Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:54:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228002 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When would promotion start + Is November Really a Good Idea?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: When would promotion start + Is November Really a Good Idea?  (Read 14125 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2004, 08:44:54 PM »

You can't leave out Judas Priestas competition.

Uhh.... Sure you can?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2004, 09:18:41 PM »

Sooo Sorry, timothy, I didnt know about Judas Priestas.? Embarrassed

but its the U.S. that really counts.?

Back to the ?86/7, GNR got a break in the UK first, then US.

Besides, according to the management, (pre GH)?
Global sales of more than 80mil - US sales of 40mil = outside US sales = more than half
How can you ignore this? headscratch

I never thought you?re the, hum, ultranationalist. I'm sad... Sad

Useless Note: Chinese population is 150 million. Next Olympic will be hold in Beijing.? peace(Completely irrelevant to the topic)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2004, 09:51:06 PM »

Back to the ?86/7, GNR got a break in the UK first, then US.

Whats the point?  The U.S. market is still what matters most.

Besides, according to the management, (pre GH)?
Global sales of more than 80mil - US sales of 40mil = outside US sales = more than half
How can you ignore this? headscratch

I didnt...I said that the U.S. is the most important market for American artists...I didnt say that global sales werent important, but the the U.S. is where it matters most.  And that statistic proves my point...40 million in the U.S. alone = 40 million in every other country on the planet.  An American artists primary target for success is America...you would think this is obvious.   

I never thought you?re the, hum, ultranationalist. I'm sad... Sad

Huh

Okay?

Useless Note: Chinese population is 150 million. Next Olympic will be hold in Beijing.? peace(Completely irrelevant to the topic)

Huh

1. Chinas population is over 1 billion

2. Youre right, its completely irrelevant to the topic.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2004, 11:16:46 PM »

As long as its not on nov.2....

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2004, 11:40:04 PM »

China's population is actually over 2 billion.

Anyway, it won't happen in November, so enough.  We would have heard things by now.

Knowing that Eminem is releasing an album, you can be guaranteed that GNR won't.

We're not going to see this album until next year, at the absolute earliest.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2004, 11:57:05 PM »

China's population is actually over 2 billion.

Thank you for the input, Professor...after all, youre known here for your staggering intelligence.

However, the CIAs website has the Chinese poulation at 1,298,847,624 (July 2004 est.).
SLCPUNK
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2004, 12:24:48 AM »

It ain't coming out in November......no way.... hihi
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2004, 03:23:54 AM »

Dwarfed by Eminem? You expect Guns N' Roses to hide away from him.? I can't see him being much of a problem.? If you're gonna buy both albums you will and anyone who'd choose Eminem over GN'R doesn't deserve the album anyway.? You really think the board members here want the album delaying even more every month some artist is releasing an album,? GN'R will release when good and ready and should not plan their release depending on others.

Face reality...Even the combined million-plus first-week sales of the UYI records sold during the height of GNR doesnt match the nearly two million MMLPs sold in its first week.? The Eminem Show two years later sold something like 1.2 million its first week.? This next one will be about as big.? Eminem now is GNR in 1991.

Who cares how much they sold in first week? UYI's sold 14 million overall (in US) and  Eminem's THE EMINEM SHOW 9 million overall (in US) ...

And i don't see eminem playing front of 30000- 70000 people...so eminem isn't GNR in 91

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2004, 05:11:35 AM »

Guns n' Roses were bigger than Eminem. Eminem wouldn't be able to do a world stadium tour come on...it's impossible he is not enought successfull to do it. Would you see Eminem sell out 3 times the tokyo dome? ahahaha!! and would you see him make a concert in front of 75.000/90.000 people in south America at every gig? no way...

Guns n' Roses were fucking huge in the early 90's, we speak about one of the most intensive success of History. Eminem is huge, but not as huge as GN'R back in the days. Just take a look on the record sales. Even Britney Spears hasn't sold as many records as Guns n' Roses in their glory days...

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2004, 06:18:36 AM »

Who cares how much they sold in first week? UYI's sold 14 million overall (in US)

Right...two seperate albums selling 7 million each.

Just take a look on the record sales.

The Eminem Show has been out for only two years...That album was certified 7 times platinum in 8 months.? 8X platinum in 1 year.? It hasnt been certified in over a year.? The UYIs?? 7X platinum in 6 years.? Although they also havent been certified in about 7 years, which would probably make a significant difference.? But I think you get the point.? Eminems success relative to Guns' during their prime (which is the fair way to compare since GNR has about 8 - 12 years on Eminem) is not only comparable, but sales-wise, even bigger.? Its right there - Eminem Show: 8X Plat. in 1 year.? UYI I: 4X Plat. in 1 year.? It takes another album in UYI II to match that 8X.? ? ?

The Marshall Mathers LP is nearly diamond (10 times platinum) in only 4 years...which actually makes it a faster-selling album than even Appetite For Destruction, which didnt hit diamond status until 6 years after its release.? Will Eminems albums have the lasting sales GNRs have?? We cant say since hes still in his prime.? But I think Ive proved my point about his success rivaling, and actually surpassing GNRs when it comes to sales.

And i don't see eminem playing front of 30000- 70000 people...so eminem isn't GNR in 91

Im not sure what Eminems live numbers are...Im sure youre right, GNR were a bigger live act than Eminem.? However, Phish probably is too, and would anybody consider Phish bigger than Eminem?

Like I said, Im not sure what level of success Eminem has when it comes to live shows, but I would say that starring in a blockbuster movie (about his life no less), pushing the soundtrack to nearly 5X Platinum (one on which hes only featured on a handful of songs), producing numerous hit songs for other artists, launching another 8-million-plus-selling superstar, winning Grammies & Oscars, etc., etc. kind of makes up for not playing to 70,000 people for a few gigs.

And please dont misunderstand this post as simply glorifying Eminem and discrediting Guns, because as much as it seems like it, thats not what its about.? Its about this myth that Eminems success isnt as big or important as it really is, or that its not even comparable to GNRs in their prime - and proving it wrong.? Facts are facts.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 06:20:20 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2004, 07:22:16 AM »

stop thinking as if USA is the only country in the world. When I speak about record sales I speak about worldwide sales. Who cares about US sales only? It means nothing for me and for all those who don't live in America. Absolutely nothing. Worlwide sales are much more significant than US sales only, this is the real deal.
I love America but I will never understand why Americans are so selfish and always look to their little ass. wake up, you are not alone, there are another countries in the world around you. Something called "the world"...
This is a very selfish behaviour in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 07:27:31 AM by nesquick » Logged

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2004, 07:22:31 AM »

I really think that at least in Europe, Eminem and GN'R have a pretty different target audience and fanbase. So I really don't think that their sales would be hurt too much here.. And at least in Finland Eminem has not been as popular lately, as he was let's say from when his movie came out to a year back from that. Then you really couldn't ignore him even if you wanted to since he was in every form of media out there.

So at least in Europe the christmas/November/December could work. I wasn't sure about GN'R ever being big here again but as the sales from the Greatest Hits and the attendance figures from the VR show without almost any promotion showed, people haven't forgotten GN'R. I'm really not sure if this is the case in the US, since I think you have very different music scene there if I've understood correctly. I mean when I sometimes see adds or some stories about who's big out there, it's mostly the same (the huge stars will always be huge) but there are some names that make me go "what the fuck is that band?"

I think in the Europe U2 is the band that could more severely step on GN'R's toes... But even their fanbase is pretty different. But to an average consumer U2 might come before GN'R. (that is, if my memory serves me correctly and U2 are releasing a record in a few months.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
madagas
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2004, 07:26:04 AM »

The simple fact of the matter is Gnr had two full recording sessions for full length releases. One session gave us two albums (UYI'S), really three if you include Spaghetti (outside of Gilby redoing Izzy's parts) and one session gave us AFD. The amount of record sales in relation to the small amount of formal recording time is truly phenomenal. Eminem is huge as well...no doubt as big as Guns back in the day. However, Booker, I believe you are selling GNR'S accomplishments a little short. UYI to me is just one long drawn out album. Geffen got a lot of bang for the buck out of Guns. Now, Chinese is a different story.... hihi
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2004, 07:29:51 AM »

Guns n' Roses were bigger worldwide back in the days than Eminem is today. Guns n' Roses sold about 80 million records worldwide in 5 or 6 years of full carreer (1987/93). That's absolutely enormous. They were the Rolling Stones of the late 80's/ early 90's and they sold out stadiums everywhere on the earth (America, Europe, South America, Asia, Australia...). Excuse me but Eminem is very far of that in a worldwide point of vue. I think he hasn't even sold half of GN'R record sales.
and you know why? because Eminem is rap music, the target is just young teenagers or young men and women. When they grow-up, they don't listen to it anymore because it's just a music for teenagers. Guns n' Roses were (and still is) a Rock band. and Rock n' Roll is universal. Everybody enjoy Rock music (beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, u2, queen, guns n' Roses, nirvana, etc...), teenagers to mature men and women.? it's just a global music, just classic. that's why rock artists will always sell more than rappers and will always be bigger.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 07:58:41 AM by nesquick » Logged

madagas
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2004, 07:36:30 AM »

That is a very good point. I am not sure Em will be selling records 10-15 years from now. Major rock acts do and will...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 07:39:08 AM by madagas » Logged
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2004, 07:41:37 AM »

What we're talking about, is whether November is a good idea, and if so, when would the promotion start.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2004, 07:49:45 AM »

alright. november? I don't think so. December? maybe. In my opinion? not before 2005.
I feel good for U2. in my opinion they are going to be big again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 08:00:15 AM by nesquick » Logged

Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

No album this year   Cry

EEEERRRR Little boy
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2004, 04:22:28 PM »

No album this year? ?Cry

Oh, boo-hoo!

Hey nay-sayers the album is coming out before the end of this year.

If it comes out in 2005, then I won't be suprised but as of now, it will be coming out in 2004.
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2004, 04:26:48 PM »

No album this year? ?Cry

Oh, boo-hoo!

Hey nay-sayers the album is coming out before the end of this year.

If it comes out in 2005, then I won't be suprised but as of now, it will be coming out in 2004.

OK, I'll bite. What month will it come out this year and how do you know?  Huh
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: