Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Interview with Richard Fortus - Part II
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview with Richard Fortus - Part II  (Read 10009 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« on: June 30, 2005, 01:39:22 PM »

Interview with Richard Fortus - Part II
30 June 2005, 8:57 AM

Speaking about musical instruments, how many guitars do you own?

I guess I own about 100 guitars

What is your favorite guitar?

I don't really have a favorite, but if I had to pick one electric guitar, I guess it would be one of my Les Paul Signatures. They were made in '73 and were only made for a short time. Nothing else sounds like them. I have 2 and they are both gold tops.

What is your most recent purchase?

My most recently purchased guitar, is a '60 Kay, black Les Paul-type of thing. I am setting it up for slide. It's sort of like a Jimmy Reed model.

What gear are you using for your current tour with Nena?

With Nena, I am using a guitar that First Act guitars built for me. It's based on the aforementioned Les Paul Signature. However, it looks more like a Black Falcon. The strings go through the body like a tele. It is mostly solid, with tone chambers. Very heavy, but sounds amazing. The electronics are based on a Signature. Looks like a 60's pawn shop guitar, but plays and sounds amazing. For amps, I am using a Cornford Hellcat. It's a class A, 50 watt head. Cornford's are the best amps in the world. I am also using a Mosferatu overdrive and a zen drive (both from Hermida electronics), and a Hiwatt tape echo. The Hiwatt is a new tape echo, I actually am using 2 different ones with Nena. Nothing beats a real tape echo, and the cool thing about the Hiwatt is that the heads disengage when there is no signal being passed through the unit. So, you save tape and heads from wearing out. Also, it has a vco pedal that will sweep the speed of the delay (ala Tommy Bolin), and it has 2 separate play heads for 2 different times like a Space Echo. Really cool box! Plus it sounds great. I'm also using a Sex Drive and a Foxx fuzz. I also recently switched to Rotosound strings from the UK. They are amazing. Great tone and very dependable.

What gear will you use with Guns n'roses?

With Guns, I will be using assorted guitars (mostly First Act and Gibson). I will also be using the Cornford 100 watt stacks. I will also be using the Hermida pedals and the Sex Drive, as well as the Hiwatt tape echoes.

How long have you been playing guitar?

I've been playing guitar since i was about 12 or 13.

Who are your heroes?

I grew up listening to Robert Fripp, Snakefinger, Adrian Belew, Jeff Beck, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, Peter Green, Steve Howe, Brian May, Buddy Guy, Albert and BB King, God, i could go on forever.

How did you discover the Jellifish tool, and what are your thoughts on it?

I think that I read something about the Jellifish and ordered one on-line. I'm always looking for new sounds, the Jellifish blew my mind. It's an amazing tool. Very simple, but so effective. There are so many different effects you can create with it. I immediately ordered about 20 to give to my guitarist friends. Some people totally get it and some don't. You have to work with it and be creative with it. It takes some getting used to, but it's well worth the effort for me. It's not for your average guitar guy, looking to play rock or blues. It's a very gentle, subtle tool, that is more for creating textures and uncommon tones. I love it for creating zither-ish type sounds on accoustic. If you strike close to the bridge, it gives you a very thin, chimey sound. Great for arpegiated single not lines. Or, you can play very straight, whole-note chords towards the neck for more textural/ambient sounds. I've used the Jellifish with a Godin Glissentar and with smaller octave guitars. It's ideal for more cinematic music.

Have you recorded with it?

I've used it on a number of film scores, video game scores and commercials and tv themes, as well as records.

Have you incorporated the Jellifish into the GN'R sound?

I didn't use it on the Chinese Democracy record, as most of my parts were done by the time I discovered the Jellifish.

Written by bigboss

Source: http://www.sp1at.com/item.php?id=548

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 02:13:20 PM »

Thanks Voodoochild.  Cheesy I love reading what each GN'R guy (actually) says/writes.

Who are your heroes?

I grew up listening to Robert Fripp, Snakefinger, Adrian Belew, Jeff Beck, Neil Young, Frank Zappa.......

convincing, very much.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:17:58 PM »

I think that I read something about the Jellifish and ordered one on-line. I'm always looking for new sounds, the Jellifish blew my mind. It's an amazing tool. Very simple, but so effective. There are so many different effects you can create with it. I immediately ordered about 20 to give to my guitarist friends. Some people totally get it and some don't. You have to work with it and be creative with it. It takes some getting used to, but it's well worth the effort for me. It's not for your average guitar guy, looking to play rock or blues. It's a very gentle, subtle tool, that is more for creating textures and uncommon tones. I love it for creating zither-ish type sounds on accoustic. If you strike close to the bridge, it gives you a very thin, chimey sound. Great for arpegiated single not lines. Or, you can play very straight, whole-n ideal for more cinematic music.

http://www.jellifish.com/techniques/mp3artists/RichardFortus.html
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:20:11 PM by AdZ » Logged
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »

I like the fact he is talking about GNR like it's definitely happening..tour, cd release... ok   At least this confirms his parts are finished.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »

I like the fact he is talking about GNR like it's definitely happening..tour, cd release... ok? ?At least this confirms his parts are finished.

lol, i love how gnr fans will settle for anything when it comes to news. Cool

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »

I think that I read something about the Jellifish and ordered one on-line. I'm always looking for new sounds, the Jellifish blew my mind. It's an amazing tool. Very simple, but so effective. There are so many different effects you can create with it. I immediately ordered about 20 to give to my guitarist friends. Some people totally get it and some don't. You have to work with it and be creative with it. It takes some getting used to, but it's well worth the effort for me. It's not for your average guitar guy, looking to play rock or blues. It's a very gentle, subtle tool, that is more for creating textures and uncommon tones. I love it for creating zither-ish type sounds on accoustic. If you strike close to the bridge, it gives you a very thin, chimey sound. Great for arpegiated single not lines. Or, you can play very straight, whole-n ideal for more cinematic music.

http://www.jellifish.com/techniques/mp3artists/RichardFortus.html
It sounds great. Richard Fortus has a lot of talent.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 02:52:38 PM »

Glad they got Richard. And nice to see he is speaking about GNR in the future tense.

Its not much but still positive news.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 02:55:45 PM »

I like the fact he is talking about GNR like it's definitely happening..tour, cd release... ok? ?At least this confirms his parts are finished.

What do you expect when we haven't had "official" news in a year and a half? Roll Eyes

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 04:16:49 PM »

The site says it started in november 2003... And Fortus said he had his parts done when he discovered the Jellifish (wich sounds really good) tool. Looks like he didn't record anymore for GNR since then at least...

If his parts are done since 2003, so he didn't record anything to replace Buckethead's parts. So it looks like Buck's work will be on CD. Wink

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »

The site says it started in november 2003... And Fortus said he had his parts done when he discovered the Jellifish (wich sounds really good) tool. Looks like he didn't record anymore for GNR since then at least...

If his parts are done since 2003, so he didn't record anything to replace Buckethead's parts. So it looks like Buck's work will be on CD. Wink

The site started in 03.  It doesn't mean that he discovered it then.  He could have discovered the jellyfish well after.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 04:45:56 PM »

I like the fact he is talking about GNR like it's definitely happening..tour, cd release... ok   At least this confirms his parts are finished.

What do you expect when we haven't had "official" news in a year and a half? Roll Eyes

It's true and it's different questions, not the same old when do you think cd will be released and the it's 99% done crap.  I mean this really isn't news but at least it's positive towards GNR coming back.   

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 05:48:06 PM »

Wow, someone uses future tense when talking about GnR......brilliant.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »

Part two was a lot better than part one.  ok

Interesting list of heroes.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 06:11:03 PM »

All I see is another contradiction. First, Richard and Robin were alternating lead and rythmn. Now he's back to saying his parts were done along time ago. Richard, make up your fucking mind!!

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 06:19:41 PM »

All I see is another contradiction. First, Richard and Robin were alternating lead and rythmn. Now he's back to saying his parts were done along time ago. Richard, make up your fucking mind!!
Uh, what?
He could have said that about live performances... Tongue

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 06:33:24 PM »

James, maybe Richard meant that in the future, during live performances and any future recordings, he and Robin would be alternating between lead and rhythm duties?

Ali
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 06:41:37 PM »

Ali and VoodooChild, you're wrong. He was talking about right NOW. I mean no disrespect when I say this to you guys, but its people like the two of you who will ensure that we wait another 5 or 10 years for this thing. If everyone just sits there and nods at everything they say, no matter how ridiculous the comment, they will keep spewing the same shit for years.

visionary432
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 06:58:46 PM »

I mean no disrespect when I say this to you guys, but its people like the two of you who will ensure that we wait another 5 or 10 years for this thing.

I mean no disrespect when I say this to you, but shut the fuck up. What a stupid thing to say. I know I'm not supposed to bash other posters, but you're particularly annoying and generally an asshole.

And on topic, cool interview. Surprisingly in depth answers on his equipment. I really like some of the tracks Fortus has up on his official site. He plays with a lot of feel, which is great to see from a guy in Guns N Roses.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »

Ali and VoodooChild, you're wrong. He was talking about right NOW. I mean no disrespect when I say this to you guys, but its people like the two of you who will ensure that we wait another 5 or 10 years for this thing. If everyone just sits there and nods at everything they say, no matter how ridiculous the comment, they will keep spewing the same shit for years.
Oh, that made me laugh. People like us, huh? Let's be fair:

What is the current guitarist situation in GN'R?

At the moment, Robin Fink and I are the only guitarists in the band. We switch off between lead and rhythm.

I don't know where did you see that he was ONLY talkin' about Chinese Democracy's recording. As far as I know, he could be:

1) recording another songs for the next 2 albums (that's STILL possible)
2) in studio with Finck, to rehearsals for an upcoming GNR tour
3) just talkin' with Finck by phone/mail/email/whatever about who gets wich solo...

Please, stop acting like a smart guy and shut up. You know nothing and people like you only wants to whine about everything.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »

James, I cannot even begin to fathom how any delays in the album's release would have anything to do with people like VoodooChild and myself.  How is that up to anyone in this world but W. Axl Rose?

What are we supposed to do, go up to Richard, Tommy, Robin, Brain and the rest of the band, put a gun to their head and ask them what the true status of the record is?  It's not up to them when the record will be released in the first place!

It's up to Axl and no one else.  Not me, VoodooChild, other fans, or any other band member.  Period.

Ali
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: