Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:19:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Songs which didn't make it..
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs which didn't make it..  (Read 7551 times)
Assman
Opening Act

Ass man, always ass.

« on: December 08, 2004, 06:14:07 AM »

What do you really think of the songs that didn't get on the studio albums? Like "Shadow of your love", "Crash diet", "Bring it on home", etc. I really see why they didn't make it and I'm glad that they didn't tarnish the albums. However it is a bit sad that the "extra material" isn't any good, as that would have been something to listen to, until the new record finally is released. Besides the songs being pretty bad, they're also really few.

It's really different if you compare it with an artist like Bruce Springsteen (ok he isn't any good anymore, but 15 years ago..). He released an entire box with songs that didn't make it. The outtakes and unreleased songs of his are in some cases brilliant. In his case, I sometimes wonder why they weren't released in the first place. But I guess they didn't fit at the time.

So what do you think of Guns N?Roses unreleased songs?
SADIS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 06:50:29 AM »

I'm also glad those songs didn't make it, but I know for sure that lots of people will show up here with a different opinion.

I don't think there was much left of GNR back in the days. Most of the Use Your Illusion songs were already written before AFD was even released.
anythinggoes
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 07:08:31 AM »

Im sorry but those songs although not classics are part of GNR's history and i like them they may not be lyically great but they are not polished either think what they may have sounded like all cleaned up i personally would love to hear and album officially released with all these B Sides and i think a lot of fans would too.

wake up its time to die
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 07:13:41 AM by anythinggoes » Logged
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 07:43:34 AM »

I love Crash diet and Shadow of your love. The latter would have fit nicely on Live like a suicide IMO. The other unreleased tracks don't really do anything for me.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
elmaestro
Rocker

Turn loose the swans that drew my poets craft...

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 09:56:44 AM »

I really love some of these demo songs. 'Crash Diet' is a killer song IMO.

I think you have to judge them for what they are: demo tracks.

Songs can still change when you're in a studio recording (don't we all know Grin): eg the lyrics, which I have to admit are not always the greatest of lyrics Axl wrote...

The changes guns made were not always for the best in my opinion: I liked the rawness of the 'back off bitch' demo and the sadness in the 'don't cry' demo better than the released versions on the UYI albums...

Releasing them in spacial box like other bands did or are doing now would be great for fans, but will not happen in the near future because of newgnr.  But I for one am not waiting for that to happen, I like the songs for what they are: demos, nothing more and nothing less...

The secret of the hanged man.... the smile on his lips...
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 11:03:55 AM »

Well, if you look at Bruce Springsteen, with or without the ESB, who's always geared on writing and recording and touring, then yes, he will have a huge amount of unreleased songs, some of which will be hidden gems. I do agree, Springsteen does have quite a few hidden gems. But Springsteen is (and was) highly focused to his work and getting it out for the people to hear and experience.

GNR, on the other hand, have always thrived on chaos. It is/was a revolving group of anarchaic troubadours, who with a lot of herbs and spices, plus some bigtime egos, created some classic kick-ass stuff. But as songwriters who are always coming up with something new? I don't see it that way. They always had a limited amount of songs and kept reworking them. Trying to have 5 rambunctous hell-raising musicians agree on songwriting?

Look at a few of the songs on UYI ("Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry"). Those were leftovers from before AFD. As amazing and brilliant as the GNR songs are, compared to Springsteen's output between Greetings to before Prove It (about the same number of GNR releases), it's two different worlds. And in our GNR world, whom I consider myself a lifelong citizen, you will not see a prolific amount of unreleased songs. Let alone gems.

I would want to use people like Prince and even Ryan Adams (not Bryan) as similar examples. Again, single people instead of a band. There's 10x more unreleased stuff than released with them. And definitely some gems (Prince is a goddamm genius if you ask me).

But if you take a group of rambunctous musicians, toss in some booze, drama and egos (Sex Pistols, Jane's Addiction (the original group), etc.) then you will not see a huge arsenal of unreleased tracks.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 11:34:19 AM »

I think Shadow of your love was great...raw, gritty...really what the band was about when they recorded it (I like the live and studio versions).
A song like Just Another Sunday or Crash Diet could have been something bigger and more interesting if they would have really taken the time to work on it in the studio.
But like other posters have said, GnR members (including Axl) aren't prolific songwriters.
Artists like Prince and Bon Jovi have so much unreleased material (although not all of it is that great). I think with GnR in the past, the cream always rises to the top and the best songs have made their CDs.
Who knows how much music Axl really has compiled in his studio vaults the past 7 years, but maybe once CD is finally released, the various sessions that went unused or unfinished will  become interesting topics of discussion and contain unreleased GEMS that we're all looking for.
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 11:45:43 AM »

Shadow of your love was officially released on the Live and let die single.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 12:32:23 PM »

Ah, don't be picky. Who has heard it among the casual fans? We're talking about songs that didn't make it onto albums  Wink

jgfnsr
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 12:39:37 PM »

I think the solo needed work but Crash Diet would have been great on Appetite.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 01:30:45 PM »

I dig Crash Diet, and I think if they'd work on Bring it on Home it could have been brilliant..  There's a lot of potential there.
November Rain 91
Headliner

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 03:42:33 PM »

Crash Diet pretty bad?!?! nervous nervous Crash Diet is awesome! Killer intro, badass all around. Probably my favorite of all the unreleased songs. Shadow of your love is....good. Not great, but i still like it. It was also released on Hollywood Rose. Like what Axl did with it at the end - "you won't find? me in the....etc.." I agree that Crash Diet wouldn't have fit on the UYIs but it's still a great song!

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 03:59:43 PM »

and actually, it was also released on a UK 12" single for Night train or some similar promo back in the day. I know my friend bought it, and it was an official release.
Still, most casual GnR fans wouldn't know the song existed.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 04:01:45 PM »

It was also on a compilation tape jarmo bought back in the day.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 04:05:51 PM »

Called "Time To Rock"

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2004, 04:09:04 PM »

Called "Time To Rock"

Hey, I have that one too !  Grin

Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 04:37:08 PM »

I really enjoy listening to almost all the unreleased songs. Crash Diet, Shadow of Your Love, and Just Another Sunday are probably the best of  them(imo). Especially Crash Diet. Shoulda been on AFD. Don't judge them as anything but raw material. A fully polished Diet woulda kicked ass. yes

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 04:41:11 PM »

Called "Time To Rock"

/jarmo

although OT, but what is that about?

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 05:58:52 PM »

Called "Time To Rock"

/jarmo

although OT, but what is that about?

"Shadow Of Your Love" can be found on that compilation.

Along with other tracks from bands such as Faster Pussycat and Motley Crue.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
warrel
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 06:03:39 PM »

Do we have a complete list of unreleased tracks?  That is, do we know what they all are and are they all out there to listen to?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: