Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Eminem
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eminem  (Read 84354 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 03:13:28 PM »

i dig eminem!!!!!!!! His Marshall Mathers LP was not only the greatest rap record ever made but one of the best albums period! The Eminem Show only got a couple spins in my cd player as i felt he tried to change his style somewhat and go for the less controversial more mature rap stuff.

However his raps on D12's cd are great, "How Come" is fucking phenomenal! if u havent heard this and only remotely like rap music u should give it a try.

im not a huge rap fan but i do know that eminem is head and shoulders above all the G unit and those other rappers. Thing i dig most about Eminem, like him or hate him he is real, he raps about shit he has went through and u know he is authentic. I hate rappers that only brag about their ice or their cash or what they drive etc etc, that rap sucks

but eminem really tells a story in his raps and can be related to on different levels.

Ill be picking this up, now how long it stays in my cd player depends on what is on the cd.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 10:05:38 PM »

IMO i think that Rap albums are pointless because they all sing about the same sort of thing...drugs, clothes, and banging chicks...
Sorry, what's the rock n' roll cliche again?

I stopped reading this thread after that line (I only started because I'm always up for a laugh).  Some of you people are so hypocrytical it's unbelievable.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 01:44:35 AM »

IMO i think that Rap albums are pointless because they all sing about the same sort of thing...drugs, clothes, and banging chicks...
Sorry, what's the rock n' roll cliche again?

I stopped reading this thread after that line (I only started because I'm always up for a laugh).? Some of you people are so hypocrytical it's unbelievable.

Agreed.  ok

I guess it's a different thing in rap and rock, since in rap you have guys with all the bling-bling, the fancy cars, the glamourous locations, dressed in fresh new sportswear, while in rock (at least in the older rock) you had dirty-looking scumbag junkies.  They do the same thing, but rap does it more clean and rock does it more dirty.

Moving back to the main topic of this thread...

i dig eminem!!!!!!!! His Marshall Mathers LP was not only the greatest rap record ever made but one of the best albums period! The Eminem Show only got a couple spins in my cd player as i felt he tried to change his style somewhat and go for the less controversial more mature rap stuff.

However his raps on D12's cd are great, "How Come" is fucking phenomenal! if u havent heard this and only remotely like rap music u should give it a try.

im not a huge rap fan but i do know that eminem is head and shoulders above all the G unit and those other rappers. Thing i dig most about Eminem, like him or hate him he is real, he raps about shit he has went through and u know he is authentic. I hate rappers that only brag about their ice or their cash or what they drive etc etc, that rap sucks

but eminem really tells a story in his raps and can be related to on different levels.

Ill be picking this up, now how long it stays in my cd player depends on what is on the cd.

Eminem has written a few good songs.  But I think that the quality of his rhymes are way, way overrated.  Hell, today there was an article in The Toronto Star that was all about comparing Eminem to Alexander Pope, the renowned 18th century poet.  Actually, any fans of Eminem should read the article, it's interesting...there are actually some resemblances.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1093903812149&call_pageid=968867505075&col=969048864582

Thing is, though, there's not that much art to his raps.  Where rappers like Outkast managed to add some actual literary devices in their lyrics - because, after all, rap is really a form of poetry, so it might as well be a little artsy - Eminem doesn't.  He just talks, and there's no real imagination or art in the lyrics (although there is a lot of wit).  Let's compare two of rap's most popular artists (albeit in different times) - Eminem and Public Enemy - on the topic of homophobia.

Public Enemy, "Meet The G That Killed Me"

Man to man
I don't know if they can
>From what I know
The parts don't fit
(Ahh shit)
How he's sharin' a needle
With a drug addict
He don't believe he has it
(Either)
But now he does, he doesn't know cause he
Goes straight to a ho
Tell you what who was next on the but
Wild thinin' on a germ
Runnin' wild
Yo stop
But the bag popped
Meet the G that killed me

Eminem, "Criminal"

My words are like a dagger with a jagged edge
That'll stab you in the head
whether you're a fag or lez
Or the homosex, hermaph or a trans-a-vest
Pants or dress - hate fags? The answer's "yes"
Homophobic?  Nah, you're just heterophobic
Starin at my jeans, watchin my genitals bulgin (Ooh!)
That's my motherfuckin balls, you'd better let go of em
They belong in my scrotum, you'll never get hold of em
Hey, it's me, Versace
Whoops, somebody shot me!
And I was just checkin the mail
Get it?  Checkin the 'male'?

Yeah, Em's lyrics can be witty.  But they don't have that much art to them.  It's more like a comedy routine.  In that essence, Eminem is less like a modern Axl Rose and more like a modern David Lee Roth, but with a more psychotic edge.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2004, 07:40:39 PM »

ok ill admit i have "The Eminem Show", but i dont listen to it AT ALL anymore!! lol, i have to admit that album was pretty good. And when eminem trys, he can write some meaningful lyrics, such as "Sing For The Moment" which is lyrically fantastic, pretty good song btw. I doubt i will buy this new album, im not a big Eminem fan but i must admit he is a pretty good songwriter.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 05:09:20 PM »

Yeah, Em's lyrics can be witty.? But they don't have that much art to them.? It's more like a comedy routine.? In that essence, Eminem is less like a modern Axl Rose and more like a modern David Lee Roth, but with a more psychotic edge.

Some of Eminem's songs actually have art to them.  They're not just comedy routines.  Sing for Moment, for one, but there's at least five or six off The Eminem Show.  And, of course, from 8 Mile, most of his songs off the soundtrack are pretty amazing (well, the two I've heard anyway)

I know he's known more for the raps like the one you posted, but that's not the only kind he does.

Example (this one's long, too)

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 10:50:10 PM »

EMINEM GIVES BUSH BAD RAP

EMINEMhas made his dislike for US President GEORGE BUSH clear on forthcoming album 묮NCORE?/strong>.

Retailers in LA got early listens of the Dr Dre produced album at a party hosted by Interscope president Jimmy Iovine, and say that much of the content is politically charged.

One said: "The cuts we heard were very political. Eminem뭩 distaste for the Bush administration is pretty clear," reports Rolling Stone.

Longtime collaborator Dre and 50 Cent both appear on the album, which is tipped by retailers to shift over one million copies in its first week.

"I think it's possible," says Kevin Cassidy, executive VP of retail operations at Tower Records. "Prior to ? Mile?/strong>, Eminemwas a premier rapper. Now he's a premier artist."

The album, which features new single 멙ust Lose It?/strong>, may also feature a limited edition bonus disc of songs that were leaked onto the net last year.

Meh, I don't want a full CD of tracks assaulting Bush... I mean, he might not even be President by the time the CD comes out.? I expect Eminem to be pushing the limits and suprising us, not re-recording We As Americans 15 times with a different beat.

Edit - My buddy just sent me the new single, it's called "Just Lose It".  Clearly following the Eminem tradition of starting the singles off with an upbeat tune.  I'll try to post lyrics if I can find or transcribe it.  I'm going to listen a few times before I say what I think, it caught me off guard, not necessarily in a good way.  If anyone is actually interested in hearing the song send me a Msg and I'll send it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 12:08:38 AM by Sky72 » Logged
GNROSAS
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 04:30:07 AM »

I dig eminem cause he has a great voice and his attitude reminds me of Axl Rose. He has great lyrics,
I don't think i will buy his album but i will definately give it a listen. Also i liked a lot his appearance as Axl tose on the awards
DemocracyRose
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 01:53:23 AM »

Eminem has done it again... insulting other artists... (Madoona, Christina A. and M. Jackson.) ok

Anybody seen it yet??

In the end of the video, M.J(with burned hair hihi) is sitting on a bed, with children jumping around him... rofl
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:32:02 AM by DemocracyRose » Logged
Chris Misfit
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 01:57:23 AM »

Radical.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004, 04:00:27 AM »

Radical.

Oh Chris just touch my body.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 05:21:04 AM »

Eminem's still around..i thought his 15 mins were up.... Tongue

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 10:40:36 AM »

Eminem's such a quality musician, he can make fun of artists who are more successful then he is.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 02:51:07 PM »

Hasn't he made like three other videos with the same boring message?

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2004, 03:21:44 PM »

My friend told me this video was really lame, and I have to say that my reaction is somewhat mixed.  Like Gunner80 said, this is the exact same thing he's done for like three other videos, which is that he dresses up like various famous pop-culture figures and lampoons them.  He did the same thing in "My Name Is", "Without Me", and maybe one other.  The only difference is that this time, except for Bad Santa, everybody he makes fun of is from like 15 years ago: Pee Wee Herman, Arsenio Hall (I think), Madonna, Michael Jackson (the old one): it seems that Eminem has just made the most topical video of 1989.

The song itself is catchy enough, even if it seems almost exactly like "Without Me", right down to the fact that he had to kick off his new single with the same beginning of "Without Me".  Pretty unoriginal.  As I said, though, despite not being too original, it's kind of catchy.  It seems to me to be the most straightforward dance-oriented song that Em has put out yet, one of those tunes where he actively encourages people to "go out on the dancefloor", as opposed to just talking about how controversial he is.  This is probably gonna be a popular tune at high school dances for the next several months.
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 04:48:14 PM »

At the end of the day; it's not even music. Next that cheap arse-wipe will have-a-go at bands like Metallica or Slayer or GnR, if he did there would be hell to pay.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 07:47:32 PM »

I thougt the video was great!  hihi

I'm a big fan of certain rap music and he's at the top of the game.

I've heard certain rock bands doing the same thing over and over again for years, nothing wrong with that, stick to what you're good at.

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2004, 11:11:19 PM »

At the end of the day; it's not even music. Next that cheap arse-wipe will have-a-go at bands like Metallica or Slayer or GnR, if he did there would be hell to pay.

I have muchos respect for you "I don't call it rap music, I call it crap music" peeps.  It's awfully cute.

I've only seen the video once on launch.com, and it was low quality.  I can't really judge, but it does appear to be a very unoriginal video. I'm really starting to like the song though... at first I was a little sketchy, but it has it's moments (A chick cutting one on the dance floor, Em beer goggling Dre).  Typical Em, release something to get everyone laughing... next will probably be a strong single about the (hopefully former by the time it's out) President.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2004, 11:26:56 PM »

Going on 6 years... ok
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2004, 12:05:06 AM »

Going on 6 years... ok

How long were Guns N' Roses around for again?
Chris Misfit
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2004, 12:32:52 AM »

Wow, as long as Take That. He must be good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: