Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 03:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228014 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Adler:AXL Never Had That Much Hair When I Hung Out With Him
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler:AXL Never Had That Much Hair When I Hung Out With Him  (Read 15446 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 12:06:04 PM »

someone tell Adler the bingo hall is calling, his band is up next.

You're like axl's girlfriend, you don't seem to like anyone but him, you're like the dizzy reed of the web,,
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 03:00:35 PM »

And the fact is axl hardly ever talks about the old guys

Axl hardly ever talks, period.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 03:09:52 PM »

If Axl talked about how little talent Duff possessed and how he was the least valuable member of GNR, people would hit the roof (duff was the least valuable member by the way)

Axl Rose did more for Steven than all the members of GNR combined. wasnt it Axl who gave Steven some of his royalites? did slash,izzy,or duff do that?

and it wasnt Axl alone that kicked Steven out of the band. come to think of it, axl didnt kick anyone out of the band after that joint decision to fire adler.

I'm surprised how you underrate Duff. A lot of musicians that I know think that Duff had the key role in GN'R. Some of my musician friends even say that he's the only one who's really good.  Huh Duff's not my favourite member, but as a musician I really admire him.

The Axl vs Steven thing... After Steven was fired he did some interviews and he said he didn't have harsh feelings against anyone in his ex-band, but Axl. Steven said that he and Axl weren't friends and Axl wanted him to be fired.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 04:07:58 PM »

This is some interesting stuff from the most recent  http://www.crazewire.com/features/20041018460.php

Highlights: Axl costs Steven a chance to play in AC/DC

An excerpt from Crashing the Video:

I told them it was fate because when I first moved to LA I had lived in the same condo?s as GnR?s original drummer, Steven Adler, who was kicked out of the band by Axl Rose for being a drug addict. (never mind that Adler?s replacement Matt Sorrum recently bragged about doing half the coke in Columbia to Rolling Stone). Adler and I became stoner buddies and I drove him to the methadone clinic a few times, as he didn?t have a driver?s license. Adler?s favorite thing to do was sit in his living room, smoke a bong and play ?Civil War? from Use Your Illusion 2 while playing fetch with his dog, a pug named Shadow. It was the last song that he recorded with the band.

?Listen to those drums on Use Your Illusion man, you can tell when it?s me and not the other guy. Just listen ? the other shit doesn?t even sound the same.? I have to agree with him ? there was something missing from GnR on the Illusion albums, an intangible fire. Axl wrote some great songs, like ?Breakdown? and ?Dead Horse? but it came across a little bit too polished on the album. Sadly, GnR fans never got the sequel to Appetite.

When I knew Adler, he wasn?t upset that he was kicked out of Guns and Roses. ?Asshole Rose, I mean Axl Rose and I never got along. He used to always punch me in the balls, for no reason at all. But the worst thing he did was go on MTV at the video awards and say I was a junkie. You just don?t do that, especially when you use (drugs) too. I was all set to join AC/DC and move to Australia, but the manager called the morning after Axl said that shit and told me it wasn?t going to work out.?

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 08:13:51 PM »

oh my lord

what a sad bunch

and oh.. to comment on topic specifically.... yeah, whatever...
as with all the ex-members - apparently in the opinion of journalists (at least) the most interesting thing about any of them is that they once knew Axl Rose  Grin
bad tripp
Headliner

Here Today... Probably Here Tommorrow

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 09:01:23 PM »

If Axl talked about how little talent Duff possessed and how he was the least valuable member of GNR, people would hit the roof (duff was the least valuable member by the way)

Axl Rose did more for Steven than all the members of GNR combined. wasnt it Axl who gave Steven some of his royalites? did slash,izzy,or duff do that?

and it wasnt Axl alone that kicked Steven out of the band. come to think of it, axl didnt kick anyone out of the band after that joint decision to fire adler.

I'm surprised how you underrate Duff. A lot of musicians that I know think that Duff had the key role in GN'R. Some of my musician friends even say that he's the only one who's really good.? Huh Duff's not my favourite member, but as a musician I really admire him.

The Axl vs Steven thing... After Steven was fired he did some interviews and he said he didn't have harsh feelings against anyone in his ex-band, but Axl. Steven said that he and Axl weren't friends and Axl wanted him to be fired.

Wow if your musicians friends say that they must be right not taking anything away from Duff and being a bassist you dont nearly get the attention you deserve; but Duff the only one that was really good?? tell your musician friends to pull their heads outta there asses to take a listen.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 02:51:06 AM »

I'm surprised how you underrate Duff. A lot of musicians that I know think that Duff had the key role in GN'R. Some of my musician friends even say that he's the only one who's really good.? Huh Duff's not my favourite member, but as a musician I really admire him.

Wow if your musicians friends say that they must be right not taking anything away from Duff and being a bassist you dont nearly get the attention you deserve; but Duff the only one that was really good?? tell your musician friends to pull their heads outta there asses to take a listen.

Yeah, I don't agree with them, I think every GN'R members did a great work on the albums. I wouldn't call myself a musician, but since I played in numerous bands and playing guitar for 14 years, I think that I have some sense and unerstanding to music and I'm sure that Duff wasn't the only good player in the band, but he was (and is) a really good bass player.  peace

Rollin' on the streets
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 04:48:26 AM »

This is some interesting stuff from the most recent? http://www.crazewire.com/features/20041018460.php
Adler?s favorite thing to do was sit in his living room, smoke a bong and play ?Civil War? from Use Your Illusion 2 while playing fetch with his dog, a pug named Shadow. It was the last song that he recorded with the band.

Oh dear that's so sad, poor steven rofl

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 12:22:27 PM »

You are missing the point. The point is the people that like slash, duff and izzy more than axl think its ok when they talk bad about Axl but the minute axl says anything bad about them they all go calling Axl an asshole for 80 pages and stuff like that.? And the fact is axl hardly ever talks about the old guys, its always slash and duff who bring up or talk about axl.?
My whole point is always why is it ok for slash, dizzy and izzy to talk about axl yet axl cant say anything about them.

but sometimes people forget that axl can be a real asshole. axl did some bad stuff to slash/duff/... too. if not why bashing him all the time? the only difference between axl and them is, that axl moved on. so let 'em talk shit about axl, it doesn't matter anymore.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
Gunner Fucker
Axl's Yes Man
Headliner

Bucketwho?

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 02:04:46 PM »

Steven is great, but listening to him nowadays, it's real sad...

Rock On

If All I Knew Was That With You I'd Want Someone To Save Me, It'd Be Enough.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 12:53:48 AM »

im not sayin they arent important at all, they are important just not as important as vocals,lyrics,melodies and guitar in my opinion.

if u take duff out of GNR and replace him with someone and have the exact same GNR lineup can anyone honestly tell me that GNR wouldnt have still ruled the music world?

he does nothing on bass like a les claypool or Flea.

everything Duff does on bass can be duplicated by any other bassist.

the uniqueness of Axl,Izzy,SLash and Adler were more important to GNR's success in my opinion.

take away axl,izzy,slash or adler and i dont think appetite sounds the same

u have its so easy opening and the cool melodic part on SCOM and even though its cool i think SCOM still goes to number one without that bass line

that is my point.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2004, 05:36:52 AM »

im not sayin they arent important at all, they are important just not as important as vocals,lyrics,melodies and guitar in my opinion.

if u take duff out of GNR and replace him with someone and have the exact same GNR lineup can anyone honestly tell me that GNR wouldnt have still ruled the music world?

he does nothing on bass like a les claypool or Flea.

everything Duff does on bass can be duplicated by any other bassist.

the uniqueness of Axl,Izzy,SLash and Adler were more important to GNR's success in my opinion.

take away axl,izzy,slash or adler and i dont think appetite sounds the same

u have its so easy opening and the cool melodic part on SCOM and even though its cool i think SCOM still goes to number one without that bass line

that is my point.

I don't know. Duff wrote the famous riff of Paradise City, so he was a very important member without a doubt. On the other hand a player like Flea or Claypool would have killed Guns N' Roses IMO. I think Duff was very important not only as a bass player, but as a 'multi-instrumentalist', 'cause he was (and is) able to think with the other guys head since he played their instrument, too (on a level). I agree that some of the AFD songs could have been played by another bassist and we wouldn't find a difference - but he's really outstanding on the UYI albums. peace

Rollin' on the streets
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2004, 04:59:59 PM »

Are you sure?
To be fair, I thought Welcome To The Jungle wouldn?t have been half as marvelous as it is, if it not had been for Duff?s bass. Lips Sealed
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2004, 07:11:24 PM »

was duff more valuable than slash?============= NO
was duff more valuable than Izzy?============= NO
was duff more valuable than steven?========= id say no maybe a push
was duff more valuable than axl?======== NO

sayin Duff was the least valuable isnt putting him down but someone has to be and goin by contributions he is the least valuable

its like the survivor games, when it gets down to the final 2 or 3, u dont hate any of the songs but there are some u like just a little more.

same here, duff is great, i like duff, but if there were a thread (which im sure dead horse has some) out of the original GNR outside of adler *only cause people's prejudice of adler make them automatically vote for him* Duff would get the most votes.

GNR wouldve still been a huge monster without Duff.

its hard to think about cause its been branded in our brains since we were young, but if PC started out with the riff and lyrics i think it wouldve been just as strong cause who knows what izzy or slash wouldve came up with as an intro.

DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 01:16:57 AM »

The bottomline is that no one knows the processes of how those songs were written.

Axl could have sang lyrics or improvised something that inspired the others to write some music around it.  Or it could have been the other way around. We don't know.

But you people seem to forget the vocalist's role.  Axl came up with how the songs should be sung.  The melodies, the rhythm, everything.   We know that because of the personality Axl has. 

Without Axl, you don't have the songs.  Bottomline.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 01:46:26 AM »

i took a page outta my good pal SLC punks page and i did some research.

some of you are not getting what im saying. im not saying duff sucks or his contributions werent great, cause they were. However whether it be a sports team,band whatever you can rank the members. If someone made u choose, if they gave u a GNR cd and said you have to choose one to get rid of, guitars,vocals,bass or drums i would choose bass cause a song can survive without it.

now i did some good research here. songsDUFF cowrote or wrote
Its so easy
Nightrain
Paradise city
used to love her
dust n bones
bad apples
civil war
get in the ring
so fine

IZZY  contributed on
nightrain
out ta get me
mr brownstone
paradise city
my michelle
think about you
sweet child o mine
youre crazy
anything goes
rocket queen
reckless life
move to the city
patience
used to love her
right next door to hell
dust n bones
dont cry
perfect crime
you aint the first
bad obsession
double talkin jive
bad apples
14 years
pretty tied up

holy fuck i never realized how enormous izzy's contributions were! WOW!

anyhow my point is if u had to choose a least valuable member it would be duff, im not slaggin on the guy, i mean its not a slap in the face to be the least valuable member of GNR.

would GNR be huge without DUFF? maybe maybe not

but i guarantee they would have had a much better chance of  being huge without duff than they would have without slash,izzy or axl

thats how i came to my conclusion.

once again im not sayin duff sucks, im not taking anything away from his great contributions but hypothetically speaking if u had to choose it would be a no brainer

you could have a song without bass if u really had to, but u couldnt without drums so that puts adler over duff.
and izzy,slash and axl are self explanatory

please no one else give me this conductor of the band bullshit, that was so corny on those tokyo videos.

edit:  post over if u wanna see slash and axls contributions scroll down

SLASH contributed on
wttj
nightrain
out ta get me
mr brownstone
paradise city
scom
youre crazy
rocket queen
reckless life
used to love her
dust n bones
perfect crime
garden of eden
dont damn me
bad apples
coma
civil war
get in the ring
locomotive

AXL *everything but
its so easy
think about you
move to the city
patience
dust n bones
you aint the first
bad obsession
double talkin jive
prety tied up
so fine

final score card of contributions no duplicates count as in *dont cry alt,youre crazy acoustic or covers, there are a grand total of 44 original songs in the GNR catalog 12 on appetite,5 on lies *not countin acoustic youre crazy* 15 on uyi 1 12 on uyi 2

1.axl   34 songs
2.izzy  24 songs
3.slash  19 songs
4. duff   9 songs

thats my evidence to my jury of peers, the only songs we know for certain we wouldnt have period without duff are its so easy and so fine.  i would say in my opinion but the evidence is overwhelming!   if u had to choose it would be duff!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 02:58:38 AM by D » Logged

estranged.1098
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 02:12:22 AM »

Duff was part of Guns N' Roses. It's pretty hard (=impossible) to say how things would have turned out if he wasn't there, but he was.

I think this is a pointless discussion.? ?Grin
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 07:50:32 AM »

it is very pointless and to be quite honest i have exactly zero idea how this convo got turned this way. talk about being off topic. hihi im through commenting on this because it is pointless.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 09:55:54 AM »

Not that it matters because I could care less about axl's hair quantity, I just don't like the brades..

Axl rose is like a few people I knew in their twentys, whenever you see the paradise city video you can see even in 1988 he has thinning hair, and for alot of guys I knew who had thin hair in their twentys were somewhat bald by their 30's.. I'm not saying axl is, nor do I care, I'm just saying what typically happens with people who have thin hair when they're young..

As for steven I wouldn't say axl didn't have much hair, I'd say it was thin/ fine hair..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2004, 10:03:36 AM »

is hard to say, i mean if it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck it usually is a duck.

axl's hair at rock in rio 3 was thick as fuck

i dont care what u do u cannot change hair texture, if u have fine hair u cant make it thick, it just doesnt work that way, however it was shorter and sometimes when u have very long hair and u cut it shorter it gives it a thicker appearance plus it was a little darker parted in the middle instead of on the side.

axl in the early 90's had a normal male pattern hairline, it wasnt receding it went around perfectly like males hairlines are suppose to.

when a hairline is receding *see eddie vedder* the sides of the bangs are like mid head but axl's wasnt like that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: