Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Axl Rose Typecast?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Axl Rose Typecast?  (Read 2527 times)
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« on: February 20, 2005, 07:24:03 PM »

Just suppose he wanted to push the boundaries, maybe out of hard rock, into other genres (besides rap), how do you think he would fair?  Does his voice suit other types of music? And if he tried anything other than hard rock or rock ballads would the general GNR fan base be willing to accept it?

Here today...ready to rock
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 07:28:12 PM »

Just suppose he wanted to push the boundaries, maybe out of hard rock, into other genres (besides rap), how do you think he would fair?? Does his voice suit other types of music? And if he tried anything other than hard rock or rock ballads would the general GNR fan base be willing to accept it?

People don't want rock stars to change.  They expect them to have the same haircut and wear the same clothes forever.  No one will ever get past the image of Axl in the SCOM video, for example.  They'll never get past the music on AFD.
bad tripp
Headliner

Here Today... Probably Here Tommorrow

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 07:38:45 PM »

Just suppose he wanted to push the boundaries, maybe out of hard rock, into other genres (besides rap), how do you think he would fair?  Does his voice suit other types of music? And if he tried anything other than hard rock or rock ballads would the general GNR fan base be willing to accept it?

People don't want rock stars to change.  They expect them to have the same haircut and wear the same clothes forever.  No one will ever get past the image of Axl in the SCOM video, for example.  They'll never get past the music on AFD.

I agree once they get used to him the want him to remain the same. Just like how people bitch about Axls new look. aswell as they want the  music to evolve but remain relativly the same If CS is too differentit might run the risk of alienating all the fans.

a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »

I'm not a fan of his new look either.  I miss his old face.  It was comforting.  And I worry about him 'cause of that...

So I understand how it is not to want people to change.  But on the other hand, I know how it is when people want you to be like you used to be, but you just aren't that person anymore.  And it's a horrible feeling when people treat you like that.

I think the fans are already alienated.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 07:54:43 PM »

Just suppose he wanted to push the boundaries, maybe out of hard rock, into other genres (besides rap), how do you think he would fair?? Does his voice suit other types of music? And if he tried anything other than hard rock or rock ballads would the general GNR fan base be willing to accept it?

Shit he could sing with avril n pink right now and I'd be happy..  I wouldn't want him to switch..  I have the image branded into my head.. I wouldn't want him to sing rap or hip hop, I'm sure he could become a new elton john and sit at a piano like a lounge singer..`
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 07:56:52 PM »

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we (the fans) want.  Personally, I want him to retire right now.  But that's not happening, I guess.  He'll do what he does, and people will think what they think. 
dangnr
Headliner

My babys gotta locomotive

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 08:31:15 PM »

being a typecast or labeled is something that happens to all rock stars. You build your name up then your expected to be the same forever as if your not alowed to grow old or go towards another musicial direction. Bob Dylan refused to be labeled and i think with Axls new music he too will be hard to label,
80's hard rocker, 90's reclusive rock star, the milleniums??? who knows
jgfnsr
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 09:09:58 PM »

To answer the basic question....yes, of course he is.

Being typecast as to his look is not Axl's biggest problem however. 

It's being typecast to his music.  Even from a handful of interviews it's obvious Axl realizes that, in recording a new Guns N' Roses album - without the particapation of his former bandmates, he is walking a very fine line as to what will work and what won't.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 12:02:17 AM »

i think he should sing old time blues songs,like the black men sang yrs ago.it would be awesome if he did something like that.i love the blues music.

the one an only horsey !
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 07:11:09 AM »

Well as I recall (and you Axl lovers please verify) wasn't it true that there was resistance to GNR doing that song Patience?  Did that stop him...granted this was at his peak, when GNR were the best thing since sliced bread, but unless age has mellowed his desire for control (which I don't think it has Huh)...he could very well throw babng out  a gospel tune on piano, and it doesn't matter how much opposition he gets, he'll do what he wants to do, and people will either throw judgements on him or they will dig it...he makes music for himself.
wink
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 10:11:17 AM »

typecast - yes
in the sence that back in the day he missed like 10 shows out of 300 and he is forever labeled as a 'no show'.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 11:38:32 AM »

People don't want rock stars to change.

David Bowie has rung the changes and he's a successful rock star all the better for that.

Beatles made a big change once.
Their early works are more familiar but if it were not for their later works, they would be heard much less now. 

EDIT I think one should do anything good for them too, Jessica.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 12:52:00 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 11:48:05 AM »

Well, he has a gorgeous low voice that could well suit musicals. He could also do jazz ( moreover as he also plays piano beautifully).

Personally, i think he would be marvellous into dubbing, doing voices for games, radio, films and documentaries ( gorgeous gorgeous speaking voice, a true blessing for that).

As a " fan", i accept anything, simply because it's not my life, it's his and one has to do what makes THEM ( HIM) happy.

Nothing to say
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 01:44:29 PM »

I think rock fans need to get over that "Never Change" attitude. I remember Incubus fans giving Brandon Boyd shit because he cut off his dreads. Fans need to do what I do, take a breath,sit down and say WHO GIVES A FUCK!!!

As long as the music is solid I could care less if Axl comes on stage sporting a Fro and a fuckin'
G-unit jersey  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 01:54:24 PM »

David Bowie has rung the changes and he's a successful rock star all the better for that.

Thats precisely who I had in mind when I wrote the thread. If I'm completely honest I wouldn't like Axl to change that much, yet, but I think he has the potential to adapt his style. I think the general population would warm to him if it was a gradual change.

Here today...ready to rock
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 02:02:07 PM »

whatever Axl does as far as his style in dress/music/etc...
its always been a reflection and true expression of himself
while there may be a huge segment of the population that see's Axl in one light or another...
the truth is that he has always be changing and evolving and growing as an artist and a person
if someone happens to identify him with one era or another... one video or another...
that is no different than any other artist

some artists/performers don't change their appearnace or style of music over decades

look at (and I'm not starting anything - i swear) but look at Slash
the guy IMO has not changed in any way (that is perceptible)
and that is comforting to a lot of people
perhaps it is the way he is also most comfortable

and Axl on the other hand apparently is not into remaining the same from decade to decade

he could be 'typecast' to some
and yet to others who know more about the guy besides remembering seeing him in a video or two 15 years ago...
it should be clear that he is fond of change Wink
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 04:35:28 PM »

whatever Axl does as far as his style in dress/music/etc...
its always been a reflection and true expression of himself
while there may be a huge segment of the population that see's Axl in one light or another...
the truth is that he has always be changing and evolving and growing as an artist and a person
if someone happens to identify him with one era or another... one video or another...
that is no different than any other artist

some artists/performers don't change their appearnace or style of music over decades

look at (and I'm not starting anything - i swear) but look at Slash
the guy IMO has not changed in any way (that is perceptible)
and that is comforting to a lot of people
perhaps it is the way he is also most comfortable

and Axl on the other hand apparently is not into remaining the same from decade to decade

he could be 'typecast' to some
and yet to others who know more about the guy besides remembering seeing him in a video or two 15 years ago...
it should be clear that he is fond of change Wink

I think that`s a good point here.  Slash has not changed in his look and I think that is a reflection of himself, too. Imo his music style hasn`t changed, too and that`s why he isn`t in GnR anymore. Axl wanted the music to develop, but Slash only wanted to do the same again and again. As Axl said in an interview in 99 or 00 "Slash and Duff hate the new music that`s coming out...." Axl  is an open minded guy and said that he`d listen to modern music andwanted to goa step further with the music, but Slash and Duff didn`t want that and I think with the new songs I`ve heard I can say that Axl  succeeded with that.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
jingles
Opening Act

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 10:04:19 AM »

If Axl was worried about what others thought he would have released some half assed CD by now.  I hope all GNR, old and new, does either A) whatever they want and does not fall into the rut of playing their old songs in their old outfits for $5 concerts for the rest of their lives or B) retire a legend. Obviously I hope for (A).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: