figure this out. Time does not change the potential facts though. If a court rules though they they are the original GNR partnership, and they get to make all old GNR decisions, the time it took them to realize they had that right does not change the fact that is their right. In fact, I don't think this lawsuit would be happening had their lawyers not found something like this while looking through their contracts trying to figure out how to stop the greatest hits. We don't know how this is going to pan out but some of the Axl zealots like Tipsy need to brace themselves that there is at least the possibility this may not turn out in Axl's favor. But that will be determined in time.

And the issue about covering Jungle is not an issue of doing justice. It is having a completely different band minus the singer play other musicians music note for note and pass it off as their own. He can call the band whatever he wants, but at the end of the day that is not Adler on drums, Izzy on rythm, Duff on bass or Slash on lead. Having the knew guys play music they did not right by definition is covering a song, regardless of what you call the band doing it.

I went to a concert and thought they play the stuff great, but leave it there. Don't re-record music already released by other musicians, copy there stuff, and attempt to call it their own. That is embarrassing and humiliating to the new band as musicians. They have their own material they have written and would prefer to be playing I am sure, not playing "Look at me, I can copy what other musicians wrote."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 03:58:03 PM by Naupis » Logged
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2004, 04:04:34 PM »

Well of course it is retarded that it took them 9 years to figure this out. Time does not change the potential facts though. If a court rules though they they are the original GNR partnership, and they get to make all old GNR decisions, the time it took them to realize they had that right does not change the fact that is their right. In fact, I don't think this lawsuit would be happening had their lawyers not found something like this while looking through their contracts trying to figure out how to stop the greatest hits. We don't know how this is going to pan out but some of the Axl zealots like Tipsy need to brace themselves that there is at least the possibility this may not turn out in Axl's favor. But that will be determined in time.

And the issue about covering Jungle is not an issue of doing justice. It is having a completely different band minus the singer play other musicians music note for note and pass it off as their own. He can call the band whatever he wants, but at the end of the day that is not Adler on drums, Izzy on rythm, Duff on bass or Slash on lead. Having the knew guys play music they did not right by definition is covering a song, regardless of what you call the band doing it.

I went to a concert and thought they play the stuff great, but leave it there. Don't re-record music already released by other musicians, copy there stuff, and attempt to call it their own. That is embarrassing and humiliating to the new band as musicians. They have their own material they have written and would prefer to be playing I am sure, not playing "Look at me, I can copy what other musicians wrote."

Okay, VR zealot Naupis.

I guess then it is okay for Scott Weiland to do a rendition of "It's so Easy" and try and sound just like Axl then Roll Eyes  And do not give me this "well, slash and duff are 2/5 GNR so yeah" bullshit.

I got news for you Mr. future law school graduate----THIS CASE WILL GET THROWN OUT DUE TO THE LENGTH OF TIME IT HAS TAKEN DUFF AND SLASH TO FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT.

Furthermore, if you honestly believe that Axl has not had every lawyer rewrite his interests in GNR once Slash and Duff quit on him, then you are stupid as a brick. peace

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2004, 04:18:46 PM »

I am sure Axl's got the best lawyer's in the world. But I am also sure that S/D would not have just filed suit for the hell of it if someone hadn't see something that made them think there was a reason to do so. No one knows both sides so we can't speculate. But to assume just because its Axl there is no way this case can have any merit is a little presumtuous.

Also, the case WILL NOT be thrown out just because of the length of time. There is no statute of limitations in regards to contracts like this. It may affect their ability to collect punitive damages from the period of 95-04 that they waited so long if indeed they did have control the whole time, but if the contracts are written in a way that gives them control as the sole remaining partners of the original GNR partnership, they will from here on out be in control. They don't tear up the contracts mearly because a certain amount of years have passed. So if Axl's letter of resignation from the partnership does in the end screw him(merely a hypothetical at this point) the fact 9 years have passed isn't going to make a bit of difference.

And I have no problem with VR covering ISO at their shows because they aren't professionally recording it in a studio with intent to release it and pawn themselves off as the original creators. I told you, I went to a New GNR concert and loved it. I love hearing the old stuff, as long as they are not re-recording it in a studio with intent to distribute as if they wrote it themselves. You yourself even has to see the distinction between playing something live for the fans and actually going through the effort to re-record it in a studio and pass it off as something its not.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2004, 04:25:58 PM »

And I will tell you what I am a zealot about.....its NOT VR......BUT NEW MUSIC!!!!! beer I am beyond excited about VR because it is something new to listen to by good musicians and not the same GNR cd's that have been spinning in my CD player for 12 years now without changing. I would be as if not more excited for a NEW GNR release than I am VR if they would actually give me some new music to get excited about. This whole "It's impossible to like VR if you love Axl" thing is ridiculous because I love BOTH. I could care less about these lawsuits because they don't effect us, interesting yes, but its just business. I wish right now we had albums coming out from BOTH BANDS, I see all the media hoopla around VR and can imagine how excited I would be if that was Axl popping up everywhere too. Its an exciting time to be a fan right now. If you are down on VR out of loyalty to Axl get over it, it is possible to LOVE BOTH. peace
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2004, 04:29:40 PM »

I am sure Axl's got the best lawyer's in the world. But I am also sure that S/D would not have just filed suit for the hell of it if someone hadn't see something that made them think there was a reason to do so. No one knows both sides so we can't speculate. But to assume just because its Axl there is no way this case can have any merit is a little presumtuous.

Also, the case WILL NOT be thrown out just because of the length of time. There is no statute of limitations in regards to contracts like this. It may affect their ability to collect punitive damages from the period of 95-04 that they waited so long if indeed they did have control the whole time, but if the contracts are written in a way that gives them control as the sole remaining partners of the original GNR partnership, they will from here on out be in control. They don't tear up the contracts mearly because a certain amount of years have passed. So if Axl's letter of resignation from the partnership does in the end screw him(merely a hypothetical at this point) the fact 9 years have passed isn't going to make a bit of difference.

And I have no problem with VR covering ISO at their shows because they aren't professionally recording it in a studio with intent to release it and pawn themselves off as the original creators. I told you, I went to a New GNR concert and loved it. I love hearing the old stuff, as long as they are not re-recording it in a studio with intent to distribute as if they wrote it themselves. You yourself even has to see the distinction between playing something live for the fans and actually going through the effort to re-record it in a studio and pass it off as something its not.

Um, Naupis--I guarantee you that when Axl was given the name rights to GNR that it protected ALL his interests with GNR and himself.  Do you honestly think that Axl has not already considered the fact that anyone from his past would try and pull this shit?

I can guarantee you Axl Rose will come out the winner here regardless of what your assumptions are.  peace
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2004, 04:36:39 PM »

We're just going to have to wait and see on the whole Lawsuit thing. I am sure Axl covered all of his bases, but I also know he's human....and sometimes People make mistakes or do things that have unintended consequences. I know his legal team is not infallible because Greatest Hits did come out, so maybe this will be another case of them not being able to change the wording of a contract.....you just never know.
kockstar99
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2004, 04:47:55 PM »

Who the fuck cares anymore.. The Re Recorded WTTJ didnt get released... stop fucking crying over it... I personally would have liked to have heard it... but im a selfish fucker who will gladly take any new recording by Axl Rose old or new songs.... If you feel that strongly about it then dont buy it (if he releases it).. maybe he will give it away or put  it up for a download.. who cares.. either way it would rock harder than the original...

Dont try to defend "oh boo hoo the new members dont want to play and record old material"

Then dont fucking join Guns n Roses... start your own band or side project..that doesnt have a catalog of hits and well known songs..

either way for half of you its wrong for Axl Rose to do something, anything related to the old band but you all seem to forget whos suing who here and who claims to have "moved on"...  I have a big mother fucking middle finger for Slash and Duff and thier lawsuit... and I hope Axl Rose does too...  

If they cared soooo much about the old material and how it was used then they shouldnt have quit and walked away from it so easy in the first place....

"oh but Axl made them sign a paper"  Did Axl Rose hold a gun to thier fucking head???  If he refused to perform then fine he refused to perform... Slash and Duff should have worried about it the second it was brought up not 9 years later...

They need to worry about VR and making VR great not about what the fuck Axl Rose is doing....
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2004, 08:13:26 PM »

Who the fuck cares anymore.. The Re Recorded WTTJ didnt get released... stop fucking crying over it... I personally would have liked to have heard it... but im a selfish fucker who will gladly take any new recording by Axl Rose old or new songs.... If you feel that strongly about it then dont buy it (if he releases it).. maybe he will give it away or put  it up for a download.. who cares.. either way it would rock harder than the original...

Dont try to defend "oh boo hoo the new members dont want to play and record old material"

Then dont fucking join Guns n Roses... start your own band or side project..that doesnt have a catalog of hits and well known songs..

either way for half of you its wrong for Axl Rose to do something, anything related to the old band but you all seem to forget whos suing who here and who claims to have "moved on"...  I have a big mother fucking middle finger for Slash and Duff and thier lawsuit... and I hope Axl Rose does too...  

If they cared soooo much about the old material and how it was used then they shouldnt have quit and walked away from it so easy in the first place....

"oh but Axl made them sign a paper"  Did Axl Rose hold a gun to thier fucking head???  If he refused to perform then fine he refused to perform... Slash and Duff should have worried about it the second it was brought up not 9 years later...

They need to worry about VR and making VR great not about what the fuck Axl Rose is doing....

But who the fuck are you to tell them how they should run their lives/their careers?  We are fans of their music and are here now interested in them enough to put our energy into writing about them because of what they all created. We don't own them though!

Nobody here  has the right to point the finger. You can take - as would be -  the approach in the courts - an objective view of both "sides".  But to insult any of them it's just not our right to. They are grown men with their lives to live how they want, if they feel strongly enough about issues to go to court, then does that really effect us listening and enjoying them as musicians??  

And to an extent They are always asked about Axl and very rarely say anything too negative.  So if they are still speaking on behalf of GNR - because in the eyes and ears of most that's the reality.  Then i think they should have a bit more control.

And i don't think SLash and Duff are as cold as Axl and this is not anti Axl i love the guy admire him so so much.  But he can and be rigth stubborn and would just cut off from them and seemingly not flinch-  if he obtained all the rights ect he would most probably not even bother trying to make them included in ideas for the old material.  

But some how i don't see Slash and Duff being as cold as that.  I think they just want a fair say in what does represent their work.  

Now they have all sobered up i'm sure a nice BBQ and a few beers together would sort all this out lol but not so simple in the world of GNR lol    

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: