Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:55:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's "Dive in and find the monkey" comment  (Read 34579 times)
madagas
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2005, 12:04:06 PM »

Falcon, yeah, I know, but it sounds good.....I'm exaggerrating a little.  Undecided
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2005, 12:10:33 PM »

peopel think of Slash they think of GNr not Vr

That's a huge generalization, no different than the Replacements fans who only think of The 'Mats
when Tommy Stinson's name is mentioned.

A bit myopic, don't you think?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dr. light
Headliner

hola soy el piji

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2005, 12:56:23 PM »

it?s simple...ask jimmy page what he thinks about industrial music...and besides that who really fukin want an industrial techno electronic music record coming from guns n roses? lets see...the reason why i star listening to guns n roses was because they fukin rock! they didnt dance...so slash is a great player and believe me he can make that techno shit in a minute but that would satisfy him? mmmm no...thats the reason because he didnt want to do it...not lazyness and speaking of lazyness i think axl is a bit lazy now for about 3 years? he didnt even speak to anyone because he?s to lazy to do it sitting in his house doing nothing when his ex band mates are touring over the world so who is lazy here? and if you axl lovers think that a song like chinese democracy is good you really need to listen to apeetite for destruction again a few times to see what?s good...
just my 2 cents

army of darknes is the best movie ever!!!
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2005, 01:13:23 PM »

too bad contraband is better than oh my god and my world eh?
who says people have to evolve, if something works, don't have to change it

ever heard of the word progress???
i for one am thankful as all hell that axl wants to push his music further.... we haven't heard most of it yet, so we can't really definitely say what it is he's doing... but evolution is amazingly important in the career of an artist. a real one, anyway. because a real artist is never really satisfied with what they have done, but strives to push it further and continuously make it better... and sometimes it takes on an entirely new life, which is when you can definitively say you have succeeded as an artist.

cm'on people, bloody hell, do you want the same old shit rehashed with different lyrics or a slightly different intro?? if that's what you're into listen to linkin park, or velvet revolver...

robots.
makane
Legend

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »

i for one am thankful as all hell that axl wants to push his music further.... we haven't heard most of it yet, so we can't really definitely say what it is he's doing... but evolution is amazingly important in the career of an artist. a real one, anyway. because a real artist is never really satisfied with what they have done, but strives to push it further and continuously make it better... and sometimes it takes on an entirely new life, which is when you can definitively say you have succeeded as an artist.

cm'on people, bloody hell, do you want the same old shit rehashed with different lyrics or a slightly different intro?? if that's what you're into listen to linkin park, or velvet revolver...

Fuck you. Why the hell are you even on this forum? you certainly don't like Guns N' Roses.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2005, 01:34:19 PM »

fuck you. i fucking love gn'r.

it's VR i'm shifty about... i mean bloody hell, their songs all meld together in this one mass of giant...generic metalish rock music... especially considering the talent involved, it was a disappointment.
i said fucking nothing negative about gn'r, i wasn't even talking about gn'r, i was fucking praising axl as an artist. bloody hell...

robots.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2005, 01:34:58 PM »

C'mon people, this ridiculous Axl wanted to evolve wanted to make GN'R's music better is bullshit. We are all Guns N' Roses fans and the GN'R songs made us fans not OMG, The Blues or Silkworms... Where to evolve when you make the best music on Earth? Why should you follow trends when you were the one who made a trend? When grunge came to the picture Axl wanted to be Pearl Jam... later he wanted to be Nine Inch Nails... C'mon, GN'R have to be Guns N' Roses no need for radical changes. I know that some will say that 'you can't play the same music for decades it's boring'. Yes it is, but Guns N' Roses were never boring since they had a cool diversity from day 1 thanks to their different influences.

Back to the topic:

I think the 'dive in and find the monkey' comment meant that (in Axl's mind) Slash had no vision, he wanted to make a straight rock 'n' roll album without masturbating on whistles, noises, MLK quotes etc.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2005, 01:42:42 PM »

no different than the Replacements fans who only think of The 'Mats
when Tommy Stinson's name is mentioned.
Nor should they think of Tommy as GNr right now. He hasnt even released a gnr album yet

Axl wanted to be
That is all I hear about...Axl following trends...Axl "wanting to be"...were you saying the same when Axl wanted to be Aerosmith, Queen, RS, etc? Of course not. During the old era they followed the peopel they respected and loved. They took that and molded it into their own.

How is that different now? Axl likes other types of music. God forbid he should mold that into the GNr sound.

C'mon, GN'R have to be Guns N' Roses no need for radical changes. I know that some will say that 'you can't play the same music for decades it's boring'. Yes it is, but Guns N' Roses were never boring since they had a cool diversity from day 1 thanks to their different influences.
You basically contradicted everything u said. If Axl is trying to be unique they how is he tring to be something else? By him wanting to incorporate newer styles of music to make GNr more diverse how is that being a wanna be? or follwoing trends?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2005, 01:47:42 PM »

[
C'mon, GN'R have to be Guns N' Roses no need for radical changes. I know that some will say that 'you can't play the same music for decades it's boring'. Yes it is, but Guns N' Roses were never boring since they had a cool diversity from day 1 thanks to their different influences.
You basically contradicted everything u said. If Axl is trying to be unique they how is he tring to be something else? By him wanting to incorporate newer styles of music to make GNr more diverse how is that being a wanna be? or follwoing trends?

It's his contradiction, not mine  Kiss

Rollin' on the streets
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2005, 01:48:07 PM »

slash was fuckin lazy... he wanted to do the awful snakepit record a gnr record.. that fukcin record was awfull... it didnt propose anything new.. and you have to be seriuos about the context that the music industry was living at that moment.. the raise of alt rock... axl instead insisted to try a reinvent the sound.. to no sound outdated not makin it industrial or grunge or country, just to sound rite with the musical reality of the moment... when slash realized that what axl was doin would be huge... he quit...?

Is that last sentance a joke? Slash wanted to hard rock music, not anything new. And Axl wil be huge? Where is he now? Fucking no where
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2005, 01:50:39 PM »

C'mon people, this ridiculous Axl wanted to evolve wanted to make GN'R's music better is bullshit.

You don't seem to understand that a band can change and still sound like the same band. Look at U2 going from "The Joshua Tree" to "Achtung Baby". That's my favorite example of a band evolving and trying something different.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2005, 02:08:36 PM »

Just like Jimmy Page didn't create a new identity with The Firm.
Nowadays Very Few know the fact that Jimmy Page already had an identity with The Yard Birds before the Zeppelin debut, to which Zep owes the immediate success both commercially and musically. Musically. Hell, He would have kept the name of "the yardbirds" if he had owned the name.

it?s simple...ask jimmy page what he thinks about industrial music...
Yeah, ask him. He'd tell you about the good in Industrial.
He even states Zep was the alternative of that time.
People like him give any genre its due. IMO.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »

You don't seem to understand that a band can change and still sound like the same band. Look at U2 going from "The Joshua Tree" to "Achtung Baby". That's my favorite example of a band evolving and trying something different.

/jarmo

That's a great example..

Another thing U2 had going for it is the scene they emerged from. ?The college rock element of the early 80's lended itself to letting artists change and reinvent themselves while the 80's Sunset Strip scene created a major pidgeonhole, stereotyping bands leaving diversity by the wayside.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2005, 02:22:35 PM »

/jarmo

...and let me say, Achtung Baby kicks ass! ?

I really wish everyone who loves Slash, Izzy, Duff and Matt so much...go! ?Just leave. ?If you look out your window and see pigs flying, snowballs on fire, or George W. Bush making an intelligent statement, come back! ?By all means! ?Those 3 things will happen before the old GNR ever gets back together again...

Younggunner and ppbebe make the most sense in this thread...by far! ?

-Axl4Prez2004 ? beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2005, 02:28:56 PM »

C'mon people, this ridiculous Axl wanted to evolve wanted to make GN'R's music better is bullshit.

/jarmo

But don't forget that they all wanted to change the sound or at least they all agreed to change. In GN'R only Axl wanted to change dramatically... And although I'm not a U2 expert but for me their old and new sounds isn't as different as old GN'R and Nu-GN'R. BTW I wish you had more example for such a change...

Rollin' on the streets
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2005, 02:50:20 PM »

But don't forget that they all wanted to change the sound or at least they all agreed to change. In GN'R only Axl wanted to change dramatically...

I don't think that's true.

Duff was still in the band after Slash left so I guess he was interested in it a bit....

And although I'm not a U2 expert but for me their old and new sounds isn't as different as old GN'R and Nu-GN'R. BTW I wish you had more example for such a change...

How about The Beatles?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2005, 03:15:59 PM »

.. BTW I wish you had more example for such a change...

I've been a fan of The Cult for years, they reinvented themselves dramatically a number of times over the years. ?

Starting out with the gothic stylings of "Dreamtime" to the neo-psychedelia of "Love" onto the straight ahead hard rock
of "Electric" and beyond. ?

No matter what direction they went, they still all sound distinctively Cult like, exploring new ground while staying true to themselves. ?

Again, these guys came from an entirely different scene and never had the maistream appeal of a GNR, or a U2 for that matter. ?

Bringing this back to GNR, their massive success may have put them behind the 8 ball in a creative sense and quite possibly would have stifled their growth as a band if they'd managed to keep it together for the long haul anyway.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2005, 03:22:31 PM »

Thanks god GN'R didn't take that sunset path.

I don't see Axl has intended to make very industrial/electronic/"alternative" music. He wanted to take the good bits from them and blend these with the traditional GN'R sound. 

Rn'R was born crossbred. So are most of art movements. But as soon as the new trend gets established, the stagnation starts. It tries to keep itself purebred by cloning or inbreeding.

Instead, keep infusing it with new blood and gather no moss. that's What Axl thinks GN'R really is- So I gather from the interviews.

I don't know if Slash held opposite views on this point than the said comment " I don't want to work that hard"

Fuck you. Why the hell are you even on this forum? you certainly don't like Guns N' Roses.

It's not illigal here to like today's GN'R better than yesterdays, is it?
To my knowledge saying "F U" to others is.....
POPmetal
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2005, 03:41:54 PM »

and besides that who really fukin want an industrial techno electronic music record coming from guns n roses?

Me!!! If it's done right and still has a lot of guitars, this could be really good!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:22:30 PM by POPmetal » Logged
POPmetal
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2005, 03:51:14 PM »

The college rock element of the early 80's lended itself to letting artists change and reinvent themselves while the 80's Sunset Strip scene created a major pidgeonhole, stereotyping bands leaving diversity by the wayside.

That's ignorance. It would be true if you compare b-level Sunset bands with an a-level band like U2, but that's just gratuitous. I would be hard pressed to find many bands that went through more artistic changes and reinvented themselves more than Motley Crue.

On the other side of things, look at what college rock has become now. Would you say that Hootie and the Blowfish have reinvented themselves or changed artistically in a positive way? They are just as plain and boring today as they were 10 years ago. And how much diversity is there really between Dave Matthews Band and John Mayer?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:26:58 PM by POPmetal » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: