Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  who does VR most sound like?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: who does VR most sound like?  (Read 5295 times)
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« on: August 22, 2004, 09:36:58 PM »

Theres alot of comparing VR to GnR on this board...but the more I think about it ontraband sounds closer to snakepit or STP than Guns. And I don't mean snakepit in a bad way, I always liked it's 5 o'clock somewhere alot. Out of everything the members have done who do you think it sounds the most like? GnR? Neurotic outsiders? Snakepit? STP?

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 09:42:50 PM »

I can hear a lot of bands influence in these songs.
From The Beatles, STP, GNR, Janes Addiction, etc.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 09:59:17 PM »

I can hear the sex pistols too...especially on Do it for the kids

just listen to Black Leather!
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 10:02:01 PM »

Good point about "do it for the kids"...And I like the sex pistols alot. Still havn't heard VRs cover of bodies tho.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
slave2thegrind
Headliner

Duff is the man

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 02:57:42 PM »

Scott makes it feel alot like STP (obviously!!), but I definitely hear some Snakepit and Beatles (especially on the YGNR and LTA)in there

- Mike (The Slave)
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 06:09:35 PM »

it sounds like VR Tongue

i dunno... i noticed a lot of grunge when i first listened to it, maybe because i was expecting some more 80s rock style songs... or maybe it has to do with the fact that i was listening to Alice In Chains right before putting Contraband on the first time hihi

I don't think they sound like GnR... the Slash sound is there yeah, but not enough... I wouldn't compare them to Guns... unless maybe Slither, could be one of GnR's early songs...
They don't sound like any of Duff's solo projects (at least imho) and not really like Slash's either... I dunno... about comparing it to STP, that's easy: where i live noone's ever heard of STP... no shit! When they said Scott was gonna be the singer everyone was all excited "oh the STP singer Cheesy" and over here we were like "Scott who?" hihi I even went to the record store to look for one of their records (duh! I wanted to know what his voice sounded like!!!) and they were all "Stone Temple what? I'm sorry, never heard of it, I can look it up... nope, not in our database... try another store" rofl rofl rofl
other than Sex Type Thing  I never heard STP so I really can't compare...

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
darkmonth
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:53 PM »

There is definitely no grunge influence in VR.  VR's music is comprised of hard rock musicians.  Not one member is a grunge musician.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 05:56:34 AM »

VR sounds nothing like Snakepit, Snakepit sounds like Guns n' Roses man.
VR is nothing new...not in a bad way, it's rock, but ya know what i mean!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 07:21:37 AM »

There is definitely no grunge influence in VR.? VR's music is comprised of hard rock musicians.? Not one member is a grunge musician.

Right.. so they play Negative Creep for shits n' giggles eh.? And Scott Weiland wasn't one of the frontrunners of the grunge era in the early 90's?? Hmm I must be pulling that all out of my ass......oh wait no I'm pretty sure it happened.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 07:23:09 AM by bill213 » Logged

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
darkmonth
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 09:24:16 AM »

There is definitely no grunge influence in VR.  VR's music is comprised of hard rock musicians.  Not one member is a grunge musician.

Right.. so they play Negative Creep for shits n' giggles eh.  And Scott Weiland wasn't one of the frontrunners of the grunge era in the early 90's?  Hmm I must be pulling that all out of my ass......oh wait no I'm pretty sure it happened.  Roll Eyes

The grunge sound comes from the guitar tone.  Scotts vocal is not 'grunge' you fool.  Also, Negative Creep may have SOUNDED like a 'grunge' song, but that was the Kurt Cobain guitar sound.  Messy and fucking mushy.  Slash and Dave play it as a fucking hard rock song.  Because it has nothing now to suggest it was ever 'grunge' (fucking hate that term...)

VR are a rock band.  They sound and play like a rock band.  Not a grunge band.  And in fact, STP were borderline rock anyway.  Jeez.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 06:21:29 PM »

There is definitely no grunge influence in VR.? VR's music is comprised of hard rock musicians.? Not one member is a grunge musician.

Right.. so they play Negative Creep for shits n' giggles eh.? And Scott Weiland wasn't one of the frontrunners of the grunge era in the early 90's?? Hmm I must be pulling that all out of my ass......oh wait no I'm pretty sure it happened.? Roll Eyes

The grunge sound comes from the guitar tone.? Scotts vocal is not 'grunge' you fool.? Also, Negative Creep may have SOUNDED like a 'grunge' song, but that was the Kurt Cobain guitar sound.? Messy and fucking mushy.? Slash and Dave play it as a fucking hard rock song.? Because it has nothing now to suggest it was ever 'grunge' (fucking hate that term...)

VR are a rock band.? They sound and play like a rock band.? Not a grunge band.? And in fact, STP were borderline rock anyway.? Jeez.

grunge    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (grnj)
n. Slang
1. Filth; dirt.
2. A style of rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, popularized in the early 1990s and often marked by lyrics exhibiting nihilism, dissatisfaction, or apathy.

Once again "fool" as you say, grunge is not a mere persons guitar tone.  It is only simply one of the elements encorporating the music.  You say that because Slash and Dave use different guitar tones from Cobain then that totally disowns the song's roots?  Grunge music was a style you turd, as in the definition above.  Just because you hate the term itself doesn't mean you can pull it from the history of the music world.  And STP did shed the grunge image AFTER the first album which unlike the rest of us here on planet Earth you may have not heard.

badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 08:51:09 PM »

i always thought it sounded like Alice in Chains.  Undecided
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 07:03:45 PM »

i always thought it sounded like Alice in Chains.? Undecided

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's not even close to Alice, sorry. Angry
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 08:22:08 PM »

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's not even close to Alice, sorry. Angry

ah, your mother is the dumbest thing i've ever heard...it's not even close to your mom, sorry.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 08:54:59 AM »

I don't think that is that unusual to think. I think Superhuman sounds very much like AIC, especially Scotts vocals.
The song overall has a slow, sludgy groove like AIC too. An listen to the "boop boop" backing vocals in the song too, very similar to AIC's song Again. Maybe its VR's tribute to the dearly departed Layne.

The rest of the album sounds like a mix of GN'R, STP & Jane's Addiction.
All in all, very cool. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
darkmonth
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 02:52:15 PM »

Right.. so they play Negative Creep for shits n' giggles eh.  And Scott Weiland wasn't one of the frontrunners of the grunge era in the early 90's?  Hmm I must be pulling that all out of my ass......oh wait no I'm pretty sure it happened.  Roll Eyes

The grunge sound comes from the guitar tone.  Scotts vocal is not 'grunge' you fool.  Also, Negative Creep may have SOUNDED like a 'grunge' song, but that was the Kurt Cobain guitar sound.  Messy and fucking mushy.  Slash and Dave play it as a fucking hard rock song.  Because it has nothing now to suggest it was ever 'grunge' (fucking hate that term...)

VR are a rock band.  They sound and play like a rock band.  Not a grunge band.  And in fact, STP were borderline rock anyway.  Jeez.

grunge    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (grnj)
n. Slang
1. Filth; dirt.
2. A style of rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, popularized in the early 1990s and often marked by lyrics exhibiting nihilism, dissatisfaction, or apathy.

Once again "fool" as you say, grunge is not a mere persons guitar tone.  It is only simply one of the elements encorporating the music.  You say that because Slash and Dave use different guitar tones from Cobain then that totally disowns the song's roots?  Grunge music was a style you turd, as in the definition above.  Just because you hate the term itself doesn't mean you can pull it from the history of the music world.  And STP did shed the grunge image AFTER the first album which unlike the rest of us here on planet Earth you may have not heard.

you suck.... gyppo! Cheesy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 03:48:57 PM »

I'm starting to get fed up with all the childish one line posts attacking other board members.

Maybe some of you really do need to go look for some board where they're into that kind of behaviour?

Don't come complaining about me being a nazi once one or two of you find yourselves banned because you don't listen.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2004, 07:29:21 PM »

see?? Cheesy? so it wasn't just cause i played AIC at the time? ?Grin

The grunge sound comes from the guitar tone.? Scotts vocal is not 'grunge' you fool.? Also, Negative Creep may have SOUNDED like a 'grunge' song, but that was the Kurt Cobain guitar sound.? Messy and fucking mushy.? Slash and Dave play it as a fucking hard rock song.? Because it has nothing now to suggest it was ever 'grunge' (fucking hate that term...)
i agree with you on that last part, i hate the name too, in the end it's all just rock 'n roll anyway... but seeing we have to describe it some way i just use that term... makes it a lil easier? Tongue

now you can take a song and give a certain sound to it.. you can make a reggae version of Negative Creep too, just like you can make a metal version of Brintey Spears... ok you'd get some funny results but most songs you can twist and turn and give it a whole other sound...
Negative Creep was originally a grungy song, you can't deny that! and yeah VR did make a very different version of it! but if you listen to contraband you have to admit that there's a touch of grunge in there... im not saying it's a grunge record, im saying it has some obvious influences!
but it depends how you're looking at it off course... i was expecting either hard rock or (just maybe) something really blues based, so when i first played it i noticed the grunge stuff here and there... for someone who listens to it and expects to hear grunge CB will prolly be nothing in that genre...

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: