Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:45:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  VR better than GNR live: My Maxim Bash review
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR better than GNR live: My Maxim Bash review  (Read 41687 times)
Dizzy
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2004, 06:28:43 PM »

He may have meant that he was at the Philadelphia show, as I was.  He should've quoted me to be clear though.   Smiley
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »

If i wrote this cept saying new gnr were better live than VR i would get bashed left and right.  

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2004, 10:08:34 PM »

I'm sorry

Elsewhere in the board we are talking about threads that contribute nothing

And low and behold

ANOTHER THREAD COMPARING VR AND GNR

Why can't u just say it was a great concert - why does it have to be comapred with GNR - why not Metallica? Why not Britney Spears?

Can't we keep VR in one section and GNR in another?

This thread is simply designed to be controversial and will end in more bad blood between certain members

i think it's time everyone accepts the fact that these two bands will forever be compared to one another. whether you agree with it or not, it just the way things will always be. and people shouldn't be so sensitive.

in k-rock's original post, he praises gnr by saying that they are (or were) the standard by which he compares all concerts to. he even states that axl was his favorite!

people are too damn sensitive.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 10:36:39 AM »

I have been lucky enough to see GN'R 5 times live.  

I saw their 1st two gigs after the release of UYI (Worcester, MA) I think in 1991.  They were by far the best GNR shows I saw.  The band had been couped up trying to finish the albums and they just exploded on stage.  It was great!  

I saw then with Metallica on their stadium tour.  They sucked at that particular concert cause Axl was mad at the fact that Metallica got a better response.

I saw them on the Dust & Bones tour and they were decent, but not great.

Lastly, I saw them in 2002 and thought the new band was magnificent.

I have unfortunately not seen VR yet.  When they came to Boston I was on vacation in Maryland (turns out they played in Baltimore while I was there but I didn't know it until I read their concert review the following day - man was i pissed that I missed out on that).

I can't wait to see VR.

My question for you K-Rock is:

If GNR and VR were playing in Philly on the same night at different venues (similarly sized), which band would you go see?

-TyRod-

K-Rock
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2004, 12:37:12 PM »

If GNR and VR were playing in Philly on the same night at different venues (similarly sized), which band would you go see?

-TyRod-

Excellent question!!  I only have an answer for the following scenarios:

If Chinese Democracy was released......I liked the album and Axl & co. were playing mainly new songs with AFD songs thrown in..........Guns N' Roses

If I had the choice of VR or the 2002 GNR show with same set list.......Velvet Revolver

After seeing VR and GNR post-Chinese Democracy.......only then would I be able to tell you which show I would see.
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2004, 02:56:23 PM »

After reading the first page, I only expected two more pages of the same shit, so I'll just save myself the trouble and answer now.

I don't see a problem with K-Rock's review. He compared this show to many others that he has seen:

I'll start by saying that this was the greatest live performance I have ever seen.? I've been to over 20 rock concerts over the last 20-plus years.? I've seen the best (Kiss, Van Halen, Ozzy, AC/DC, Metallica, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Rush, Judas Priest, etc.).

Velvet Revolver blew the doors off of every other live performer.......yes including GN'R.

He said that Axl has always been his favorite, and that Scott happened to be better - he is simply comparing Scott to the best.

If u really want to bitch about how shit GNR are go to a VR board - hell thats all they do there

Who said that GNR was "shit"? And in case you forgot - this happens to be a VR forum.

Anyway, good review K-Rock ok It only makes me want to see VR even more... Undecided

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2004, 04:50:21 PM »

I saw the new GNR in Las Vegas, and I saw Velvet Revolver on Philadelphia and Atlantic City.  Since the GNR show was over 2 years ago and wasn't bootlegged, it is tough to say which band put on a better show.

I will say this though, I had a better time at the Velvet Revolver shows.  The people were a lot cooler than the ones at the Hard Rock in Vegas.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Dizzy
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2004, 09:26:18 PM »

VR, hands down.  I don't want to attend a show and sit around for four hours waiting for Axl to show up onstage, and then play a set almostly entirely comprised of GNR covers, and then bitch about Slash and Duff.

VR did the opposite, they only kept us waiting an hour (which is bad enough, but still not four hours), played mostly new songs, and squelched the derogatory references to Axl in the crowd so they could focus on performing.

That makes all the difference in the world.  I couldn't give a fuck less which band is more talented, I support dependable bands.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 09:42:00 PM by Dizzy » Logged
K-Rock
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »

VR, hands down.  I don't want to attend a show and sit around for four hours waiting for Axl to show up onstage, and then play a set almostly entirely comprised of GNR covers, and then bitch about Slash and Duff.

I didn't think of that.  I would skip GNR if Axl comes back out on tour and continues making everybody wait so long.

We only waited 45 minutes for VR in Atlantic City.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2004, 02:53:03 PM »

so dizzy and krock by that rationale u would go watch good charlotte over GNR?

heres a helluva an idea, why not show up at the arena at 10:00 instead of 8? of course the time u did that axl would actually playon time!

i know it has to suck waiting but still yet, id wait 10 hours to watch GNR over some less talented dependable band

think of what u are really saying

u would watch sum41 over GNR just cause they are on time?

i dont believe that for a second!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
K-Rock
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2004, 03:40:22 PM »

The question was:

-TyRod-

So, how did Good Charlotte come into the picture or any other band for that matter??

I'm 34 now and have kids since I last saw GN'R.  I can't be out till 2 in the morning or even 3......get home by 4 and have to be up at 8 all because Axl, for wahtever reason, doesn't grace the audience with his presence until nealry 3 hours after the opening band has finished their set.

And it's not that I can't per say but that I no longer want to.

So when that question is posed to me today......I'd go see Velvet Revovler a second time before I go watch new-GN'R for the first time, if Axl is till making everybody wait until midnight before he takes the stage.

Dizzy
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2004, 05:33:33 PM »

The question was:

So, how did Good Charlotte come into the picture or any other band for that matter??

I think that answers the question D asked me.  As Steven Adler would say, "thank YOOOU!"
jd#7w
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2004, 09:46:45 PM »

He may have meant that he was at the Philadelphia show, as I was.  He should've quoted me to be clear though.   Smiley

yes, thats what i meant. sorry
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2004, 07:22:32 AM »

this thread has degenerated to garbage again. It's a polite but directed slam of Axl and exhaltationg. VR bores me to tears; i wouldn't ever go to see them live becuase their music lacks invention. i would pay to see Buckethead open for a no name band rather than waste my time with  Weiland's one dimensionality. Axl plays stadiums and thus far only has done a few of the new songs: if he ever gets the new record off the ground, I bet alot of people will get as and more excited as some of you are for a decidedly mediocre mess like Contraband.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 07:36:46 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2004, 10:36:40 AM »

(I won't even comment on the "new" GNR's live performances so as not to spark a furor).  
No but you took it upon yourself to mention it anyway. I saw GNR at MSG and it was an amazing show. They were perfect and the chemistry was great. HAve you seen new gnr live yet?

Are you a lil girl Dizzy? Holy shit. Vr made me wait as long as Axl made me wait in NYC. Like an hour or a lil more.

As for the "bitching about slash and duff". Dude he doesnt do it every concert. Over the past 2002 tour he has done a handful of less than 2 minute long rants before a song. Please stop implying that its part of his act to bitch about slash.

VR did the opposite, they only kept us waiting an hour (which is bad enough, but still not four hours), played mostly new songs, and squelched the derogatory references to Axl in the crowd so they could focus on performing.
Axl only kept me waiting for an hour.

Why did VR play new songs? Um maybe because they had an album coming out. That might be a reason???

LOl and please stop making it seem like they squash all the Axl chants because they are of high dignity and want to be civil. They do it because they dont want attention to be on Axl, they want it on their new frontman.
AFterall they began to get fed up with AXls popularity in old gnr with the fans and media, they certainly dont want to hear about Axl even when hes not in there band.
I couldn't give a fuck less which band is more talented, I support dependable bands.
WHat you really mean is you could give a fuck about Axl rose. And thats fine. BUt you know what? millions of people supported that erratic, unpredicatble, horrible behavior band called guns n roses. They were a band that toured the world and have sold millions of records. Whether a band is dependable or not people want good music. Afterall this is rnr not pop. BUt its your money, live in the greatest country in the world, hence you have the right to choose.

I'm 34 now and have kids since I last saw GN'R.  I can't be out till 2 in the morning or even 3......get home by 4 and have to be up at 8 all because Axl, for wahtever reason, doesn't grace the audience with his presence until nealry 3 hours after the opening band has finished their set.
Dont go.

When going to a gnr concert you know a few things might happen:
1)They will go on late
2) You will see some mighty fine girls on the big screen
3)Theres a less than 1% chance that they might not go on
4) theres a 99% chance that you will get a great show from the band filled with all kinds of emotion and energy...and might very well turn out to be 1 of the greatest shows you will have seen

Scan  those 4 givens before you purchase your tix and balance  out your options......afterall your a grown man
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:47:43 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2004, 12:06:56 PM »

good post. When I went to Hartford 02 and people began chanting asshole, i told them to expect that the show would start at 10:30pm; it was like that the whole tour.

Dependable is dependable but the mystery around axl rose will propel him back into stardom. Call it the Marlon Brando effect, but whoring yourself out to every media outlet or token pop performer will not emboss the rock n roll mystique that axl currently possesses.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2004, 12:12:01 PM »

Call it the Marlon Brando effect
Speaking of which, he died today

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2004, 02:06:02 PM »

Speaking of which, he died today

What?!  Wah.  Now, he was a recluse.  
Dizzy
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2004, 05:57:54 PM »

Are you a lil girl Dizzy?

Jesus H Christ, are YOU A FUCKING LITTLE GIRL?  Because that is about the 100000000th time I have read that stupid insult in posts of yours.  Dear God, if you're going to resort to insults, can you please, PRETTY FUCKING PLEASE, come up with something new?  JESUS!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 05:58:49 PM by Dizzy » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2004, 06:36:14 PM »

Jesus H Christ, are YOU A FUCKING LITTLE GIRL?  Because that is about the 100000000th time I have read that stupid insult in posts of yours. !
ABout 99% of the time when i say it, its towards you.
So Dizzy are you a lil girl? hihi
Out of 1300 posts ive probably said that about less than 10x...but anyways...

Dear God, if you're going to resort to insults, can you please, PRETTY FUCKING PLEASE, come up with something new?  JESUS
And please dont call me God, I know you worship me and all Dizzy my man, but  I am not nor do I pretend to be the Creator of life. Anthony or Younggunner is fine..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 06:38:00 PM by younggunner » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: