Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  What would be considered a 'success' by Adler's Appetite for 2005
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would be considered a 'success' by Adler's Appetite for 2005  (Read 16139 times)
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: January 05, 2005, 08:08:31 AM »

so they've release an EP, though no-one seems to know how many copies are printed, it's called "limited edition" for the fans, but whether that's because they don't know/think it will sell much and cannot afford to print off more than will sell, and they have a full tour lined up, then they plan on doing a full album for the summer.

What would be considered a success?

personally i think it's pretty good they've got the EP out, and it doesn't sound shit, certainly no worse than Slash's solo efforts, though probably a little less flashy and spectacle like on guitar.]

i think if they get through the tour that's pretty successful, build on what they've been doing last year. i'm not sure how tickets are selling in the UK, bradford rio is about 800 capacity but on the picadilly ticket website they've only sold 28 tickets so far, however, about 10 of them were yesterday (as pedantic as it is, i figured if they sold about 7 a day, for the month remaining until the gig they'd sell about 200!!).

do you think they'll get the album out? if they did, regardless of how it sold, i'd consider it a great success really. i think it's a blow brent muscat isn't on the tour, but judging from a recent interview i read, he seemed concerned about being in a band based on performing appetite for destruction, so by the sounds of it he'll be back on with the band if they get a full albums worth of material behind them

what about sales? fuck knows about the tour ticket sales (though reviews from peeps on the board giving estimates would be cool!) but what about the album?

i think slashs solo stuff did 120k for 5 o clock nowhere, and aint life grand did MUCH less, i think about 50k, if that - this is in the US. now considering that is SLASH (aint life grand didn't sell as much as bucketheads last album btw), i think if adler and co did about 20k in the US that would be a great thing, but considering they won't have radio support, it will be all down to word of mouth through gigs etc, and from gunners fans coming out. thats why i think brent is a big plus because otherwise is just love/hate and adler in a sense, whereas with muscat, at least old faster pussycat fans might pop out the woodwork. so how many do you think it will sell? if it comes out?

just quite interested in AA at the moment with the new EP and all so thought i'd try start abit of a debate as it's slow news time!
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 08:12:42 AM »

oh, i forgot to add, snakepit got to support ac/dc on a major tour too, and still only did about 40/50k on their second album. so 20k would be a tall order dontcha think? also, do you think there will be much development of the band between the EP and the album, or will it be more of the same for now - as the EP is just a 'reward' (if you will) for the fans of the band for supporting them now?

sorry - lots of questions! Smiley
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 09:42:53 AM »

I'd like to see them do well but i think they'll really struggle to sell more than a couple thousand records.  At least with Slash and his solo records he had the factor that he is a pretty recognisable and famous guy the world over.  Adler isn't.  Another negative is simply the name of the band is awful.  It's cheesy and totally trades on past glories.  If AA want to be taken seriously they should at least change their name.  Didn't they used to be called Suki Jones?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 10:56:48 AM »

I think the majority of the people will buy the EP at their gig somewhere instead of ordering it on the internet

I don't think they'll sell a lot of copies of the EP and I don't think that's really what they're aiming for, it's more like a warm up for the LP. I think the LP will do good when it's well promoted bye the label, also a lot of people are curious what AA will sound like.

They got rid of the name Suki Jones cause they where still beeing called Adler's Appetite and that's how they got recognized. Adler's Appetite is marketing wize the better choice

About the name trading on past glories, there's someone who's even more worse Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:58:23 AM by IzzyDutch » Logged
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 12:33:07 PM »

yeah know what you mean about the name, it's good for the time being as it helps people recognise them, but it doesn't really take the band beyond sounding abit like a tribute for AFD. i have to say i prefer suki jones actually.

how much can their label really promote them though? i'm presuming it's small enough that they won't really get major airplay anywhere.

i was thinking actually, if they got on the metal sludge tour, that would probably be decent exposure to a rock market that would be interested in 'em. i dunno how many people go to each metal sludge gig though, but they seem to be pretty popular.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 02:30:07 PM »

Jizzy mentioned at his forum the following:

Just got back from Keri's house where I finished the vocals for the AA record--I think people are really going to be surprised when they hear it, it's fucking good. Steven is playing like a madman, when you hear it you'll agree he hasn't lost a thing. We're mixing this weekend and pressing up a limited amount for sale on the Internet and for this upcoming European tour. AA has decided not to take the Shrapnel deal, both the band and the label couldn't come to a satisfactory agreement and that's that, as they say. No worries, all is well and lots of cool stuff shaping up for the summer & beyond.

About the promoting, I'd say using the term "ex-GN'R drummer Steven Adler" can do no harm, they did that with Gilby's album Swag aswell

I guess time will tell... I'm more curious if there will be some Izzy songs on the LP Wink
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »

They ain't doing this for sales.

It won't sell many simply because no one outside the GNR boards even knows who Steven Adler is - most people would be surprised to know who he is let alone that he's still alive and with an album coming out

I wish them all the best - i'll be buying the album (if they print enough copies to allow me to even get hold of it)

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jgfnsr
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 11:52:54 PM »

For Adler and his crew, a success would be opening for the mechanical bears at Chuckie Cheese.   yes
duffsgal
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 01:54:40 AM »

Posted by: TheDude?
Insert Quote
Quote from: thejungle on January 05, 2005, 08:08:31 AM
For Adler and his crew, a success would be opening for the mechanical bears at Chuckie Cheese.?

And for you 'Dude' - success in your life would be getting promoted from the floor cleaner to the burger flipper at McDonalds. ? hihi

Welcome to the Jungle Baby
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 05:04:10 PM »

For Adler and his crew, a success would be opening for the mechanical bears at Chuckie Cheese.? ?yes

I'm glad that somebody else sees these guys as a bunch of wannabe has beens. As much as I'm against Axl using the G n'R monkiner and capitalizing on the name, cry-baby alder steals the cake. Dispite what all the alder-holics think he drumming did absolutly nothing for any G n' R songs.

Pehaps they should change their name to "Alder's Lies".? To me that's what monkey boy alder is famous for, lies lies lies.

It's definintly not his drumming skills. I could teach you how to play like steve in a day.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
jgfnsr
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 09:50:11 PM »

Insert Quote
Quote from: thejungle on January 05, 2005, 08:08:31 AM
For Adler and his crew, a success would be opening for the mechanical bears at Chuckie Cheese.?

And for you 'Dude' - success in your life would be getting promoted from the floor cleaner to the burger flipper at McDonalds. ? hihi

Nah, they've got me on fry-detail for good, the bastards.   rant

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:52:01 PM by TheDude » Logged
jgfnsr
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 09:57:53 PM »

For Adler and his crew, a success would be opening for the mechanical bears at Chuckie Cheese.? ?yes

I'm glad that somebody else sees these guys as a bunch of wannabe has beens. As much as I'm against Axl using the G n'R monkiner and capitalizing on the name, cry-baby alder steals the cake. Dispite what all the alder-holics think he drumming did absolutly nothing for any G n' R songs.

Pehaps they should change their name to "Alder's Lies".? To me that's what monkey boy alder is famous for, lies lies lies.

It's definintly not his drumming skills. I could teach you how to play like steve in a day.

For the record I think Adler's drumming on Appetite was great and, over all, I think he was the best drummer the old band had.

That said, I don't think much of Adler's band.  People can whine about Axl using and abusing the GN'R legacy but at least the guy is creative and can back it up with his talent.  And hopefully the new record will prove that once and for all. 

As for Adler, it should have been him that overdosed back in the day instead of Nikki Sixx.  The world and ol' Steven himself would probably have been better off if the two had parted long ago... 
duffsgal
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 02:58:21 AM »

Quote from: DeadHorse on Yesterday at 05:04:10 PM

Oh sorry deadhorse, didnt realise you are an angel that has never made a mistake in your life.? Why do you people have to attack Adler, the guy is doing his own stuff, has released an EP and is currently on tour.? So he includes a couple of Gunners songs in his set - big deal so does Velvet Revolver and dont hear you boo hooing about that.? ?Leave Adler the hell alone and if you dont like him then dont read threads about him.

thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 06:48:12 AM »

i think its massively over the top - and disgusting - to say you wish adler had died when on drugs, keep those opinions to yourself mate, noone cares and it's not even related to the threads question.

as for whether adler is a good drummer or not, well yeah AFD hasn't got the most complicated beats, but everyone knows the drumming sound of mr.brownstone and the intro nightrain etc.

surely it's a good thing he's going out on tour, trying to release music, i mean, he's turned down one record deal because he didn't think it felt right, so it's not like he's rushing into it desperately.

they do cover alot of GNR songs, but they're just starting out, they need to get their own music out there, but want to tour, get some fans in etc etc first. if when they release their album in the summer, they do a set with more than 3 or 4 AFD songs then yeah i'll be pissed off, but at this moment in time, doing half or more of the AFD album makes sense, as its what they need to promote the band in rock clubs where they're playing.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 08:46:05 AM »

As for Adler, it should have been him that overdosed back in the day instead of Nikki Sixx.? The world and ol' Steven himself would probably have been better off if the two had parted long ago...?

You better keep those opinions to yourself in the future.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
axlschild
Headliner

..when your taking to yourself..and nobody's home

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 09:16:01 AM »

Jeez...
I though we were a "fan" forum... Roll Eyes

I have ordered the EP and will go to several gigs on the tour of the UK. I've seen Jizzy several times and he is an ace performer, KK and Robbie Crane are both v v good players. These will be awesome gigs i'm sure.
Checkout Jizzy's solo stuff and the old Love/Hate albums, most under-rated band in history, should of been huge...

ok

Don't play your guitar when your talking to me...

Milton Keynes '93
Leeds '02
Download '06
Sheffield '06
Nottingham '06
Leeds '10
Birmingham '12
jgfnsr
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 02:55:33 PM »

Sheeeeesh people.? Touchy aren't we?

Ever heard the phrase "tounge in cheek?"? Hey, maybe it was in bad taste, but it was just a joke.? It's like when some people say the Stones should have died in a plane crash after the mid-70's or whatever.? They don't actually mean it.? It's just a way of sayin' someone is past their prime.

But fuck me, I guess some of you might be related to Steven or something.? If so, tell him hi for me and that shock -treatment might help with that speech problem...? yes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 02:58:29 PM by TheDude » Logged
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 03:19:23 PM »

it's not that we're "over-sensitive", if the joke was funny then it might be abit different. but it really wasn't funny so it was hard to tell whether it was a joke in bad taste or just a mean spirited rant. to be honest i've never heard of the technique of saying someone is past it by saying it would be better if they were dead.

yeah love/hate are great, the first two albums are quality, i do get the feeling they dropped off after simply 'cos when proper success eluded them so much they descended into madness abit with booze etc. it would be interesting to see how their sound developed if they were as successful as they should have been. yet another band that lost favour because of grunge i suppose.

you can download all their albums for free from their official website, www.lovehate.com (i think thats the site) check it out!
SLASH2365
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 03:29:12 PM »

now come on all you "anti-Adler" people, cut the guy some slack. hes cleaned up greatly, has put a band and EP together, planning a record and are out on tour. you have to give some credit.

as far as the drumming for Appetite, Adler isnt a John Bonhom or Keith Moon, but he's a good drummer. look at some of the songs, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Rocet Queen. i mean those are some pretty good songs as far as the drums go.

"The Blues are realy important, that's where most of the hard rock n' roll came from." - Izzy Stradlin
jgfnsr
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 04:13:56 PM »

it's not that we're "over-sensitive", if the joke was funny then it might be abit different.

Nah, that's not it.? The joke was utterly freakin' hilarious.? ?Grin

to be honest i've never heard of the technique of saying someone is past it by saying it would be better if they were dead.

What you haven't heard of could fill a warehouse.? ?yes
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 04:15:46 PM by TheDude » Logged
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 07:23:32 PM »

well with tens of thousands of years of civilisation behind me in many continents and cultures over the world i'm sure theres plenty of things i haven't heard of!  Roll Eyes

Tongue
duffsgal
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2005, 09:46:42 PM »

Posted by: SLASH2365?
now come on all you "anti-Adler" people, cut the guy some slack. hes cleaned up greatly, has put a band and EP together, planning a record and are out on tour. you have to give some credit.

Thank you - finally someone on this board who is giving the guy credit for getting over his addictions and picking up his life again. ? ? ok

jgfnsr
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 09:48:01 PM »

well with tens of thousands of years of civilisation behind me in many continents and cultures over the world i'm sure theres plenty of things i haven't heard of!? Roll Eyes

Tongue

Tens of thousands?
jgfnsr
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 09:51:50 PM »

Thank you - finally someone on this board who is giving the guy credit for getting over his addictions and picking up his life again. ? ? ok

(I'm curious, why do you always post in red?)? Huh

Personally, I never gave a rat's ass about Steven's heroin addiction, in and of itself.? The fact that it got in the way of his playing obviously had a big impact on the rest of his life.

And while I'll give him credit too for getting clean, I remain sceptical of just what the guy has left to offer in the way music.? Of course he's welcome to prove me wrong at any time.

duffsgal
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2005, 09:56:05 PM »

(I'm curious, why do you always post in red?)?

Personally, I never gave a rat's ass about Steven's heroin addiction, in and of itself.? The fact that it got in the way of his playing obviously had a big impact on the rest of his life.

And while I'll give him credit too for getting clean, I remain sceptical of just what the guy has left to offer in the way music.? Of course he's welcome to prove me wrong at any time.

I post in red cause I like the colour.? Grin

Have you heard the demos on the Adlers Appetite website - his drumming is awesome.? He has a lot to offer if people just gave him the chance and stopped running him down.? I am not quite sure why you dislike him so - what has he ever done to you??
? Huh

jgfnsr
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »

OK, it's just that it burns my retina reading it.

Have you heard the demos on the Adlers Appetite website - his drumming is awesome.? He has a lot to offer if people just gave him the chance and stopped running him down.

Steven's drumming has always been awsome.  But it takes more than a great drummer to come up with something worth listening too.

I am not quite sure why you dislike him so - what has he ever done to you??[/b] [/color]? Huh

He ran over my dog.
duffsgal
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2005, 10:59:06 PM »

So you are saying you didnt like the demos on AA site??? Man you are one hard to please guy!! ? ? yes

jgfnsr
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »

So you are saying you didnt like the demos on AA site??? Man you are one hard to please guy!! ? ? yes

(Not sure why my last post is in red...)

Aaaaanyway, yeah I did listen to the demos.  I didn't think they were anything to write home about, but that's just my opinion. 

Bottom line, Adler is a great drummer.  Nothing more or less. 

But it takes more than a great drummer to build a decent band around...
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 07:40:03 AM »

i'd certainly agree with you there, which was why i was pretty bummed to find out brent wasn't involved as much nowadays, simply cos he has the writing history of success and quality. jizzy and adler are great (love/hate are honestly great for the first two albums) but kerri and robbie really only have experience playing other peoples songs in a myriad of bands. i mean, if you go on metal sludge kerri kelli is basically a running joke for playing in every band under the sun.

that's why i'm interested for them to do an album and so on to see what they're like writing material together. i'm willing them on but i feel they stood a much better chance with brent in the band. but supposedly he's only not on board for this european tour then he's back. then we'll see i guess!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 08:37:25 AM »

TheDude is on the drug that killed River Phoenix, so hurry up n' die..................that was a joke.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
jgfnsr
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 10:45:09 PM »

TheDude is on the drug that killed River Phoenix, so hurry up n' die..................that was a joke.

Stop....you're hurting my feelings.  Cry

For the record, before The Dude gets too old in the decades to come, he plans on doin' the job himself.

How?

Riding a motorcycle off the edge of the Grand Canyon while snortin' coke off a 17-year old chick's naked breasts...   peace

(Hmmm...maybe I should sell tickets)
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »

I think my user name speaks all i need to say about what I think of Jizzy

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 05:54:08 AM »

the singer rocks, a success is if they music is good,
a commersial success would imo be selling out theaters worldwide, like bridesofdestruction? peace

maybe they do even better, that singer is pretty good and hooked up with a great drummer and guitarist? ok

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 05:56:17 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 06:04:23 AM »

yeah we'll see. i'm just  not sure how far they can go with that name to be honest. but yeah, if they got to the point where an album would chart  in the top 200 (so like, 5k in its first week) even if it dropped off straight away, and they could sell out 1-5k venues depending on the market, i think that would be an absolutely mind-blowing thing.

will they?

i really doubt it sadly, at least in the US, maybe have abit more luck in europe where theres still alot of diehard gunners who go gig-going.
i think its a good idea for them to be a support band for people though. they've mentioned sebitchian bach but i'm not sure how big the venues he plays in are? i think 500-1,500? suppose its a step up from 50 though!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 02:56:33 AM »

What would be a success...Steven not dying.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 08:05:33 PM »

Dispite what all the alder-holics think he drumming did absolutly nothing for any G n' R songs.

Tell that to Izzy, he has even said himself that he prefered Steven's drumming style and he suited Gn'R better..

joeyramone
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2005, 11:09:59 PM »

basically developing more as a band and not giving up due to lack of publicity/fame would probably be the answer
thejungle
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 05:20:07 AM »

its funny this thread has popped back up with all the recent shit thats gone on

to be honest releasing ANYTHING this year that doesn't suck ass i would consider a success for them now. if jizzy was in then releasing the album and touring off it, hopefully getting to support a biggest act and playing to 500-1000 people a show, but as it is, i'd just like to see them stick together, get some gigs in so people can see this new singer tersha, and then release something. at the moment fuck knows whats going on?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »

I'd be quite happy for the band to just keep releasing quality albums like Gilby Clarke, no need for singles, videos or mainstream success as long as his fans (me included) are happy with the quality of the records i won't have any complaints, whether that will be a success depends on what the band are aiming for, do they want to gain the success of Velvet Revolver or stay quite like Izzy Stradlin?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2005, 07:05:24 AM »

He is still on drugs - so there goes ur point.

Go check the interviews with the other bands that toured with him of late if u require 'proof'

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2005, 04:58:42 PM »

He is still on drugs - so there goes ur point.
Other peoples words, he maybe but considering the stroke and the state he's been in i think if he was still on the hard stuff he would be dead....maybe he is and just dead lucky but i don't see it.  Interviews i've read he admits he still smokes Pot and that's it so from a technical point of view he is still on 'Drugs'
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2005, 06:54:59 AM »

(I'm curious, why do you always post in red?)?

Have you heard the demos on the Adlers Appetite website - his drumming is awesome.? He has a lot to offer if people just gave him the chance and stopped running him down.? I am not quite sure why you dislike him so - what has he ever done to you??
? Huh
I personally have started to dislike him because he only seems to be crying about how all his problems have been because of someone else. Not to mention the "Axl can kiss my ass"-part.

I just think maybe he should take some responsibility.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2005, 04:01:18 AM »

Not to get his date cancelled.
A year ago when I came to see how much the ticket costs they told me it doesn't.
It was already called off due to selling less than 15 tickets here in Zagreb.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: