Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 69946 times)
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2005, 06:13:07 PM »

It's a proper music publishing deal from what I understand

ok

Ahh.. great
Nice to c u back Mysteron!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »

I also noticed that Sanctuary Group owns Helter Skelter, a major live agency. It could be part of a future effort from the band to move all their activities (publishing, management, live performances) into the same group. That way they wouldn't have to deal with Clear Channel anymore.
Just speculation on my part here......

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2005, 08:43:36 PM »

Please, everyone commenting on my posts, please read ALL of the post....pretty please?

As I said, the deal is for the songbooks (ie: print licensing...whether they choose to use them or ship them out to someone else is up to them...but given they have their own actual publishing arm, I can't see why they'd do that) and, again, as I said I thought in the original post, the administration of various "use" rights.  My point was, it has nothing to do with GnR "changing labels".

Whoever quoted the snopes article (the board is super slow right now, can't get to the page) explained it much more eloquently than I did, but was essentially saying the same thing...thank you for that!  peace beer

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2005, 09:40:58 PM »

It's an interesting bit of news- but I don't think it's time to start planning CD release parties. As others have said "Futures" most likely should be read as "future publishing of already existing GN'R music". Obviously it seems to set-up Sanctuary to handle any CD publishing that comes along too- but I think this is mostly about Sanctuary wanting to make a nice buck when our musician kids go to music store 20 years from now and want to buy the sheet music for Use Your Illusion II.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2005, 10:36:40 PM »

It's a proper music publishing deal from what I understand

ok

sounds good to me ?ok

I'm in the Intellectual Property/Licensing industry, so maybe I can shed some light here to the naive.

This is HUGE, at least from a business and licensing perspective. And this is just not about publishing Music books. This is about Sancturay being the brokering agent for the copyrights to the GNR catalogue.

Basically, owning, or at least brokering the publishing rights to a music composition is maintaining licensing of the copyright of the work.

thanks for your insight.

i was browsing Sanctuary Group's site to understand what their various divisions do - particularly the Publishing, Music Publishing, and also - a seperate division - Music Licensing...

Sanctuary Music Licencing
Sanctuary Music Licensing represents the world's largest independent music catalogue, with over 150,000 tracks.

Music is licensed for use worldwide in TV programmes, movies and commercials as well as to legitimate internet download services such as iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody and Sony Connect and telecoms services for use in ringtones and downloads.

So, if its a different division than Music Publishing ?- that leads me to believe there are differences between what these different divisoins handle - I would assume they don't duplicate efforts. ?So at what point does Publishing end and Licensing pick up?

Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2005, 11:11:54 PM »

but I think this is mostly about Sanctuary wanting to make a nice buck when our musician kids go to music store 20 years from now and want to buy the sheet music for Use Your Illusion II.

From what's been said, it's much more than this. Selling the rights to "sheet music" for GnR is not news and not relevant. Even if it's not directly linked to the future CD release, it's more about who owns GnR music for licensing for possible commercials, movies or cover versions from other bands. But I'm hoping that this is a sign that the newest music GnR has written will be with us soon!
And it's easy for people to confuse Sanctuary records (the label) with Sanctuary group that manages the band. They're not related. The Universal umbrella still owns GnR and Geffen, I believe.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2005, 11:15:43 PM »

I thought I read somewhere in the article the words "future release" or "releases"?  I'm still un-sure of what this means for GN'R's future or newest album release?
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2005, 11:21:48 PM »

It means Axl opened up the magic box of FINAL LEAD VOCAL TRACKS and FULL SONG LYRICS for COPYRIGHTING the new material.
god i hope it's so beer
they said legals issues is holding back it's release, and now that those issues seems out of the way...

WAKE UP!!! TIME... headbanger

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2005, 11:23:52 PM »

all this talk (once again) has me very interested in understanding the music business and the different aspects etc...
well... i came across this

um... so who can decipher it?  Grin
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2005, 11:27:11 PM »

Man some of you are so hardcore, it's great.  I like the chart Eva.  I think it's saying that all session guitarists/players will get credit and the money they deserve when CD hits stores in the next few months?  I always thought Axl would say something before March, something has to come of this.  I mean would it make headlines if it didn't mean something?  I don't think so.  Bring on some new stuff Axl, it's destined to happen now!
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2005, 11:35:27 PM »

Well, this does look like a positive sign. I feel more positive hearing this than anything I heard from Tommy and Dizzy, but yet I can't help but be skeptical. It is possible than this deal wasn't signed because CD was finished but because their old deal had expired?
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2005, 11:46:43 PM »

I find this particular line interesting : "including classics such as G'N'R's Sweet Child Of Mine."  To me, the wording definitely 
implies that sanctuary only has licensing rights to certain songs in GNR's back-catalog...There's a distinction for sure, else it would have made a point to mention the fact that it was the entire catalog...I feel this might be part of the settlement(Giving Axl publishing rights over certain tracks with which he was most involved creatively).  Just a guess..
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2005, 11:51:27 PM »

Guys,

PUBLISHING ALSO MEANS: PUBLISHING MUSIC.

Meaning music is published, like books or song books.

Do a search on google for "music publishing"

geeeeeez why all the posts on that???
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2005, 12:00:44 AM »

Man it's been so long and all we've gotten are bits and pieces of news.  The only stuff we've had are little sayings from TOmmy who obviously has no idea what the hell is going on.  Just bring on the album or give and update and some random website.  One of us is bound to de-code or find some secret message if Axl decides to fuck with us before releasing his baby.
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2005, 12:35:02 AM »

It means Sanctuary publishing will now be publishing the song books (ie: the physical printouts of the music and/or tabs) going forward. ?When they say "future releases", they mean Warner will no longer be publishing THEIR versions of the songbooks (for AFD, UYI I and II, Lies etc...or at least any music Axl wrote for those albums) and Sanctuary publishing will now be releasing THEIR versions of the songbooks. ?Now, whether those song books can contain material written by anyone OTHER than Axl (like, the rest of his former band mates) is an interesting question. ?They're NOT talking about "publishing" CD's.

Edit: I think it may also mean that Sanctuary Publishing would handle administering the "rights" to material, but I'm not sure about that.

Again, this deal has NOTHING to do with publishing CD's, albums, etc, etc.

doesn't look like any of you know what a Publishing deal is, but this ^ is close to it.

That reads in layman's terms :

Sanctuary have complete say in the use of ALL LYRICS - past and future - written solely by Axl Rose.
This includes having them in an album sleeve, on a T Shirt, in an Advert, songbooks ... etc.
Basically wherever anything written by Axl Rose is reprinted, Sanctuary get a cut, and so does [Axl].

Your record company may own the rights to your music [audio] but not to your lyrics - UNLESS you sell the right to them.
Which looks like has happened here with Axl and Sanctuary.

A Publishing deal is where artists get almost all their money from.
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2005, 12:37:35 AM »

?Roll Eyes wonder what the average iq here are, ?Tongue i thought it was songbooks 4 one ?hihi
then it set for release? ?beer

V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2005, 01:19:33 AM »

Roll Eyes wonder what the average iq here are,  Tongue i thought it was songbooks 4 one  hihi
then it set for release?  beer

Actually... i'm not so sure anymore.....
Anyways check this.

http://www.universalmusicpublishing.com/artistswriters_newreleases.aspx
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2005, 01:31:04 AM »

v thanks 4 that link, no gnr at upcoming releases help me maybe jarmo can provide the rest of that first article...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 01:32:52 AM by norway » Logged

Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2005, 02:04:31 AM »

Sanctuary have complete say in the use of ALL LYRICS - past and future - written solely by Axl Rose.
This includes having them in an album sleeve, on a T Shirt, in an Advert, songbooks ... etc.
Basically wherever anything written by Axl Rose is reprinted, Sanctuary get a cut, and so does [Axl].

I don't think it's just the lyrics ; I think the music comes with it, as long as Axl as created it.

I was looking as the UYI booklet : Gn'R songs in the past were published by Guns n'Roses ASCAP, which means a collective contract for the old band. It would make sense for Axl to get an individual publishing deal now.

The thing is, he could only need it for his old material...
DemocracyRose
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2005, 02:36:34 AM »

From Sp1at.com

The Story

Guns n Roses frontman and sole remaining original member Axl Rose has according to Sanctuary Music Group signed a new music publishing deal with Sanctuary Music Publishing. Previously Axl Rose's music was published by Warner Chappell.

The deal, which has been confirmed by Sanctuary includes Axl Rose's whole back catalogue (including classics such as Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain and Patience) and any forthcoming releases from Axl or his band.

A spokesperson for Sanctuary Group said "the deal represents the latest step in building the Sanctuary Music Group portfolio; publishing is a strategic priority for the group".

Deke Arlon the President and CEO of Sanctuary Music Group is said to have played a major role in the new deal. Although Splat believes that Guns n Roses manager Merck Mercuriadis (CEO of Sanctuary Group) will have played an instrumental role in the deal.

This move is the first confirmed sign of Guns n Roses movement from the publicity shy Rose since he released a statement in March 2004 announcing that Guns wouldn't be performing at Rock in Rio 4 due to the departure of lead guitarist Buckethead.

Chinese Democracy, the band's long awaited album is due for release some time between April and Christmas depending on which report's you believe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: