Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's in-ear monitor mix and some comments on Axl from monitor engineer
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's in-ear monitor mix and some comments on Axl from monitor engineer  (Read 8068 times)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« on: February 13, 2005, 09:03:19 PM »

from http://www.ultimateears.com/press_FOH_madness2003.htm

The wild and wooly GNR tour featured two monitor engineers, with dueling desks set up side by side on a 24 by 15-foot rolling riser. Mike Adams mixed the band, and Williams*, using a 48-channel Midas Heritage 3000, mixed for Axl, and Axl only. "I ended up doing downstage wedges, upstage butt fill wedges, stage left side fill, stage right side fill, left and right in-ear and three groups of stereo effects on him. There were 48 channels, and 95% of that was for his in-ear."
  Shocked

article dated March of '03 so it could be in reference to the '02 tour - which based on the equip they talk about is likely since i don't think it was around for the old GN'R days...

*the engineer's, Maxie William's bio http://prosoundweb.com/live/articles/nancy/maxie.shtml doesn't mention his work with Axl/GN'R but seems a bit dated since it seems the most current work they reference is his work with Stone Temple Pilots

another article (from Mix Magazine) on ultimate ears website...
mentions Axl in comments from Blake Suib, a top monitor engineer

from http://www.ultimateears.com/press_Mix_jan2002.htm Jan 02

Blake Suib has been using IEMs since the late '80s.... Most recently, he was the monitor supervisor and a mixer on Madonna's recent tour, worked with Axl Rose...,

"The biggest mistake a lot of engineers make is to give the artist in-ear monitors before the mix is completely dialed," he continues. "And what I mean is, take an artist like Madonna or Axl - you want to make sure you have the band in a rehearsal or soundcheck situation for a while before the artist ever comes in, so when you go and hand them their in-ear monitors and beltpack, you've got your mix 100 percent dialed, so they either say, 'This is great,' or 'This sucks.' You don't want to get in a situation where the first day they have to say, 'Turn up, turn down, do this, do that.' It gets to the point where, after they've gotten used to the initial great sound that you can give them, then they can go song by song and say, 'On this one, I want a little more drums. On this one, I want a little less,' and so on and so forth."

and comments on MSG:? "Probably the best-sounding arena in the country is Madison Square Garden, and it's for one reason only," he says. "The ceiling height is about half of most of the new arenas. There's that much less reverb time on your mix. It's very simple. A bad arena means you make a lot more changes...."

they say he worked with Axl Rose and this is dated Jan of '02 which would (obviously) be before the 02 tour...
wonder if he worked with Axl for the HOB, RIR3, or the Hard Rock Vegas gigs?

GN'R is listed in their clientele page
http://www.ultimateears.com/clientele.htm

in any event... whoever is doing Axl's in-ear mix for the next tour - i bet it won't be the guy who worked on the VMA performance? hihi
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 09:05:37 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
jgfnsr
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:42:58 PM »

Yeah, Axl's ear-piece seems to have been his #1 problem during live-performances in recent times.  He's always fidgeting with it. 

Like the Rock in Rio show a few years back when he was holding up his mic-cord, signaling that something was wrong with it.  He was pissed.  If I had been that poor tech-guy, I would have run for my life.  nervous
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 10:42:05 PM »

Yeah, I don't really understand why Axl has so many problems. I know he's ultra-active on stage, but no one else seems to have the problems he does...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 11:51:20 PM »

the monitor wasnt what had him huffing and puffing at the VMA's

no excuses the guy took off on an enormous wind sprint, u do that while singing and not properly warmed up anyone would be blown up *or out of breath*

it wasnt cause he was out of shape or anything like that, but anytime u are standing still and just take off at top speed when u stop u will *blowup* or become very winded till u catch your wind then everything is good to go from that point on

mix the adrenaline and nerves with that wind sprint and that threw axl off during WTTJ

he performed the first half of WTTJ and all of Madagascar and PC too well for it to be his ear monitor *that could cause him to sing off key but it wasnt his key it was his wind, watch it again and check axl out.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 12:02:31 AM »

from http://www.ultimateears.com/press_FOH_madness2003.htm

The wild and wooly GNR tour featured two monitor engineers, with dueling desks set up side by side on a 24 by 15-foot rolling riser. Mike Adams mixed the band, and Williams*, using a 48-channel Midas Heritage 3000, mixed for Axl, and Axl only. "I ended up doing downstage wedges, upstage butt fill wedges, stage left side fill, stage right side fill, left and right in-ear and three groups of stereo effects on him. There were 48 channels, and 95% of that was for his in-ear."
  Shocked
Shocked Shocked Shocked
You can see how many stuff is going on with the band when you have to put two boards, one mixed only for the singer! That's really awesome!

Thanks for the articles/tidbits, Eva. Always good to read technical stuff about the band and its sound.  ok

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 12:12:34 AM »

in any event... whoever is doing Axl's in-ear mix for the next tour - i bet it won't be the guy who worked on the VMA performance? hihi
I bet it won't be that sound guy from R3 either that Axl angrily motioned to onstage.
Axl really had me scared and I was watching it months later at home on dvd.? nervous

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 05:59:06 AM »

Thanks Eva!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 06:54:54 AM »

go to sound check axl and get it all dialed in before you even hit the stage then you dont need to fuck with that shit when your on stage....
nuzreq
Opening Act

women and children first.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 08:07:43 AM »

I think the problem isn't that the sound isn't "dialed in" but that the damn ear piece keeps falling or almost falling out of his ear.  I am sure all of us have, at least once, used those ear-bud headphones, now imagine running around on stage with something like that.  It is bound to be uncomfortable.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 09:18:04 AM »

can his thing on his waist be a remote 4 adjustin levels and add effect?
or is just his piece 4 hearin himself and the music?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
neko
Rocker

Coco el rey de las moronas

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 03:25:05 PM »

yeas whats that that thing that he keeps using in the concerts? it looks like is an amplifier for his microphone or something.

and i think the main problem whith Axl onstage its that his a perfecionist , maybe every thing its ok but he is just angry that the sound isnt like he wants.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 10:19:15 PM »

I think the problem isn't that the sound isn't "dialed in" but that the damn ear piece keeps falling or almost falling out of his ear.? I am sure all of us have, at least once, used those ear-bud headphones, now imagine running around on stage with something like that.? It is bound to be uncomfortable.

ultimate ears website talks about having ear impressions made for their custom personal monitors
... so i don't think it'd be like those earbuds... but we don't know if this is what Axl had (for example) at the VMAs

can his thing on his waist be a remote 4 adjustin levels and add effect?
or is just his piece 4 hearin himself and the music?

i think you've got the right idea...
he hears himself and the music through the in-ear monitor...
... as for the beltpack.. the thing we see Axl 'messing with' on his pants waistband..
here is one of those
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=186580

has volume and balance control... and "Mix Balance Dial which This offers dedicated control of left/right balances in stereo mode or the mix level of two transmitter inputs in MixMode"
though we dont' know which kind/type Axl used/uses...
seems adjusting the volue and mix somewhat is what these things allow the performer to do
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 04:33:29 AM »

if he went to souncheck and he could hear himself sing and they could set the soundboard and mixing equipment to the way he wants it .. then he wouldnt have to worry about that thing falling out of his ear...

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 06:45:27 AM »

the thing falling out of his ear has to do with the fit of the piece... not soundcheck Wink
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 08:02:28 AM »

the thing falling out of his ear has to do with the fit of the piece... not soundcheck Wink

no shit... but if he would go to a soundcheck with his band they could find the correct vocal/music mix that would allow axl to hear himself while singing live and he wouldnt ever have to to wear that stupid thing...
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 10:57:43 AM »

go to sound check axl and get it all dialed in before you even hit the stage then you dont need to fuck with that shit when your on stage....

wise post

homo homini lupus...
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 11:42:01 AM »

no shit... but if he would go to a soundcheck with his band they could find the correct vocal/music mix that would allow axl to hear himself while singing live and he wouldnt ever have to to wear that stupid thing...

of course going to soundcheck is the right thing to do!  Cheesy
your earlier post talked about the thing falling out of his ear... which i was just pointing out has/had nothing to do with going to soundcheck or not
its pretty interesting on ultimate ears website talking about how you have to get an mold made
its pretty involved

and as we know Axl DID go to soundcheck for the VMAs...
he also mentioned at the HOB that he went to soundcheck (laughing how it was a first for him  Grin )

(his using the in-ear monitor (that he did not use in the old days) might have something to do with that.... )

but that wouldn't/doesn't eliminate the purpose of the in-ear monitor which is so he can hear himself Wink

michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »

You can see how many stuff is going on with the band when you have to put two boards, one mixed only for the singer! That's really awesome!

No, thats just really retarded and a waste of money and equipment. Axl must really lack confidence in his live voice to feel like he needs THAT much monitor power just so he can hear himself. There is zero need for any singer to need an in-ear system plus monitor wedges up the ass on every end of the stage. The whole purpose of the in-ear system is to eliminate the need for really loud monitors on stage that can damage your hearing (in-ear systems can be run at a much lower volume, giving you a cleaner mix that won't blow your ears out). Either Axl is way paranoid or he is really losing his hearing because that is a lot of onstage monitor volume for just a singer, especially for a rock god of perfection like Axl.  Roll Eyes
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 05:09:56 PM »

whatever Axl uses for his performances he does so that he can deliver his best possible performance
Axl always gives 100%....   his willingness to utilize technology (to better his performance is for us - the fans)
should be appreciated
his voice is HIS voice... the monitors do not alter his voice
how does wanting to utilize the best technology equal lack of self confidence
I'm sure as a professional performer he knows what he is doing with on stage monitors in place as well as the in-ear...
As a fan I wouldn't concern myself with his 'wasting money and equipment' - I'd rather just as soon be appreciative that the performer is doing all he can to deliver his best  ok
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 06:13:54 PM »

Overconfident one makes a mess of it and doesn't even aware of it.

It's such people who mess up the world.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: