Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Songs you recommend to people - READ THE RULES FIRST!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you recommend to people - READ THE RULES FIRST!  (Read 236311 times)
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« on: June 08, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »

since the last one was locked and i really liked the thread so i decided to start a new one.
please see the first page of "song you think people should download" thread for rules on how to post here!! (sounds kinda strict, doesnt it ?Angry)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:09:34 PM by jarmo » Logged

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 01:41:16 PM »

Please read...

Apart from B-Sides/Rare songs, please do not add a song by a band with a major record deal, or bands who get serious airplay.
If you wish to recommend a song, please describe the band, and song.
Post your own recommended independent albums/songs only after commenting on another album or song previously posted.
You can however add songs by bands, who have recently hit the big time, but maybe have a few albums (released on indies) the majority have not heard.

If I've missed anything add it.

If the rules are broken, the Mods will delete the post (s).

This may not be as "active" but at least it won't be a big pile of beggars balls.

I'll leave the thread open. First person here can post whatever band they think people might like. G'on.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:30:31 PM by Chris Misfit » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 08:39:57 AM »

I'll start then...

I recommend any song from the band " Death Cab for Cutie" but since I have to recommend one, I'll go with " Expo'86" off the Transatlanticism album.

The song starts with slow with an electric guitar. Then an acoustic guitar kicks in, becoming the chord structure of the song. The chorus is more of a rocker, with heavier drums and guitars. Melodic vocals.

This band kind be described as an indie pop band. Some describe their sound as emo. They are no rockers, mellow sound but great lyrics and voice. They have 4 albums out. I have downloaded every song of the mentioned album above and a couple here and there. It's definitely worth it. If you looking to find heavy riffs in this one,skip it, but if you're open to new sounds, this is a winner.

The lead singer is also involved in another project called " The Postal Service". That's more Electronica oriented, but with electric and acoustic guitar melodies.

By the way, I dont think this band is big. I wouldn't know from where I live, but I don't think they have a big record deal nor they are getting too much airplay. Maybe indie stations but that's all.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 08:43:48 AM by Chinasky » Logged
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 06:30:43 AM »

I listened Death Cab for Cutie?s Expo ?86.

Never heard of this band before. The song was quite slow and "easy going" and as Chinansky said vocals were melodic. It was ok, not the kind of music i would listen much, though.

Suprise, I will recommend Backyard Babies song called Look at You. Backyard Babies are swedish glamrock band. This song is from Total 13-album (1998 MVG records, Coalition recordings). It?s quite fast, and i?d call it punk n?roll... Great, stirring chorus. (Hopefully Backyard Babies aren?t too "popular" for this..). Enjoy!  Wink

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Chris Misfit
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 09:34:42 AM »

The Backyard Babies track sounds like something I've heard before. Still a great track though.....reminds me very much of the Wildhearts.

OK, check out Dirty Stevie - D'ya Wanna Have Sex With Me. I think I already got Avaa to download this. It's a good rock n' roll song, with a very catchy chorus and riff. They're from B'fast.

http://www.dirtystevie.co.uk/pages/musictext.htm
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 10:07:54 AM »

Backyard Babies are great, I borrowed their debut of my friend on...Well, somebody's advice from the board. Maybe Aava. It's a really good album.

And that's also a great song.

It will also probably come as no suprise that I'm going to recommend King Adora...

I've recommended them about four times on this board and never have I got any feedback. Well, from one person I have, but he's a loser face.

Download Drag, the title track from their second album.

As I've said before they are kind of pop punk, but I mean this not in the slightest way as what Blink 182 are classed as. I mean real pop punk...Punk with a pop edge to it, slightly more sing along underground Punk. I guess they're slightly glam, but don't be expecting no Hanoi Rocks. Maxi Browne sounds slightly like a more vicious Frank Black.

It's hard to categorize them...

Originally they had support from Kerrang, Q and Radio 1 (The Rock Show..), but that seems to have dried up since they were dropped from their label after their first album.

...But is not important, they have a new label. I saw them live about a month back and they are a great band to see.

edit: I'm dumb, it isn't actually the title track...Although it kind of is. Fuck off.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:43:43 PM by used illusions [ aapc ] » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 05:54:35 AM »

Backyard Babies are great, I borrowed their debut of my friend on...Well, somebody's advice from the board. Maybe Aava. It's a really good album.

Great!  ok

I listened King Adora?s Bionic (i only found couple of their songs..). I liked it, even I think it needs to be listen more than once.

I did download that Dirty Stevie track earlier and it reminds me of the 60?s and 70?s rock n?roll..

Ok, i?ll recommend finnish band 22 Pistepirkko and their song Birdy. 22 Pistepirkko is mix of garage rock and electrical music. It sounds a bit weird, but i love it, makes me happy!

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 05:25:30 AM »

If I've missed anything add it.

Only post one song at a friggin' time.

Amen on the 56k thing though...

...But I get broadband very soon, so it's all good.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 02:49:53 PM »

I'm so bad at the genre Dirty Stevie represents it all starts sounding like Sex Pistols in my ears.. So I wasn't really a fan of that.

Death Cab for Cutie one was good I thought.. Not something I'd buy an album full of, but I liked it.

I've never been a big fan of Backyard babies, so I didn't care for that song either.

I'd like to suggest a song by a sideproject of the drummer of Dream Theater called  "Liquid Tension Experiment". I don't know if you've heard of it, but if you haven't, and like instrumental music, make sure you do. A good song to sort of get to know them is "Acid Rain", or if you're not a fan of faster music, you can try "Biaxident".

I myself don't like Dream Theater almost at all (mainly because of the singers not so masculine voice), but this I can listen to for a very, very long time..

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 05:47:35 PM »

I'd like to suggest a song by a sideproject of the drummer of Dream Theater called  "Liquid Tension Experiment".

It's actually not only Mike Portnoy's sideproject, there's also John Petrucci (guitar) and Jordan Rudess (keyboards) from DT. So it's practically Dream Theater gone instrumental. But yeah, LTE is great for those who dislike James LaBrie's vocals. I used to hate them as well, but since 'Images and Words' is such a classic album, I kinda got used to it.

As for the song Aava mentioned, 'Birdy' by 22 Pistepirkko, it's a great, atmospheric song. Pretty alternative stuff, but cool.

I recommend, from all my heart, the song 'Storm' by Devin Townsend (it's from the 2003 album Accelerated Evolution). It's heavy metal, but probably nothing like you've heard before. Devin has a unique ability to create this huge wall of sound, with all these amazing melodies, and the vocals... 'Storm' has one the most emotive vocal deliveries I've heard in my life - it has that certain thing that Axl managed to create at the end of Estranged. If there are any emotions in you, and you listen to the song with the lyrics in front of you, it will very likely make you feel something. Especially pay close attention to the last minute of the song, it'll simply blow you away..

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 03:17:13 AM »

It's actually not only Mike Portnoy's sideproject, there's also John Petrucci (guitar) and Jordan Rudess (keyboards) from DT. So it's practically Dream Theater gone instrumental.

Mike Portnoy was given the chance to build a sideproject with the players of his choise and he was asked for a wishlist for all the different players he wanted to work with. So he chose Tony Levin on bass, and Jordan Rudess, who was not part of Dream Theater at the time. The Idea of using John came from his wife, and at first he wanted to keep the band totally separated from DT, but decided otherwise in the end... What I'm trying to say here is that when they started, it _was_ a Portnoy soloproject. But that's not the point of this thread so I'll just shut it, and go find that song you suggested.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 03:17:50 AM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 06:34:50 AM »

I recommend, from all my heart, the song 'Storm' by Devin Townsend

I've actually been trying to get this guy for a long time, he seems to get alot of respect, plus he played for The Wildhearts......his songs just seem shit to me. I've downloaded the track, and it sounds like something thats supposed to be emotional, but just comes across quite cheap, and painfully tiring. Sorry.

I recommend a band called the Fighting Cougars - Sports Metal Showdown, who are a crossover band, that means hardcore/thrash. It's pretty basic, but they are quite good and their singer is an old friend/Electric Frankenstein fan. They sound a bit like SSD or any other old school hardcore band, but it's better than his old band Eat Yer Greens (Veggie Punk). Here's some lyrics too.... http://www.fightingcougars.tk/

Sports Metal Showdown

Down tuned guitars
Knuckles on the ground
Caps on backward
Say 'yo holmes' to the crowd

Sports Metal showdown
Bred in a laboratory
Sports Metal showdown
Musical lobotomy
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 02:00:23 PM »

Here's some lyrics too....

Ah well, you gonna need those!
I didn?t understand a single word, even i read the lyrics at the same time..  Embarrassed
I didn?t like it much.

So, did anyone listen Birdy?

I recommend one of my fav songs, Andy McCoy (Hanoi Rocks guitarist) - Strung Out. Basic rock. It?s released around ?95, i think.

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 02:26:55 PM »

I recommend one of my fav songs, Andy McCoy (Hanoi Rocks guitarist) - Strung Out.

I don't like Andy McCoy's solo material that much, but I have to say Strung Out is a great song. It's classic rock, I'm sure a lot of people here would dig it.

(Devin Townsend - Storm)
it sounds like something thats supposed to be emotional, but just comes across quite cheap, and painfully tiring. Sorry.

Agh, a dagger through my heart hihi

But that's an interesting view, cheap is something I could never connect with Devin Townsend; he's such a genuine, honest, original, uncompromising, talented artist. And like you said, he really does get a lot of respect, especially from other musicians. Ever since I discovered his music, I've thought he's someone that a lot of metal fans would appreciate if only they knew about him.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 10:11:08 AM »

I'd like to suggest a song by a sideproject of the drummer of Dream Theater called  "Liquid Tension Experiment". I don't know if you've heard of it, but if you haven't, and like instrumental music, make sure you do. A good song to sort of get to know them is "Acid Rain", or if you're not a fan of faster music, you can try "Biaxident".

So I downloaded "Acid Rain". I LOVE IT!!

I haven't been able to get a lot of LTE songs, but I'm trying. Any tips on where I can find it?

You know something really bad? Stores areound here only sell stuff I DON'T want to buy. I can never find any DT or LTE here ...

Anyhoo, my recommendation is Dream Theater's 'A Change of Seasons'. It's a 23 minute masterpiece that can be described as nothing short of breath-taking.

(BTW, I know I'm only supposed to recommend one song, but this is just in case you guys are too lazy to DL a 23 min. song ... Check out Liquid Tension Experiment's 'Hourglass'. It's a slow song. If you wanted fast, DL Skeboy's recomendation.)

No.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 07:21:22 AM »

I'm making a mess with all these quotes...

anyway, could you provide a link so I can downoad the DTL song? I've tried WinMx but coudn't find it there. Don't have Kazaa cause slows my computer down.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 07:27:22 AM by Chinasky » Logged
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 08:19:55 PM »

I downloaded Hourglass off of Kazaa. Its a very interesting and powerful song.

I dont know if you have heard of the reginional band, THE ROCKET KING. They have hard rock guitars and sounds that remind me of good 80's rock. I like their whole album "Day Late & a Dollar Short" their song Bridge to Burn is a good one to check out.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
CDesigner
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 02:25:31 AM »

Here's a song I'm really thinking you guys might like. It's from an underground band that (unfortunately) broke up shortly after releasing the EP this song came from:

http://www.velvetbluemusic.com/audio/01%20-%20Drop%20Dead.mp3

The band is called Ghoti Hook and the song is "Drop Dead" from their self-titled final EP. It is sort of like an AC/DC rocker with more melodic, meaty vocals. If you go poking around for them, their earlier material is VERY different. They went from silly pop-punk on their early albums to the big rock sound on this EP and (to a lesser extent) the album that preceded it, Two Years To Never. I'm really interested to see what other GN'R fans think of it, because I think it's great.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 04:48:06 AM »

Please read...

Apart from B-Sides/Rare songs, please do not add a song by a band with a major record deal, or bands who get serious airplay.
If you wish to recommend a song, please describe the band, and song.
Post your own recommended independent albums/songs only after commenting on another album or song previously posted.
You can however add songs by bands, who have recently hit the big time, but maybe have a few albums (released on indies) the majority have not heard.

After being deleted by mistake, I'm reposting one of my recommendations. It's definitely worth sharing with the HTGTH crowd.  beer

I would like to recommend a song called The Antique. It's by a band called Kayo Dot, from the album Choirs of the Eye. This song is very, very weird. Normally, I dislike Floyd or Radiohead style songs, but this song just has something I like in it. It's very unorthodox, but beautiful.

It begins with a piano part. This song really creates an atmosphere with the myriad of sounds used. It is not sythesizer heavy. It's artistic.

Oh hell, I give up. You'll just have to hear this song to understand it. Trust me, it's worth the download. I wouldn't recommend buying this album because it's very unusual, and hard to get into. I just love it myself.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 06:54:59 AM by Chris Misfit » Logged
Chris Misfit
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 07:05:40 AM »

That song is great, it's got the whole doom/noise thing going on. It's beautiful but at the same time disturbing. I'll defo download some more of their songs (took me ages to get this one, it's massive).

I recommend Send More Paramedics, who are a thrash/metalcore band. http://www.sendmoreparamedics.com/ I recommend downloading Necromancer, but if you can't find it try one of the MP3's on site......fans of Slayer will like this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: