Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:38:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When did GnR go from all about music to all about money?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did GnR go from all about music to all about money?  (Read 11466 times)
Axl4Pres
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: August 24, 2005, 03:54:36 PM »

I dont konw if this topic has been brought up im sure at has but nonetheless im curiuos this groupl when they first came out completely changed the rock world everyone said they didnt care about what was popular or whatever at the time they did what they wanted however they wanted and it was all about the music but it seems in the past 10yrs it all seems to be about money when you read about axl and the other guys fighting over money and all that shit it makes me wonder where everyones priorities are im not saying this is all on axl or slash and co. i think its obvious its both sides who are at fault in some way shape or form but why has this band we came to love gone from greatest band to come around since the rolling stones become more of a business now then anything else.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:20:41 PM »

Other Axl4pres,

I disagree with your supposition.  If it was "all about the money," you'd be seeing Axl, Slush, Daff, and Mutt on their 5th tour, and 7th or 8th album already.  The very subject of this thread is wrong.

Currently, most folks out there think Axl is dead or in an insane asylum.  (or wish he was  hihi)   This isn't quite the best strategy to "do everything for the money."

Sincerely
-The original Axl4Prez (2004, established in 2003) 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 04:30:59 PM »

Sometime between yesterday and tomorrow.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 04:38:59 PM »

i don't think they are all about the money......

When they started to get more money things got bigger and bigger.

But i don't think money is or has been a driving factor, else we'd have seen a reunion by now Undecided

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 05:11:01 PM »

You can thank slash and duff for making gnr about the money and wanting to whore out their classic songs for stupid truck ads and snapple ads.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:23:53 PM »

Dave, that is just wrong. Ever seen the commercial for GTA:San Andreas? Ever been to a sporting event? Slash and Duff have pretty much moved on. They have both released several albums since the GNR breakup. It is Axl that never moves on and always has to stick his hand in the AFD cash cow. I'm not saying they are 100% innocent in regards to the money and lawsuits, but you cant lay all this shit on them. Axl is a big part of it. Just look at the Sanctuary deal largely based on past success. Also look at the AFD remake. A potential lawsuit is pretty much the only thing that stopped that. What's next: Lies Vol.2? Use your Illusion 3?  Spaghetti Vol.2? Axl says he wants to 'Bury' AFD. Instead of milking it, prove it.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 06:32:46 PM »

Dave, that is just wrong. Ever seen the commercial for GTA:San Andreas? Ever been to a sporting event? Slash and Duff have pretty much moved on. They have both released several albums since the GNR breakup. It is Axl that never moves on and always has to stick his hand in the AFD cash cow. I'm not saying they are 100% innocent in regards to the money and lawsuits, but you cant lay all this shit on them. Axl is a big part of it. Just look at the Sanctuary deal largely based on past success. Also look at the AFD remake. A potential lawsuit is pretty much the only thing that stopped that. What's next: Lies Vol.2? Use your Illusion 3?? Spaghetti Vol.2? Axl says he wants to 'Bury' AFD. Instead of milking it, prove it.

There is a difference using it for a video game or movie. You can use it on somethings but slash and duff want to use them all the time and over and over again. Its a huge difference. As for a sporting event, guns n roses have NO control over if WTTJ is used or not, gnr doesnt make? money off that when they are played.?

How has Axl not moved on? Slash and Duff are the ones who still always use the gnr name eventho they quit the band. They keep proving it time and time again.? What is wrong with the AFD remake? Axl never said he was going to release it, he just did it to get the band into playing those songs.

What about VR playing gnr songs at their shows? OH that is right, that is ok right? I fail to see how axl is milking AFD?
OH and dont say? he is by playing them at the 2002 shows because you know damn well if he didnt you would be first in line crying why isnt Axl playing the classic gnr songs live.

The fact is, slash and duff need to more on, they quit gnr they shouldnt have any say in the old songs and how they are used. Yes they should collect their checks,, and we will find out why they have not very soon.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 06:34:56 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 06:37:10 PM »

You can thank slash and duff for making gnr about the money and wanting to whore out their classic songs for stupid truck ads and snapple ads.

What did Slash & Duff have to do with Paradise City being in 'The Longest Yard'? U know the movie, the biggest  meathead, pice of shit made in 2005, yeah, that one. Can't wait to hear the excuse.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »

Dave, I am actually one of the people who thinks he should only play new material on his next tour. I agree with you about VR. There isnt really a need for them to play GNR tunes. I guess its just to please the crowd. The reason I say Axl milks it is because instead of doing new work, he basically makes his living off the old stuff. Until Axl can do something new, he hasn't really moved on.

Kitano
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 07:13:06 PM »

When you're 20 years old it can be easy to ignore money and concentrate on the music.  However when you're 40 and have a wife and kids who are as accustomed to the good life and all that comes with it you suddenly become very interested in money. 
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 07:32:36 PM »

What did Slash & Duff have to do with Paradise City being in 'The Longest Yard'? U know the movie, the biggest? meathead, pice of shit made in 2005, yeah, that one. Can't wait to hear the excuse.

It was not  used in the movie just the trailer. And again, learn to read. I know its hard but come on now. I said using the songs in movies is one thing but Slash and Duff want to use it for stupid ads and for other stupid shit. They quit guns n roses and really should not even have a say how the songs are used.

I get tired of repeating myself because some people are too slow.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:08:45 AM »

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=10652.0

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:58:20 AM »

hihi

Your dishonesty just gets more blatant with each post.

Please show us evidence that Slash and Duff want to use the songs in truck and Snapple ads.

You dont find it interesting that one of the only commercials a GNR song was used in was for a project that Axl himself was involved in?  Nobody complains when "Welcome To The Jungle" is used to push a video game, as long as its Axl-approved.  You understand that Axl is allowing for GNR songs to be used in commercials, right? 

it was not  used in the movie just the trailer.

You mean the commercial for the movie?  What kind of logic are you using?  Youre arguing his post by pointing out that the song wasnt in the movie, but rather the commercial for the movie...then you add:

I said using the songs in movies is one thing

Huh hihi

If that wasnt enough:

Slash and Duff want to use it for stupid ads and for other stupid shit

Evidence?

There is a difference using it for a video game or movie. You can use it on somethings but slash and duff want to use them all the time and over and over again.

Were not even talking about movies or video games...the songs were used in the commercials for The Longest Yard and Grand Theft Auto.

And again, I ask you for evidence that Slash and Duff want to use them "all the time."  Youre conveniently ignoring the dozens of projects GNR licensed music to (assumedly with Axls approval) and only referencing to the 4 or 5 movies he blocked (one of which being Black Hawk Down, which was a very questionable move on Axls part).  Weve gone through this before, and youve come up very, very short.

As for a sporting event, guns n roses have NO control over if WTTJ is used or not, gnr doesnt make  money off that when they are played

I believe they might...I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that artists are paid small fees each time their music is played at those kind of events.

How has Axl not moved on?

One could reference the last 14 years of almost no new matereial, briefly touring almost entirely on old material, using (or attempting to use) re-recordings of old material material in movies, ranting about ex-members on-stage...Im not necessarily saying I believe he hasnt "moved on," but if I were to use silly criteria similar to yours, I could make that argument.

Slash and Duff are the ones who still always use the gnr name eventho they quit the band

They do?  How?  They play two (occassionally three) of the songs they wrote with their new band, within sets of new music.  But how do they use the name?

Axl never said he was going to release it, he just did it to get the band into playing those songs.

Well, if you want to get technical (and I suspect you would if it was somehow discrediting an ex-member), he kind of did:

"I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out." - Axl (MTV interview 1999, on the re-recorded AFD)

He doesnt say "if," but "when I would be putting it out."  So he certainly entertained the idea, didnt he?

What about VR playing gnr songs at their shows

Yes, they cover 2 or 3 songs in a 16-18 song set.  Would you like to tell us how many old songs Axl performed from 2001 to 2002?

I fail to see how axl is milking AFD?

hihi

Of course you do.

The fact is, slash and duff need to more on, they quit gnr they shouldnt have any say in the old songs and how they are used

Theyve moved on greatly, but moving on doesnt mean relinquishing rights to songs that they wrote.  They have those right legally and morally.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 01:03:17 AM »

Oh booker and his famous quoting of every line of every person in this thread. Ill make it short and sweet.
How do duff and slash still use the name guns n roses? Do you ever see when anyone uses their names, they said slash and duff formerly of guns n roses. That is just one of the many ways.? Oh did? you forget about that?

As for what slash and duff want to use the songs for, its really simple, we dont know all of them because they have not been allowed to do so, but its a fact since they said it themselves that they could be using it for a lot of things.? That is whoring the songs of guns n roses.? They want to get ever drop of money they can from the old songs while they are not even in the band anymore while Axl is selective of what songs are used.

Remember that list that duff and slash gave that were things songs could have been used but Axl never used them. OH did you forget about that too? I love your selective memory. You always have this. You also claim to so know much yet you ask the questions that are common knowledge, why is that?

You still have not gave a reason how Axl is milking AFD. He never did put it out, so you have no leg to stand on.

As for my dishonesty, that is a good one, what have I said that is not true? Do tell. I really wish you would get a life because its really sad you waste so much time here bashing Axl and the new band.

As for how many old songs Axl played in 2002, the last time i checked the band was still called guns n roses or did? you forget that?

You really need to start dealing in facts something you never like to do. You always like to deal with half truths with is your M.O.

Just look at your quote of Axl.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out." - Axl (MTV interview 1999, on the re-recorded AFD)

Axl said he does not know what is going to do with it first.? That means he was not sure if he was going to put it out or not, he even later said in another interview that he was never going to put it out and it was just to get the band into the old songs. So again, you love to deal with half truths.? Keep up the great work.

PS look up what tongue and cheek means since you really cant seem to understand when people use that. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 01:15:20 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

saint seiya
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 01:17:29 AM »

well you do have to pay bills so...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 01:38:34 AM »

Oh booker and his famous quoting of every line of every person in this thread. Ill make it short and sweet.
How do duff and slash still use the name guns n roses? Do you ever see when anyone uses their names, they said slash and duff formerly of guns n roses. That is just one of the many ways.? Oh did? you forget about that?

Haha, so in order to prove your point of Slash & Duff using the GNR name, you refer to other people using it. ?ok ?How expected...

As for what slash and duff want to use the songs for, its really simple, we dont know all of them because they have not been allowed to do so, but its a fact since they said it themselves that they could be using it for a lot of things.?

Theyve talked about movies, and list specific examples in the suit. ?But feel free to show when theyve mentioned anything else (you wont ?Wink)

while Axl is selective of what songs are used.

So Real Cancun, Cant Hardly Wait, The Longest Yard, Big Daddy, End Of Days, Grosse Pont Blank, and several others is "selective." ?

Remember that list that duff and slash gave that were things songs could have been used but Axl never used them.

You mean the list of 4 or 5 songs that I just referenced in my last post? ?

OH did you forget about that too?

And again, learn to read. I know its hard but come on now

I love your selective memory. You always have this. You also claim to so know much yet you ask the questions that are common knowledge, why is that?

I claim to know so much? ?When youre looking for evidence to support those other statements you cant back up, find that "claim" as well and post it up.

You still have not gave a reason how Axl is milking AFD. He never did put it out, so you have no leg to stand on.

In addition to licensing its songs himself, I explained that hes recently toured on its songs and re-recorded its songs for public use (Big Daddy and Black Hawk Down, despite being blocked on the latter). ?

As for my dishonesty, that is a good one, what have I said that is not true? Do tell. I really wish you would get a life because its really sad you waste so much time here bashing Axl and the new band.

Well lets look at the comment that inspired my response:

And Ill just stop there, but please dont mistake that for a lack of material.

As for how many old songs Axl played in 2002, the last time i checked the band was still called guns n roses or did? you forget that?

Right...so how many old songs did the new band play?

You really need to start dealing in facts something you never like to do. You always like to deal with half truths with is your M.O.

Its not only pointless to debate you, but its actually unfair. ?

makane
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 02:30:08 AM »

Booker 1 - 0 Dave

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 06:56:55 AM »

What about VR playing gnr songs at their shows? OH that is right, that is ok right?
Yeah, I've got to agree with Dave here. Playing Guns N' Roses songs when there's only one or two original members of GN'R in the band is wrong.
Almost Famous
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »

I think the more relevent question is at what point specifically did GN'R 'jump the shark'?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 08:29:52 AM »

Playing Guns N' Roses songs when there's only one or two original members of GN'R in the band is wrong.

1.) One or two?  Are you not sure if either Slash or Duff are in the band?  Two is double the original members in the current GNR.  And Matt was a member for about 6 years.

2.) Theyre cover songs for VR.  They cover a lot of songs, and the fact that they co-wrote the songs and still retain rights over them only validates their choice of playing them. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: