Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Since I Don't Have You" = LAME
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Since I Don't Have You" = LAME  (Read 9958 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 08:18:36 PM »

Id be careful calling anything that gnr has done lame.? If you dont like them then why bother coming here.

Dude, did you even bother reading the second paragraph of my post?  They're my favourite band in the world, for crying out loud.  I was just saying that this particular video was pretty lame.  I like the song, but I don't think they should have released it as a single, that's all.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 08:35:31 PM »

Lennonisgod and mikkimaka are right...Axl's chick in that video makes it all worth it!  She is the hottest chick I've seen in a GNR video, without a doubt.  Simply gorgeous!!!

I give this song plenty of airtime personally...but Mattman, you are right, overall, the video falls short of my GNR video expectations. 

-Axl4Prez2004

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 09:34:44 PM »

I was just on Yahoo Launch taking a look at the Guns N' Roses section.? I noticed they had the video for "Since I Don't Have You", and I'd never seen it before, so I checked it out.? And...it was bad.? I mean, really, really lame.? I GUESS it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, but to me it just seemed kinda stupid.? It seems to depict the band on vacation or something, which is not really what I like to see in a video by the "bad boys of rock 'n' roll".? The song itself has always been for me a pleasant little tune, but the fact that they released it as a single is beyond me.

After that, I decided to watch the video for "Sweet Child O' Mine" again.? And, as always, I was once again blown away by the incredible performance, the band's chemistry, their earnestness, and the great music.? It seemed rough, and totally beyond cliche.? It was an image of a band I wanted to be in, everything that was great about Guns N' Roses.? Watching the video for "Since You Don't Have You", it almost makes me sympathize with the view of Kurt Cobain of GN'R as bloated corporate rock.? Watching them there in a silly video cavorting with women on a hillside or something, with only three original members, is a big difference from seeing the power of the original 5 (which Matt and Gilby, great as they are, could never recapture).? I wish the original Guns hadn't ended on such a sour note...

Personally, I find the video to be one of the most important ever put out by GNR. The video seems to "finish" the story of the old GNR - a band that got too into XS and as a reasult, the poverty was no longer around to keep them together. Slash was also "drifting" on a separate musical path, while AXL effectivly let his demons get the best of him and sink his own rock n' roll ride.
The song is a great hard rock cover of a 1950's do-wop song BTW.
SIDHY may not be the best song on TSIO (that title would go in my opinion to "Down on the Farm), but definitly a great song and the best for a video at that point and time.
The video definitly has you in suspense on whether AXL's rock n' roll ride will RISE again?!
 ok
MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 10:04:21 PM »

I was just on Yahoo Launch taking a look at the Guns N' Roses section.? I noticed they had the video for "Since I Don't Have You", and I'd never seen it before, so I checked it out.? And...it was bad.? I mean, really, really lame.? I GUESS it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, but to me it just seemed kinda stupid.? It seems to depict the band on vacation or something, which is not really what I like to see in a video by the "bad boys of rock 'n' roll".? The song itself has always been for me a pleasant little tune, but the fact that they released it as a single is beyond me.

After that, I decided to watch the video for "Sweet Child O' Mine" again.? And, as always, I was once again blown away by the incredible performance, the band's chemistry, their earnestness, and the great music.? It seemed rough, and totally beyond cliche.? It was an image of a band I wanted to be in, everything that was great about Guns N' Roses.? Watching the video for "Since You Don't Have You", it almost makes me sympathize with the view of Kurt Cobain of GN'R as bloated corporate rock.? Watching them there in a silly video cavorting with women on a hillside or something, with only three original members, is a big difference from seeing the power of the original 5 (which Matt and Gilby, great as they are, could never recapture).? I wish the original Guns hadn't ended on such a sour note...

Personally, I find the video to be one of the most important ever put out by GNR. The video seems to "finish" the story of the old GNR - a band that got too into XS and as a reasult, the poverty was no longer around to keep them together. Slash was also "drifting" on a separate musical path, while AXL effectivly let his demons get the best of him and sink his own rock n' roll ride.
The song is a great hard rock cover of a 1950's do-wop song BTW.
SIDHY may not be the best song on TSIO (that title would go in my opinion to "Down on the Farm), but definitly a great song and the best for a video at that point and time.
The video definitly has you in suspense on whether AXL's rock n' roll ride will RISE again?!
 ok
MNR
Exactly.

This was the perfect video to end the old Guns N' Roses. Wanna know why? The video just signals so many things coming to an end. I can see this especially at the end, when Axl crashes into water and nearly drowns. It tells you subconsciencely that Axl will fall, while the rest of GN'R drifts away from him by the hand of their inner demons, but Axl does not die, he swims underwater giving a smile to the camera as if he's saying "I will come back, don't worry". I know this is totally made up on my part but I always see this everytime I see this video. It just a passive way to a harsh good-bye.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2004, 05:16:11 AM »

This was the perfect video to end the old Guns N' Roses. Wanna know why? The video just signals so many things coming to an end. I can see this especially at the end, when Axl crashes into water and nearly drowns. It tells you subconsciencely that Axl will fall, while the rest of GN'R drifts away from him by the hand of their inner demons, but Axl does not die, he swims underwater giving a smile to the camera as if he's saying "I will come back, don't worry". I know this is totally made up on my part but I always see this everytime I see this video. It just a passive way to a harsh good-bye.

Fuck yeah man ok ok ok

When me n' my mates (gnr fans) were watchin' it on DVD thats the kinda shit we laughed about, we pretty much said what you just said, it's a funny fuckin' film clip guys.  HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!

The first time i watched it i laughed my arse off for ages, that smile from Axl at the end hihi n' when the devil laughes n' waves goodbye, funny as hell ok ok

I knew heaps of you guys would hate it but chill out, the DVD has all these cool as serious film clips n' finishes with SIDHY, i love it. I wouldnt call it LAME, just a band havin' fun in there film clips for a change!!!!  But not just that, i really do like it ok peace

Axl gives a smile like, i will be back,.......then Slash throws his pick!!!!
ironic hihi

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2004, 05:23:59 AM »

We can bash TSI like this due to the fact that guns split after that album. However, I think that with that song/video and pretty much the rest of TSI, Guns were just having fun doing some covers. It was just a laugh after the more serious business of UYI, and a stop gap for fans before the next album.

If GNR had released more albums after that we wouldn't be discussing TSI as often as we do, and it wouldn't be seen as a poor ending for a great band.

Personally, I like SIDHY. Funny video too.  Grin

@#$%Funker
Eric
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 09:21:19 AM »

Lame choice for the first single, just never really cared for it-used to skip over it when listening to TSI. Guns n Roses have always done too many covers, anyway.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2004, 02:01:05 PM »

IMO, can't go wrong with Gary Oldman in your video... ok
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 04:35:51 PM »

I love both the song and the video. I especially find the parts with Axl and Jennifer Driver in the bedroom visually pleasing.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2004, 05:06:28 PM »

Kurt Cobain on a chandelier was cooler? hihi hihi

Kurt Cobain headless was even funnier.

what the hell are you onna bout? lol

and there wasn't any gnr vids on launch last time i checked headscratch

It's evolution, baby!
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 05:10:46 PM »

Kurt Cocaine sucks plain and simple.  Since I don't have You is GN'R's worst single, and worst video.  I can tolerate it, but I NEVER play The Spaghetti Incident.  I can't believe GN'R would actually release an album like this ecspecially one to break up on.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2004, 05:13:01 PM »

I liked Since I Don't Have You.  It certainly was a highlite on TSI.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2004, 05:15:49 PM »

I liked Since I Don't Have You.? It certainly was a highlite on TSI.

what other videos did they make off of TSI?

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2004, 05:18:50 PM »

non, i wish they did one for Aint it Fun with Monroe, would have been cool as ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: