Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227799 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  JCM 800
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JCM 800  (Read 7429 times)
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« on: February 13, 2005, 12:43:26 PM »

Hi, could someone please help
Im buying a new amp for my birthday.? Smiley Im choosing between a JCM 800 and a JCM 2000 TSL. The TSL has three channels so why is the 800 more exspensive Huh
Any help would be great? ok

« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 06:00:57 PM by *Izzy* » Logged

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 05:25:41 PM »

There are a few original JCM800 heads on eBay that are going for less than the average TSL head. If you can buy used do it and save yourself some cash. Plus you can get a real JCM800 for less than the current reissue.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »

Thanks Darkburst ok
So  I should go for the 800 then
I'm still not sure, i'd like more than one channel Huh

smoking Izzy  smoking

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 07:22:25 PM »

Well what's your budget? So do you want a combo or a halfstack? I got my Marshall 2555 for $1000 used and it has two channels (though they share the same EQ). I can't remember exactly what I paid for my 4x12 Marshall cab (definitely less than half of the new price), it's a little beat up on the outside but works perfectly. There are also JCM800 1987s with two channels too. Most original JCM800s from the 80s go for less than $1000 in eBay. If you really need a decent channel switching head that's readily available I'd also check out the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 watt head. I like the sound better than the TSL.
MAD at NASCAR
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 07:28:59 PM »

jcm 800 has better tone.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »

Unfortuantly I live in Ireland Grin you cant get much amps where I live so when I saw these to I got pretty excited
the 100watt 800 reissue costs something like 1700Euro/dollars and the TSL costs 1300Euro/dollars both are brand new
are these good prices. I'm not buying any cabs yet (im not rich Sad),I'll be using my old speakers there ancient they don't even have a brand name.Im a bit paranoid about buying things second hand so ebay is out of the question since I won't even be able to play on them before I buy, I might look for some used amps here in Ireland. Thanks for all the help.? ok

p.s are the prices above reasonable in your opinion?

smoking Izzy? smoking

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

Marshalls should be cheaper in Ireland than here in the USA. Try to find a used JCM800 to try out, they're so much cheaper than the reissue and they're the original.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 06:29:08 AM »

O.K thanks for the help i'll look for a good used 800, I might not be able to find anyone with an original? and I doubt the'd want to give theirs away. I might have to try the ebay UK if I try that I should? pobably try to get a Jubilee or a Slash Sig. I don't know much about those, from what I see on Ebay there more exspensive than an 800 is that 'cos there better or just because there rare? Huh? Anyway? thanks for? the help? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »

You can get a non-silver Marshall 2555 ( same as the silver Slash sig) for around $1000, sometimes less if you are lucky. It has two channels also. Original JCM800s aren't rare and people sell them all the time. Hopefully you can find one to try out, you could possibly save yourself a lot of money.

Go here for more amp questions:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28

There are quite a few European members there too.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 11:05:13 AM »

Thanks for the help? ok

What do you think of this it's orange but look at the price that current bid is around 670Euro/dollars
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7300579408&rd=1

smoking Izzy? smoking

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »

Also found this 2000 TSL starting bid at 800Euro/dollars
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7300310392&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
And this Jubille starting bid at 999Euro/dollars
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=7300258818&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

Out those three which would you buy Huh

Thanks for the help ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 12:37:33 PM »

That black Marshall 2555 is the same model I have. It's the same as the Silver Jubilee and Slash sig. Like I said it has two channels, but they share an EQ. This isn't a major problem for me since I found a setting where it sounds great for both clean and distorted. The cool thing about the 2555 is it can go from classic rock tones up to 80's metal and anywhere in between. You can even crank the clean channel and get AC/DC like crunch. Just remember this is a 100 watt head, it's friggin' loud and sounds best with the Master Output above 4. It also has a half-power switch for less volume, but I feel the tone isn't quite as good in this mode.

The red/orange JCM 800 looks sweet. The only issue is it only has one channel. So you may need a decent pedal if you want to switch from semi-cleans to lead tones.

I still think the JCM 2000 DSL 50 is better than the TSL tone-wise. If you can try them both out you'll hear which you like better.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 12:57:42 PM »

O.K Thanks ok? I narrowed it down to the orange/red one because of the great price (670Euro/dollars) and the fact that the TSL can't be shipped to Ireland.
But then I saw this one, I don't have a clue what it is it doesn't look like Slash's old Jubilee and not just because of the colour it's around 730Euro/dollars, what do you think, what is it? Huh
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7300519367&rd=1

Thanks for the help ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

pewing33ny
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 08:23:19 PM »

i don't like the jcm 2000, it's very nasally and compressed.

the jcm 800 is just as versitile as the jcm 2000, it's very dynamic and if you know how to use your volume knob you'll have no problem going from clean to crunch. plus if you want to go high gain get a tubescreamer and hit that for a great lead or higher gain sound as a boost.

it may be a little more money but you'll have an amp more reliable, better sounding and one that will maintain it's value and worth alot longer then the tsl's.  plus even though it's a reissue it has the same specs as the old 2203 but everything is brand new.

if you want to get a slash sound the jcm 800 will also be better.
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 12:00:04 AM »

screw it - buy a peavey
then you'll have money for a good cab with great speakers
= you are set

& it will sound better than your half wit TSL with decent cab with crap speakers for a million dollars set up.

The GT75's that come stock with Marshall cabs are fine if intend to detune & play mud. Fine for some metal but I hate them. o yea I hate them.

In other words, Don't buy a new Marshall amp & Don't buy a new Marshall Cab. You'll save yourself about $1000. sounds like you may not need a 100 watt amp ...? thats another story. Look out for the 50 or 60 watt .....? ?

peace? -BP
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 12:02:48 AM by Bi Polar » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: