Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Interesting Duff quote re: "recorded" songs
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Duff quote re: "recorded" songs  (Read 4840 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« on: May 02, 2005, 05:08:05 AM »

Just flicking through some old guitar mags and I came across an interesting snippet from Duff in the October 96 'Guitar World' (with Cobain on cover).

Guns N' Roses, says bassist Duff McKagan, has begun work in earnest on a new album.
"Axl (Rose) is playing guitar and we've even recorded 10 songs with (original GN'R rhythm guitarist) Izzy Stradlin. It's amazing what you can do when you stop arguing about the color of the carpeting." says McKagan.

I wonder what form these recordings took and if they in fact exist? Not alot is known of these years so could be worth some further investigation?

Sorry if posted in wrong area, seeing as it's to do with CD in some capacity, I thought it best here. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:11:32 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 06:27:38 AM »

This may be the infamous Izzy Sessions when Izzy wrote some songs, then reportedly was faxed papers by Axls lawyers requesting ownership of them. I dont think Izzy was happy about it, and nothing ever came of the sessions. We might never know what happened unless Izzy or Duff decided to talk more about it.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 07:17:50 AM »

Izzy wrote some songs, then reportedly was faxed papers by Axls lawyers requesting ownership of them.

Haha, this made me laugh... Cheesy Classic Skogsal!

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »

Just flicking through some old guitar mags and I came across an interesting snippet from Duff in the October 96 'Guitar World' (with Cobain on cover).

Guns N' Roses, says bassist Duff McKagan, has begun work in earnest on a new album.
"Axl (Rose) is playing guitar and we've even recorded 10 songs with (original GN'R rhythm guitarist) Izzy Stradlin. It's amazing what you can do when you stop arguing about the color of the carpeting." says McKagan.

I wonder what form these recordings took and if they in fact exist? Not alot is known of these years so could be worth some further investigation?

Sorry if posted in wrong area, seeing as it's to do with CD in some capacity, I thought it best here. Smiley

Yeah, I've got that same magazine and I remember reading that back then too, and it got me really excited at the prospect of some new GN'R songs with Izzy involved again!

It was also around that time that allot of articles came up regarding GN'R recording a new album.
There were a few articles in Metal Hammer stating similar things, quoting Duff as saying they want to get the album done and out as soon as possible and that they wanted to play Rock In Rio 3, which was supposed to have been in January 1997.

I wonder what happened with that material myself...

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:40:45 AM »

AxlRoses were playing guitar?Huh
yes right!
He is great singer,songwriter and musican but he isn't good guitarist(in rock in rio 2001 he plasyed guitar on madagascar,but...)

I have never seen so many tree
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 08:48:38 AM »

yes right!
He is great singer,songwriter and musican but he isn't good guitarist(in rock in rio 2001 he plasyed guitar on madagascar,but...)

now now now ... we have NO idea of axl's skills on the guitar. I've heard he has really busted his ass since the original band broke up learning to play guitar. Just because he was inaudible at rir3 means nothing. He did do the intro to "dead horse"  played rythm on "shotgun blues" ... then theres the story of that famous place he went to to buy guitars and he went upstairs and was playing the guys guitars for a few hours straight.

I bet axl is alot better then we give him credit for.  ok

starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »

10 songs... that would be enough for new Guns N Roses album  Undecided
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 12:56:17 PM »

yes right!

He did do the intro to "dead horse"? played rythm on "shotgun blues" ...

To be fair these guitar parts are so easy to play even a one armed blind five year old child could pick them up in about 30 seconds... hihi
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 02:16:33 PM »

To be fair these guitar parts are so easy to play even a one armed blind five year old child could pick them up in about 30 seconds... hihi

Roll Eyes whenever you're ready ou can go ahead and post mp3s of you playing shotgun blues.  ok

jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 02:20:28 PM »

Don't be ludicrous, that needless.

Just look at the guitar tab for it, it's simply stuff.  Thats not a negative towards Axl, it's a fact.

Besides watch the Axl and Kurt Loder interview from 1990; he says himself that he can barely play!  He mentions something about struggling with the top two strings.
estranged.1098
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 02:46:21 PM »

Besides watch the Axl and Kurt Loder interview from 1990; he says himself that he can barely play!  He mentions something about struggling with the top two strings.

That's only 15 years ago.  Roll Eyes
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »

Besides watch the Axl and Kurt Loder interview from 1990; he says himself that he can barely play!? He mentions something about struggling with the top two strings.

That's only 15 years ago.? Roll Eyes

Axl could be an amazing guitarist now but my point was that his guitar parts on Illusions are simply to play and require minimal skill.
estranged.1098
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »

That point is correct.  ok
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »

I've always wondered what happened to the music from 1994-96. At some point during that 2 year period, GNR were a 4 member band of Axl,Slash,Duff, and Matt. I don't know what happened to Dizzy during that brief moment in time. It was never explained. The band must have been attempting an AFD style of record. That was probably the reason for trying to bring Izzy back. As far as I'm concerned, what went on during that 2 year period is just as mysterious as this whole saga of CD.

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »

I've always wondered what happened to the music from 1994-96. At some point during that 2 year period, GNR were a 4 member band of Axl,Slash,Duff, and Matt. I don't know what happened to Dizzy during that brief moment in time. It was never explained. The band must have been attempting an AFD style of record. That was probably the reason for trying to bring Izzy back. As far as I'm concerned, what went on during that 2 year period is just as mysterious as this whole saga of CD.

Paul Huge was involved with the band around this time. Matt mentioned Huge yelling at Slash one day, then Huge and Matt later got into an argument over what happened. Slash said Axl wanted GNR to sound more Grunge. Axl mentioned Pearl Jam as how he wanted the influence of the record to sound. Slash said how much he fucking hates Pearl Jam and refused. The argument about the direction lasted about a year, with Slash pointing out Pearl Jams fall from popularity in the mid-90s as reason to NOT sound?like Grunge. Slash soon left the band. Izzy seemed to have a rough experience as well, but i only heard about his story one time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:31:31 PM by jabba2 » Logged
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 05:48:16 PM »

Paul Huge was involved with the band around this time. Matt mentioned Huge yelling at Slash one day, then Huge and Matt later got into an argument over what happened. Slash said Axl wanted GNR to sound more Grunge. Axl mentioned Pearl Jam as how he wanted the influence of the record to sound. Slash said how much he fucking hates Pearl Jam and refused. The argument about the direction lasted about a year, with Slash pointing out Pearl Jams fall from popularity in the mid-90s as reason to NOT sound?like Grunge. Slash soon left the band. Izzy seemed to have a rough experience as well, but i only heard about his story one time.

grunge ? I thought it was techno ?  Roll Eyes

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 06:02:09 PM »

just one question, what the hell do you all refer to 'techno' as? to me its trippy dance music from the early 90s - crap like '2 Unlimited' and 'No Limits'

i take it thats not what you're on about! lol?

bob

Back In Power
estranged.1098
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 07:10:41 PM »

Paul Huge was involved with the band around this time. Matt mentioned Huge yelling at Slash one day, then Huge and Matt later got into an argument over what happened. Slash said Axl wanted GNR to sound more Grunge. Axl mentioned Pearl Jam as how he wanted the influence of the record to sound. Slash said how much he fucking hates Pearl Jam and refused. The argument about the direction lasted about a year, with Slash pointing out Pearl Jams fall from popularity in the mid-90s as reason to NOT sound like Grunge. Slash soon left the band. Izzy seemed to have a rough experience as well, but i only heard about his story one time.

I'm sorry man but that's a load of crap.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 07:13:08 PM »

First it was gonna be an AFD style record, then a grunge record, then a techno record. Who would've ever believed that Axl would start trying to follow trends? Recording covers and trendfollowing were the downfall of the band. Extremely sad. I would've loved to have seen the look on Izzy's face when Axl said he wanted to do an album like Pearl Jam. Izzy is probably still sick with disgust.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 07:23:19 PM »

yes right!

Gary Sunshine ( I think it was him) said how picked it up very well and it seemed like he had been playing for ten years (that was back in 98)

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: