Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  Boston show
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boston show  (Read 14365 times)
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« on: May 30, 2004, 10:00:24 PM »

The show lastnight really rocked!  I didn't go inside the venue until about 15 mins before they came out and it was PACKED.  I worked my way to the front row on Slash's side just in time for the show to start!  ok They looked great together and you can tell that they care about their fans.  In the 5 times that I saw the old GNR, I never heard Slash say a word, but now he talks between the songs.  It was great to see that and he truly seemed to be having fun.  At one point the crowed was chanting VR over and over and Slash said that was a great way to address them and that it was better than the chants that he has heard at other shows. (I assume he was talking about the Axl Sucks chants).  There were mainly GNR fans there and the crowd went crazy when they played Mr. Brownstone, UTLH, and It's So Easy.  I don't know what else to say except that they rocked and it was great to see Slash and Duff together again after 12 years!  drool

I got some pics on the cell phone and if I can get them lightened up a bit, I'll post them later. Cool

Why don't you just....
Dizzy
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 10:32:52 PM »

Cool, sounds like you enjoyed your show as much as I enjoyed the Philadelphia show.   Cool
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 10:58:28 PM »

Im waiting for Daves review  hihi
Dizzy
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 11:01:26 PM »

Dave actually spent money to attend a VR show?  No way!   Shocked
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 11:13:22 PM »

A band promoting an album with a release date on a sold out tour, playing new material and timeless classics from the AFD/Core of GNR/STP (without multiple keyboard players) probably wouldn't interest anyone who doesn't like that kind of rock n roll show...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 11:59:11 PM »

I did not go but I am suprised VR did not play the WBCN river rave which was also today.  They would have played in front of a lot more people, or they could have even done both. Just played the river rave in the afternoon and the club at nite.

A band promoting an album with a release date on a sold out tour, playing new material and timeless classics from the AFD/Core of GNR/STP (without multiple keyboard players) probably wouldn't interest anyone who doesn't like that kind of rock n roll show...

As for you falcon, with wise ass remarks like this you wonder why I like fucking with VR fans and my posts about them.  I could do one here but I won't since I am too tired to bother with you tonite.

But guess what, Axls gnr sold more tix in boston than VR did  ok
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 12:01:33 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 12:13:54 AM »

As for you falcon, with wise ass remarks like this you wonder why I like fucking with VR fans and my posts about them.  

Notice I didn't single you out Dave, I said "anyone"...

I could do one here but I won't since I am too tired to bother with you tonite.

Seeing as how you could hardly "do one" (with me at least) awake, it's not surprising.

But guess what, Axls gnr sold more tix in boston than VR did  ok

Who said anything about GNR?

There you go again...

Listen to some Coldplay and get some rest...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
duffman
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 12:18:11 AM »

It truely was an incredible show.  This band is a force to be reckoned with.  The amount of energy that they put out is unmatched.  Amazing, amazing show.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 12:20:38 AM »

You did not mention Gnr? That is funny then what does that two keyboard remark mean? Or the bitching about VR being a band with an album release date? Hmm

Btw cold play is much better than VR, VR cant even come close.

Axl will have the last laugh, so it really does not matter.
VR is just like audioslave, people go crazy because they are viewed as a super group.

They have a few good songs just like audioslave.
After a few months the hype will die down and VR will be lumped in with all the other bands again.  They are a decent band but nothing speical.

They still don't have a song that can compete with madagascar.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 12:24:59 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 12:36:46 AM »

You did not mention Gnr? That is funny then what does that two keyboard remark mean?

No, I didn't.

The 2 keyboard remark was a blanket reference, if Axl's orchestra falls under that description, it's purely coincedence, left for personal interpretation.

Or the bitching about VR being a band with an album release date? Hmm

Who was "bitching"?  Since I was speaking of VR in an objective factual manner, I'd hardly charachterize it as "bitching".

That's your opinion and your entitled to it.

Now reset the CD player from Coldplay to a continuous loop of Estranged, that's bound to help you go nite-nite...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 01:10:47 AM »

You did not mention Gnr? That is funny then what does that two keyboard remark mean? Or the bitching about VR being a band with an album release date? Hmm

VR is just like audioslave, <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=56">people</a> go crazy because they are viewed as a super group.

They have a few good songs just like audioslave.
After a few months the hype will die down and VR will be lumped in with all the other bands again.  They are a decent band but nothing speical.

obviously, VR sucks, axl rocks!!
these guys kick ass, if you don't like them, stop posting here.
if you want talk shit in a VR forum obviously you're gonna get bashed. why don't you just goto some coldplay forums?
And we don't care bout who has the last laugh as long we keep on getting good music, it dosen't matter.
and a good comparison would be chinese democracy and slither, not madagascar and slither, they are completely different in all respects.
in CD and Slither, Slither kicks CD's ass

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 05:10:08 AM »

The show was awesome and the energy was intense!!! Enough said.

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 06:52:06 AM »

I was talking to one of my gay friends yesterday and he was telling me how great Coldplay was. He said all homo's love coldplay. I was like good for you guys, I'll stay away from Coldplay fans.

Very good point if you are gonna compare Slither to Madagascar (which makes no sense), then we can compare Silk Worms to FTP. And we all know Silk Worms sucks. Hell Silk Worm sucks compared to most anything.

This is rock n roll. Who gets the last laugh? This isnt the last comedian standy. Is Axl laughing at us? As we show up thinking he's gonna play and he cancels? Why is he laughing last?

Hell I wish GNR can sell great and fill stadiums once again, and play their music and release a cd. It would be great

I wish the same for VR. But they are rock bands not JR HIGH enemies trying to plot who gets the last laugh. Let them both sell good and cover the radio. I can't much more Limp before I overdose.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Dizzy
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 10:11:15 AM »

But they are rock bands not JR HIGH enemies trying to plot who gets the last laugh.

As I said elsewhere, everything in the world is in competition with Axl Rose.  Dave's just the only one keeping score.

Now back on topic, anybody else go to this show?  Reviews please!   Cool
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

When all I&#039;ve got is precious time

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 11:02:42 AM »

I am the only one keeping score? That is funny I seem to remember VR fans saying oh i get VR album will come out first, or counting the cancelled shows for the new band, or those supposted release dates that passed. So that is not keeping score? That is news to me.  Roll Eyes

As for cold play  being for gay people, even if that is true, who cares. So you are not going to like a band because a lot of gay people do? If anything that is JH like, following the crowds, its too bad you cant think for youself and like bands  you like and not worry if gay people like them or not.

As for plotting who gets the last laugh, gee isnt that what slash and duff are doing by suing Axl saying oh he really left gnr and not them?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 11:05:26 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 11:41:40 AM »

I was talking to one of my gay friends yesterday and he was telling me how great Coldplay was. He said all homo's love coldplay. I was like good for you guys, I'll stay away from Coldplay fans.

Maybe you could ask them to read our rules and translate them for you, so you'd understand them?

Post another attack at one or more of the board's members and you'll have more time to spend with your friends.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
madagas
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 12:15:33 PM »

Falcon, Axl's Orchestra...see, that is pretty clever. I actually prefer Axl's Art Project.  hihi However, let's not overplay "this sold out tour" stuff. 1500-2000 seat venues is hardly Altamont. I appreciate the fact they are bringing the music back to where it should be but with these high profile musicians, it is hardly suprising or noteworthy that they are filling these venues. Kiss
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 12:16:37 PM by madagas » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 12:22:11 PM »

Velvet Revolver slashes and burns
By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff  |  May 31, 2004

There are some men who are made to wear pants with one-inch zippers. They straddle amplifiers with ease, shoot their flesh full of ink and drugs, and appear to have had poisonous snakes for parents. They schedule gigs around their relapses and delay albums to accommodate court dates. They're trouble, they're rock stars, and Scott Weiland -- former frontman for Stone Temple Pilots and now the serpentine mike-slinger in the Sunset Strip supergroup Velvet Revolver -- is one of the last left standing.

Weiland's new pack of cred-heavy enablers include three former members of the beloved hard- rock band Guns N' Roses. Some may wonder why guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, and drummer Matt Sorum -- who spent the better part of a decade hoping that Axl Rose would show up -- decided to hitch their wagon to another whackjob. Here's a guess: It's because not a single fist-pumping dude, dutiful girlfriend, or jaded insider in the jam-packed audience Saturday night at Avalon could take their eyes off him.

The preening and strutting began with the first notes of "Sucker Train Blues" -- a track from Velvet Revolver's forthcoming debut, "Contraband," in stores June 8 -- and ended 75 minutes later with a cover of Nirvana's "Negative Creep." In between, the band played eight more tracks from "Contraband" and a few tunes each from the members' old bands: STP's grungy "Crackerman" and "Sex Type Thing," and GNR's "Its So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," and the night's big crowdpleaser, "Used to Love Her."

The latter tune was positively shocking -- not so much for its misogynist lyrics but because the song's loping, country-fried boogie was such a dramatic break from the Velvet Revolver catalog, which combined into one extended rabble-rousing anthem to rock-star decadence. Even "Fall to Pieces," a topical power ballad which addresses addiction in a meaningful way, struck many as a good excuse to light up. It also inspired nostalgia for Izzy Stradlin's composing skills. Suffice it to say that Velvet Revolver is less about great songwriting than narrow torsos and gnarly riffs.

Slash, in particular, was masterful. McKagen and Sorum are still an incendiary rhythm section, and second guitarist Dave Kushner seemed quite happy to have been invited to strum on the side of the stage. Weiland, on the other hand, was convincingly joyless. He came out looking like the bad Terminator cop in an officer's cap and aviator glasses, but soon doffed everything except his tiny black trousers. He did appear surprisingly fit -- the better to flow through an endless series of poses, a beautifully damaged practitioner of a faded form.

Joan Anderman can be reached at anderman@globe.com

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2004/05/31/velvet_revolver_slashes_and_burns/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 12:30:59 PM »

Thanks Jarmo - I was going to write more today now that I'm not so hung over.  hihi  Now I don't have to...

Slash wore a red top hat that night and I don't believe he has in the other shows.  It looked cool with his red converse sneakers.

I still need to work on the pics when I get time.  I got a few good ones, but then they started to take the phones away from people and I didn't want to lose it, so I stopped taking pics.

As for the 1500 - 2000 seats, I love it that way!  It makes the show so much more personal than the huge stadium shows where you can barely see them even when you're up front.  It so reminded me of seeing GNR in 1988!  ok
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 12:36:18 PM by Axlluvr2 » Logged

Why don't you just....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 01:04:12 PM »

Falcon, Axl's Orchestra...see, that is pretty clever. I actually prefer Axl's Art Project.  hihi However, let's not overplay "this sold out tour" stuff. 1500-2000 seat venues is hardly Altamont. I appreciate the fact they are bringing the music back to where it should be but with these high profile musicians, it is hardly suprising or noteworthy that they are filling these venues. Kiss

I don't think I was overplaying it in terms of the buzz it's created/creating.  The term, "sold out" in regard to an event is a powerful marketing tool, it creates a sense of urgency with fans that projects a "must see" vibe.  It gets more listeners to the radio stations who are playing VR and promoting the shows, as in, "Seventh caller after we play 'Slither' gets a free pair of tix to the sold out VR show at.."  Both very positive attributes in the perception and growth of VR.

No, it's not Altamont, but it's proved to be a great move on the part of VR and their management.  There's absolutely no chance of a half empty arena or any negative connotations poor sales can bring upon a band.  Online and print reviews lead in with "VR played to a packed Avalon" instead of "A half empty Reunion Arena witnessed so and so".....

It's made VR an extremely hot ticket...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 03:56:57 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

gpfontaine
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2004, 03:08:26 PM »

Wow!  That show was great!

Last year when the new GNR crew came through Hartford I saw them and was very impressed considering how poor they looked on MTV a year earlier.  Until Saturday night I told people it was possibly the greatest concert I had ever seen but they weren?t even close to as good as what I saw Saturday night.

I managed to get up front and center in the second row of people.  The band was completely into the crowd and my only complaint was that the set was not long enough.

One other comparison was that at the GNR concert I had to wait 2+ hours after the opening act for Axl and his band to show up (I was actually surprised that they did show up at all).   VR took just over an hour after the opening band.

A few questions for anyone else who was there:

1) What did the shirt that someone threw to Slash in the middle of the concert say on it?
2) What was the orange drink that Scott threw into the audience?  It was not the Gatorade that was on stage.  Whatever it was, part of it ended up on me.
Dizzy
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2004, 07:18:54 PM »

Slash wore a red top hat that night and I don't believe he has in the other shows.  It looked cool with his red converse sneakers.

A red top hat?  I've never even heard of different colored top hats than black.  I don't think he's worn that ever before, he definitely wasn't wearing it at the Philly show.  It was black, as usual.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2004, 09:07:21 PM »

Velvet Revolver slashes and burns
By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff  |  May 31, 2004

There are some men who are made to wear pants with one-inch zippers. They straddle amplifiers with ease, shoot their flesh full of ink and drugs, and appear to have had poisonous snakes for parents. They schedule gigs around their relapses and delay albums to accommodate court dates. They're trouble, they're rock stars, and Scott Weiland -- former frontman for Stone Temple Pilots and now the serpentine mike-slinger in the Sunset Strip supergroup Velvet Revolver -- is one of the last left standing.

Weiland's new pack of cred-heavy enablers include three former members of the beloved hard- rock band Guns N' Roses. Some may wonder why guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, and drummer Matt Sorum -- who spent the better part of a decade hoping that Axl Rose would show up -- decided to hitch their wagon to another whackjob. Here's a guess: It's because not a single fist-pumping dude, dutiful girlfriend, or jaded insider in the jam-packed audience Saturday night at Avalon could take their eyes off him.

The preening and strutting began with the first notes of "Sucker Train Blues" -- a track from Velvet Revolver's forthcoming debut, "Contraband," in stores June 8 -- and ended 75 minutes later with a cover of Nirvana's "Negative Creep." In between, the band played eight more tracks from "Contraband" and a few tunes each from the members' old bands: STP's grungy "Crackerman" and "Sex Type Thing," and GNR's "Its So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," and the night's big crowdpleaser, "Used to Love Her."

The latter tune was positively shocking -- not so much for its misogynist lyrics but because the song's loping, country-fried boogie was such a dramatic break from the Velvet Revolver catalog, which combined into one extended rabble-rousing anthem to rock-star decadence. Even "Fall to Pieces," a topical power ballad which addresses addiction in a meaningful way, struck many as a good excuse to light up. It also inspired nostalgia for Izzy Stradlin's composing skills. Suffice it to say that Velvet Revolver is less about great songwriting than narrow torsos and gnarly riffs.

Slash, in particular, was masterful. McKagen and Sorum are still an incendiary rhythm section, and second guitarist Dave Kushner seemed quite happy to have been invited to strum on the side of the stage. Weiland, on the other hand, was convincingly joyless. He came out looking like the bad Terminator cop in an officer's cap and aviator glasses, but soon doffed everything except his tiny black trousers. He did appear surprisingly fit -- the better to flow through an endless series of poses, a beautifully damaged practitioner of a faded form.

Joan Anderman can be reached at anderman@globe.com

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2004/05/31/velvet_revolver_slashes_and_burns/

/jarmo

Ouch!! That's not a very favorable review of Scott...

About the drink he throws into the audience. I thought it was Gatorade, but if it's not, it could be Vitamin Water which comes in different colors and you can buy at health food stores.  Smiley
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 09:13:11 AM »

Here are a few pics from the show on Saturday - sorry they are so big.  I don't have time to resize them now...

Why don't you just....
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 11:40:57 AM »

Thanks AXllurv2! ok peace

Riot In Everyone!
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »

Sad Cry Cry

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 10:29:41 PM »

Why are you sad,  Dot?

Why don't you just....
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 10:06:55 AM »

I wasn?t able to be there Cry

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 07:21:26 PM »

great shots lover!  ok i bet you had a fucking blast!!

peace

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

Ch. Democracy will be out when China's a Democracy

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2004, 02:50:56 AM »

After a few months the hype will die down and VR will be lumped in with all the other bands again.  

Good to see that some posters don't change. Miss me DaveGnR2k12?  In response to your little ditty...
-I tried to say something funny about Axl having the last laugh. Then I just pictured Rose in hibernation in his Malibu estate with his psychic, yoga instructor, and body guards, re-writing buckethead's guitar parts, while braiding his hair extensions and shooting up with botox.  I realized there was no reason to respond to your sentence about Rose after laughing...

-Don't you mean the hype will die down and VR will be lumped in with other bands like "Axl's Gnr"?  Remember the hype about Chinese Democracy Starts Now!?!? And the hype about the North American tour?!?  Wouldn't you say it's died down?

-A song to compete with Madagascar--- No, they don't have a balad with horns that runs 10 minutes. You are correct. And I like Maddy and The Blues too. But they are now 2 year old songs. You may as well say that VR doesnt' have anything to compare with SCOM, while you're at it.  I think it would be more appropriate and timely to say that Axl doesn't have anythign to compare with Contraband... BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE AN ALBUM!!!!!!!!

"It'll be out by 2009"
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2004, 08:47:46 PM »

I wasn?t able to be there Cry

I hope it wasn't because you didn't have a ticket cuz I had an extra that I sold at the door.

e - I did have a fuckin blast!  smoking

Why don't you just....
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2004, 03:04:18 PM »

e - I did have a fuckin blast!  smoking

well as you now might have figured out, i'm not a man of my words lol! fuck, but i'll see them in norway this summer so i'm still happy! too bad we couldn't rock that place together huh?! anyway, i'm glad you and Ire did tho!  peace ok

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:20 PM »

I sold a ticket at the door for the 50 bucks I paid on ebay. We couldn't get ahold of one guy and he ended up calling my cell like 2 minutes before they went onstage. Oh well.............

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: