Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Prince
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince  (Read 82369 times)
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »

That song's cute - I like it. It's also so pleasantly, effortlessly fun, it shames pretty much everything on 3121, IMO. I enjoyed the album at first, but it's the only Prince record that's really lost its luster for me.

i agree with you about 3121 at first i was in love with it but now i think its okay.

i busted out The Gold Experience recently and i dont know what was wrong with me when i first heard it cuz i wasnt too impressed and i had trouble getting into it but now i love it. Its almost as good as Purple Rain in my book.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2006, 03:44:41 PM »

Ha, I had the same experience with The Gold Experience - I loved half of it, and simply felt "meh" about the rest. Now I love the whole damn thing.

That album is spectacular!  ok

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2006, 11:41:34 PM »

i'm still having trouble getting into Sign O' the Times tho surprsingly. i accidently deleted it at college but i'm gonna re-upload the abum when i get home cuz i have the hard copy there.? i was able to get Emancipation used for 3 bucks on amazon(6 with shipping) so im pretty excited for that.

i'm a football fan but i have to say i'm almost more excited to see Prince play the halftime show than for the actual game! LOL

hes such an energetic performer, i cant wait.

flicknn
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »

I first heard of prince in 1985 , with purple rain , have iit on dvd , have a record , with no record player

the dude gets funky on guitar
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2006, 01:24:55 AM »

yEAH 3121 is ok........ I think its the first Prince album where he kind of followed what was popular instead of doing his own thing.

The song Fury is awesome live but on 3121 the guitar is way too low in the mix.

Emancipation is my personal favorite Prince album

If u love ballads and love songs, Disc 2 is one of the greatest ballad/love discs ever.

Wait till u hear his cover version of "I cant Make you Love me" and "One of us"

Emancipation has Dance, R and B, Soul, Rock, Jazz, Funk, Techno *the human body* 

I love every song on every album

Stand out tracks in my opinion are:

First Disc:
Jam of the year
Right back here in my arms
Somebody's somebody
Get your Groove On
Betcha By Golly Wow
Courtin Time
White Mansion
Damned if i do, damned if i dont
I cant make u love me
Mr Happy
In this Bed I scream

Disc 2
Every song is amazing

Disc 3
Slave
New World
Face Down
La la la la means I love you
Sleep Around
My Computer
One Of us
Emancipation

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2006, 06:00:30 PM »

yEAH 3121 is ok........ I think its the first Prince album where he kind of followed what was popular instead of doing his own thing.

The song Fury is awesome live but on 3121 the guitar is way too low in the mix.

Emancipation is my personal favorite Prince album

If u love ballads and love songs, Disc 2 is one of the greatest ballad/love discs ever.

Wait till u hear his cover version of "I cant Make you Love me" and "One of us"

Emancipation has Dance, R and B, Soul, Rock, Jazz, Funk, Techno *the human body*?

I love every song on every album

Stand out tracks in my opinion are:

First Disc:
Jam of the year
Right back here in my arms
Somebody's somebody
Get your Groove On
Betcha By Golly Wow
Courtin Time
White Mansion
Damned if i do, damned if i dont
I cant make u love me
Mr Happy
In this Bed I scream

Disc 2
Every song is amazing

Disc 3
Slave
New World
Face Down
La la la la means I love you
Sleep Around
My Computer
One Of us
Emancipation

that sounds awesome i cant wait till i get it.

i got Musicology today and i really really like it. i like it more than 3121 surprisingly. i think its much more consistent than 3121.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 06:06:50 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2006, 03:11:59 AM »

Any Prince Fan that wants a challenge, I recommend picking up "The rainbow Children"

This album has amazing Guitars, amazing Jazz and is a crazy concept album that takes bunches and bunches of listens to fully appreciate.

Start with

1+1+1=3, She Loves Me 4 me, the Everlasting Now and Last December

Its a great album but like i said, it takes some listens to fully get into and not everyone will cause its just a very strange album.

I love it however, it got me through some extremely rough times.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2006, 03:53:13 AM »

I have had two of the ultimate Prince boolegs before.

One was called "one Nite alone" Piano and voice

There are only a few thousand copies in existence that I know of and its an entire new album with just Prince on piano with some minimal guitar thrown in.

I owned two copies of this but got in a pinch and sold them both on Ebay

I got like 90 bucks a piece for these but now I regret selling them.

I also have another amazing CD from Prince called "the Truth" its a stripped down acoustic album of brand new songs that are amazing.

Some bastard stole this out of my car though and Im gonna have to order a new "Crystal Ball" album to get it.

Risico
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2006, 03:16:49 PM »

The Truth is an amazing, amazing CD - Which is a wierd thing to say, because as you said, it's really stripped down.

It was the only disc in my Crystal Ball set that was irreperably cracked when I dropped the case one fateful time - So I've gotta order a new one aswell.  ok

"Don't Play Me" is one of Prince's best, and most appropriate, songs of the '90s.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2006, 03:26:04 PM »

Wow, I just noticed this thread. I am about 6-7 months late.  But I am a big Prince fan. I have seen him play live over 30 times, 27 times at Paisley Park.  Its cool to see some fellow gunners who also dig him and can appreciate his absolute musical genious.  3121 did reinvigorate me as a fan, as I found Musicology and Rainbow Children too religious and political, although I loved the music. 3121 brought back the funk in a big way.

If anyone ever gets the chance to see Prince live in a small setting, jump on it, he is one of the best guitar players in the world, and he really showcases that talent during the smaller shows.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »

Any Prince Fan that wants a challenge, I recommend picking up "The rainbow Children"

This album has amazing Guitars, amazing Jazz and is a crazy concept album that takes bunches and bunches of listens to fully appreciate.

Start with

1+1+1=3, She Loves Me 4 me, the Everlasting Now and Last December

Its a great album but like i said, it takes some listens to fully get into and not everyone will cause its just a very strange album.

I love it however, it got me through some extremely rough times.

Musically this is my favorite album.  Almost like he stripped the production down, put away the drum machines, etc and produced a studio sound that is the closest to how he sounds live.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

wow i thought i had a pretty good grasp of all Prince's albums and then D brings of Rainbow Children, i gotta check that out too.this guy is such a prolific artists, what does he have llike at least 20 studio albums?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »

For You (1978)
Prince (1979)
Dirty Mind (1980)
Controversy (1981)
1999 (1982)
Purple Rain (1984)
Around the World in a Day (1985)
Parade: Music from the Motion Picture "Under the Cherry Moon" (1986)
Sign ?☮? the Times (1987)
Lovesexy (1988)
Batman (1989)
Graffiti Bridge (1990)
Diamonds and Pearls (1991)
 (aka Love Symbol) (1992)
Come (1994)
The Black Album (1994)
The Gold Experience (1995)
Chaos and Disorder (1996)
Emancipation (1996)
The Truth (1997)
Crystal Ball (1997)
New Power Soul (NPG) (1998)
The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale (1999)
Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
The Rainbow Children (2001)
One Nite Alone (2002)
One Nite Alone... Live! (2002)
Xpectation (2003)
N.E.W.S. (2003)
Musicology (2004)
Chocolate Invasion (2004)
The Slaughterhouse (2004)
3121 (2006)

Here is his discography.

I own probably 2/3 of it.

The Black Album act ually came out before Lovesexy but it got pulled from the shelves. It had some controversial Gangsta Rap type stuff on it from what I hear, I have actually never owned this........ crying

Xpectation, Chocolate Invasion and Slaughterhouse were Internet only albums.

Prince also did the GIrl 6? soundtrack which was a lot of his hits plus some B sides and a couple new songs.

ipoopie I saw the Rainbow Children Club tour he did and I had front row seats thanks to the NPG Music Club which is far and away the best Fan Club of any musician.

For Christmas one year Free of Charge Prince sent us all the One Nite Alone...... Live Boxset as a present. I woke up and it was sitting on my door step.

I also got to see the Jam Of The Year tour in 96? and I saw the Musicology tour a couple years ago, front row once again thanks to NPGmusicClub.

My top 5 Prince Albums of All Time List would be:

1.Emancipation
2.Gold Experience
3.Purple Rain
4.Symbol Album
5.Rainbow Children

Those are my 5 favorites.

Prince has a song on Under The Cherry Moon called "Sometimes It Snows In April"? one of my good friends in high school died in April when I was a sophomore in High School and that song makes me think of him.? It is one of the saddest songs Ive ever heard.

Prince's B Sides are amazing as well:

Erotic City, God, 17 Days, Another Lonely Christmas, She's Always In My Hair, Feel you Up, Irresistable bitch, Scarlet Pussy, The list is too long to name em all.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:30:20 PM by D » Logged

Risico
Rocker

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2006, 04:35:54 PM »

Good post D - Glad to see some love for The Rainbow Children. If people look past the overtly religious lyrics, they'll find a totally unique musical experience there.

Any of you guys heard "Come" yet? It was one of the most recent Prince CDs that I bought, but it took months for it to "click" with me. Probably the only Prince album I'd classify as being truly dark stuff, but it's quite an experience if you listen to it straight through on a rainy day... or night.

The album also works as a cool intro to The Gold Experience, too, given that they were released a mere year apart. Sort of like traveling through darkness and coming into a musically bright, vibrant place.

And speaking of "Another Lonely Christmas," I've got to break down and pick up that hits/B-Sides collection. That's easily one of my favorite Prince songs, but it's languishing with a few other B-sides on my computer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:37:32 PM by Risico » Logged

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2006, 05:01:24 PM »

Good post D - Glad to see some love for The Rainbow Children. If people look past the overtly religious lyrics, they'll find a totally unique musical experience there.

Any of you guys heard "Come" yet? It was one of the most recent Prince CDs that I bought, but it took months for it to "click" with me. Probably the only Prince album I'd classify as being truly dark stuff, but it's quite an experience if you listen to it straight through on a rainy day... or night.

The album also works as a cool intro to The Gold Experience, too, given that they were released a mere year apart. Sort of like traveling through darkness and coming into a musically bright, vibrant place.

And speaking of "Another Lonely Christmas," I've got to break down and pick up that hits/B-Sides collection. That's easily one of my favorite Prince songs, but it's languishing with a few other B-sides on my computer.

Come is one of my favorite Prince albums.  It was the most recent album out at the time I became a huge fan. Come, Race, Lettigo, Loose, Dark....all amazing tunes.   

The Gold Experience is my all time favorite Prince album, because it was the 1st "new" prince album I ever bought as a fan. The song Gold is a work of art.  Me becoming a Prince fan is much like many people coming to like the new GNR band.  I went to paisley park one night for the 1st time, I only knew prince by his name and his "hits", and I wasn't expecting much.  Them bam, he comes on and is playing every instrument under the sun. After that night, I learned to appreciate his music, even though it was not in the "rock" genre that I prefer.  He opened up my eyes to new music.

I own the whole Prince discography, plus about 50 plus bootleg CDs.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2006, 05:26:29 PM »

ipoopie u should hook me up with a copy of "The Truth" So I dont have to spend 40 bucks buying a new Crystal Ball.........  yes yes yes yes

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2006, 06:03:06 PM »

ipoopie u should hook me up with a copy of "The Truth" So I dont have to spend 40 bucks buying a new Crystal Ball.........? yes yes yes yes
Haha, pm me and I will see what I can do.

As far as the black album, I consider that more of a collectors item.  I think the album is kind of crap honestly, so you are not missing out on anything.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2006, 05:12:26 PM »

i've checked out some live versions of "The Holy River" and absolutely love it, the melody are amazing not to mention that cool gutar solo at the end. to be honest i also think these are my favorite lyrics from Prince, just awesome.? i can't wait till i get Emancipation!!!

here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGFE544YgbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VL-mhRfEr8
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:14:33 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:17 PM »

An unprecedented move.  Apparently record stores are not thrilled with the idea, and understandably so.  A pretty cool thing for Prince fans though I'd say.  Or whatever he's called these days.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/44942643

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2007, 01:48:20 AM »

Prince is and will always be a genius.

back in 91 the record label didnt want to release his album "Diamonds And Pearls" cause it was so unlike anything that was out.

Prince secretly without Warner Bros knowing, Mailed hundreds of copies of the single "Gett Off" to radio stations everywhere.
The song was such a huge hit, Warner Bros had to rush release the Diamonds and Pearls album.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: