Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment  (Read 34459 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« on: August 16, 2005, 10:59:10 PM »

I've asked the question a few times in various threads and no ones been able to supply a satisfactory answer.

In Axls fax message announcing Slash had "quit" GN'R, he says something like "dive in and find the monkey".

Can somebody please enlighten me as to what the hell he's on about??

This has been eating away at me for a long time and I need some closure on this one... please??
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 12:12:34 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 11:07:19 PM »

Maybe its a oxymoron.  As in that statement makes no sense.  As in the reason it made no sense slash left.
And maybe it doesnt, who knows, I dont have a clue. Just my two cents.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 12:02:57 AM »

Ive asked colleagues, friends, family, trawled the internet, google searches and I cant find one definition of this phrase? Could James Lofton be correct in his assertion that Axl was just speaking incoherent nonsense at that point?

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 12:05:23 AM »

I think it has something to do with Slash not wanting to work hard enough on the songs to make them good enough to be put out ex the snakepit stuff. That stuff could have been really really good if it was worked on some more. Thats how I see it anyway.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:11:25 AM »

I think it has something to do with Slash not wanting to work hard enough on the songs to make them good enough to be put out ex the snakepit stuff. That stuff could have been really really good if it was worked on some more. Thats how I see it anyway.

yeah the jist of the statement tends to imply that - you're right, but when looking specifically at "dive in and find the monkey" ,theres no way one could ascertain such a thing from just that???  Huh

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:16:30 AM »

yeah the jist of the statement tends to imply that - you're right, but when looking specifically at "dive in and find the monkey" ,theres no way one could ascertain such a thing from just that???  Huh

Well taken in context its kinda like that kids game where they have this huge thing on rubber balls and they put a stuffed monkey in it and blindfold kids and make them jump in and find the monkey. They gotta work hard at it in order to find what they are looking for. Which kinda relates to slash not wanting to work hard on the material.

*this probably doesnt make much sense but its 2 am and im really really tired*
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 12:24:19 AM »

yeah the jist of the statement tends to imply that - you're right, but when looking specifically at "dive in and find the monkey" ,theres no way one could ascertain such a thing from just that?Huh Huh

Well taken in context its kinda like that kids game where they have this huge thing on rubber balls and they put a stuffed monkey in it and blindfold kids and make them jump in and find the monkey. They gotta work hard at it in order to find what they are looking for. Which kinda relates to slash not wanting to work hard on the material.

there is a game where you do that? If so, you may well have answered the eternal question  beer

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 12:32:10 AM »

there is a game where you do that? If so, you may well have answered the eternal question  beer

yeah they have it at the mc donalds near where i live lol.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 12:36:41 AM »

yeah the jist of the statement tends to imply that - you're right, but when looking specifically at "dive in and find the monkey" ,theres no way one could ascertain such a thing from just that?Huh Huh

there is a game where you do that? If so, you may well have answered the eternal question? beer

yeah they have it at the mc donalds near where i live lol.

really? and it's actually called 'dive in and find the monkey'? or does that just describe how the game is played?

and how exactly would that relate to Slash not being willing to work hard on new material? sorry, Im sure you explained that already

Ive heard of 'pin the tail on the donkey' and I know of a game where you hit an animal of some kind (not a monkey that Im aware of) that is filled with sweets etc...

ive never heard of such a game at my local mcdonalds, where you literally dive in somewhere/something to find a monkey? Huh?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 12:45:13 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 01:08:06 AM »

Its not called dive in and find the monkey, but that basically describes it. Its this huge tank of balls adn they use it for like kids birthday parties etc.

Well the slash part ive taken from several interviews and that. It seems that during 94-95 whenever they were working on new guns material and something was written slash didnt want to develop it to its fullest potential (you can see it with the snakepit stuff and the vr stuff to a degree).
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 10:31:33 AM »

Guess it depends on who you are willing to beleive. The other side of that story is that Slash brought in the material, Axl didn't want it and so it went to Snakepit. Not long after that Axl decided he did want the material, which of course was long gone by then.

Then again, that Snakepit album sucked and we're probably better off that it didn't end up as GnR material.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 11:17:53 AM »

Not sure what he meant in the fax.  However, the fax itself was a major disappointment, and a serious blow to the future of Rock N Roll.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 11:19:34 AM »

Basically Slash wanted a stripped down record withouth any bells and whistles of the illusions. Axl still wanted sound effects and new industrial influences to be added to GNR. A difference in oppinion, Slash wasnt being lazy. ?If someone needs to be labeled lazy it was Axl who recorded no vocals or lyrics during this time.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 11:52:30 AM »

slash was fuckin lazy... he wanted to do the awful snakepit record a gnr record.. that fukcin record was awfull... it didnt propose anything new.. and you have to be seriuos about the context that the music industry was living at that moment.. the raise of alt rock... axl instead insisted to try a reinvent the sound.. to no sound outdated not makin it industrial or grunge or country, just to sound rite with the musical reality of the moment... when slash realized that what axl was doin would be huge... he quit... 

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
makane
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 12:14:12 PM »

Wasn't this threads purpose to find out what that quote ment, not to bash Slash  Undecided?

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 01:19:41 PM »

I've asked the question a few times in various threads and no ones been able to supply a satisfactory answer.

In Axls fax message announcing Slash had "quit" GN'R, he says something like "dive in and find the monkey".

Can somebody please enlighten me as to what the hell he's on about??

This has been eating away at me for a long time and I need some closure on this one... please??

post the whole fax and use it in context

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
madagas
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 01:40:44 PM »

Yea, post the whole fax to show how fucking crazy Axl REALLY is! Axl must still be looking for his monkey because one song in 15 years is a real wild experimental guy! This is the first comment Axl made about putting out a Gnr record without Slash (for those who don't know Axl claims he will put out a Gnr record-12 songs-3 b sides). 1996/97 till now........one song! He's a real visionary! rant
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:26:19 AM by madagas » Logged
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 04:52:55 PM »

Guess it depends on who you are willing to beleive. The other side of that story is that Slash brought in the material, Axl didn't want it and so it went to Snakepit. Not long after that Axl decided he did want the material, which of course was long gone by then.

Then again, that Snakepit album sucked and we're probably better off that it didn't end up as GnR material.

yea, but its a shame that Axl's not working with Slash's material from the last 2 years, because the new stuff would've sounded great with Axl writing the lyrics and signing the vocals. I can just imagine Axl singing "SMF" (different lyrics obviously) & it would've been classic.

MnR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

Yes, Set Me Free is definitely a classic GNR type song, and back in the day would have been huge had GNR recorded it.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »

slash was fuckin lazy... he wanted to do the awful snakepit record a gnr record.. that fukcin record was awfull... it didnt propose anything new.. and you have to be seriuos about the context that the music industry was living at that moment.. the raise of alt rock... axl instead insisted to try a reinvent the sound.. to no sound outdated not makin it industrial or grunge or country, just to sound rite with the musical reality of the moment... when slash realized that what axl was doin would be huge... he quit...?

And Axl had the chance to make that huge, modern sounding record when Slash left in 96....No more interference from Slash!!! Perfect right?

About the "dive in and find the monkey" comment...there is a saying called "more fun then a barrel of monkeys" that people used going way back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: