Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 12:35:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228054 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD is as bad as Contraband, I'll kill myself
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD is as bad as Contraband, I'll kill myself  (Read 35023 times)
Chrill
Opening Act

You're fucking crazy

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2004, 07:34:51 PM »

Oh fuck that shit man! There's no way Axl have a better voice than Scott! Everytime Axl sings live it sounds like he have just swallowed a sandpaper and that his voice is about to give up anytime. But it's not bad, cuz the GNR songs is only complete when Axl sings, but in general his voice aint that great. I didn?t like Scotts voice at first, but when you hear Contraband it really makes you think otherwise. And by the way, Contraband rocks!
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2004, 07:48:22 PM »

contraband is a good CD!!
Chinese Democracy will be a good CD!
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2004, 10:09:12 PM »

Oh fuck that shit man! There's no way Axl have a better voice than Scott! Everytime Axl sings live it sounds like he have just swallowed a sandpaper and that his voice is about to give up anytime. But it's not bad, cuz the GNR songs is only complete when Axl sings, but in general his voice aint that great. I didn?t like Scotts voice at first, but when you hear Contraband it really makes you think otherwise. And by the way, Contraband rocks!

Dude, out down the crack pipe and get real.

Scott isn't that good of a singer.  He's very limited, has no range, and has no power.  He's very boring.

Axl was born with a god given voice.  He can do it all. He blows people away.
Dizzy
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2004, 10:25:13 PM »

Scott isn't that good of a singer.  He's very limited, has no range, and has no power.  

You obviously haven't seen VR live.  Anybody who has doesn't doubt Scott's range for a second.  He may not exercise his range on the CDs, but he does when he performs live.

Axl was born with a god given voice.  He can do it all. He blows people away.

Yeah, a god given studio-produced voice.  Axl is a great singer, but he never sounded as good live as he did in the studio.  His voice was always hit and miss live, with large margins of error.  That's a fact, just listen to the bootlegs.  I like that "sandpaper" analogy that Chrill used, because that's exactly what Axl sounded like from 1988 on.  Just watch the UYI DVDs for crying out loud.  He sounded better during the 2001 Rio show and on the 2002 tour, but he didn't utilize his range at all, he's been singing in that montone high pitch voice ever since his "comeback".

I do concur that Axl is a better overall singer than Scott, but who gives a fuck?  VR rocks, and we have no Axl CD.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:26:46 PM by Dizzy » Logged
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2004, 11:04:14 PM »

I basically agree with the essence of the original post and with YoungGunner. VR does absolutely nothing for me. To be fair, I haven't heard all of Contraband, but what I have heard, I'm not impressed.

It seems to me like it's just Slash's snakepit all over again. Uninspired and forgettable.

There was a time in the 90's (before Slash's snakepit) when I heard all the rumors about musical differences between the band and Axl and I actually thought that Slash and company were in the right, because I remember reading the comment from Axl about being into Industrial rock and wanting to do more songs like "My World" so I thought Slash was right for resisting.

Then I learned that Slash didn't like the slower stuff, Slash hated playing songs like Estranged, then I heard Madagascar and The Blues and realized that I think Axl was in the right all along.

Slash wants a straight forward basic boring rock band and Axl had vision. To elaborate on what YoungGunner said, Axl may suck as a person and be a prick to work with and treat his fans like shit (ahem, waiting until 11:15 to start a show and putting the audience through far too much Mix Master Mike!) but it's clear that he always the brains behind GNR and he's what made them special. You can compare it to sports. There's certain players who are superstars and there are some players who great complementary players, meaning they are great when paired with a superstar, but alone, they are mediocre. And nothing Slash and the rest of the original (or real) members of GNR have put out since then has done anything to change my mind.

It would be one thing if they were able to put out really good rock songs of the quality of Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Night train, Rocket Queen, etc., but this Snakepit stuff, VR, Duff's solo work, just isn't up to par.

I don't blame Axl at all for not wanting to be part of stuff like the above mentioned material.
charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2004, 02:17:03 AM »

How is this CD uninspired? These men LOVE what they are doing. They have all the money in the world, but for them its about the music. The ballads alone show Scotts demons. They arent much different from Axl's.

Fall to Pieces is what I think Slash would have done to The Blues. They are one in the same song really. Axl likes his piano, but other than that, they are very similar.

I agree with the guy who said "Contraband" is a CD that grows on you. It really does. Listen to it with headphones and it blows you away. The muscianship is absolutely incredible. I can't believe people are taking this for granted. Matt Sorum lays down one of the best drums tracks of the last ten years, Slash has the most memorable solo since the Illusions records and yet people call it "rushed". The melodies are insane. Kushner brings such a cool dynamic to the band as well. His quirky sounds pepper the record in all the right places.

Buy the record. Dont sit at your computer with shitty speakers, listen to it once and tell me that "Silkworms" is better than anything on the record. This band is going to blow up whether some of you like it or not.

I was a skeptic as well, after seeing the band live, there is no turning back. Weiland polarizes a crowd like Axl. His charisma is magnetic. Then surrounding him, you have the surrogate fathers of sleaze-metal. Its an insane combination.

I saw GnR live in 2002. It was a great show. There is a big difference though, to seeing them live to a half full stadium and a club full of sweaty bodies with tickets going for 10 times the face value. Hell, at the first Philly show they were GIVING AWAY tickets to night two. It didn't make the show any less enjoyable though. It was what it was, the Axl show. He is an amazing man to watch.

Its all a matter of picking a sides to some of you. Sure, we will all love Chinese Democracy. In the meantime, some of are going to enjoy a solid rock album. Sorry to see you miss out, but sour grapes doesn't solve anything.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2004, 02:59:07 AM »

I like the lyrics Scott has wrote... I HATED lyrics that Slash and Duff wrote on thier Solo albums... God i was SSSOOO Dissapointed with those Solo albums... VR have some good lyrics now that Slash sticks to what he does best play guitar... Duff, play Bass...

Slash and Duff have never been that great at writing lyrics.. thats why thier solo albums blow....

Izzys 117degrees is a great album...
Axls will be a great album...

VR is a great album.... they went back to what they all do best and wrting lyrics isnt one of them for Slash and Duff...

Scott was a great fit... I would have liked to see Josh Todd get the part more but I think Scott Weiland is a bad ass none the less and hes wrote some great songs...

Fall to Pieces, Headspace and Loving the Alien all rule.. I like them better than i like Riyad or Chinese.....

but i still like OMG better than anyting on VR's disc but thats just me...
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2004, 04:10:44 AM »

Lets be honest, for a first album and the amount of time the album was done, Contraband is a good solid album.

But after 10 years of waiting and axl "perfecting" the record as he says id be very dissapointed.

But it won't be like that, u can already tell from the songs that we've heard that it's goin to be a great album.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2004, 09:03:36 AM »

How about, listen to The whole contraband album one or two times before you slam it. Fuck I hate that. "What's this, ooh slash & duff, they were in g'n'r.  No axl. Scott weiland!! who the fuck is that? Oh that junkie peice of shit? fuck that it sucks!" Just give the fucker a listen or two. its good shit. if you don't like it... GET OVER IT!!!

psst. listen to STP's ablums too if you think Scott can't write lyrics and has no vocal range. Oh yeah check him out live too, STP was one of the best shows that I have ever seen.  Tons of energy and tons of talent. Seriously, he's an amazing fucking singer!!! But until you listen to his shit and give him a fair chance, don't give an ignorant fucking opinion.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 09:04:33 AM by Neemo » Logged

SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2004, 09:40:16 AM »

TO MR DRUNK:
At time yOU were without AXL, being aliens...strangers..., having no hope, and without AXL in the world. But, when you trust AXL as your Savior and walk in His way, there are abundant benefits that are yours. You will find purpose and stability in your life.
I am not saying "everything will turn up ROSES" in your life though.  
 The AXL works in mysterious ways. Entrust your life to Him.  Don't take matters into your own hands and DO NOT take your own life. ONCE CHINESE DEMOCRACY COMES ALONG you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your heart will rejoice as when people go up with ELECTRIC GUITARS AND BASS AND DRUMS to the mountain of the AXL, to the Rock N' ROLL.  The AXL will cause men to hear his majestic voice.
PS: I LOVE CONTRABAND. SCOTT ROCKS.

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2004, 12:07:35 PM »

That was a beautiful post. hihi
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2004, 12:13:07 PM »

Fall to Pieces is what I think Slash would have done to The Blues. They are one in the same song really. Axl likes his piano, but other than that, they are very similar.

Not even close. Slash's work on "Fall to Pieces" is definitely something to appreciate, but the lyrics to it are horrible. It's just one cliche on top of another, with a shitty chorus mixed in. Axl would never stoop that low.
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2004, 12:37:21 PM »

I don't mean to sound like a music snob but for people who just like to rock out...this album will do, just like any other mediaocre rock album. It has noise...and thats all that's needed. Others, who take music more seriously, meaning it plays a profound inspirational role, not just immediate pleasure the ears (due to catchiness or a cool riff) might really not see anything special here.

Like someone said...it sounds uninspired. Its cool to have it cranked up in the background while drinking a beer or watching the game. That is pretty much the only thing that it is worth - something you can fill silence with at a party - at least for me.

Those people who are saying it is one of the best rock albums since UYI are either in denial or haven't listened to any music since UYI.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2004, 12:53:10 PM »

I don't mean to sound like a music snob but for people who just like to rock out...this album will do, just like any other mediaocre rock album. It has noise...and thats all that's needed. Others, who take music more seriously, meaning it plays a profound inspirational role, not just immediate pleasure the ears (due to catchiness or a cool riff) might really not see anything special here.

Like someone said...it sounds uninspired.

Taking music more seriously? You must think of the unfinished Nu-GN'R songs like Silkworms, CD and Riyadh. I can't find 'serious music' in those songs, just mediocre incomplete ideas. The Blues and Madagascar are better, but Buckethead's solo (who is az incredible guitarist) is the most boring moment of the post-Slash GN'R era. And The Blues... I hope they'll work even in that song.

Contraband could have been better, but it's fuckin' great. Not a 10/10 record, but 7-8/10, which is quite good. Well, I think Axl is way more talented than Scott, but even Scott has a fantastic charisma nad one of the best frontmen around, but he's not a Pavarotti. But tell me, do you really think that the music on Contraband is not good? Fuckin' great ideas, surprise rhythm changes, great solos and good riffs. The 3 ballads are all fantastics... The music on this album is one of the best since AFD and UYI.  yes

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2004, 01:16:26 PM »

Like someone said...it sounds uninspired.

Taking music more seriously? You must think of the unfinished Nu-GN'R songs like Silkworms, CD and Riyadh. I can't find 'serious music' in those songs, just mediocre incomplete ideas. The Blues and Madagascar are better, but Buckethead's solo (who is az incredible guitarist) is the most boring moment of the post-Slash GN'R era. And The Blues... I hope they'll work even in that song.

I don't like Silkworms...CD and Riyadh are incomplete, I agree, which we haven't even heard as studio versions.  Why do you guys always bring Axl Rose back into the equation. I understand he was pertty much 90% of GnR, but lets talk about VR seperately for a minute - after all they are grown men who have moved on and are not in any way affiliated with Axl right now.

Contraband could have been better, but it's fuckin' great. Not a 10/10 record, but 7-8/10, which is quite good. Well, I think Axl is way more talented than Scott, but even Scott has a fantastic charisma nad one of the best frontmen around, but he's not a Pavarotti. But tell me, do you really think that the music on Contraband is not good? Fuckin' great ideas, surprise rhythm changes, great solos and good riffs. The 3 ballads are all fantastics... The music on this album is one of the best since AFD and UYI.  yes

Yes, the music is good for a rock album and that is all it is: just good. Just good, as in, if its playing on the radio, people will probably not switch the station. Not good as in, one of the best in the last 15 years.  

Keep in mind, I am a huge slash fan...but name one band that is popular today, and chances are their material is equal to, if not better than what VR has released.  Names? Three Days Grace, the Darkness, powderfinger, the vines, jet, linkin park, etc. Not great bands but certainly not worse than VR.  The last 15 years have produced artists which are leagues better than what VR has offered us on Contraband.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 01:17:57 PM by Captain Obvious » Logged
MIIKA
Headliner

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2004, 02:50:02 PM »

I`ll kill myself anyway
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2004, 03:18:50 PM »

I like Contraband.  I don't care about anyone else.  I care about myself.  Contraband has 5 high quality songs and the others are growing on me.

Hell you have to have an album for a while before you make a decision.  I didn't give BAd Apples from UYI a chance and then one day I got into it.  

« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:27:58 PM by PhillyRiot » Logged

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2004, 03:54:40 PM »

I was the same for Pretty Tied Up.

Dizzy
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2004, 06:00:37 PM »

I like the lyrics Scott has wrote... I HATED lyrics that Slash and Duff wrote on thier Solo albums...

Slash only wrote some lyrics on the first Snakepit album.  He wrote none on the second.

Not even close. Slash's work on "Fall to Pieces" is definitely something to appreciate, but the lyrics to it are horrible. It's just one cliche on top of another, with a shitty chorus mixed in. Axl would never stoop that low.

Noooo of course not.  Instead of stooping to that level, he ascended the highest possible plateau by placing his name on that pile of shit "Silkworms".  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 09:50:48 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2004, 06:31:26 PM »

Keep in mind, I am a huge slash fan...

Why do you guys always bring Axl Rose back into the equation. I understand he was pertty much 90% of GnR

Yeah, a huge fan.  So huge you think he was less than 10% of the band...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: