Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Question about learning new songs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about learning new songs  (Read 3258 times)
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« on: May 25, 2005, 06:26:16 PM »

I know this is a dumb question but how are you supposed to know what fingering to use when playing something like the introduction to My Michelle for example. Should I just play it in position or does it really matter? I have learned a bunch of songs and basically just gone with whatever felt comfortable but it just recently dawned on me that I might be developing a bad habit. Any advice would be appreciated. beer

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 04:35:24 PM »

I think if it sounds the same as what youre tryin to learn it's OK.
I don't thinkit matters too much unless you're in like a tribute band or something.
I do that sometimes too. Whatevers comfortable, unless u want to actually play it the original way/ peace

What's so civil about war anyway?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 10:16:22 AM »

Fingering is not really important, but u need to ensure that ur pinkie doesn't get left out (or u'll compromise on speed)... Most people who learn guitar by themselves tend to forget the little finger. Although I've seen guitarists like Michael Schenker use only three fingers most of the time, this is not a good practice. An easy way to ensure u use ur little finger is to divide the fretboard into 4-fret boxes when u practice ur scales(box-patterns) and use ONLY the little finger for the 4th fret of any box. But if ur really comfortable with 3 fingers and can play fast enough with them, "Anything Goes"!  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 07:20:50 AM »

Clapton never uses his little finger Wink

I taught myself and I did leave out my little finger, I stared incorparating it into some of the licks I use regularly and soon got it up to the standard of my other fingers. I think a reason why self taught people leave it out is because it is harder to get moving independantly than the others. ok
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: