Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When did Axl Rose reach his career peak?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did Axl Rose reach his career peak?  (Read 8296 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 05:10:33 AM »

, I would have to say that Axl was a motherfucking badass at that Paris show in(1993?). He was pissed, sang with this intensity, and just plain kicked ass and took names. He has never been as on since (and neither was GNR).

That was in 1992, but yeah he sounded much better than the Tokyo dates. Critics & people keep referring to the Tokyo shows as the best ones that time, for me the Paris show is the best from that whole tour.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 04:33:46 PM »

Critics & people keep referring to the Tokyo shows as the best ones that time, for me the Paris show is the best from that whole tour.

Without a doubt. This isn't even debatable.  The Paris show was their finest show of that tour. The Tokyo show was a joke. I actually find it embarassing. Whats the biggest joke is the fact that it was the only one offically released, so the "Critics & people" have really only seen this show from that tour. So fucking sad.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005, 04:28:45 PM »

Madison Square Garden 2002  Cheesy yes ok
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005, 05:51:16 PM »

I use to believe it was during the Illusions period Axl had reached his peak.

Then I saw Axl in Las Vegas at the Hard Rock show (12.29.01) and was blown away. Then I changed my mind and thought he peaked there.

Then I saw the MTV 2002 Video Music Awards performance and was blown away yet again with complete excitement and goosebumps. So I changed my mind again. hihi hihi

So it's best safe for me to not judge Axl's "peak" anymore. Cause I seem to change my mind everytime he brings it to us. I hope I'm blow away again when he releases Chinese Democracy. yes ok

Those are amazing feelings to have.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 08:41:34 PM »

Amazing feelings indeed. I'll never forget the feeling of hearing Illusions for the 1st time. Thats why I keep waiting for CD. Only GNR can send that chill up your spine.

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 03:38:03 AM »

89-90, it all went downhill after that.......I still thought he was cool as fuck for years after that, but looking back now he really wasn't.

wadey
Legend

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »

his best performances came in the late eighties when popcorn was still on drums... the music was just that little bit faster. 
you never know though....we may not have heard the best yet! ok

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »

his peak was defenetly 88-90, best performances.
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 09:39:47 PM »

hmmm...me likes dis thread...nice to go down memory lane Smiley
I wasn't really gnr-concious in the late 80s, so I only knew of them post-N.Rain single...but from what I gather (from old articles/broadcasts, etc) I think Axl's career grew exponentially from the time of releasing AFD until 94, and then a sudden drop in the curve due to his dissapearance. 
How to measure "sucess" is difficult...I mean if we talk dollars, then it's around 1992 or so due to the sales of illusions, the world wide tours, and AFD sales (which are still goin strong 2day)....
but if u measure it by "coolness" or "street cred" then one may say 89 or so (b4 they got all excessive/artistic)
but I think Axl was @ his peak in his carrer in the early 90s...bc: his band was #1, great album sales, huge media coverage, high rotation on music video channels, he was dating a victoria's secret model (such a status symbol for rock stars), he had the $$ to do what he wanted, go where he wanted and take his music to the edge--I mean how many bands out there release their follow up second album (if u don't count lies as a full album) to a hugely successful 1st album, by putting out 2 (!!) albums???  And both being such a departure from their highly popular debut?
Oh if only I could build a time machine and relive the past  Cry   
 Wink

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
elmaestro
Rocker

Turn loose the swans that drew my poets craft...

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2005, 11:01:04 AM »

The Ritz (1988): very awesome performance!!

Pukkelpop (2002): at least evenly so!! But maybe this was caused by the excitement of seeing GNR again and the general athmosphere in the crowd!!

I love some of the illusion shows, but hated Axl changing clothes all the time and I couldn't stand Matt...

BTW Great thread!

The secret of the hanged man.... the smile on his lips...
Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2005, 02:09:22 AM »

In regards to performing live, Axl reached his peak around 88-90. Those performances were so raw and are basically what rock music is at it's core.

In terms of popularity, Axl reached his peak when they released the video for November Rain. I remember almost not being able to turn on mtv without seeing that video since it was so long and was played so much. The same went for radio stations that played the song almost non-stop.

Hopefully Chinese Democracy will prove to be the peak of Axl as a song writer/recorder. Hopefully the time it has taken to record the album will have been well spent and result in something truly amazing.
W Axl Rick
Opening Act

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »

, I would have to say that Axl was a motherfucking badass at that Paris show in(1993?). He was pissed, sang with this intensity, and just plain kicked ass and took names. He has never been as on since (and neither was GNR).

That was in 1992, but yeah he sounded much better than the Tokyo dates. Critics & people keep referring to the Tokyo shows as the best ones that time, for me the Paris show is the best from that whole tour.

Paris 92 was his peak! That is without doubt an incredible performance. His singing, ranting and stage presence will never be surpassed by another Rock front man in my opinion. Not when compared to that show. No fuckin' way!

The November Rain performance and the rant before Live & Let Die are2 amazing moments.

W.Axl.Rick.

W Axl Rick.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 07:48:45 PM »

Well Guys, I really think Axl
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2005, 07:50:20 PM »

Well, I Think axl's best moment was, when he performed Live And Let Die... (MTV VMA) There is where no MARTYR's were allowed but Axl... the coolest One...
wadey
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2005, 03:50:56 AM »

Well, I Think axl's best moment was, when he performed Live And Let Die... (MTV VMA) There is where no MARTYR's were allowed but Axl... the coolest One...

I was at wembley when they shot that video for the mtv awards,, some fucking kick ass concert
31st aug 91'
But i think he gave better performances b4 then  ok

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2005, 04:54:09 PM »

Career peak and best performances are two different things. Clearly the career peak had to be 1992 when GNR was huge worldwide. But ironically 1992, IMO, is not the year of their best shows, or Axl's best performances. The best performances would be in 1988 for sure.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2005, 08:27:27 PM »

when he said, "I don't know if you pronounce the J, but Heretodaygonetohell for

CHARMO

Tongue
Kitano
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2005, 09:19:02 PM »

I've never seen or heard a performance from Axl i wouldn't watch again.  ok
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 10:19:53 PM »

I've never seen or heard a performance from Axl i wouldn't watch again.? ok
Yeah, ok, but by 1992 they all became the same, and kind of boring. I don't even watch 1992 DVDs, only trade them. And it would be interesting to quantify from  which year DVD boots of GNR are most in demand. I would guess, from my personal experience, the pre-1992 period.
mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 11:49:24 AM »

Yep
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: