Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment  (Read 34458 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 08:25:33 AM »

OK, lets say the whole snakepit record was rejected by Axl. This brings up an interesting question. Was Gilby's album also rejected? Because some of that album has a GNR vibe. Ever since the first time I heard 'Cure Me Or Kill Me', I could picture Axl singing it and always thought it was meant for GNR. Take the best songs from Pawnshop Guitars, the best songs from Snakepit, the best songs from Believe In Me, and throw in a few Axl ballads, and you've got a pretty damn good GNR record for 94-95.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 09:13:16 AM »

Of course it's a lie. Everything is always Axl's fault. Don't you know? 
I bet the reason why VR is so plain and mediocre is somehow Axl's fault too.

rofl

James, I think what Axl means by Slash being lazy is the fact that he wanted SLash to push the envelope to another leve, another type of sound. Instead of doing the regular GNR stuff Axl wnated to incorportae newer stuff into that. WHether you think thats a right move or not is not the point. But thats what Axl wanted to go with GNR. Slash didnt. Hence we have 2 different bands.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2005, 09:26:46 AM »

James, I think what Axl means by Slash being lazy is the fact that he wanted SLash to push the envelope to another leve, another type of sound. Instead of doing the regular GNR stuff Axl wnated to incorportae newer stuff into that.

Thats not laziness.
madagas
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2005, 09:45:08 AM »

Correct. That is simply a difference in opinion and taste-the classic "musical differences." The reason why a thousand other bands have broke up-no more no less. Sad
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2005, 10:14:22 AM »

it could be considered laziness. Maybe Slash didnt want to put in the time to develop a new sound. Maybe it was easier for him to make a great bluesy riff instead of doin something else.

but overall its a difference of opion,musical direction and tatse.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
makane
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2005, 11:14:58 AM »

it could be considered laziness. Maybe Slash didnt want to put in the time to develop a new sound. Maybe it was easier for him to make a great bluesy riff instead of doin something else.

Come on, you can't be seriouse.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2005, 12:41:29 PM »

Come on, you can't be seriouse.

why if you can reinvent yourself and be great you would do the same things and be mediocre?

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »

it could be considered laziness. Maybe Slash didnt want to put in the time to develop a new sound.

No.  Slash didnt want a "new sound," so time is irrelevant.  So again, its not laziness, and no amount of word-twisting can change that.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2005, 01:13:26 PM »

Attempting to pass off Slash as "lazy" ridiculous.?

There's a huge difference in "lazy" and flat out not believing in a musical direction, not being inspired to follow a lead you see as a step in the wrong direction, a step backwards. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2005, 01:38:40 PM »

im not trying to pass Slash off as lazy. He has done a lot more than Axl since leaving the band. But he was content with what he was doing att the time. And as time has shown he was sadly worng in that style of playing. See Snakepit/VR.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »

... And as time has shown he was sadly worng in that style of playing. See Snakepit/VR.

That's your opinion, which is fine. 

However, characterizing Slash's playing style as "wrong" is for lack of a better term, "wrong" in and of itself.  His progression as a player might not agree with your taste, but it seems your taste for Slash oriented guitar work begins and ends with GNR.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2005, 03:24:35 PM »

Lazy as in too lazy to try something new, something more difficult. It could also be said as not being interested in evolving.

Or the old "musical differences".  Grin

Not lazy as in "too lazy to work". There's a difference.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:16 PM »

Lazy as in too lazy to try something new, something more difficult. It could also be said as not being interested in evolving.

Or the old "musical differences".? Grin

Not lazy as in "too lazy to work". There's a difference.

/jarmo

Sure there's a difference, but even characterizing it as lazy in a sense of "not being interested in evolving" is off the mark as well.? As I mentioned before, he obviously didn't believe in Axl's vision, viewing it as a step backward.? Moving ahead in a direction you have no faith in is hardly evolution, it's more of a betrayal to your own musical progression.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2005, 04:16:33 PM »

im not trying to pass Slash off as lazy.

You kind of are. ?Youre trying very hard to find reasons why he might be considered lazy instead of just being honest and admitting that the notion of Slash being lazy is nonsense.

He has done a lot more than Axl since leaving the band. But he was content with what he was doing att the time. And as time has shown he was sadly worng in that style of playing. See Snakepit/VR.

As Falcon pointed out, thats your own opinion. ?But I would add that time certainly hasnt shown Axl to be any less wrong. ?See "My World"/Nothing.

Lazy as in too lazy to try something new, something more difficult. It could also be said as not being interested in evolving

But as some of us have pointed out, thats not what the word "lazy" means. ?It means disinclined to work; sluggish or slow-moving; of or inducing idleness. ?Slash is the exact opposite, and I think you, youngunner, and others know this but for some reason you guys seem more interested in inventing new definitions for the word to justify such a clearly false premise.

The word "lazy" means something very specific and we all know that it doesnt apply to Slash who is possibly the hardest-working member of GNR.

"Stubborn" is the word you guys seem to be looking for. ?If it sounds like petty semantics, its really not. ?Theyre two different words, and two different meanings. ?Slash wasnt interested in what Axl wanted for GNR, so he couldnt be too "lazy" to try it - he didnt want to do it, period. ?Musical differences is right, laziness is plainly wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:18:28 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »

Indeed the notion of suggesting Slash is lazy is an absurd one...

He has kept himself the busiest of all the original members.

You may have problems with what you perceive as a lack of quality control, but that is a different thing entirely
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:37:54 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »

Well, Axl lived up to his predictions #1-4 and 7! rofl Now, I'm still waiting for #6. hihi

haha this cracked me up - he's pretty much acheived all the goals listed on that fax!(bar the small matter of releasing an album!) What a strong work ethic he has!? rofl

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2005, 05:40:16 PM »

The word "lazy" means something very specific and we all know that it doesnt apply to Slash who is possibly the hardest-working member of GNR.

I disagree. I know what lazy means, but I can see how you could describe somebody who's just comfortable in doing what they've been doing for years, instead of making an extra effort to change things, as lazy.

For example: Like going to a boring job year after year and hating it, but you get paid and it would require an extra effort to actually quit and get a new job. So you keep doing it because it's the most comfortable thing to do.

So in one way that person would be lazy.

In my opinion....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »

For example: Like going to a boring job year after year and hating it, but you get paid and it would require an extra effort to actually quit and get a new job. So you keep doing it because it's the most comfortable thing to do.

This analogy doesnt work because it would have to assume that Slash wasnt happy with doing what he wanted to do (standard GNR-style rock) and we know thats not the case.  Slash wanted to do that style of music.  He didnt want to do what Axl wanted to do, not because he was too lazy to put in the work, but because he didnt agree with it.  Its not a style of music he wanted to participate in for GNR.  Stubborness perhaps, but not laziness in any sense.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2005, 06:26:05 PM »

Of course the example doesn't apply to GN'R. That's why I listed it as an example.  Wink

I still think learning something new requires more effort than doing what you do. For a musician to record 18 songs in his/her old style is probably easier than to record 18 songs in a completely different genre/style.

It's like being told you can't keep your job unless you take a course in how to use a computer. So you say "fuck you, I don't wanna study. I'm going to start my own company where I don't need computers!".  hihi

But I can see what you mean by the stubborn aspect. I think it's just a question of Axl seeing things differently and I can see both sides....

/jarmo

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »

oR, Maybe Jarmo's example does apply to GN'R this time? 

To consider the person who doesn't want to work as hard as you as lazier than you, is not wrong, innit?
Apparently Slash was not such an energetic learner as Axl.
In The following Axl reports that Slash said he didn't work that hard?

According to Rose, part of the delay in building the new model of Guns N Roses has been "educating myself" about the technology that's come to define rock in the nineties: "It's like from scratch, learning how to work with something and not wanting it just to be something you did on a computer." At least one of his former band mates didn't really want any part of that process - "Slash told me, 'I don't want to work that hard,' " Rose recalls.
-Axl Speaks     Rolling Stone, January 2000

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30

Reportedly Axl made another comment about the Monkey later on to a fan. just because a monkey got computers doesn't mean he won't clap his cuddies or something along those lines... perhaps it's another monkey.

Like Dave said, Please post the whole fax or the link. I haven't seen it.

yes, I recall anoher monkey comment as well - its an interesting preoccupation uncle Axl seems to have with monkeys
Tongue the exact words allegedly he wrote to a fan were

"The new band will have all kinds of styles. We just wanted to shake up
the old timers and let the kids know somethin's comin'. Looks like it
worked. I watch all the cheap shots people take out of ignorance and
it just doesn't cease to amaze me. It's funny, just cause you give a
monkey a computer doesn't mean he won't crap his huggies!
"

Maybe it was the same monkey.

Thanks jimmy for posting the whole fax. ok
Now I think I Actually have seen it. I remember the last line.
Whatever, it seems to me that '95 was not the best year for him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: