Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Eminem
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eminem  (Read 84890 times)
Sterlingdog
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2004, 12:46:03 AM »

I'm sure in a few more years there will someone new and popular that will make fun of Eminem.  We all know that this goes in cycles and relatively few artists stay on top for long.  Remember how popular Vanilla Ice once was?  They all crash down eventually and move to "uncool" status. 
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2004, 01:53:47 AM »

Wow, as long as Take That. He must be good.

Youve missed the point...

The point, simply put: Its no "15 minutes".  Like it or not, hes been an icon for over 5 years now.

Remember how popular Vanilla Ice once was?

You do understand theres a huge difference between Vanilla Ice and Eminem, right?  Vanilla Ice was an extremely short-live phenomenon whose success was based on primarily one hit and he had very little credibility.

Eminems been the biggest music entity out there for more than half of a decade now.  I dont have to go over his accomplishments or critical acclaim. 

Like I said, if you dont like him, fine.  But theres simply no denying how important he is in terms of the music industry and pop culture.

How long were Guns N' Roses around for again?

Huh

Well, GNR were truly active (and popular) for 6 consecutive years - '87-'93.  You could argue that they were around longer, which is true, but then youd have to take into account Eminems pre-stardom run as well, which would give him more than 10 years.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2004, 02:10:19 AM »

The point, simply put: Its no "15 minutes".  Like it or not, hes been an icon for over 5 years now.

You've missed the point.

The point: Because you have been around a while doesn't mean you get credibility. IE: Take That.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2004, 02:31:57 AM »

The point, simply put: Its no "15 minutes".? Like it or not, hes been an icon for over 5 years now.

You've missed the point.

The point: Because you have been around a while doesn't mean you get credibility. IE: Take That.

confused

Like I said, that wasnt my original point.  I responded to a posters mention of "15 minutes," something that obviously doesnt apply to Eminem.  Where in that first post did I say anything about credibility?  Exactly.

Now, Ill comment on your own misdirected point.  No, simply being around for awhile doesnt give one credibility...but obviously Eminem has plenty of credibility.  Check any mainstream publication since 1999, credibility isnt an issue with Eminem.  When youve got Rolling Stone dedicating entire issue to what an important genius you are (I believe they even compared him to the likes of John Lennon and Kurt Cobain...even Axl Rose), credibility isnt a problem.  I know all of you disagree with him being compared to John Lennon, thats not the point.  It speaks to just how credible he is.  Perhaps more importnatly, hes got about as much credibility within his own genre.  Hes higly respected by nearly every rap artist that matters. 

So, putting your own opinion of him and his music aside, where does his credibility come into question?
Chris Misfit
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2004, 02:57:44 AM »

Like I said, that wasnt my original point

I know, but it's mine. I never replied to anything you said, infact I was left wondering why you responded to my post in the first place. I never said anything about "15 minutes" nope. Why bring it up with me?

something that obviously doesnt apply to Eminem.  Where in that first post did I say anything about credibility?  Exactly.

I responded to Sky. My original post had fuck all to do with you. Look back, Sky tried to credit Eminem with being cool or something simply because he had been in the spotlight as long as GnR, I mentioned that Take That had been around that long as well, which makes his point invalid, the point that you previously missed.

I dunno why the hell we've had to sit here typing all this bullshit, but I suggest you read the thread next time.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2004, 04:05:56 AM »

I responded to Sky. My original post had fuck all to do with you. Look back, Sky tried to credit Eminem with being cool or something simply because he had been in the spotlight as long as GnR, I mentioned that Take That had been around that long as well, which makes his point invalid, the point that you previously missed.

Again, its you who has missed the point...and now youve dodged my question.

I dont think Skys point was to credit Eminem for "being cool or something" as you so maturely put it, but to prove how illogical it is for somebody to insinuate that hes a fluke or flash-in-the-pan when hes remained huge for 6 years, just like everyones favorite band.  And again, I pointed out that credibility and longevity are two different concepts that neither Sky or I tried tying together.  But lets try again since you brought it up: What makes Eminems credibility questionable, other than your own distaste for him?
Chris Misfit
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2004, 04:29:24 AM »

Again, its you who has missed the point...and now youve dodged my question.

No I haven't because your point has nothing to do with me. I don't care that he has stayed around for so long. I don't care. I was pointing out that irrelvant pop grouips can stay in the spotlight for that long, and comparing it, means nothing.

but to prove how illogical it is for somebody to insinuate that hes a fluke or flash-in-the-pan when hes remained huge for 6 years

Perhaps I've taken him up wrong then.

What makes Eminems credibility questionable, other than your own distaste for him?

I never questioned his credibility, you nutter. I said that comparing his longativity, did not make him a credibal artist.

Because you have been around a while doesn't mean you get credibility. IE: Take That.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2004, 04:44:47 AM »

I never questioned his credibility, you nutter. I said that comparing his longativity, did not make him a credibal artist.

Because you have been around a while doesn't mean you get credibility. IE: Take That.

hihi

Are you kidding?  Youve completely contradicted yourself in two consecutive sentences. 

If youre not questioning his credibility, then why are you using Skys post (which spoke nothing of credibility) to make a point of Eminems credibility? 

Youre saying "Just because Eminems been around for 6 years doesnt make him credible."

Im saying "Huh Nobody said that?  So why bring it up in a negative fashion, in effect questioning it?"

Youre saying "I never questioned his credibility."

Its really simple: If you dont question Eminems credibility, which you claim you dont...why point out "that irrelvant pop grouips can stay in the spotlight for that long?"  You know thats not the case with Eminem, its not even what Sky implied, so why bring it up?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2004, 04:48:08 AM »

There is no proven method for determining who is a "credible artist." Popularity obviously doesn't count. Critical respect doesn't count either; the Hives are garbage, no matter what the press says. Acclaim over many cultures doesn't count either; TATU and that damned Ketchup song are examples of many people, of many countries, all being stupid all at once.  rofl

I don't even think time determines who is great and who isn't. Bands like Budgie are great classic rock, but have been forgotten by most people. Losers like Boy George have not.  rant

Maybe not enough time has passed. But then again, I doubt ANYTHING we listen to now will be remembered in 200 years.  Undecided
Chris Misfit
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2004, 04:54:05 AM »

If youre not questioning his credibility, then why are you using Skys post (which spoke nothing of credibility) to make a point of Eminems credibility?

Look mate. I have no idea about Eminems creibility, I have never questioned it. Has he got some? I don't fucking know. All I am saying is, just because a band has been around, does not mean that they should be given credibility. Read my posts, I cannot make it any clearer.

Im saying " Nobody said that?  So why bring it up in a negative fashion, in effect questioning it

Jesus motherbitching christ. Did I not say "Perhaps I have taken Sky up wrong?"

why point out "that irrelvant pop grouips can stay in the spotlight for that long?"  You know thats not the case with Eminem, its not even what Sky implied, so why bring it up?

But I thought that was what he implied. I SAID I THOUGHT THAT WAS WHAT HE IMPLIED. Read man, read. I cannot be any more clearer than actually saying it, and I have. One to type, one to read, that's how internet conversations work.  hihi
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2004, 05:10:27 AM »

There is no proven method for determining who is a "credible artist."

You put enough factors together and you get an idea...Eminems background lends him "credibility."  He was an independent artist that workedhis way up from the bottom and earned the respect of his peers in the process.  Acceptance among ones peers counts for credibility.  In mainstream press hes just as revered.  Rap, rock and other journalists have generally expressed respect for his talent. 

I hate to sound like a huge Eminem fan, because Im actually not.  I appreciate his skills as a rapper and writer, but dont care for most of his music - especially lately.  Ive found most of his recent work (nearly everything post-Eminem Show) to be extremely boring and lame.  However, I feel a need to set uninformed misconceptions straight.

the Hives are garbage, no matter what the press says.

Lets not forget thats only your opinion...

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2004, 04:24:41 PM »

I wish he could come up with a new idea when he comes up with the first single and video for each album.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2004, 04:25:07 PM »

I saw it today - well MTV shows it 100 times a day

Its horrendous and the song is just as bad

I have his last three albums and i'm glad i won't need to find 10 quid to get this.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Suskind
Axl's bitch
Headliner

And he will rise tall among these shadows once again...

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 04:39:09 AM »

I think the video like Eminem himself is absolute pants.

I also think its racist. But hey whats new with Eminem. Id like to see him do a video throwing up over 2pac or snoop?

Speaking of MJ' credibility, he has more than Axl Rose right now. He still releases albums when he's being threatened with jail time. Axl takes 10 years?

Anyway I love em both!

peace

Live like a suicide?
Suskind
Axl's bitch
Headliner

And he will rise tall among these shadows once again...

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 07:52:26 AM »

BET just banned the vid. I guess I aint the only one who thinks its racist and demeaning. ok

Live like a suicide?
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2004, 10:42:12 AM »

Exactly. At the end of the day we all know that it's a waste of time talking about Eminem, even as I type I am wasting energy that could go to more useful things like wiping my arse.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2004, 01:25:18 PM »

You didn't whipe your ass after going to number 2? Dude that's gross, you really should get right on it.

I've never really had any problem with Eminem...

...He makes music that a lot of people enjoy, so what?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2004, 02:08:26 PM »

Eminem is nothing more than overrated MTV trash.  That is the bottom line.  I don't give a fu(k who he slags off in his video, he just looks more pathetic every day.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2004, 02:10:18 PM »

1. Eminem does not make music, he talks over some things which can be classed as sound effects.

2. People aren't in it for the 'music', they are simply listening to it to point out the rudest word so they can giggle to it.

3. I always maintain a high-level of hygene, thank you very much.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2004, 07:32:31 PM »

ok... it's my turn for an Eminem rant.

He pukes on MJ, shows his ass...most videos are just supposed to be jokes. His launch singles for albums are upbeat and stupid in terms of lyrical content (and the music sounds like it was produced by Barney). I understand that it's all in fun... but that's the thing. I'll listen to them a few times or dance to them, but I don't cherish them; they don't make think, and they aren't challenging. It's music for teens and kids. It's like what like Eminem responded to a question by Master T about mainstream Hip Hop and his singles "you gotta take it for what it's worth... it's worth nothing".

beats behind his songs or mainstream hip hop rant in a point formish manner:
if you think for one second that making beats is as complex as arranging a more melodic song, you're just naive. Hip Hop is obviously percussive in nature. That combined with the current way the vocal parts are arranged makes it real hard for the music to really go in different directions in one song.
A person with no musical skills whatsoever can create loops on a computer a lot easier than trying to learn an instrument. Is there anybody in Hip Hop that can come close to Prince's skill? Andre 3000 is the first person to really bring something fresh to the mainstream with a diverse album with real instruments, but where are the others following along? Master P once told Rick James he only wished he had an ounce of Rick's talent.

I'm just waiting for someone to really energize hip hop. All we have now are recycled loops from the 80s... not that mainstream rock is any better.  guess I just prefer melody
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: