Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Eminem
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eminem  (Read 84856 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2004, 11:20:10 PM »

He pukes on MJ, shows his ass...most videos are just supposed to be jokes. His launch singles for albums are upbeat and stupid in terms of lyrical content (and the music sounds like it was produced by Barney). I understand that it's all in fun... but that's the thing. I'll listen to them a few times or dance to them, but I don't cherish them; they don't make think, and they aren't challenging. It's music for teens and kids. It's like what like Eminem responded to a question by Master T about mainstream Hip Hop and his singles "you gotta take it for what it's worth... it's worth nothing".

His next single, called "Mosh!," promises to be more provocative since its an attack on the President.? Hopefully its good, too.

Is there anybody in Hip Hop that can come close to Prince's skill? Andre 3000 is the first person to really bring something fresh to the mainstream with a diverse album with real instruments, but where are the others following along?

I somewhat agree with your general idea.? Hip-hop producing doesnt necessarily require the same musical skill level as most traditional musical compositions (although you could argue the same about a lot of rock, particularly punk music), but thats really not the point.? Rap is inherently derivative in nature (like most music really), but theres still obviously a level of skill and creativity there, its just different.? DJ Premier cant play a guitar solo like Jimmy Page, and Jimmy Page cant chop up a sample and create a beat like Premier.? Its up to the listener to decide whether one appeals to them, but the point is theyre both completely different, they both require skill and they both appeal to people.?

About Andre 3000 being the first to use real instruments in mainstream, thats very, very wrong.? Now, your definition of mainstream might differ from mine but Stetsasonic, formed in 1981, used a live band.? The Roots have used a live band since the early 90s and continue to do so.? RZA used live violins to awesome effect on "Reunited," and violinist Miri Ben Ari is appearing all over new rap songs (produced mostly by Kanye West).? Outkast (not just Andre) have been using live instruments.? Then theres the countless producers (especially RZA) that use pianos, keyboards and synthesizers to create completely new, or mildly derivative songs.? Its much more a part of hip-hop than you, or many others realize.

Master P once told Rick James he only wished he had an ounce of Rick's talent.

Thats largely because Master P is marginally talented.

I'm just waiting for someone to really energize hip hop. All we have now are recycled loops from the 80s... not that mainstream rock is any better.?

Gotta agree with this, except for the bolded part.? That would be accurate if this were 1997, but nowadays everything is synthesizer bullshit.? Or sped-up soul samples (which Im actually a sucker for, and have plenty of melody since theyre based on great soul songs).? Although I personally dont look for much melody in rap.? If its there, great.? But Im just as content with Chuck D yelling over sirens and chaos, or Rakim rapping over nothing more than a hard breakbeat.? Very little new rap appeals to me right now...and the same goes for new rock.? no
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 11:22:58 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2004, 01:59:52 PM »

Look back, Sky tried to credit Eminem with being cool or something simply because he had been in the spotlight as long as GnR, I mentioned that Take That had been around that long as well, which makes his point invalid, the point that you previously missed.

Just to clarify... I was pointing out that a Guns N' Roses fan was talking about Eminem's "15 minutes of fame", when they were both at the top of their respective genre for the same amount of time (not that the amount of time makes someone "cool" or "credible", but that it's clearly not "15 minutes").

Don't read into it so much just because I'm an Eminem fan.
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2004, 03:01:00 PM »

"About Andre 3000 being the first to use real instruments in mainstream, thats very, very wrong.  Now, your definition of mainstream might differ from mine but Stetsasonic, formed in 1981, used a live band.  The Roots have used a live band since the early 90s and continue to do so.  RZA used live violins to awesome effect on "Reunited," and violinist Miri Ben Ari is appearing all over new rap songs (produced mostly by Kanye West).  Outkast (not just Andre) have been using live instruments.  Then theres the countless producers (especially RZA) that use pianos, keyboards and synthesizers to create completely new, or mildly derivative songs.  Its much more a part of hip-hop than you, or many others realize."

By mainstream I mean rreeaaal mainstream, which is what Outkast have become. They were around for a long time, their last record blew them up a bit, but their latest really vaulted them to the top. I think it's because things were getting stale, people liked something different. RZA is great, I love his instrumental stuff and his sound in general. I'd like to see what would happen if a band like Air would team up with some hip hop group.

And about the new Eminem single "mosh!", hopefully it can contribute something instead of just ranting. Because ranting is as far as most a lot of political songs go... offer a solution or something!!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2004, 04:43:24 PM »

Jackson Seeks Ban on Eminem's New Video
(AP, 10/12/2004 3:15 PM)

Michael Jackson is reportedly angered by the way he is portrayed in rapper Eminem 's recently released video "Just Lose It." The pop singer is said to be so upset that he has asked networks to remove the video from their rotations.

"Michael Jackson is very angry. He feels that Eminem has crossed the line," Jackson representative Ramone Bain told the Daily News in Tuesday editions. "Michael is calling on all networks to pull the video."

In the video, Eminem appears dressed mockingly as Jackson with a group of boys in the background, jumping. Then he sings the lyric in reference to Jackson's child molestation allegations: "Come here little kiddie, on my lap. Guess who's back with a brand new rap..."

Later in the video Eminem also ridicules plastic surgery done on Jackson's nose, and an accident in which Jackson's hair caught on fire while filming a Pepsi commercial in 1984.

So far, Black Entertainment Television has agreed to pull the video, and was expected on Tuesday to announce that it is removing the video.

"Michael feels the video is disrespectful and offensive...it's one thing to spoof someone, it's another to be completely insensitive and disrespectful," said Bain.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2004, 05:46:56 PM »

I somewhat agree with your general idea.? Hip-hop producing doesnt necessarily require the same musical skill level as most traditional musical compositions (although you could argue the same about a lot of rock, particularly punk music), but thats really not the point.? Rap is inherently derivative in nature (like most music really), but theres still obviously a level of skill and creativity there, its just different.? DJ Premier cant play a guitar solo like Jimmy Page, and Jimmy Page cant chop up a sample and create a beat like Premier.? Its up to the listener to decide whether one appeals to them, but the point is theyre both completely different, they both require skill and they both appeal to people.?

Yeah, but it takes years of practice and hard work to learn how to play guitar like Jimmy Page, and comparatively little time to learn how to chop up a sample and create a beat.  And let's not forget that Page knew was a wizard in the studio, and produced all Led Zeppelin's albums.  I just think, collectively, he had more talent by any measure.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2004, 06:18:33 PM »

Yeah, but it takes years of practice and hard work to learn how to play guitar like Jimmy Page, and comparatively little time to learn how to chop up a sample and create a beat.

Not necessarily...

It depends on the person's natural ability.? Theyre two different methods of music-making, and two different sensibilities.? Its possible that as amazing a guitarist as somebody like Jimmy Page is, he might not have any ability with sampling, chopping, scratching, etc.? But thats not wha he does, so it doesnt matter.? ?

I just think, collectively, he had more talent by any measure.

Thats what it comes down to, which one you find more appealing and worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 06:20:45 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2004, 02:05:16 PM »

Wow, as long as Take That. He must be good.

Youve missed the point...

The point, simply put: Its no "15 minutes".? Like it or not, hes been an icon for over 5 years now.

Yeah Huge icon for 3-6 years old kids

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2004, 09:42:24 PM »

Eminem's Video For Anti-Bush Song 'Mosh' Hits The Internet

Michael Moore, the "Fahrenheit 9/11" filmmaker who tried his hand at directing music videos with Rage Against the Machine, would certainly approve of Eminem's new clip, "Mosh," which has just hit the Internet.

A scathing indictment of President Bush and the war in Iraq (see "Em Changes Targets From Jacko To Bush On New Track 'Mosh' "), the animated video begins with the jarring image of a commercial airliner flying over a school and then exploding offscreen. The point of view then zooms into the school, where Eminem is reading a children's book to a class in a scene reminiscent of the minutes following the 9-11 attacks, when Bush was at a Florida elementary school reading to second graders. Eminem is holding his book upside down.

From there, "Mosh" moves to Eminem's apartment, where the walls are covered with articles critical of the Bush administration and its policies. Filled with anger, he puts on gloves and dons a hooded jacket. Clips of Em rapping the track are then interspersed with scenes of domestic problems facing the country, such as racial profiling (an animated Lloyd Banks is harassed by police) and poverty (an inner-city family receives an eviction notice as their TV set shows Bush promising tax cuts for the wealthy).

"Mosh" portrays Eminem as a powerful rebellious figure who just by using his voice and music has the ability to mobilize people who are fed up with the president. With his following uniformly dressed in dark hoodies, the group looks to be storming toward the White House but actually end up signing up to vote. At the same time in the song, Em talks about the people assembling to disarm what he calls the real weapon of mass destruction: George W. Bush.

A pro-vote message is tagged on at the end of the clip, directed by Ian Inaba of the Guerrilla News Network, which is hosting the video at GNN.tv. Eminem's Encore is due November 16.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen the video yet, but I just downloaded the song.  My personal opinion?  I think it sucks...  It sounds like a second-rate version of "White America".  The beat isn't good enough to carry the whole song, Eminem's flow is too slow, and I'm not overly impressed with the lyrics.  Anyone else had a change to listen to it?
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »

watch the video, i think it may influence your opinion...
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2004, 09:13:27 PM »

Okay, the video is very atmospheric and well-done for an animated web video, but the song itself is a little on the weak side.  It didn't really jump out at me or anything.  Still, at least he's doing something different, lyrically.

Don't think it'll age too well, though.  At least not if Kerry wins the election.
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2004, 09:37:05 PM »

Those who give a rat's ass about m&m aren't even registered or old enough.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »

Poor Emimen - guess album sales have collapsed and he needs to despertately convince people he's ''controversial'' again

His whole career has been based on him being alledgedly controversial - but the fact is - he isn't, whats he done that genuinely controversial?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2004, 01:14:04 PM »

I like eminem, he has an interesting way about him.. Most people just bash him because he does those silly vids, but not everyone listens to the albums... I think he's very talented and it has some shock value, he just says what he likes..

We're all fans of a guy who rants and speaks his mind, so I think it's all good..
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2004, 01:21:22 PM »

We're all fans of a guy who rants and speaks his mind, so I think it's all good..

But Axl is controversial he doesn't think to himself 'what can i do to turn head's?' - whereas Eminem needs songs about killing his girlfriend and stupid videos - its all so forced

Additionally when Axl speaks his mind he usually is making a point of some value - Eminem just has a go at people who have a go at him.....but only because he deliberatley provoked them!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2004, 01:40:39 PM »

I don't think he needs anything, he chooses to sing about issues he doesn't like.. His mother, his problems, his political views, fcc, and things of that nature.. Even lose yourself is based on his "battles" like in 8mile.. Alot of Mc's have said that song alone describes it perefectly..

Do you ever think axl forces stuff on people, sometimes it's a bit selfindulgent with no special message, failed relationships and things of that nature, being anti press..
Different issues but all the same..

I enjoyed his new video/song with his anti bush campaign..
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2004, 01:58:43 PM »

I don't understand, this is a music message board yet you talk about Eminem?

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2004, 05:29:18 PM »

I don't understand, this is a music message board yet you talk about Eminem?
wow.  profoundly original.

Anyway...I was just thinking, upon the return of GN'R, its probably inevitable that Axl will fall under the parodies of Eminem.  I mean, don't you think its only a matter of time before he makes some kind of wisecrack about Axl?  I wonder what kind of showdown would pursue...just a thought

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2004, 08:10:39 PM »

Anyway...I was just thinking, upon the return of GN'R, its probably inevitable that Axl will fall under the parodies of Eminem.? I mean, don't you think its only a matter of time before he makes some kind of wisecrack about Axl?? I wonder what kind of showdown would pursue...just a thought

Well, he already dressed up as Axl at the VMAs.  Isn't that enough for the time being?

A feud between Axl and Eminem would be pretty cool, but it probably won't happen.
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2004, 09:46:41 PM »

Anyway...I was just thinking, upon the return of GN'R, its probably inevitable that Axl will fall under the parodies of Eminem.? I mean, don't you think its only a matter of time before he makes some kind of wisecrack about Axl?? I wonder what kind of showdown would pursue...just a thought

Well, he already dressed up as Axl at the VMAs.? Isn't that enough for the time being?

A feud between Axl and Eminem would be pretty cool, but it probably won't happen.
Shows how much tv i've been watching...that one passed right under the radar.   I think you're right though, Axl is getting up in the years to get in a fight with a 20's something rapper.

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2004, 10:09:20 PM »

Shows how much tv i've been watching...that one passed right under the radar.   I think you're right though, Axl is getting up in the years to get in a fight with a 20's something rapper.

Actually I think it was the MTV Movie Awards?  Some of the guys from D12 were dressed up as Buckethead and Slash too.  I thought it suited the performance, pretty funny.

Oh and Izzy, Eminem was rapping about stuff like killing his wife BEFORE he even got signed to a major label.  That's the thing, nobody would take a chance on him except Dr. Dre.  The funny thing is, you would probably be one of these people that ALSO say "Aww, rap music is just a bunch of guys talking about their bling and their hoes".  Well Eminem DOESN'T do that... he does something completely different, and you say THAT is bullshit.  It seems like your comments are based on what you've seen in videos like "My Name Is" and "Without Me" (or "Just Lose It").  If you actually listened to an album, you'd see that there's maybe 1 or 2 of those tracks an album.

I still haven't seen this video, but I'm going to track it down now. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: