Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  IZZY OR GILBY?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IZZY OR GILBY?  (Read 21647 times)
duffslover
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:25:17 AM »

I CAN'T DECIDE WHO I LIKE MORE, IZZY OR GILBY?

SURE, IZZY IS FABULOUS AND THERE WOULDN'T BE A GN'R WITHOUT HIM BUT GILBY IS SO COOL AS WELL.

IZZY: GORGEOUS, GREAT ALBUMS, AWSOME WRITER, COOLEST GUY ON THE PLANET. drool  smoking  love

GILBY: SEXY, GOOD ALBUMS, STRONG AND UNIQUE  ok  beer  drool

OK.....FROM THAT PATHETIC LIST I MIGHT CHOOSE IZZY.............YEAH, IZZY RULES!!!!!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?     
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:43:19 PM »

Izzy was much more important to GN'R.  That being said Gilby is an awesome dude.  I've talked about me meeting him countless times on this board, so I'll spare you guys that story again, but they're both really cool guys and great song writers/musicians.  I'll always prefer Izzy though.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Cubb
Rocker

Get In The Ring!

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »

Fuck wat a question! well i've never really forgiven izzy for leavin the band,but iv never really forgiven gilby for taken his place.

They are both awsum guitar playrs,they can both sing,izzy is a brill song writer but sayin that iv never heard any of gilby's solo work, is it any good?

my heart is still lyin with afd so im gonna say izzy, but like i said iv heard a lot more of izzy's work than gilby's so im probly not the best person to choose.just my opinion.
 peace
Cubb

2 often we lose sight of lifes simple pleasures remember when someone anoys u it takes 42 muscles in ur face to frown but it only takes 4 extend ur arm an BITCHSLAP THE MOTHERFUCKER IN THE FACE!R&FnR!
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:49:38 PM »

Izzy was definetly a key member especially in the song writting department. Although I prefer Gilbys solo work to Izzys but thats just me. Its a shame that guns fell apart when it did, it would have been interesting to hear an original album by them with Gilby on board.

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:28:40 AM »

Gilby's solo stuff is very good.  I saw him live and his songs were excellent.  I'd love to pick up one of his albums.  His song Tiujana Jail is awesome.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 05:56:25 AM »

I think Izzy wrote better stuff while he was in GN'R, but comparing Izzy's and Gilby's solo stuff, I prefer Gilby's.

I've also heard from people that have seen him live, that Gilby is quite a good lead guitar player too, although we never saw much of that in GN'R, cause that was Slash's territory. So it's hard to say who's the better guitarist of the two.

I was hoping Gilby would hook back up with Matt, Duff & Slash again in VR.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
makane
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:46:25 AM »

I like Izzy more. Gilby didn't really give any material for Gn'R, just played Izzys part.
Btw, Slash plays on Tijuana Jail  rofl

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »

I like Izzy more. Gilby didn't really give any material for Gn'R, just played Izzys part.
Btw, Slash plays on Tijuana Jail? rofl

I did not know that...very cool.  Never heard the studio version of that song.  Do they break into the My Michelle riff in the studio version?

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
makane
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 06:41:21 PM »

Btw, Slash plays on Tijuana Jail? rofl

I did not know that...very cool.? Never heard the studio version of that song.? Do they break into the My Michelle riff in the studio version?

actually he plays on Cure me... or kill me... & Tijuana Jail. what comes to that riff, atleast i havent noticed it.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 04:42:40 AM »

Like Makane said Slash plays both on Cure Me.. and Tijuana jail and they don't break in the My Michelle riff in the studio version. Also Matt plays on Tijuna Jail aswell. Gilby said that those two songs are his favourite songs of everything he wrote.

Gilby's stuff is pretty cool, I like it more then Slash and Duff's solo stuff, but Izzy is by far my favourite.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 06:03:29 AM »

Gilby didn't have the opportunity to show what he could do in GNR so its an unfair comparison

For solo albums, Gilby stuff is much more to my personal preference and Pawnshop Guitars is maybe the best ex-gunners album, though Electric tears and Ain't life grand are at least as good

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 02:32:03 AM »

Obviously Izzy, for reasons already mentioned. I have a question for you guys about Gilby. When you heard 'Cure Me..or Kill Me' for the first time, did you guys think he wrote the song to be done in GNR? I bought that album when it first came out, and that song had such a GNR vibe to it, I had a feeling he meant it to be on a new GNR record. The music, the lyrics, just the feel of it was so GNR. It sounded like something Axl would sing. Someone mentioned how sad it is that a new album wasn't done in 1994 while he was still in the band. Very true. I remember how positive Gilby was about GNR, and how he said they were making progress on a new album. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was fired. A decent explanation has never been given on why he was fired, and I've always had a feeling his departure played a major role in the band's 94-95 disintegration. I wonder if Axl could go back, would he still fire Gilby? If Izzy's departure was the beginning of the end, then Gilby's firing was the end.

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 03:57:01 AM »

Gilby said in an interview that Cure Me... was the last song he wrote for the album, basically the album was done and he wrote the song and decided to quickly put it on the album.
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 04:14:29 AM »

I am one of the very few people from generation that would say Gilby over Izzy if we can't have both.
But then again,  95% fans would say AFD was GNR best album and I would say Illisions (Estranged, Coma,  Dead horse,  Breakdown,  Locomotive,  Back off,  Double talkin jive,  Pretty tied up,  Civil war,  Don't  cry,  Nov.  rain, Bad apples,  You could be mine...).

Izzy - great guy but - too little life in him.    He never seemed to really live r'n'r but he likes music in general.
One thing that I thought was pathetic,  Izzy went to the WC,  took you know what and asked a photographer on the tour bus to take a picture of it cause that was the biggest he ever had... I mean c'mon...

Gilby - great guy,  both great musician and vocalist.   He had much more emotions with him and wasn't flexible towards anyone (just like Izzy).   He seemed to be more of the rocker but not too wild.   He had his famil with him during the Illusions tour which I thought was great.  Just bigger rock image and better stage presence.
He never acred on the stage as if he was bored.  Izzy did...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 04:20:39 AM »

Good thing he did, because its the best song on the album. It would've fit nicely on a 1994-95 GNR album. If only things could have turned out differently. Oh well. "Cure Me.." is one of the most killer opening tracks to an album. Ever. Its a great album, but the songs dont live up to that opening track. Thats one of the reasons I always thought it was meant for a GNR record. Its like he wrote his best song for GNR, it was rejected or the band wasn't ready to record, so he put it on his solo album. I'm still surprised at the minor response this song received. Definitely the best song on the radio in the fall of 1994.

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 11:14:55 AM »

I am one of the very few people from generation that would say Gilby over Izzy if we can't have both.
But then again,? 95% fans would say AFD was GNR best album and I would say Illisions (Estranged, Coma,? Dead horse,? Breakdown,? Locomotive,? Back off,? Double talkin jive,? Pretty tied up,? Civil war,? Don't? cry,? Nov.? rain, Bad apples,? You could be mine...).

Izzy - great guy but - too little life in him.? ? He never seemed to really live r'n'r but he likes music in general.
One thing that I thought was pathetic,? Izzy went to the WC,? took you know what and asked a photographer on the tour bus to take a picture of it cause that was the biggest he ever had... I mean c'mon...

Gilby - great guy,? both great musician and vocalist.? ?He had much more emotions with him and wasn't flexible towards anyone (just like Izzy).? ?He seemed to be more of the rocker but not too wild.? ?He had his famil with him during the Illusions tour which I thought was great.? Just bigger rock image and better stage presence.
He never acred on the stage as if he was bored.? Izzy did...

Actually, Izzy had his wife and dog with him aswell on UYI Wink

You can see before he left during UYI he was really unhappy, no smiles and he just stands there...bored like you said. There's a big difference between that and the Ju Ju Hound videos from '92 where he's jumping around and smiling. But I guess he was unhappy in GN'R with Axl's tantrums and Slash and Duff's alcohol and drugs abuse..
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 08:07:52 PM »

Izzy
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 04:21:39 AM »

Yeah, I don't know if Cure Me was meant for GN'R or not, but I most definitely picture Axl singing it.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 10:28:17 AM »

Gilby all the way

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 11:20:11 AM »

Izzy of course.
they are both very talented, but Izzy wrote some really kick-ass songs.
it's hard to accept someone new when u;ve loved the person their replacing for so long.
gilby's cool, but izzy is God.

(plus he's gorgeous too!!! Wink)

What's so civil about war anyway?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: