Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's wrong with "Live era"?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's wrong with "Live era"?  (Read 6067 times)
Assman
Opening Act

Ass man, always ass.

« on: December 10, 2004, 08:22:30 AM »

I was a bit disappointed at this album. The production doesn't sound very good, and the chosen versions of the songs aren't that good either. What's the story behind this? It doesn't seem like anyone put any thought into it... I mean, I watched the "November rain"-version from the Mtv-awards with Elton John, and it looks horrible, but it sounds so much better than the version on the record. In "Patience" Axl whistles out of tune. The ones that are really good is "Out ta get me" and "Used to love her". It seems like they could have chosen a lot better versions and put those out instead of the ones we got...

Why does it sound so bad and what's the story behind it?
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »

Well for starters it doesnt sound live a normal live record. Instead of being recorded at one concert they just patched together stuff and added audience. I mean did they ever even play IT'S ALRIGHT before Live Era? Not too mention if you buy it from walmart its edited. They allow the asses and shits to fly but on the song "Used to love her" they bleep out the word kill.

On a side note wasn't this discussed like 3 months ago already?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 09:02:58 AM »

On a side note wasn't this discussed like 3 months ago already?

Well, off course it was Grin

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 09:11:58 AM »

axl worked with gettin the booklet right at this hihi

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 09:42:48 AM »

no godfather solo. (hell, any guitar solo would've done)
(i'll put the "no drum solo" in the positives side)
pretty lame talking from axl between songs.
no obscure song selections.
touched up/redone vocals.
touched up guitars.
missing guitars (why is there only one guitar at the end of rocket queen??).
most of the songs are just taken from the tokyo shows that we already had on video.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice live album; but for such a fantastic live band the fans deserve better.
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 10:18:19 AM »

Don't get me wrong, it's nice live album; but for such a fantastic live band the fans deserve better.

Hmmmm...maybe you're onto something there 2Na. As far as I know, Axl was the only one to contribute ANYTHING to this project (albeit...not that much as is). Perhaps the idea was to purposely have the general public remember the OLD/ORIGINAL GN'R in this sub-par but not totally unfair fashion. Would be an interesting comparrison if Axl put out a live record of the new line up. I'd bet you'd get a much better set, sound, booklet, videos, etc. from it than we did with Live Era.

Just a thought.  Smiley

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 10:20:32 AM »

No slash told he worked on the tapes, recovering and stuff ok

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 10:22:56 AM »

Hmmmm...maybe you're onto something there 2Na. As far as I know, Axl was the only one to contribute ANYTHING to this project (albeit...not that much as is). Perhaps the idea was to purposely have the general public remember the OLD/ORIGINAL GN'R in this sub-par but not totally unfair fashion. Would be an interesting comparrison if Axl put out a live record of the new line up. I'd bet you'd get a much better set, sound, booklet, videos, etc. from it than we did with Live Era.

Just a thought. Smiley

I don't know about every member, but i'm certain Slash had a part in the making of it as Axl and Slash spoke through lawyers.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 10:28:51 AM »

Like it's been already said, it was lame to take songs from the most famous concerts: Tokyo 92 (hello! everybody has that already), Paris 92 and Wembley 92. There are some stuff from Wembley 91 and Tokyo 88, which is nice, but they clearly have not taken the time to choose the best out of their shows.

To me the only positive thing is the soundboard version of Coma in the japanese edition. If they'd made the track selection similar to what they chose for Coma, that would've been awesome. The booklet is pretty fuckin nice too I think.

Bahad
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 10:48:03 AM »

What's wrong with Live era? ummmm Not a live recording maybe Tongue

Hated the re-recording vocal shit (Scom,Ptu,Mttc,Nightrain,Estranged,November rain,Ucbm,Rocket queen). That album doesnt even sound live to me. It's like Lies (added crowd noise). I'd rather listen paris 92,argentina 92.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 11:02:14 AM »

And PAradise City: "Las Ve, Las Ve, LAs Ve, Las Ve, Las Vegas"  IS that a skip or what?

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 11:06:15 AM »

Yes, a CD pressing issue on the first few batches of US CDs.

SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 11:17:42 AM »

Just a thought. Smiley

I don't know about every member, but i'm certain Slash had a part in the making of it as Axl and Slash spoke through lawyers.

Ah, yes...I remember that now. I stand corrected. Still, it seems that nobody was truly interested in making this album GREAT by any means. I think Axl knew it wouldn't be GREAT and probably didn't mind so much. In his eyes it was theoretically 'the last time' the general public would hear the original line up play live ever again. Allowing for the new line up to sound even more refreshing and that much more, well, LIVE.

I don't know. It's Friday...who cares about anything else but a beer or ten at 5 o'clock  beer

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 11:22:42 AM »

axl's vocals are pretty strong at the end of rocket queen, i always turn up the volum there

i think that is some of my best moments on that cd-

There's so much better unofficials, that what is on LE- but it has it's moment Cool

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 12:15:45 PM »

missing guitars (why is there only one guitar at the end of rocket queen??).
There's only one guitar in the whole song. And there's only Slash at the first part of Estranged (till the piano solo).  Undecided

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 12:39:57 PM »

The Live Era album, although nice to listen to at times, is pretty crummy.  Like you guys have been saying, there is only one guitar in Estranged and Rocket Queen, which makes both songs sound less than quality.  Secondly, Axl re-recorded vocals on most of the songs, including Nightrain, Brownstone, Jungle, My Michelle, the end of Used to Love Her, NR, Pretty Tied Up, Move to the City, YCBM, SCOM, Rocket Queen, and Estranged.  They sound so artifical, because any true Gn'r fan knows that he does not sound that clean in the real shows.  Finally, the song selection was very weak.  I don't know why they have Move to the City, It's Alright, or Dust N' Bones on there.  They should DEFINITELY have Double Talkin' Jive, Live and Let Die, and Civil War, all three of which were played virtually the entire Illusion tour, as opposed to Dust N' Bones only being played on the first leg with Izzy.  In terms of the times of the songs, if they took out Move to the City (8 minutes), It's Alright (3), and Dust N' Bones (5), and maybe one more song (maybe Used to Love Her or You're Crazy), they could have added the other songs, including the long guitar solos on Civil War and DTJ.  BTW, the Coma version is the worst they've ever played live; the entire middle of the song, Slash and Axl are playing at the wrong times, and it sounds bad.  The Chicago version is much better.  All in all, a fun listen, but it could have been a lot better.
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 12:59:16 PM »

Its really weird how the live stuff the record company puts out like the Tokyo DVD's and Live Era just arrnt up to scratch with what the band were capabe of.

Live era has it moments but they could have easily put better versions of alot of the songs.

Everybody reading this MUST do the following, its essential !!

Go here - http://www.thegunsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779
Sign up and downlaod all the tracks from this show, sit back and let your jaw drop.

The Sweet Child O' Mine is quite simply the best i've ever heard, it really is Axl goin at 110%

If you only downlaod one track make it SCOM, its jaw dropping!!!

Half the tracks from this show could have been used instead of the live era ones, especialy SCOM and Mr Brownstone.

I urge everyone to do this then post back with your thoughts on this show.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 01:04:25 PM »

I absolutely love this album. this live version of Nightrain sounds killer  Shocked Axl's voice on nightrain and on the end of rocket queen is very impressive. I love it.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jaknudsen
Rocker

I'm a mule!

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 04:11:47 PM »

Yes, a CD pressing issue on the first few batches of US CDs.

Ooh, collector's value?  drool

hihi

looooooooove's sooooo straaange

2006-06-28 Oslo, NOR
2010-06-02 Oslo, NOR
2018-07-19 Oslo, NOR
2022-06-15 Stavanger, NOR
izzy29
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 05:20:25 PM »

You wanna know whats wrong with Live era? It sucked dick!! It should have never been released!! The only highlight of the discs is Izzy kicking some ass on Dust N Bones. They should have left the Tokyo shit off the discs. They should have put more rare performances on it. I seen GNR in July 1991 at the shoreline ampitheatre and Izzy sang 'Double Talkin Jive'and that should have been on the discs. Axl's rare performance of 'Locomotive' should have been on there too. and if he sang 'Dont Damn me' before, they should have put that on there too. 'Right next door to hell' would have been a good choice too. I loved it when they opened the show with that song!!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: