Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment  (Read 34456 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 05:17:34 PM »

Reportedly Axl made another comment about the Monkey later on to a fan. just because a monkey got computers doesn't mean he won't clap his cuddies or something along those lines... perhaps it's another monkey.

Like Dave said, Please post the whole fax or the link. I haven't seen it.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 05:31:38 PM »

I've asked the question a few times in various threads and no ones been able to supply a satisfactory answer.

In Axls fax message announcing Slash had "quit" GN'R, he says something like "dive in and find the monkey".

Can somebody please enlighten me as to what the hell he's on about??

This has been eating away at me for a long time and I need some closure on this one... please??

post the whole fax and use it in context

sure thing, here it is:

": LIVE!!! From Burning Hills, California...

: Due to the overwhelming enthusiasm and that "dive in and find the monkey attitude"

: #1. There will NOT be a GNR tour.

: #2. There will NOT be an official GNR website.

: #3. There will NOT be any new GNR video's.

: #4. There will NOT be any new GNR involved merchandise.

: #5. There will NOT be a GNR fanclub.

: #6. There will be a new GNR 12 song minimum with 3 original "B" sides.

: #7. However, Slash will no longer be involved in any GNR endeavors, as far has
: not been involved with GNR since April, 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel
: with Zack Wylde and a two-week initial period with GNR in the late fall of 95.
: He has been legally and officially outside of GNR partnership since Dec.31,1995.
: ***********************************************************************************
: Nothing here is subject to change without A Permanant Suspension of the "Pseudo
: Studio Musician Work Ethic".

: Sincerely, W.Axl Rose"

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »

Reportedly Axl made another comment about the Monkey later on to a fan. just because a monkey got computers doesn't mean he won't clap his cuddies or something along those lines... perhaps it's another monkey.

Like Dave said, Please post the whole fax or the link. I haven't seen it.

yes, I recall anoher monkey comment as well - its an interesting preoccupation uncle Axl seems to have with monkeys

ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 06:02:24 PM »

I think its like "Find the needle in the haystack" saying.

Jump in the crap and find the truth (the donkey)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 06:40:11 PM »

Jimmy, I think my theory about the quote is the best so far. I've noticed in this thread that people are still spreading the lie that Snakepit was going to be the next GNR record. This was a lie created by Axl as an excuse for not doing anything in late94-early 95. Slash took a few riffs to Axl and Axl didn't like it, so Slash did Snakepit. End of story. How could snakepit have been a GNR record when Eric Dover wrote most of the lyrics and there were musicians on the record not in GNR? Why people still believe this lie 10 years after the fact still amazes me.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 07:30:17 PM »

Jimmy, I think my theory about the quote is the best so far. I've noticed in this thread that people are still spreading the lie that Snakepit was going to be the next GNR record. This was a lie created by Axl as an excuse for not doing anything in late94-early 95. Slash took a few riffs to Axl and Axl didn't like it, so Slash did Snakepit. End of story. How could snakepit have been a GNR record when Eric Dover wrote most of the lyrics and there were musicians on the record not in GNR? Why people still believe this lie 10 years after the fact still amazes me.

I agree that some of Axls broadcasts are very strange. That 2002 interview where he called Slash a liar and Matt an albatross, the press statement about OMG, the above fax and the Buckethead statement. All very odd passages indeed ...fascinating nonetheless

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005, 07:45:09 PM »

Yeah, its definitely fascinating. But it proves just how insane the guy really is. His lies about Snakepit are also hilarious. Even more hilarious is that there's people out there who believed it.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005, 07:48:08 PM »

Yeah, its definitely fascinating. But it proves just how insane the guy really is. His lies about Snakepit are also hilarious. Even more hilarious is that there's people out there who believed it.

yeah, that was taken a bit far Im sure. But a regular pattern for Axl is to always look to lay blame somewhere - it's always someone elses fault.
Blaming Buckethead for the cancellation of RIR being a little gem

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 07:52:48 PM »

Yeah, using BH as an excuse for no Rio was pathetic. Even more pathetic, he said Buckethead's departure would " take things to the next level". Where's this next level? Pretty much nothing has been accomplished since he left.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 08:36:33 PM »

How is it a lie? Even Gilny said the material that became the snakepit stuff was suppose to be the next gnr album but Axl and Dyff walked out on it because they werent allowed to work on it (develop it).

"So as much as we work on 'em, it doesn't mean anything, because they may never get anywhere. Slash and I are working on some stuff right now together. It's stuff that we put together for the next GN'R record, stuff that isn't gonna make it now. So we're putting something together. We don't know if this is gonna be a Slash solo album or what it's gonna be."
http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=60
POPmetal
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 08:57:09 PM »

How is it a lie?

Of course it's a lie. Everything is always Axl's fault. Don't you know? Shocked
I bet the reason why VR is so plain and mediocre is somehow Axl's fault too.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2005, 09:32:46 PM »

Ive no doubt that some of that Snakepit album would have been what Slash proposed as new Guns material at the time. I recall this being said by Slash when he released the album..

But I find it trite that Axl would infer Slash has a poor work ethic, basically implying he's lazy. Whatever you think of Slash's output (good or bad, and theres been some of both) I think it's a stretch to to call him lazy and blame him for a lack of productivity

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2005, 09:36:18 PM »

while we're at it, whats meant by stating the location as "Burning Hills"?

I kind of like Axl in this fax, indeed a bizarre communication but it makes me laugh for some reason. Grin

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »

I kind of like Axl in this fax, indeed a bizarre communication but it makes me laugh for some reason. Grin

What do you mean burning hills? Like the gret california brush fires?
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:22 PM »

he starts out the message "Live!! From Burning Hills, California!"

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2005, 09:46:56 PM »

OK i thinks thats in refernce to the california brush fires that came close to burning his house down in like 95.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2005, 09:48:47 PM »

I will say it again for the people who don't understand logic. How could an album mostly written by a non-GNR member and music partially written by a non-GNR member be a GNR album?? I'm sure Slash brought some of the snakepit riffs to the GNR table, but its clearly obvious he did not take the snakepit record to Axl.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2005, 09:50:12 PM »

I will say it again for the people who don't understand logic. How could an album mostly written by a non-GNR member and music partially written by a non-GNR member be a GNR album?? I'm sure Slash brought some of the snakepit riffs to the GNR table, but its clearly obvious he did not take the snakepit record to Axl.

the music was mostly written by slash and gilby.... no one is saying the lyrics would have been used by gnr.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 09:52:28 PM »

OK i thinks thats in refernce to the california brush fires that came close to burning his house down in like 95.

nice one! thanks for that  ok

madagas
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 08:14:30 AM »

Well, Axl lived up to his predictions #1-4 and 7! rofl Now, I'm still waiting for #6. hihi James, Axl is not lying and Slash has backed him up on that multiple times. Slash brought alot of instrumentals that ended up as the Snakepit album to Axl and Axl rejected the material-or a good majority of it. End of discussion. He certainly didn't lie. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle-both parties tend to skew the facts a little to their advantage-just like a divorce.? peace Nobody gonna comment on the statement about "legally and officially outside of the partnership"? Axl was crafty!!!!!! ....but obviously a lunatic. Cool By the way, the date of this fax is Oct 30, 1996. One thing I guess I remembered incorrectly was that Axl did not give a date for the album. I always thought he said it would be released the next summer, that may have been MTV talking at the time.? Kiss
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:21:44 AM by madagas » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: