Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Blink-182
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blink-182  (Read 25667 times)
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

fair enough.

I think when they took more serious tones on their previous albums, i dunno, the songs came across better. "Adams Song" "Stay Together For The Kids" etc. Cool tunes!

I just couldnt get in to that last one. I hated that miss you song with a passion. But "feeling this" was pretty cool.

html sucks
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »

I like "miss you" and i like "what's my age again"  Smiley liking them for what they are, But i guess i like the funnier catchy songs better, i probably consider them the best band in the "genre", would be cool to see them live
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »

I like "miss you" and i like "what's my age again"  Smiley liking them for what they are, But i guess i like the funnier catchy songs better, i probably consider them the best band in the "genre", would be cool to see them live
I would agree on that. I can tolerate these guys. While not the most serious of bands, their pop punk songs are good and not lacking in substance.

I think alot of the other bands of the genre, like crappy Bowling for Soup, try too hard to make every video a "teenage comedy" movie.

html sucks
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2009, 11:40:03 PM »

Going to see these guys in October at MSG. Figured I'd check them out once, can say that I've seen them then. Back in 1999/2000 I was into them a good deal...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »

It looks like Blink-182 just dropped the rock album of the year.  Getting great reviews everywhere.

Blink-182 "Neighborhoods" Review ? 5 out of 5 stars

"I saw your ghost tonight," exclaims Tom DeLonge. "It fucking hurt like hell."

The final refrain of "Ghost On The Dance Floor" is equally charming and chilling. It's the last phrase on the opening track of Blink-182's anxiously awaited new album, Neighborhoods, and it holds heavy resonances throughout the rest of the journey that follows.

Neighborhoods isn't simply Blink-182's best album, it's a landmark rock record. The trio effectively manages to infuse an otherworldly darkness a la Muse into the pop punk format that they pioneered.

"Ghost On The Dance Floor" is the perfect example of that hybrid. A swirl of distortion and synths encases Travis Barker's patented pounding before a snappy guitar propels the song into an arena-ready hook. Mark Hoppus's bass rumbles as DeLonge tears through a calculated, catchy riff twang. Lyrics like "Dreams can't all be real" resound most powerfully as the music cascades from orchestral art rock into near-metallic pop.

A bombastic buildup fuels "Natives" as Hoppus and DeLonge trade lines and licks with an impressive seamlessness. The speed conjures the group's early material, but the evolution feels immediately palpable.

Hoppus croons, "I'm just a waste of your time, maybe I'm better off dead" and "I'm fucking Jekyll and Hyde" before calling for independence. The punk spirit underneath it all doesn't rely on old tricks of the trade or practical jokes; it relies on the talent of the three musicians themselves.

"Up All Night" exudes a Foo Fighters-style bravado, but there's a certain sonic daring that separates Blink-182 from their peers. The instrumental "Heart's All Gone [Interlude]" is a gorgeous and melancholic display of the group's musical prowess. It moves and shifts symphonically before the punked out powder keg that it explodes into.

After moodier fare such as the excellent "Love Is Dangerous" and "Fighting The Gravity", Blink-182 gives us their most cinematic tune yet, "Even If She Falls". It's a beautiful closing tune giving the band one final hurrah as they run from Neighborhoods into outer space.

Blink-182 have certainly come a long way from Dude Ranch, but they've never compromised who they are. Those "ghosts" are still present and will happily haunt listeners forever.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »

It looks like Blink-182 just dropped the rock album of the year. 

I never thought I'd here "Blink 182" and "rock album of the year" in the same sentence - wow.

I always considered them a bit of a novelty, never have taken them serious really.

Mark Hoppus is getting ready to go on Jim Rome to pimp the new release, Rome's been a fan for a long time.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:18:13 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »

I never thought I'd here "Blink 182" and "rock album of the year" in the same sentence - wow.

I always considred them a bit of a novelty, never have taken them serious really.

Same here.

Funny guys though.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »

I always considred them a bit of a novelty, never have taken them serious really.

Same here.

Funny guys though.

yeah I thought they were going to be a novelty act back in the late 90's but they really matured on their self titled album that came out in 2003.  The break was probably the best thing for them.  Tom went on to expand his songwriting with Angels and Airwaves who I am a huge fan of, and Mark and Travis did other projects too.  The new album is just a more of a rock record than pop punk.  Even The New York Times gave it a rave review.  Since they got back together they have been playing sold out shows all over the world, with most venues holding up to 20,000.  I went to the show in Jersey and there were a huge amount of kids who werent even born when Blink's first album came out.  Blink was able to stick around and stay relevant to a new generation, thats very hard thing to do.  While the songs are more mature, the shows still consist of Tom telling Mark that he fucks his dad, so at least that will never change haha.

Heres the new video, check it out, some of you who didn't like Blink originally might dig it, its a cool rock song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpYhGdrknlA
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

Hoppus was good on Rome, still not a fan of his band but he came off well in the interview.

Follow up from Rome after the segment was interesting, slammed GNR and Journey for touring "on the name" for cash grabs...

Rome can be emailed at jim@haveatake.com for those who care to voice their displeasure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »

It's Time For Critics to Reevaluate Blink-182
By Luke Winkie LA Weekly

Critics do their best to ignore Blink-182. After all, it's not easy to get scrunched up with deep opinions about lip-ringed, occasionally naked SoCal troublemakers hawking pre-YouTube music-video softcore on early-morning MTV rotation. Pitchfork didn't even bother publishing a flogging (a la 21st Century Breakdown) of Blink's 2011 comeback album Neighborhoods, much less a review.
In fact, to fans of previous musical generations, Blink-182 might be two notches above nursery rhymes in terms of the grand musical canon. Rolling Stone would call their 1999 album Enema of the State "harmless," which is profoundly wrong. Simply because there's a huge demographic of college kids thinking hard about music who consider Blink-182 one of the most important bands of all time, in about a decade, the band's best songs will achieve the respectable ubiquity of classic-rock radio. Blink-182 is anything but harmless, and they absolutely deserve their forthcoming revisionism.

more here

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/06/blink-182_enema_fuck_guilty_pleasures.php
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: