Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Why Gilby was fired from Gn'r?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Gilby was fired from Gn'r?  (Read 15791 times)
zqyx79
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: January 25, 2005, 08:45:34 AM »

Or maybe he leave Guns n' Roses but not was fired? Tell me about it.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:54:27 AM »

he stepped in 4 izzy and after the tour wen't over, things are a lil' blurry
he noticed the paycheck wasn't coming and took that as a hint according to himself...

then the dead-era began? Roll Eyes

not so familar whith it, i think maybe axl? anyone else know better?
maybe he wasn't considered as a real member Huh

d'ya like him?

here's some articles  ok

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=60

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=125

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:19:28 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Michael_Stradlin
Headliner

Ju Ju Hound

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 03:44:20 AM »

The really sad thing is when Gilby was fired from the band at the beginning he thought that were only rumours...? Undecided
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 03:46:04 AM by Michael_Stradlin » Logged

http://www.izzyontour.com

Ride On Down The Road Like a Dog on Concrete to the River in Miami on Fire with Smoke at 117* as Wave of Heat with Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 04:40:04 AM »

He was fired. Why? There are two reasons: Axl Rose and Paul Huge/Ono/Tobias.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 06:19:38 PM »

Gilby is the man I loved him in GN'R

EEEERRRR Little boy
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 10:05:56 PM »

i don't think it was anything really bad between gilby and axl, after all axl sang with gilby on one of his records and even joined him live on stage in 2000 i think. I guess gilby figured he was done when he stopped getting payed way back when... i guess he still gets a little from tsi and the tokyo vids tho maybe. not sure...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 05:33:45 PM »

I recall Slash saying something about how Matt and Gilby could fill Steven and Izzys places for the tour but that when they went back to recording they missed them.
Also I dont think Gilby is rithm material, come on!He?s a kick ass lead guitar player.I doubt he LOOOOVEEEDDD playing rithm.

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:45:50 PM »

I think he would have stayed in GN'R tho if he could have, even if it was only for the rythm job!  peace hihi

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 09:20:09 AM »

I recall that Gilby sued GNR about money but my memory is fuzzy.
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 10:51:19 AM »

never considered him a member, just a temporary substitute guitarist.
usurper
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »

Thats not very nice. I consider him a member because he fit in the band, he could actually play a guitar, he's not a fake, he has a fucking great stage persona and he looks really cool. Also he is a bloody nice guy, thats rare in good musicians these days.0
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 05:01:59 PM »

Thats not very nice. I consider him a member because he fit in the band, he could actually play a guitar, he's not a fake, he has a fucking great stage persona and he looks really cool. Also he is a bloody nice guy, thats rare in good musicians these days.0

And he started to write music for the 'new' GN'R cd back then, so he was considered to be a permanent musician for the band.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 06:34:16 PM »

I seem to remember an article that came out back in '93 Kerrang mag. Where Gilby - i think he let rip about the attitudes and goings on in GN'R, and the guys - who ever it was weren't happy. 

And it wasn't too long before he was out of the band and he filed a law suit for using his image on promotional items without his permission? I seem to remember that being a reason put forward, it was along those lines anyway.  Some bollocks like that - obviously lawyers getting  involved to get the money he was owed.

Gilby was so cool for me - because i got into GN'R  in '92. He simply was the guitarist for GN'R. He looked cool, enjoyed himself onstage, famously learnt an incredible amount of songs in short space of time.

I think the fact that he  - i think i am right in saying - has worked with every member of GNR outside of the band  - on solo work. That speaks volumes of the respect he had earnt from those guys.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
usurper
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 04:25:59 AM »

Well, he is a better musician than Izzy. He seemed to fit the band like a glove to a hand.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »

He's not a better musician then Izzy, but as a guitarist he's technically better then Izzy. Gilby used to work as a session
guitarist, he came in when other guitarists couldn't cut it.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 09:52:40 AM »

IZZY IS A MUCH BETTER MUSICIAN THAN GILBY. He's on the same level as Axl when it comes to writing songs and if your into the old Gn'r then you'd have to like songs like DN'B,UTLH.DTJ,14 YEARS,PTU, the list of songs that Izzy helped write is endless (even popular songs like SCOM and YCBM). It's fair enough to say that Gilby was a nice guy, was more energetic on stage, was a technically better guitarist but none of those things count when it comes to writting music and releasing records, although Gilby has released a few albums they werent to my tastes but then again Izzy's albums might not be your tastes and thats fair enough I guesse it's different stokes for different folks Undecided

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
tjompus
Opening Act

Life Ain't So Shitty

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 02:32:32 PM »

Well, he is a better musician than Izzy. He seemed to fit the band like a glove to a hand.

Hell no!

But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 07:38:15 PM »

I recall Slash saying something about how Matt and Gilby could fill Steven and Izzys places for the tour but that when they went back to recording they missed them.

Matt wasn't hired for the tour... He plays 99% of UYI albums... and If Slash would ever said that why he got a band with Matt now? Maybe he could say something like that about Gilby, but I think Matt is a drummer that they consider best than Steven.

Gilby fit great in Guns... but I agree with you that he is a great lead guitar player, not a rhytm.
I even remember something I read about a fan or something that ask Gilby if he would like to get back to GNR and his answer was something like "they already got a lead guitar... " so, he don't want to be rhytm again.? I would love to see him back.... but I would love MORE to see Izzy back.

He's the ONE.

Some people here used to bash Izzy... I think they forgot that He and Axl started GNR and that Izzy wrote a big percent of the greatest music that Guns has made.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 07:41:00 PM by jk75 » Logged

//JK
usurper
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 06:58:31 AM »

I know Gilby may not be to your liking but did he quit GN'R in a middle of a massive world tour? Did he go back to his home to do donuts with his motorcycle in his front yard? Is he bitter about the fact he got fired ad replaced by Paul *shudder* Huge? No. That is the answer to every question asked here in my reply. You can't compare solo albums because both have the same qualities, they are both mediocre.

Here is a list of what songs Izzy wrote on his own:

Mr.Brownstone
Think about You
Patience
You ain't the First
Double Talkin' Jive

Ya see, he was not such a major influence on the song writing. It was mainly Axl's songs that got to the top 5. And at least Gilby has buried the hatchet about everything and move on. He even said he would not even mind rejoining GN'R. Have you heard Izzy say that? I don't thin so.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 07:29:01 AM »

Songs that Izzy helped write i.e ones when his name comes second are also largly influenced by him, I mean no-one knows exactly who wrote Nightrain because they all wrote it together. And the songs that Axl and Izzy wrote together just because Axl's name is credited before Izzy doen't mean he wrote more of the song. Anyway by no means am I saying that Izzy was Gn'R? himself, but give him some credit. He wrote Dust n' Bones, Pretty Tied Up, You Could Be Mine and Anything Goes aswell didn't? he Huh God this post is off topic anyway....Gilby was cool. ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: