Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses  (Read 33540 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2004, 01:10:20 AM »

RollingStone (mag)>>Issue 952/953>>July 8-22, 2004

(REVIEW / REISSUES & ANTHOLOGIES)
First Bloom
Five rough early demos by Axl Rose?s pre-G n? R band - hidden in this cash-in release - show his appetite for stardom.  By Greg Kot
Photo credit: Neil Zlozower

Whatta pistol: Rose in 1987, in full biker leather and hair spray

Photo credit: Dean Clark

Growing thorns: Axl (center) with Hollywood Rose

HOLLYWOOD ROSE / The Roots of Guns n? Roses / Deadline Music * * (two stars rating)

On the first song of this 1984 demo tape, the erstwhile William Bailey of Lafayette, Indiana - soon to be world famous for raising his goblet of rock as W. Axl Rose - not only demonstrates he?s a first-rate screamer but also a prophet: ?I?m doing nothing on borrowed time .../I make my living killing time.?

Rose has become better known in the last decade for what he hasn?t done: most notably, completing the still-unreleased album Chinese Democracy. But the five songs documented on The Roots of Guns n? Roses remind us why Axl once mattered: an ill wind from the Midwest, ripping up the Sunset Strip.  Straddling the fence between punk and glam, in scarves and leather, Rose and his fellow Indiana expatriate Izzy Stradlin put together the band that would eventually morph into the more spectacular, and star-crossed, Guns n? Roses.

The original demos on this album are thrillingly underproduced, from an outfit that?s more about outlaw kicks than the MTV-courting spectacle of G n? R.  With their hyperventilating tempos and staccato guitars, ?Killing Time? and ?Shadow of Your Love? have more in common with L.A. punks the Germs than with Iron Maiden.  ?Anything Goes? runs on spite even as Rose fights for his right to be as kinky as he wants to be.  ?Rocker? ends with Rose out-cackling the Wicked Witch of the West - or was that Bon Scott? - as she melts down in The Wizard of Oz. The self-evident ?Reckless Life? revs up like a Harley, then plunges into traffic with blinders on.  ?Don?t need your advice,? Rose screams as if he?s kissing off Lafayette for the final time.

The only problem with these demos - Hollywood?s answer to the Sex Pistols? infamous Spunk bootleg - is that they weren?t left alone.  Instead, gratuitous remixes and overdubs turn a potentially classic nineteen-minute EP into a bloated fifty-nine-minute cash-in.  Sunset Strip semicelebrity Tracii Guns lays on some extra guitar, and ex-Cinderella drummer Fred Coury beefs up - what else? - the kick drum on a handful of tracks.  All they do is magnify just how brilliant the raw and still-squirming originals remain.
end

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2004, 07:39:54 AM »

Kind of how I felt the remixes might be on this one.  There really wasn't any more point to them.  Nice to hear the original demos are smoking though!!! Thanks for posting

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2004, 02:53:23 PM »

score this sounds awesome!

whats the release date on this thing anyways? i thought it was supposed to come out next week but i guesse not anymore.

Its going to be so incredible to go out and buy a CD with Axl sining on it with TWO songs ive never heard before... bitchin

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2004, 02:57:21 PM »

I thought it came out on June 22.  Huh
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »

I'd think the RS guy got an advance promo copy to review....The demos should sound great, but I agree that the multiple remixes are a bit unecessary..wouldve been better to just release an EP, still you know I'll be buying this next week! ok

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2004, 03:17:46 PM »

Does Rolling Stone get more idiotic by the hour?

How can u complain about a bonus track?? Its a bonus - u've already got the untouched originals to play with, they would have prefered to get less Huh

They praise the original songs - then give it 2 stars?

Weird

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2004, 03:25:49 PM »

Yeah 2 stars that sounds fair...lol

I hate to complain but is there a way we could get the second pic without a huge copyright in the middle of it? Undecided
Who is Dean Clark anyway? I pre-ordered that baby a few months ago... hihi

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2004, 03:40:36 PM »

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=cdartisttitle&searchstring=hollywood+rose&page=search&Go.x=26&Go.y=13

Yey! No importing for me! Cheesy

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2004, 04:37:49 PM »

They gave 4 stars to Contracrap, so maybe stars are a rating of lameness now?  Huh
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2004, 01:18:08 AM »

They gave 4 stars to Contracrap, so maybe stars are a rating of lameness now?  Huh

Yeah thats exactly it ok

I think this guy would of rated it higher if it only had 5 tracks

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2004, 01:36:02 AM »

Cool, I'm interested now in picking this up.
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2004, 02:40:06 AM »

anybody know or have any idea how big of a distribution this thing is gonna be? I wouldn't think it would be a major release, so it might be missing in alot of record stores, and i live in a very rural area, I guess i may have to order it online.

What Goes around comes around!
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2004, 10:45:33 AM »

Amazon.com is your best bet my friend! Wink I live in a rural area as well and I always order everything online (even my washing machine, my widescreen TV, etc.)... hihi

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2004, 02:24:02 PM »

anybody know or have any idea how big of a distribution this thing is gonna be? I wouldn't think it would be a major release, so it might be missing in alot of record stores, and i live in a very rural area, I guess i may have to order it online.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=cdartisttitle&searchstring=hollywood+rose&page=search&Go.x=26&Go.y=13

Play's got it too - and unlike amazon their stuff actually arrives Cheesy

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2004, 03:15:57 PM »

I ordered mine a week ago, I like the sound of this CD a lot.  As has been said, RS must be in a world of their own.  They have a go at a cd due to it having bonus tracks??  Don't tell me, they liked the Live like a Suicide part of Lies but thought Patience should be dropped???

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2004, 12:11:54 PM »

and if so, do you guys think it will be available at target and places like that? target sucks but is the only place still open when i get out of work.
DemocracyRose
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2004, 12:33:58 PM »

Yes, it should be out 22nd june.... peace

I dont know what target is??? Huh
AC
Rocker

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »

I ordered mine from Amazon.ca. It will be delivered to me tomorrow.

AA

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
AxlVedder
Headliner

I am not a nugget!

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2004, 04:07:41 PM »

Our Music Center, in the Hylan Plaza here in Staten Island, NY got it in today. I don't know how many copies they have left, but I picked one up. If you live in these parts head over there.

It's pretty cool to hear, very raw sounding, but cool none-the-less. I'm listening to it as we speak, and I recommend picking it up.

There is nothing to really say about it, other than what is above. It was worth the 15 bucks.

Now if only we can get the new stuff....
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2004, 04:35:00 PM »

I pre-ordered mine a long time ago. I should get it soon. I don't think it will be available at Target but you can give it a shot. I always order everything online though.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: